Changes for next week vs West Coast

titan_uranus

Very hard to predict who is going out this week as there are about 10 blokes in the gun.

I will give myself a slap after writing this, but we need Morton's ability to find space and get us some cheap possession, especially at Subiaco.

OUT: Davey, Blease, Macdonald, Green

IN: Bennell, Sellar, Petterd, Morton

FB: Sellar, Frawley, Bartram

HB: Grimes, Garland, Rivers

C: Morton, Magner, Trengove

HF: Petterd, Martin, Watts

FF: Bennell, Clark, Howe

R: Jamar, Moloney, Jones

INT: McKenzie, Bate, Bail

SUB: Tynan

A lurker could be handy on the Subi spaces.

But I would think the big tanks will get a run. TMac, Morton, Couch, + Sellars to help cover their Tall options.

In - Sellar, Morton, Couch and Gysberts

Out - MacDonald, Rivers, Davey and Green

I also think players like McDonald, Davis and even possibly Sheahan need to be early in the year. When that time comes they need more than one or two games in a row. Give them a month to settle in unless they clearly are not cutting it.

I really want to see Davis 'IN', for the Tiges Game!

INS for Tigers, Rnd 3: DAVIS, Tapscott, Petterd, Bennell...

I maintain that now is the time to bring Strauss back in. WC have lost their two best small forwards, so he's not as likely to be thrashed defensively, and he'll be a huge bonus with his ball use out of the back half. He would also combine well with Morton, who will love being able to float out into the wide open wings of Patterson's and receive a perfect pass from Strauss to go loping off along the boundary. It would be a good opportunity for both to show their strengths.

Rives has to go. Not because he isn't a good player, but because he can't play on any of the big forwards WC has. Fletcher, Lynch and either Cox or NicNat will be down there and he simply can't compete in the air with guys that big. Sellar may not have quite the same skill set, but he has better mobility and a couple of inches in height over Rivers. He has to come in to take one of the man mountains. We may be forced to send Big Stef back there to take the resting ruck as well. This would leave us with Garland, Grimes and whoever is included in the side to take on the medium/small opponents.

I don't like to drop Blease just yet. He played poorly, but it was in a position he isn't really comfortable with. I think we may see an Andrew Walker case here. Play him in a position he knows how to play rather than trying to force him into a mold he'll never fit. Let him run a wing or HBF rather than the FP. We'll get far more out of his pace and ball use that way.

Crouch has to come in for one of our mids. I have no idea which one will go. From the sound of Neeld's comments Green is out, possibly Moloney and Davey too. This would allow Petterd, Dunn and of course Crouch to come in.

I'll be very interested to see exactly what happens on Thursday.

I'm the #1 anti Bennell fan. However he does have the X Factor that not many others do. I reluctantly have him in ahead of Bate.

Closet No 1 fan by the likes of it.

I dont think he is competing with Bate but with Davey and Blease in trouble Bennell could be selected as well as Bate for different roles.

I don't like to drop Blease just yet. He played poorly, but it was in a position he isn't really comfortable with. I think we may see an Andrew Walker case here. Play him in a position he knows how to play rather than trying to force him into a mold he'll never fit. Let him run a wing or HBF rather than the FP. We'll get far more out of his pace and ball use that way.

He is in the gun with Neeld because he does not chase and he does not win the ball. This is critical for any position. Its a non negotiable.

And Strauss is undercooked and wont be hidden at Subi. There are no easy mark ups there. If Petterd cant travel due to his past leg injury, the same could be applied to Strauss.

OUT: Green, Davey, Blease, Bartram

IN: Petterd, Morton, Couch, Sellar

Green is too slow, Davey too soft, Blease too unfit, Bartram too unskilled. All are Maxy (as in GAWN!)

Petterd is versatile and has a mad-dog attitude

Morton is an outside player who is soft like Davey but young enough to change

Couch is a little unknown for me but I've heard he's tough and hard

Sellar is tall enough to tackle the monster Eagles forwards

For the reasons RalphiusMaximus has said, Rivers can only stay in the side if we commit to playing a spare man back all game. Otherwise the Eagles will simply isolate whoever he's on and cut us up all night, Markovic-style.

Bringing in Strauss is an option, but he might not have the match-fitness to run out the whole game.

Edited by Chook

OUT: Green, Davey, Blease, Bartram

IN: Petterd, Morton, Couch, Sellar

Green is too slow, Davey too soft, Blease too unfit, Bartram too unskilled. All are Maxy (as in GAWN!)

Petterd is versatile and has a mad-dog attitude

Morton is an outside player who is soft like Davey but young enough to change

Couch is a little unknown for me but I've heard he's tough and hard

Sellar is tall enough to tackle the monster Eagles forwards

For the reasons RalphiusMaximus has said, Rivers can only stay in the side if we commit to playing a spare man back all game. Otherwise the Eagles will simply isolate whoever he's on and cut us up all night, Markovic-style.

Bringing in Strauss is an option, but he might not have the match-fitness to run out the whole game.

agree except keep Blease and Joel mac out for Bennell. Cale has just taken his first few steps in the wilderness without a compass .

agree except keep Blease and Joel mac out for Bennell. Cale has just taken his first few steps in the wilderness without a compass .

I originally had Macdonald out too, but I'm concerned about our ability to handle all the WCE forwards. I wouldn't be too displeased to see him dropped though. I've been one of his biggest supporters on this forum, so if his form is so bad that I'm considering dropping him, that's saying something.

Also, apparently Tom McDonald had a good game in the VFL, so maybe he could come in for one of our other 15 underperforming players.

Edited by Chook

I doubt I've read a more unrealistic poster on Demonland when it comes to players than you.

And that's saying something.

Uh oh. Biff agreed with my team selections. Does that mean I'm unrealistic too?

Can't drop Blease. He had a bad game but he alot of friends on Saturday. The kid has natural talent to burn. Play him off HB and see how he goes.

He didn't have a bad game out of the blue; he had one due to poor fitness and poor work-ethic. A player with these qualities is hard to carry into a game on the vast expanses of Subiaco oval.

Out: Blease Rivers Green Davey

In: Bennell Sellar Couch Petterd

B: Bartram Frawley Garland

HB: Grimes Sellar MacDonald

C: Trengove Magner Bail

HF: Watts Martin Petterd

F: Howe Clark Bennell

R: Jamar McKenzie Jones

I: Couch Bate Maloney

S: Tynan

Who is Maloney?

Also, apparently Tom McDonald had a good game in the VFL, so maybe he could come in for one of our other 15 underperforming players.

I get that we're trying to convert T Mac from a defender into a forward, but after a great pre-season in which he excelled in all the running drills, he got crap all game time in the NAB cup and then proceeded to be the equal top goal kicker for Casey on the weekend.

If we don't reward that sort of performance after so many of our first choice players stunk up the G, something is very wrong.

At the very least we know he has the tank to run out a full game. A nice commodity to have in a team sports which runs for 2.5 hours.

• Like 1

I seem to recall Clint Bartram absolutely cutting up the West Coast Eagles last time we played them. I think he shutdown Kerr and kicked three behinds. After the game, we moaned about his disposal, but if he had gotten those shots at goal right, we would have been lauding him as BOG. I wonder if he'll remain in the side, and if he does, will he perform as well or better this time?

I doubt I've read a more unrealistic poster on Demonland when it comes to players than you.

And that's saying something.

Reality is only for those who cant handle their drugs.Or have no imagination!

My view is there will only be a couple of changes barring mystery injurys.

I think Blease and Rivers will be dropped for Couch and Sellar

Even though I think Sellar is ordinary he appears the only tall option for the back line.

Edited by old dee

Out: Blease (lacks intensity), Davey (runs around every contest, never puts his hips over the line of the ball) Green (can't compete, doesn't look like he wants to either) MacDonald (chest marks don't get dropped at AFL level)

In: Couch (at least he'll have a crack) Petterd (Ditto) Dunn (Ditto) McDonald (deserves his chance and with a best on for Casey should be rewarded)

FWIW: Moloney - needs to be on notice, you can't keep running one way

Jamar - Stef Martin played his best footy when Russian was out of the side, he too needs to learn how to get involved when he's up against a competitor, so either step up or you too can go back to the VFL and we'll go one out with big Stef

Bate - I thought he was good in the last quarter, had 2 efforts that directly resulted in goals, deserves a good month in the side

Morton - Do we honestly need another light framed 'scaredy cat' in the side at the moment, he is polish (we'll he used to be) and we need grunt at the moment

• Like 1

OUTS:

Macdonald - Got a lot of it, but butchered the ball horribly

Blease - Doesn't have the engine for Subiaco. FWIW, didn't rate his game as badly as others here.

Davey - Seems to be a bit selfish when he gets it, on top of lack of defensive mindset

Garland - Awful game on the weekend. I am a fan, but wouldn't be surprised if he's made an example of.

Green - Just didn't try hard enough.

INS:

Sellar - Needed for tall forwards. (Sellar, Frawley, Martin IMO)

Couch - Hard at it. Contested stuff.

Morton - Will provide spread, and engine suits Subi.

McDonald - BOG for Casey.

Strauss - Need decent disposal from the back half!

Howe would have to be on warning IMO. Saw so many times on Saturday: went for the speccie and didn't hold it, in the process spoiling a teammate.