Travis Johnstone joins Chelsea Heights

fatmanblues

My fondest memory of Travis was when Matty Whelan polaxed James Hird and Trapper swooped on a loose ball then banged it from the Boundry 55m out Ponsford end. The roar from the crowd was spine tingling.

Yeah mate , an awesome moment in time

Whelans bump changed the momentum of the game , trappers goal was gravy.

Still the best player to pull on the jumper in the last 10 years. If only we had players of his class still on the list, we'd be in a far better place than we are now.

I loved watching him play but couldn't help but think that he would rather be on the punt than actually work to become an elite player of the comp.

Had every attribute of a champion but the desire for hard work which ultimately resulted in his trade and disappearance into oblivion.

Should have been a 300 gamer. Instead............

Loved you Johnno, but you never became the player you should and could have been...

loved trapper and miss watching him turn it on when he felt like it. that game against adelaide in the final i thought wow we have ourself a superstar in the making! wasn't the case to be.

• 5 months later...

The Best "Hot & Cold" Player i have seen....when Travis decided to flick the switch he was the Best Kick in the AFL.

If only he had had the application of R. Flower.

Rolls Royce skills, Garry Lyon called it one day when he wrote an article about trapper not doing the work to put on extra bulk to protect himself

Trav had more time ans space than the starship enterprise

His game against the Crows in that 2002 final was as magnificent a performance as I have ever seen

The only player I've seen who could stand still in the middle of a pack and not get tackled...the cloak of invisibility.

Flash and Watts could learn something from his ability to find options and set up play at a greater range than 25 metres as well.

However, I reckon it was really just one quarter against the Crows and then he took himself off coz he was spent.

If he'd trained harder MFC would have won.

Sure, everyone is ultimately responsible for their own actions, but one cannot help thinking if we had some hard uncompromising leaders who lead by example things may have turned out differently.

I doubt that mono. There were a few hard and uncompromising leaders during his time in Brisbane, but he still failed to get the best out of himself ..... but who knows, the damage may already have been done by that late stage in his career.

Edited by Deeoldfart

Rolls Royce skills, Garry Lyon called it one day when he wrote an article about trapper not doing the work to put on extra bulk to protect himself

I believe his first nick name was 'Roller' because of the way he moved and the purr..fect skills.

Trust Garry to use something that is already currency;but the only other bloke who floated free down the flank and goaled like Trav did was LJ and he didnt do it from 60 out.

Rubbish. Travis should be congratulated for going back to the local leagues.

I think its great when ex AFL players move back to local leagues to put something back into local footy.

From personal observation with ammo clubs, it does so much good for a club to get back an ex AFL star to provide guidance, encouragement skill and example.

i wish there was more of it.

• Like 3

Rubbish. Travis should be congratulated for going back to the local leagues.

I think its great when ex AFL players move back to local leagues to put something back into local footy.

From personal observation with ammo clubs, it does so much good for a club to get back an ex AFL star to provide guidance, encouragement skill and example.

i wish there was more of it.

Agree totally RR, having played in the Southern Footy League it is much maligned but a really enjoyable comp to play in (well besides Dufftten). It is a rush to play against some AFL players too.

The only player I've seen who could stand still in the middle of a pack and not get tackled...the cloak of invisibility.

Flash and Watts could learn something from his ability to find options and set up play at a greater range than 25 metres as well.

However, I reckon it was really just one quarter against the Crows and then he took himself off coz he was spent.

If he'd trained harder MFC would have won.

was just talking about that game because there's a picture of Trapper in the local paper, looking like a hippie or homeless bum, he killed Adelaide for 2 quarters that game then chucked in the towel, that epitomises his whole career. He could have been a superstar but the attitude sucked.

was just talking about that game because there's a picture of Trapper in the local paper, looking like a hippie or homeless bum, he killed Adelaide for 2 quarters that game then chucked in the towel, that epitomises his whole career. He could have been a superstar but the attitude sucked.

It seems the attitude of all our kids for the last 15 odd years sucked,,,, until recently, hopefully?

Travis was very good but as he matured it became evident to myself that when he was under pressure his silky skills went to the s***. But when he was under no pressure he was better than a large portion of the league

i remember the 04 elimination final when the great Mathew Whelan Bone crunching hip and shoulder on golden boy James Hird and travis pounced on the ball took a bounce right on the boundary line and cool and casually slotted it straight throught the middle!

Gives you goosebumps watching it everytime!

Saw TJ playing at Clayton the other week in one of the finals, and was in a league of his own. The standard of footy obviously wasn't at an AFL level, but he certainly can kick a ball.

Edited by Juicebox

Travis was very good but as he matured it became evident to myself that when he was under pressure his silky skills went to the s***. But when he was under no pressure he was better than a large portion of the league

Right now Jack Watts is the only guy that can hit a target under pressure or not .

You would not believe how good the skills were across the team in the late 80's.

The standard of our passing was the No 1 issue this year.

Oh for a slacker like Trapper again.

Travis is the reason i'm BALD ! One minute sublime foot skills and extraordinary vision tearing a game apart, the next a slackers attitude with a stoners execution having little or no impact on the game. Still I loved that hairy bastard. Good on ya trapper and all the best down at Chelsea. P.S you owe me a head of hair, blonde with curls thanks.