THE VOICE - THE PEOPLE SPEAK

Demonland

Jack has got to want to play and hate to lose; when he said he doesn't get upset when we lose, it was a very bad sign. If he is just happy getting a game and retiring with 150 under his belt then he can do it somewhere else; let's hope he get's the desire sooner rather than later.

That sort of attitude may have been ok once but not any more.

Jack has got to want to play and hate to lose; when he said he doesn't get upset when we lose, it was a very bad sign. If he is just happy getting a game and retiring with 150 under his belt then he can do it somewhere else; let's hope he get's the desire sooner rather than later.

Wow I don't remember him saying that, not impressed. I'm happy with him being dropped, he's been serviceable this year, nothing special bad not terrible. Last week was poor, I want him to seriously want to be in the seniors and hate losing.

You can't believe it ? The guy is as soft as butter. He's softer than David Cordner and that's saying something.

A terribly disappointing pick one. Scully, Roller and Watts. Oh dear.

I should've phrased it as I'm surprised he's dropped Watts.

If you put aside last week, did he deserve it? Probably not. But Neeld is showing a ruthless streak at the selection table. Names mean nothing. I think it's a positive step in many respects, but I also think Wattsy deserved another week to right the wrongs of last weekend. We'll miss a switched on Jack Watts at the Cattery. Hopefully it's a good learning exercise.

I agree with the attitude, but it certainly hasn't been consistantly applied thus far this year......

Rubbish, it has been applied perfectly. Tell that to Brad Green and Aaron Davey.

And the coaching staff are in the best position to decide who is applying themselves appropriately and who it may be that will benefit from a run at Casey.

Watt's game in my opinion was worthy of omission. Don't be so precious. If we want to make our playing group a hardened unit then the supporters need to cop decisions like these.

Pick number 1 or 80 off the rookie list, you don't apply yourself appropriately you go to Casey.

i fully support Neeld and what he is doing.

Edited by dandeeman
  • Like 1

Travis Johnstone was described as a Rolls Royce before he was drafted and became affectionately known as "Roller" to many.

Another towering success story when it comes to our pick ones.

as opposed to our other top 5 picks in McLean, Sylvia, Trengove and Morton. That makes 7 total.

you'd be forgiven for wondering if it is the club's developmental abilities that are at fault

I find it really difficult to believe that JW has been dropped purely on last week's form. As has been pointed out, there were others that not only didn't deliver but had not delivered as well as Jack had in previous weeks. Has there been a disciplinary issue of some sort that we might not be aware of? The fact that he wasn't even included in the emergencies is mystifying.

I find it really difficult to believe that JW has been dropped purely on last week's form. As has been pointed out, there were others that not only didn't deliver but had not delivered as well as Jack had in previous weeks. Has there been a disciplinary issue of some sort that we might not be aware of? The fact that he wasn't even included in the emergencies is mystifying.

Not really, Jack if you want to play at this level you have to earn it, whilst I appreciate the conditions last week didn't suit you they were perfect for putting bodies on the line and tackling. Sam Fisher showed you how much you have to work át this level now learn from it go back and make yourself a better competitor and get the hunger to succeed. You have the tools but only you can take yourself to the next level

• Like 1

No contradiction that I can see.

First sentence says that I don't understand how Jack was dropped purely on last week's form and the second says that,in my and others opinions, there were other players who had under-performed over longer periods.

There is no speculation rather a simple question about what would be the reason for this, could it be disciplinary? I have no secret source, just an enquiring mind.

i fully support Neeld and what he is doing.

I'm pretty sure we all do, I certainly do, but a query here and there is actually allowed.....

And do you honestly think that all those players that have survived selection in recent weeks have deserved it?

For what it's worth (yet again) I understand the decision and hope to God that it works wonders, but whether you like it or not, I just don't see the parity.

And this answers a few questions......

Melbourne says demoted Jack Watts must lift intensity

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/afl/more-news/melbourne-says-demoted-jack-watts-must-lift-intensity/story-e6frf9jf-1226346182678

"The former No.1 draft pick has been on notice since coach Mark Neeld took charge and was dumped to the VFL.

The Demons said Watts had to improve his physical game to get back in the side.

Watts copped pre-season criticism from Mick Malthouse for lacking intensity, but has laid just eight tackles in five matches.

Melbourne football manager Josh Mahoney said last night the 21-year-old needed to lift.

"Tackling and contested possessions is a big indicator for our team," he said.

"We laid over 100 tackles in last week's game (Watts laid none) and that is an area that Jack needs to continually work on.""

• Like 2

And this answers a few questions......

I can't say that is in any way surprising...Watts takes the soft option far too often, and that's not exactly outweighed by his influence on the game either.

Not everyone's going to have a great appetite for the physical side of the game, but that doesn't mean you can opt out entirely.

I'm glad he's been dropped, because I think it might assist in him becoming a better player.

• Like 1

I'm glad he's been dropped, because I think it might assist in him becoming a better player.

I sure hope you're right my friend........

No contradiction that I can see. First sentence says that I don't understand how Jack was dropped purely on last week's form and the second says that,in my and others opinions, there were other players who had under-performed over longer periods. There is no speculation rather a simple question about what would be the reason for this, could it be disciplinary? I have no secret source, just an enquiring mind.

I think Jack gets marked harder than others purely because he has all the skills but just doesn't do the hard stuff enough, if at all.

The coach has made it known that he wants a hard tough side and in that Jack, and a few others, stand out like a beacon; the interesting thing is we have dropped the complete footballer this week but he comes in the form of two people. It would be great to have the two sets of skills combined, Jack's ability and Joel's hardness at the ball.

• Like 1

This looked a near certainty as soon as we had 100 tackles and Jack had donuts...

Jack should play in the VFL (strong side BTW) and then stay and watch how Mitch Clark attacks the footy and the game.

Expectations are higher and we have a premium on work of the footy and pressure on the opponent - and Jack has been down in those areas.

I do not believe him to be a failure of a Pick 1 the way BH does - I still think it is 'premature evaluation' and I am fine if he takes the Tom Hawkins route to relevance rather than the Riewoldt route - there is still hope.

• Like 2

Guest Jackie

The improved intensity showed last week was well overdue but timely for this round. If we can match or improve on it then we should be with them all the way. It is significant that Watts was dropped for this game. He has been singled out for our lack of élan as he is one of the prime culprits for our softness and less than 100% effort will not do for this game. I said before I think both Clark and Frawley could have played last week if required. I believe the preparation for this game has been well planned in advance. Trengove and Grimes need to show real on field leadership too. I expect far better efforts from them. I just hope we can provide the sort of onslaught that a top side like Geelong would not be prepared to fight out at this early stage of the season. But if we do well I hope we don't drop off again the following weeks.

Edited by Jackie

If you had of said Trapper I think everyone would've known you meant TJ, but roller?

RE watts, I am certainly not defending his game last week but I do remember him try to tackle but none stuck! I think he still had a long way to go in upper body and core strength, as well as tackling technique. Atm it think he doesn't know how to tackle, he is probably used to getting the through superior size and skills, and we haven't him this yet.

• Like 1

And do you honestly think that all those players that have survived selection in recent weeks have deserved it?

For what it's worth (yet again) I understand the decision and hope to God that it works wonders, but whether you like it or not, I just don't see the parity.

Like I said in another thread, tell that to Brad Green, Aaron Davey and Ricky Petterd.

It's about getting the team pulling in the same direction, not about the touches you get. Once the base is built you can work on the finer points.

The issue that this football team has is that the foundations were never built, there must be a minimum standard.

You seem to be on your own here QC, it's heartening to see that most understand what Neeld is doing.

Edited by dandeeman

6 key match ups that we'll need to break even in if we're to have any chance IMO.....

Jordie to Selwood

Beamer to Chappy

Tom Mcdonald to Pods (initially....swap with Frawley at some point if it's not working)

Frawley to Hawkins (see above)

Bartram to Stevie J

Trengove to Bartel

Carn the Mighty Demons!

You get the notion Neeldy still keeps an eye on what his old boss has to say about us. And why wouldnt you , hes an astute observer of the game and its combatants. Also the mentoring gig.

Neeld knows there are hard yards and many of them to go and it will take hardened souls to trudge them. Watss is a talented lad but he gets sucked into some sort of funk, a malaise at times. he needs to get his head right...all else will follow. Neeld has a track record of getting good talent right.

But like the shampoo....not overnight ...alas.

I reiterate im not that fussed about scoreboards this year anymore. ( just no drubbings please ) just want to see a holistic improvement across the boys and a good setup for a rehash over the break

That said...go Dees...at least offer some bark to their purring !!

I sure hope you're right my friend........

If you have some other idea feel free to share.

Getting gifted games hasn't done the trick in terms of developing that minimum level of hardness/appetite for the contest that's required.

Garry Lyon said that Jim Stynes was as competitive a player as you would ever see, but he never got upset about losing a match, at least for more than an hour or so. While he would be disappointed, Stynes never let losing harbour lingering feelings of anger, remorse or depression. He just got on with being as competitive as possible again the next week.

It's like a golfer getting angry at missing a putt or making a bad shot. The best position to take is to just concentrate on the next shot, not throw a club and let feelings of anger interrupt your preparation, application or skill execution.

• Like 1