AFL CEO Demetriou "Rude"

Redleg

HAD there been a sliding doors moment, this week's spotlight might have been on them, and the people who drove Tasmania's push to secure the AFL's 18th licence remain convinced their bid was doomed from the outset because of the prejudice of one man - Andrew Demetriou.

As Greater Western Sydney prepares for Saturday night's historic debut, key members of the steering committee that piloted the Tasmanian bid in 2008 have recalled meeting every criteria asked of them by the AFL, only to be treated with contempt by the league's chief executive as he pursued an inevitable course of installing a team in a rugby league heartland.

''Quite frankly, it's time [to speak up] - the way that he dealt with it was less than becoming of a person in his position,'' Paula Wriedt, who was then Tasmania's minister for economic development and tourism, told The Age.

Advertisement: Story continues below

art-353-svDEMETRIOU-200x0.jpg

Andrew Demetriou. Photo: Paul Rovere

''The AFL were blocking it, and when I say the AFL I mean Andrew Demetriou.''

Wriedt recalled visiting AFL headquarters with the state's then-premier, Paul Lennon, to present their case, and being ''dismissed as if we were unimportant'' by the league's chief executive, whose behaviour she described as unprofessional and rude.

In contrast, she said AFL commission chairman Mike Fitzpatrick had been ''very cordial'' and ''really, really positive'' in their dealings.

''I've never seen anyone speak to a premier like he [Demetriou] spoke to Paul Lennon,'' Wriedt said.

Read more: http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/rude-afl-supremo-blocked-tassie-bid-20120321-1vkbt.html#ixzz1pnvwMTRF

Dimwit wanted GWS and GC for one reason only. 60% of advertising revenue is generated from those two places. AS well it is rugby league heartland and they dominate TV ratings - even though people don't attend rugby games in any decent number.

So get over it. It was his call and he will live and die by it. Out of any sport in Australia AFL is clearly the dominant one. He intends for it to stay that way.

You mightn't like him but he has done a good job,

• Like 2

Dimwit wanted GWS and GC for one reason only. 60% of advertising revenue is generated from those two places. AS well it is rugby league heartland and they dominate TV ratings - even though people don't attend rugby games in any decent number.

So get over it. It was his call and he will live and die by it. Out of any sport in Australia AFL is clearly the dominant one. He intends for it to stay that way.

You mightn't like him but he has done a good job,

The jury is still out on that jnrmac.

• Like 1

Yes he is very rude no doubt about it.

It was probably a smart move from the AFL not to go through with the Tassie team due to the fact that they are having dramas with their economy still. As we have seen the AFL want return for their investment. Having grown up in Tassie for the first 20 years of my life I have seen it go from a thriving state on Tourism, mining & Professional fishing to a quiet, lonely & desperate state trying to stay afloat. The town I was born at Strahan, used to have have 7 cruise boats and 6 sea planes and is down to 2 & 2 respectively and tourist numbers are dwindling rapidly. People just arent coming to Tas like they used to and jobs are well down.

My sisters which are nurses got put off before xmas with no job to go to, one of their partners who was working in the same mine for 30 years was put off, so they moved away and wont return. My father who has been lobster fishing for 52 years is finding it tough, especially with the quota systems and fuel prices. A lot of the younger generation are leaving Tas for better opportunities whilst the older generation/retirees are moving to this sleepy hollow. Thankfully my brother is playing at the Melbourne Football Club, but I cant see him returning. I even moved away for better opportunities with work and money.

Tasmania is not often considered when it comes to migrants coming into Australia. It is true that the majority of migrants arrive into Sydney and Melbourne, therefore there is a much greater potential for the game to grow in those areas. Whilst 15 years ago I was all for the Tassie team, now is the wrong time. It will take years for the Tassie economy to get back on track and I cant see an ageing population keeping a team afloat for too long. Even the crowds once at Bellerive for the cricket are very poor now and Tassie people love their cricket.

Whilst I think it was the right move by the AFL not to implement a team right now it doesnt excuse Andrew Demetriou for being rude.

Edited by Hells Gates
  • Like 1

overall the afl and Demetriou have grown the game to put it in a strong position, while still protecting the weaker clubs including us. there are lots of things i don't agree with him and the commission but the overall plan is working.

Thats right, they have & they've made the correct call in putting 2nd clubs into both NSW & QLD.

But it's Nigh time to have 2 - 4 clubs represented permanently, playing 4 games each a season, @ both Launceston & Hobart.

The jury is still out on that jnrmac.

The game is pretty strong and the avenue for getting stronger is expanding markets - Tassie was never that.

The Tassie bid was doomed by that fact and the fact that the agreed to re-sign Hawthorn for $3m a year.

How do you get your team when you are funding another?

The game is pretty strong and the avenue for getting stronger is expanding markets - Tassie was never that.

The Tassie bid was doomed by that fact and the fact that the agreed to re-sign Hawthorn for $3m a year.

I was referring to the establishment of GWS.

Funding was never an issue. They had a $5 million sponsorship with Mars even before the bid went through. On top of that the facilities are already set up both in Hobart and Launceston. I can see where expanding markets would come into play, as Tassie is already getting steady crowds of 17k and GWS have plenty to expand on considering the 751 that rocked up to the NAB Cup at Manuka.

Funding was never an issue. They had a $5 million sponsorship with Mars even before the bid went through. On top of that the facilities are already set up both in Hobart and Launceston. I can see where expanding markets would come into play, as Tassie is already getting steady crowds of 17k and GWS have plenty to expand on considering the 751 that rocked up to the NAB Cup at Manuka.

The expanding market is everything. If you lived in Tasmania, would you ditch the MFC to support a Tasmanian team? I do and I wouldn't. Neither would the masses of Hawthorn, Collingwood and St. Kilda fans that live down here. That's the thing - there's no growth at all to be achieved down here, all that would happen is the support for other clubs would be diluted. The worst case for a Tasmanian team is the same as the worst case for GWS and GC - i.e. no support and a burden on the AFL, and the best case is things being the same as they are now. The best case for a Tassie team is that from a growth perspective things remain completely the same, while for GWS and GC the best case is that the game has significant growth in these areas. From a business perspective, this is an absolute no brainer.

With Hawthorn in Launceston and now North in Hobart playing games down here, the market has been fulfilled IMO. I'll head off to Bellerive twice this year, masquerade as a North supporter for those days purely as thanks to them for bringing me the game I love, and spend the rest of the year watching the MFC every weekend religiously on TV. More to the point, I'll take my kids along, knowing that I risk inadvertently turning them in to North supporters (as my brainwashing has otherwise been a complete success) - four less potential members for the MFC in years to come.

Edited by Nasher
  • Like 3

The expanding market is everything. If you lived in Tasmania, would you ditch the MFC to support a Tasmanian team? I do and I wouldn't. Neither would the masses of Hawthorn, Collingwood and St. Kilda fans that live down here. That's the thing - there's no growth at all to be achieved down here, all that would happen is the support for other clubs would be diluted. The worst case for a Tasmanian team is the same as the worst case for GWS and GC - i.e. no support and a burden on the AFL, and the best case is things being the same as they are now. The best case for a Tassie team is that from a growth perspective things remain completely the same, while for GWS and GC the best case is that the game has significant growth in these areas. From a business perspective, this is an absolute no brainer.

With Hawthorn in Launceston and now North in Hobart playing games down here, the market has been fulfilled IMO. I'll head off to Bellerive twice this year, masquerade as a North supporter for those days purely as thanks to them for bringing me the game I love, and spend the rest of the year watching the MFC every weekend religiously on TV. More to the point, I'll take my kids along, knowing that I risk inadvertently turning them in to North supporters (as my brainwashing has otherwise been a complete success) - four less potential members for the MFC in years to come.

no doubt the ex sandy bay supporters will be pleased to see their colours again

Nasher has covered most of it but with our continued debate over our inability to get a sponsorship for the FOJ, we have over stated the financial importance of a major sponsor.

Energy Watch sponsorship is huge at $2m but is only 5% of our expected turnover for 2012 ($40m).

5%!

Mars offering a hypothetical $1.5m a year, which quickly went to Carlton when they were having trouble finding a sponsor, is not going to fund footy in Tasmania.

I agree with Nashers comments. And it's what I've heard numerous times speaking to locals in Launceston on my visits.

I would like to know why Paula Wreidt thinks its time to speak up now ? Wouldn't you speak up a while back ?

I agree with Nashers comments. And it's what I've heard numerous times speaking to locals in Launceston on my visits.

I would like to know why Paula Wreidt thinks its time to speak up now ? Wouldn't you speak up a while back ?

The AFL appreciates things being brought up well after the event.

Agree with the posters above, you've summed that up really well Nasher. In response to you rpfc, I think Tassie'd be able to get the funds together, even if not comfortably and I think it'd be great exposure for a state that I'd agree is struggling. I also reckon Taswegians would happily get behind our probably rubbish footy team.

But yeh, there's never going to be enough insentive for the AFL to take a punt on a Tassie footy team and I'm not heaps disappointed, at least it means we can support anyone we want and I can rag on my younger brother whenever the Dees destroy the Bombers. Which hopefully keeps happening. The Launceston Hawks vs the Hobart Roos'll be a great thing.

Re: Paula Wreidt, she's probably in a better place to speak up now she's out of the government. She gets to run rampant without worrying about political correctness or making enemies with anyone. The Tassie government'll want to stay on the good side of the AFL whether we get our own team or not.

Thankfully my brother is playing at the Melbourne Football Club, but I cant see him returning. I even moved away for better opportunities with work and money.

Can I ask who your brother is? Off the top of my head the tasmanians i can think of are green and garland....

In general I agree that The Devil has done a good job in the business side of things for the AFL, although I think that GWS is going to be a black hole draining cash from the competition until it folds or relocates. The issue I have with him and his administration is the way they have messed with the game itself. The non-stop rule changes that eave players, umpires and fans with no idea of what's going on. The overhaul of the tribunal system to produce the politically run MRP. The official "interpretations" of the rules that are issued to the umpires each year which often have absolutely nothing to do with the actual rule. The publicity-powered witch hunts which have seen the demonisation of "Sling tackles" and "tunneling" while other equally serious and injury-causing behaviour is shrugged off as not being worthy of the effort (see Sylvia's broken jaw last year).

The guy may have done well in making money for the game, but he is tearing it's heart out to do it.

• Like 1

Col.

Nice one HG, but I dunno if it was such a good idea to let us all no such info....for your sanity that is, GL with that.

PS. I'm sure your proud of Col & to b his brother.

Nice one HG, but I dunno if it was such a good idea to let us all no such info....for your sanity that is, GL with that.

PS. I'm sure your proud of Col & to b his brother.

It doesnt bother me mate, everyone is entitled to their own opinion. Im still proud of him anyway. No he's a little sh!+ head!!

In response to HG ,

I personally love Tassy and every time I go I vow to move there one day .It must be very difficult to make a living there though as unemployment is so high ,education limited and mines ,logging ,fishing etc facing more regulation .The "Grey Dollar" may be a blessing for Tassy except I fear that the oldies who move there may be tight asses . Anyway ,Tassy will develop in some unexpected ways .I think many artists and musicians are moving there . Big town jokes or put downs about Tas are silly .I'm jealous of what they have .Plus we got your brother ,Howe ,and greeny from there .Thanks Tassy .