THE CONTRACTS THREAD [with updates]

rpfc

Five year deal for untried sun

Gold Coast has recently signed up their prized mini-draft selection in Jack Martin to the end of 2017 with a two year contract extension. In my opinion, this is exactly what we need to do with Hogan. He is obviously a player we have invested heavily in and plan to build a team around, and all Melbourne supporters can see he has the talent to justify such a lengthy contract. In fact, he is probably the only player I have seen on here that is lauded by all, even more so than Jack Viney. Despite locking him long term away from prying clubs, it will finally create some good publicity for the club by showing that our highly rated players are sticking to the cause and are putting their faith in the future of the MFC. Get it done!

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

THE CONTRACTS THREAD

Dawes, Grimes

Clark, Trengove, Jamar (UFA), Garland (RFA), McKenzie, Howe, Jones (RFA), Evans, Gawn, Hogan, Viney, Toumpas, Pedersen,

Frawley (RFA), Tapscott, McDonald, Blease, Strauss, Spencer, Bail, Dunn, Byrnes, Barry, Kent, Jones, Terlich

Watts, Sylvia (UFA), Davey (RFA), Taggert, Tynan, Fitzpatrick, Nicholson, MacDonald, Sellar, Jetta, Davis, Couch ®, Magner ®, Rodan, Gillies, Clisby ®, Stark ®

I thought I'd dig this thread up to see what our options are.

Sadly, I found that Blease, Byrnes and Bail are all contracted for 2014.

Macdonald's gone, and Nicholson, Sellar, Jetta, Rodan and Gillies will join him. That's six spots. Watts/Sylvia are up in the air, and Jamar might be traded. Davey's also on very thin ice. So the options to make room are there, even if some players are contracted.

Edit: Maybe this thread should be moved to the drafting/trading board, and maybe even stickied?

Edited by titan_uranus

For me the decisions looks easy....

Keep:

Watts, Sylvia (UFA), Davey (RFA), Taggert, Fitzpatrick, Clisby (upgrade), Stark retain on rookie list

Delist:

Tynan, Nicholson, MacDonald, Sellar, Jetta, Davis, Couch ®, Magner ®, Rodan, Gillies,

That frees up 8 spots, but Hogan and Clisby will take 2 so leaves us with 6.

Id then trade Jamar for any draft pick we can and even though he is contracted id cut Byrnes.

That would leave us with 8 spots.

Keep:

Watts, Sylvia (UFA), Davey (RFA), Taggert, Fitzpatrick, Clisby (upgrade), Stark retain on rookie list

Delist:

Tynan, Nicholson, MacDonald, Sellar, Jetta, Davis, Couch ®, Magner ®, Rodan, Gillies,

Id then trade Jamar for any draft pick we can and even though he is contracted id cut Byrnes.

Keep:

Delist:

I agree.

I'd trade Jamar for any club that would pick up his contract.

We need to make a statement.

It's not like the best SANFL, VFL and WAFL players couldn't fill the gap anyway.

We are a rabble and we probably wouldn't even beat the best VFL/SANFL sides anyway.

Why delist Tynan??? 2nd year player, still 19. Makes no sense to get rid of him. He has been in good form in VFL until he went off injured last week, was on track for a game. So young, got potential and got fight, leads tackles most weeks for Casey so obviously wants to be out there unlike half of the players in Melbourne's first side. Think he deserves 1 more year, same goes for Taggert.

• Like 6

Why delist Tynan??? 2nd year player, still 19. Makes no sense to get rid of him. He has been in good form in VFL until he went off injured last week, was on track for a game. So young, got potential and got fight, leads tackles most weeks for Casey so obviously wants to be out there unlike half of the players in Melbourne's first side. Think he deserves 1 more year, same goes for Taggert.

I'm not convinced he is or ever will be AFL level. Lacks speed and skills. Very much like a shorter version of Troy Davis. That said both seem to be good trainers and play hard footy. So that means they'd have the edge on a whole bunch who have had more opportunities.

Here is a hardnosed uncompromising opinion. Not aimed to offend and no disrespect intended for any current players.

Delist:

Gillies, Sellar, Magner, Couch, Jetta, Davis, Rodan

Trade for a dime:

Dunn, Bail, Nicholson

Trade for decent mids:

Watts, Tappscott, Blease

Plus retirements for Davey and MacDonald -

Frees up 15 spots, three taken by trades of quality, the rest from draft and rookie.

We bottom out for a year or so but with a whole new breed, dynamic in the side. We recruit players with mongrel and with personality.

I cant see any other way. Money ball or top up wont work when the list is so poor.

Im even open to a trade of Fitzpatrick if he has value. Sorry but no one can be considered safe when your this far behind.

• Like 1

In regards to Tynan and Taggert - only one of them can be kept in my opinion. Taggert is the keeper, has more aspects to like such as size and goal kicking nous.

We cannot afford to keep a heap of players who are only solid VFL at this stage in the hope that they'll lift to AFL standard. It's just stupidity.

I'm sure I had a nightmare that Pederson and Gillies are both contracted for next year *shudder*

Thanks as usual Neeld, you [censored].

Mitch Clark, Chris Dawes, Dean Terlich and Matt Jones all say hello and please request that you not place them in the same "fail" basket as most everything else Mark Neeld did.

In regards to Tynan and Taggert - only one of them can be kept in my opinion. Taggert is the keeper, has more aspects to like such as size and goal kicking nous.

We cannot afford to keep a heap of players who are only solid VFL at this stage in the hope that they'll lift to AFL standard. It's just stupidity.

Thats the thing, we don't know if Tynan and Taggert can make it in the AFL. We need to see first, Tynan played round 1 last year and got 14 possesions, not a standout achievement but certainly not bad for an 18 year old bottom end draft pick at the time. In my opinion its worth giving 1 more year to them both. Shame we couldn't see them more this year. Guess contracts isn't in our hand though, will certainly be interesting to see who they cut come years end.

I would just hate to see our club who is trying to develop a good young team, to cut young players. Think we have some older blokes who are past it, and some 22-25 year olds that just aren't gonna make it. But then again who knows what they will do... the way we have been going something stupid probably will happen.

Keep:

Watts, Sylvia (UFA), Taggert, Fitzpatrick, Clisby (upgrade), Stark retain on rookie list

Delist:

Tynan, Nicholson, Sellar, Jetta, Davis, Couch ®, Magner ®, Rodan, Gillies

Retired

Davey, MacDonald

That frees up 9 spots, but Hogan and Clisby will take 2 so leaves us with 7.

Id then trade Jamar for any draft pick we can , maybe pick upgrade , and even though he is contracted id cut Byrnes.

That would leave us with 9 spots.

THE CONTRACTS THREAD

2014 Primary List Spots Created: 2

2014 Additions: Hogan, ND2, ND20, ND40, ND60, ND 78, PSD2, Free Agent 1, Free Agent 2

I have added the above in the OP for those that want to keep track of how many list spots are freed up for the Draft/Trade/FA period.

Retired
Davey, MacDonald
Delist:
Senior: Nicholson, Sellar, Jetta, Rodan, Gillies
Rookie: Couch , Magner
Trade
Watts, Jamar
This opens up 9 senior positions and 2 rookie places
Senior:
Upgrade Clisby
Hogan
Rookie :
Stark
Unsure
I want Pederson out but we cannot afford it
Sylvia UFA
Jurrah as possible rookie

and even though he is contracted id cut Byrnes.

While I am no fan of Byrnes I cant see MFC paying out any players contract early particularly given the parlous financial situation we are in.

Retired

Davey, MacDonald
Delist:
Senior: Nicholson, Sellar, Jetta, Rodan, Gillies, Tynan
Trade
Jamar

Mitch Clark, Chris Dawes, Dean Terlich and Matt Jones all say hello and please request that you not place them in the same "fail" basket as most everything else Mark Neeld did.

I didn't.

Terlich and Jones were drafted by Viney and Clark and Dawes were good established players.

Neeld wasted precious spots on the list on hacks and has beens.

• Like 1

While I am no fan of Byrnes I cant see MFC paying out any players contract early particularly given the parlous financial situation we are in.

Retired

Davey, MacDonald
Delist:
Senior: Nicholson, Sellar, Jetta, Rodan, Gillies, Tynan
Trade
Jamar

I think you have stolen my list RR!

I agree but add Sylvia and Watts they will leave as well

• Like 1

I thought I'd dig this thread up to see what our options are.

Sadly, I found that Blease, Byrnes and Bail are all contracted for 2014.

Macdonald's gone, and Nicholson, Sellar, Jetta, Rodan and Gillies will join him. That's six spots. Watts/Sylvia are up in the air, and Jamar might be traded. Davey's also on very thin ice. So the options to make room are there, even if some players are contracted.

Edit: Maybe this thread should be moved to the drafting/trading board, and maybe even stickied?

To add to the list of players who are unfortunately contracted:

Blease, Byrnes, Bail, Pedersen, Tapscott.

Tapscott seriously lucky to be contracted, he'd be one of the first out the door IMO if he was OOC. I fail to see what he offers us at all.

Norm Smiths Curse- I agree with most of your list. You say bottom out for a year, well we can't go much lower. Plus some of the 15 names you've mentioned haven't played much this year. If Watts is determined to go to Carlton if must not be for Yarren. Their first round pick plus a swap of other picks. I'm not banking on a priority pick, I would have no hesitation trading our early picks. 18 clubs makes it all the hader.

Edited by Al's Demons

Titan, totally disagree, Tappscott I think will be a very good player. He offers us hardness at the contest, good overhead mark, good disposal, and once he gets his fiteness base up will be able to get to more contests and show this more. Has not done a full pre season yet.

• Like 1

To add to the list of players who are unfortunately contracted:

Blease, Byrnes, Bail, Pedersen, Tapscott.

Tapscott seriously lucky to be contracted, he'd be one of the first out the door IMO if he was OOC. I fail to see what he offers us at all.

I was a Tapscott fan and I agree with titan.

Tappy would also be my first to get the boot, could not get him away from the club quick enough.

Titan, totally disagree, Tappscott I think will be a very good player. He offers us hardness at the contest, good overhead mark, good disposal, and once he gets his fiteness base up will be able to get to more contests and show this more. Has not done a full pre season yet.

Tapscott could be a young Guerra. Then again, he may not become that player.

Tapscott has shown enough to earn the one year left on his contest imo, he'd wanna improve next year though or he will be seeking a new place of employment.

• Like 1