• IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Demons probe sponsor Ben Polis's racist rants

M_9

Whilst I'm not saying we shouldn't ditch the sponsor, with all respect, you and others are totally underestimating the problem we have if we react in that way. Business is not utopia, and you sometimes have to play the cards you're dealt. This sponsor is not us, and we are not it. Yes, there is an association between us and EnergyWatch, but there is no point being too hysterical as if the club itself has done something.

If you have $2M/year to give to the MFC, then I agree, you could buy us out of this mess. If not, then we have to accept that any action against a sponsor will likely require an AFL handout. Any handout buys silence with the AFL. How does that go against the comments in the other racism thread about standing on our own feet?

Agree, 100% it is a mess. Also agree business is never ideal. But are you suggesting that we find a way to live through this with Energy Watch? It might require a hand out from the AFL in the short term, but I think the AFL will support us on this. We cannot be seen to tolerate these comments. In business, nobody can afford to do that.

Agree, 100% it is a mess. Also agree business is never ideal. But are you suggesting that we find a way to live through this with Energy Watch? It might require a hand out from the AFL in the short term, but I think the AFL will support us on this. We cannot be seen to tolerate these comments. In business, nobody can afford to do that.

Look, I probably agree that we cannot work through the issues and maintain the sponsor. In that case, we must act quickly. As in, today.

However, principle has consequence.

Ben Polis, from my understanding, is Energy Watch. A mate of mine at work had a comprehensive dig into the company from a financial point of view and met Ben a few times. His comments to me we're that Ben is mentally unstable and that he can't see how the business can possibly commit to $2m per year for five years with its cashflow and growth profile. He didn't see any way that the sponsorship could see out the full three years.

Have been very nervous about this from the start and more so because we're being so selective over sponsor number 2. The club should have looked deeper into the business as this will have enormous ramifications for us.

Edited by Radar Detector

This sponsor has to and will go. I think we are staring at the darkest day in the history of the club we are on our knees and every person outside the club is circling too lay the boots in on what a shambles we are! What happens over the next week for this football club is criticle for our future, the past 4 years have been very very tough with so many highs and lows but we had the one man that united the club no matter what he is no longer with us and I'm sure his legacy will have some effect but this is getting serious and concerning! I will never give up on the club I love but we need this club to perform on the field more then ever starting this week!

The most annoying thing is the club has done no wrong, and we are being dragged through the [censored], and I keep hearing news grabs like 'the racism row engulfing the Melbourne Football Club has hit a new low'. And unless you read as many articles about it as we on here do and are educated on this issue, you would be forgiven for thinking we are a bunch of cross burning racists.

And the next most annoying thing is we need our team to put up an almighty fight on the field on the weekend, but we are playing West Coast at Subiaco and there is a very good chance this could get ugly. Everyone will be watching.

• Like 2

Ben Polis, from my understanding, is Energy Watch. A mate of mine at work had a comprehensive dig into the company from a financial point of view and met Ben a few times. His comments to me we're that Ben is mentally unstable and that he can't see how the business can possibly commit to $2m per year for five years with its cashflow and growth profile.

hmmm should the mfc have forseen this? probably

I would love the club to dump Energy Watch straight away and sue Ben Polis if we could? This man should not be allowed anywhere near the Footy Club. I would glady contribute to remove Energy Watch from our jumpers. My Daughter has a new jumper and I can guarantee she wont be wearing it.

Edited by diesel

While Pollis certainly made some woeful remarks, when the dust settles on this one, can we transfer our energy on club sponsors to issues around particular sponsors that are actually important? A quick scan of the 18 club websites showed me, and this is just the ones I know about, that:

* Five clubs (with three different companies) wear apparel provided by companies that currently or recently manufacture goods in sweatshops.

* At least six clubs are sponsored by companies that provide life-destroying goods or services (alcohol and gambling)

* Three clubs are sponsored by companies with a proven track record of human rights abuse

* One club has a sponsor whose CEO made absolutely disgraceful marks regarding the homeless and charity that made news within the last 3 1/2 years

* One club is sponsored by a company that has been involved in dodgy practices regarding player payment

I find it frustrating that we can muster up such a frenzy over an issue like this, but can we turn a blind eye to blatant injustice around us that ruins lives. I'm not putting a position forward on where Melbourne goes to from here, but merely pointing out that as sponsors go, Energy Watch is hardly at the top of the nasty tree. Unfortunately, the timing couldn't have been worse.

• Like 7

Ben Polis, from my understanding, is Energy Watch. A mate of mine at work had a comprehensive dig into the company from a financial point of view and met Ben a few times. His comments to me we're that Ben is mentally unstable and that he can't see how the business can possibly commit to $2m per year for five years with its cashflow and growth profile. He didn't see any way that the sponsorship could see out the full five years.

Have been very nervous about this from the start and more so because we're being so selective over sponsor number 2. The club should have looked deeper into the business as this will have enormous ramifications for us.

RD,

I've heard very similar things about Ben and Energy Watch and can't for the life of me understand how we got ourselves into this mess.

My understanding of how Energy Watch works suggest that Cam would have been doing the negotiating with Ben directly. 5 minutes with this bloke should have been enough to work out he's not quite right. If you read his quotes from today, he still doesn't think he's done anything wrong!

Did the club not do any due diligence or KYC on Ben and the company or were we to blinded by the $$$? ASIC is already investigating Ben for malpractice, surely this should have immediately raised alarm bells. As anyone with any business experience knows, if a deal sounds too good it generally is!

Someone has to be held responsible for this mess and in my opinion it's the CEO. Ben is the whole company and thorough checks needed to be done before we entered into this agreement. I have no doubt the sponsorship will be terminated from our side (we don't have a choice) which now leaves us coming into round 2 of the season without a major sponsor at all. It's simply not acceptable, no matter what excuses Cam and the board make.

In any industry, good, stable and prosperous companies survive and grow by having not only good reliable suppliers, but more importantly good stable customers. As per Radar's post above, Energy Watch were never going to be able to honour the sponsorship and a competent CEO should have forseen this.

As members and supporters, we've put up with the Mahogany Table, the 100k report we paid for that never saw the light of day, the personal loan received from the company (which I'm still astounded by), but not having a single major sponsor when the season has already started in this day and age is inexcusable.

My only hope is that the club comes out stronger and wiser from the past few weeks, hell things can't get any worse!

• Like 3

Guest lambtotheslaughter

Diesel

Maybe you could organise a Jumper burning at the "G":

The club might then realise that this is serious

It's interesting to reflect of the effect that Lyon had on the MFC when he stepped in after 186 - strong character, clearly drove things forward to the great benefit of the club ( = Neild). We need similar strength now - but I just don't think CS is up to it. Can you imagine Buckley fronting the media dealing with the Mifsud saga without Eddie and Pert at his side? Or Scott without Balme? etc etc (I know it was the "routine" presser, but was clearly going to be always dominated by Misfud stuff).

It makes me all the more curious about the purported pre 186 near-sacking of CS.

Bring back Gazza.

RD,

I've heard very similar things about Ben and Energy Watch and can't for the life of me understand how we got ourselves into this mess.

My understanding of how Energy Watch works suggest that Cam would have been doing the negotiating with Ben directly. 5 minutes with this bloke should have been enough to work out he's not quite right. If you read his quotes from today, he still doesn't think he's done anything wrong!

Did the club not do any due diligence or KYC on Ben and the company or were we to blinded by the $$$? ASIC is already investigating Ben for malpractice, surely this should have immediately raised alarm bells. As anyone with any business experience knows, if a deal sounds too good it generally is!

Someone has to be held responsible for this mess and in my opinion it's the CEO. Ben is the whole company and thorough checks needed to be done before we entered into this agreement. I have no doubt the sponsorship will be terminated from our side (we don't have a choice) which now leaves us coming into round 2 of the season without a major sponsor at all. It's simply not acceptable, no matter what excuses Cam and the board make.

In any industry, good, stable and prosperous companies survive and grow by having not only good reliable suppliers, but more importantly good stable customers. As per Radar's post above, Energy Watch were never going to be able to honour the sponsorship and a competent CEO should have forseen this.

As members and supporters, we've put up with the Mahogany Table, the 100k report we paid for that never saw the light of day, the personal loan received from the company (which I'm still astounded by), but not having a single major sponsor when the season has already started in this day and age is inexcusable.

My only hope is that the club comes out stronger and wiser from the past few weeks, hell things can't get any worse!

you raise some good points adsy

but it would seem that Melbourne Victory and Melbourne Rebels were similarly either hoodwinked or blinded by $s so CS is not alone

on a similar note there are a few other sponsors of other clubs whose operations/behaviour don't fit the good corporate citizen mould too

a quick severance of ties with energy watch seems the only course of action now

• Like 1

We should dump this idiot, but we should first make him pay out the full sponsorship term.

This is not our fault, we cannot control what this person does, and it shouldn't now seriously damage our financial position.

[censored] off Energy Watch, and thanks for the $6mil.

Mind you, our inability to get a FOJ sponsor has left us in the worst possible position now.

How much more can this club take?

Damned if we do Damed if we dont.

Welcome to Marvellous Melbourne.

As noted by others WE havent done anything but find ourselves travelling a Train wreck in the happening.

Well its over to you MFC.

All the hard work some put in......unravelling.

This will be where we seen the calibre of those running the club. Hopefully they'll salvage something, from somewhere...somehow

We sometimes hear of sponsors dumping clubs for bringing their brand into disrepute... if it happens and the MFC ditch EnergyWatch, could this be the first time a club has dumped their sponsor for bringing their brand into disrepute?

Surely if mfc dumps Energywaste to preserve our reputation we are also defending the afl's. so it would be reasonable to expect some interim financial support from the afl while a new sponsor is found.