• IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Changes for next week

DeeZee

Didnt Tapscott hurt his hip again on Saturday? Surely he must be in some doubt. At quarter time he was our leading possession gatherer, yet he only had a handful more before being subbed out in the third. He certainly was noticeably hobbling when he went off.

He was very good against St Kilda also. Cant see him going to Casey.

Out: Sellar, Tapscott.

In: Fitz/ Watts, Bennell.

Sellar played poorly on the weekend and did not do much in the wet against St Kilda (not a big man's day). I actually think Sellar has a good pair of hands and can take a contested mark. He is also a lovely kick of a football (when he gets it!). I can see why he struggled to hold a game at Adelaide. However touting Martin to take his spot atm is not the answer. If anything Martin just was not holding his marks and was not having much impact in the centre.

Wouldn't have thought Sellar was a lovely kick of the football at all. Has missed two very simple set shots this season. With limited opportunities, he must take those.

Who was Garland matched up on?

If you're insinuating he was matched up on Johnson, he had a couple of opponents. One of them Johnson, yes. But Johnson kicked the majority of his goals from midfield. Pretty much all of them in fact. Garland was good. Affected a couple of good spoils and gave us much needed run off half back. He's not the problem.

• Like 1

Binman, can I get this right Watts doesn't get a recall based on laying 1 tackle even knowing he had it 20 times and kicked 4 goals, but we keep Bail in that played as that pressure small forward and layed 1 tackle kicked no goals and had it 7 or 8 times.

I don't think his possession and goal stats is what he will be judged by. Bails performance is irrelevant to Watts situation. Neeld mentioned he was to back to Casey to work on specific things, in particular pressure and tackling. I think its reasonable to assume meeting the related KPI's will be criteria for a recall.

• Like 1

I'd keep faith in Sylvia. Has been steadily improving the past couple of years and he's just coming back from a spinal fracture. It may only have been a transverse process, but trust me he'd still be sore and he would have had a few weeks off training altogether. Will come good. Should perhaps have had a game a Casey before playing his 1st game, but now that he's had a full game and a bit under his belt I have confidence we'll see something from him in the next few weeks.

If you're insinuating he was matched up on Johnson, he had a couple of opponents. One of them Johnson, yes. But Johnson kicked the majority of his goals from midfield. Pretty much all of them in fact. Garland was good. Affected a couple of good spoils and gave us much needed run off half back. He's not the problem.

Johnson spent most of the game forward and had 35 touches. Garland was standing next to him at all centre set ups when he was not in the middle. Make of that what you will.

Sellar out , he can get some form in the 2's.

As much as it pains me have to agree Sylvia is only just back after a significant injury and will improve (please improve to your potential!)

Is it a bye for Casey or not? (if so then Watts in, as no point having him sit out doing jack Sh@*)

We are playing the Hawks who smash us in contested possession so no strong body players get dropped for mine. Not sure how having both Davey and Bennell in the same side helps us against the Hawks.

While 0-6 is poor, the best two games have been the last two. Wholesale changes are disruptive rather than beneficial.

Outs:

Sellar as he adds nothing. In recent games, opponents have struggled when jamar is in the ruck but really enjoyed it when Sellar is there. And he hasn't added anything else around the ground.

Tapscott because I think he's injured (ankle? hip?)

Ins:

Fitzpatrick (to replace Sellar) unless Neeld wants Mitch Clark to relieve Jamar, in which case Watts to come in

Bennell for Tapscott. bennell to play HBF with Grimes into the midfield. I can't understand calls for Bennell to play forward given he seems to have 'clicked' at Casey playing in the backline.

I'd have Bartram on Rioli and Bennell on Osborne.

And Bail and Bate should stay - Bail had a poor game against Geelong but has otherwise been a key player. And Bate has surprised me with his on ball performance coupled with goal scoring.

And finally, I keep saying Dunn should be dropped because I don't think he adds much. But I suspect he'll again be picked and again be the sub.

As per Herald Sun:

MELBOURNE

INJURED:

James Strauss (leg) test

Brad Green (finger) 1 week

Josh Tynan (foot) 2-3 weeks

Jack Viney* (jaw) 6 weeks (father-son pick not on AFL list yet)

Jordan Gysberts (jaw) 6 weeks

Neville Jetta (ankle) - indefinite

Max Gawn (knee) season

Michael Evans (back) indefinite

ON THE BLOCK: The Dees’ spirit the past three weeks has been sensational but their wins column remains empty. James Sellar is battling to make a real impact at either end while Colin Sylvia was disappointng on Saturday but should be safe. Luke Tapscott finished with the red vest on Saturday, while Rohan Bail played the whole game but amassed only three kicks.

ON THE CUSP: Not sure what more Tom Couch needs to do to debut. He had 30 touches on Saturday and inspired Casey to a huge VFL upset against the Cats. Liam Jurrah sparkled when he had it but won’t be back just yet, while Jack Watts kicked four goals but early reports are he’ll remain in the VFL one more week. Jordan Gysberts is out for at least six after breaking his jaw, as is future star Jack Viney. Special mention also to VFL-listed talent Wade Lees who also suffered a fractured jaw after herocially running back with the flight of the ball. The cruel blow comes with the onballer in a long-running stretch of supreme form. Former captain Brad Green close to returning from his finger injury.

SAM LANDSBERGER’S FORECAST: The stuttering Hawks on Friday night represents the last half-realistic chance for the Dees to post what would be a massive upset for quite some time. Mitch Clark is firing and Gibson is out with an ankle, so isolating the marquee recruit looms as the key for the Dees. After that it’s the Swans away and Carlton, two sides hell-bent on staying in the top four. Ouch.

I have it on pretty good authority that you could add "Jack Trengove (Mysterious groin/leg/knee/whatever) Test" to that list. Apparently he is just getting by at the moment. Not sure of the exact ailment but is definitely below the waist.......

Also heard that Strauss is really struggling and is a chance to be shut down for a month or so.

Keep Bail, Bate & Sylvia in. I completely do not understand the anti-Martin movement on here. He has been one of our best/consistent players over the last couple of years, definitely deserves a spot over Sellar. Time to unleash Couch.

• Like 1

How long til we can just play Taggart for the sake of it. If he can get anywhere near it in a few VFL games I'd have him straight in. Anyone who we haven't trialled as a possible mid, half forward or half back is worth a go compared to recycling the junk.

What about Nicholson? Anyone keen to give him another shot. Brings in some much needed pace.

I hope Strauss is back in the VFL this week.

Martin will need one week in the VFL, before he takes over Sellar. Watts probably one more week in VFL just to work on the areas that they dropped him for, although he should be back very soon, he's clearly too good for VFL and can continue to improve on those things at AFL level. Jurrah one more week of match fitness and then bring him in as the sub!

So this week:

IN: Petterd, Bennel

OUT: Bate, Dunn

Next week:

IN: Watts, Jurrah, Martin

OUT: Seller (Martin is superior at relief ruck and around the ground), Tom McDonald (like him, but teenage KPPs are long-term development players) + whoever doesn't play their role properly and deserves to be dropped- Tapscott and Bail in particular on notice.

With those 5 inclusions- Watts, Jurrah, Martin, Petterd and Bennel- I think we're getting very close to our best 22.

Martin will need one week in the VFL, before he takes over Sellar. Watts probably one more week in VFL just to work on the areas that they dropped him for, although he should be back very soon, he's clearly too good for VFL and can continue to improve on those things at AFL level. Jurrah one more week of match fitness and then bring him in as the sub!

So this week:

IN: Petterd, Bennel

OUT: Bate, Dunn

Next week:

IN: Watts, Jurrah, Martin

OUT: Seller (Martin is superior at relief ruck and around the ground), Tom McDonald (like him, but teenage KPPs are long-term development players) + whoever doesn't play their role properly and deserves to be dropped- Tapscott and Bail in particular on notice.

With those 5 inclusions- Watts, Jurrah, Martin, Petterd and Bennel- I think we're getting very close to our best 22.

You cant be fair dinkum about Sellar? I'd rather Dunn in the ruck then Sellar. He simply doesn't touch the football. Pretty sure it's handy to have a bloke who can get the pill every now and then. Sellar's only highlights have been when Gerad Healy gave him a bake on the couch and when Mitch clark Smashes through him to take a grab.

• Like 2

Out: Sellar (if he's not dropped I will start questioning Neeld), Tapscott, Bate

In: Couch, Fitzpatrick, Bennell -- All of these players have worked hard and performed well in recent weeks at Casey. They deserve to be rewarded for their efforts.

Hi GTG I have missed the last 2 games, I would agree with Couch and Fitzpatrick.

Not sure what Couch has to do, we picked him up, raised him from the rookie list and leave him at Casey for weeks on end even though he is in the best at Casey every week.

Why the hell did we pick him up if we do not give him a chance at AFL level.

It is not as though the mid field is setting the world on fire.

No Bennell please the Hawks will scare him to death, I don't care how good he plays at Casey he is not AFL standard

You cant be fair dinkum about Sellar? I'd rather Dunn in the ruck then Sellar. He simply doesn't touch the football. Pretty sure it's handy to have a bloke who can get the pill every now and then. Sellar's only highlights have been when Gerad Healy gave him a bake on the couch and when Mitch clark Smashes through him to take a grab.

Not sure why we even drafted him He was a failure at Adelaide and they let him go.

Dunn has played good games this guy is C class

Tom McDonald (like him, but teenage KPPs are long-term development players)

What does this mean? It sounds like you want to leave him out because of his date of birth. Sure he's a long term prospect, but if he's playing up to scratch - which he currently is - then he's also a short term prospect. I'd feel very nervous about forecasting his omission next week.

• Like 2

What does this mean? It sounds like you want to leave him out because of his date of birth. Sure he's a long term prospect, but if he's playing up to scratch - which he currently is - then he's also a short term prospect. I'd feel very nervous about forecasting his omission next week.

Yeah, give the fans some hope. The kid looks the goods and he has played 7 games.

For everybody asking about why Couch has not been given a game, this from the Casey review

Tom Couch: Couch was again really strong around the stoppages and contested situations. He’s still looking to develop areas of his game to get him to AFL level

Obviously they think he still needs a bit of work, but the incentive is there

Hi GTG I have missed the last 2 games, I would agree with Couch and Fitzpatrick.

Not sure what Couch has to do, we picked him up, raised him from the rookie list and leave him at Casey for weeks on end even though he is in the best at Casey every week.

Why the hell did we pick him up if we do not give him a chance at AFL level.

It is not as though the mid field is setting the world on fire.

No Bennell please the Hawks will scare him to death, I don't care how good he plays at Casey he is not AFL standard

I think we will see Couch this week. By all reports he has been good in every game he has played for Casey. I also think we'll see Bennell. I do agree that he has been quite soft in the majority of his Melbourne appearances and has faded in and out of games, but good play has to be rewarded otherwise it sends a bad message to other players vying for spots.

I think we will see Couch this week. By all reports he has been good in every game he has played for Casey. I also think we'll see Bennell. I do agree that he has been quite soft in the majority of his Melbourne appearances and has faded in and out of games, but good play has to be rewarded otherwise it sends a bad message to other players vying for spots.

I agree, i'll be interesting to see how Bennell goes if he gets picked this week.

From the outsdie it seems that at Casey he has the confidence (and time, due to the step down in pace) to run and carry the ball out of defence. When he plays AFL it seems that he puts far more emphasis on being accountable to his direct oponent, often to the detrement of his attacking game and possesion count. might just need the coach to let him off the leash and tell him to focus on attack rather than tagging