7 Weeks

drdrake

I don't understand how people can't see the link between being 'competitive' in the pre season and having a decent start to the season proper.

IIRC, last year few here seemed concerned that we were bowled out of the NAB cup rounds (we were probably all mesmerised by initially winning in Adelaide), but yet they still expected us to somehow switch instantaneously from a losing to a winning culture within a few weeks. I may be hazy on the recollections of last year, but I do know I was a bit angry going into the start of the H&A season for the team not having come to the party well before round 1.

I don't care if we never win a pre-season cup. But I DO want to know that the boys are about equal to their opponents by that time.

Edited by bjDee

Can anyone off the top of their head roll off the last four results of NAB cup Grand Finals? Unlikely, its just a mickey mouse excuse of a cup to get runs into

the legs of rookies and depth players.

I for one expect us to win up in Brisbane, and then come down to earth the next week despite fielding a stronger side than Collingwood, then go into the

challenge games (what happened to them just being called practice matches, and they were played at places like Seymour?) and go 50/50 in wins/losses.

Can anyone off the top of their head roll off the last four results of NAB cup Grand Finals? Unlikely, its just a mickey mouse excuse of a cup to get runs into

the legs of rookies and depth players.

I for one expect us to win up in Brisbane, and then come down to earth the next week despite fielding a stronger side than Collingwood, then go into the

challenge games (what happened to them just being called practice matches, and they were played at places like Seymour?) and go 50/50 in wins/losses.

Not sure of the results, but the winners have all gone on and had fairly good seasons....histrorically, our practice matches have been real barometers.

1986 - 11th........1987 - PF

1993 - 10th........1994 - PF

1997 - 16th........1998 - PF

1999 - 14th........2000 - GF

2001 - 11th........2002 - 6th

2003 - 14th........2004 - 5th

2011 - 13th........2012 - ?

Cheers

• Like 1

1986 - 11th........1987 - PF

1993 - 10th........1994 - PF

1997 - 16th........1998 - PF

1999 - 14th........2000 - GF

2001 - 11th........2002 - 6th

2003 - 14th........2004 - 5th

2011 - 13th........2012 - ?

Cheers

Macca, I do indeed like the straws you are clutching at.

Macca, I do indeed like the straws you are clutching at.

Yes , I'm an eternal optimist . Only way to be . Life's too short .

I sometimes think about our barren years since we've won a flag but then I think of those Bulldog and Saints fans who have only won 1 flag each .

We've got a dozen and you know what ? They can't take them away from us ! Many on this site have seen these flags and that connects all of us.

We'll win more flags but we need to continue to tick all the boxes . Other bigger clubs can miss 1 or 2 of those boxes and still be powerful but we can't .

Cheers Steve !

I sometimes think about our barren years since we've won a flag but then I think of those Bulldog and Saints fans who have only won 1 flag each .

We've got a dozen and you know what ? They can't take them away from us ! Many on this site have seen these flags and that connects all of us.

We'll win more flags but we need to continue to tick all the boxes . Other bigger clubs can miss 1 or 2 of those boxes and still be powerful but we can't .

Cheers Steve !

Amen brother.

Geez, I get emotional after winning a home and away game. Dare I say that the misses will institutionalise me when we start winning finals.

Unfortunately our pre season form (even the first round win) last year showed me that we were heading nowhere, nothing had changed from the previous year and we were in for more of the same. If anything we ended up going backwards.

Whilst many don't rate the NAB cup, the way we set up, attitude, game plan and approach to the ball will give me a good indication of the season ahead. I'm looking forward to it with anticipation.

These days there are theories on when a team should physically peak during a season . I'd like us to win from the start and keep on winning and getting better .

Players need to make it a habit and a right to win every time they walk out .

For those who just dismiss the NAB, for the last 3 years the teams that have played in the final have made the final 8, I think in their respective years 5 out of the 6 teams have finished top 4 that year. Gone are the years when the bottom team wins to cup. Winning is something we have to start doing, confidence is an amazing thing, this year especially the playing group has to gain confidence in the new game style and get reward for their increased efforts over pre-season.

The format of the NAB Cup this year should make it more interesting for supporters. Teams play 4 games where there is a ladder involved, as opposed to the lose-you're-out format. If you lose in round 1 (of the NAB), there's nowhere to hide; you won't be playing a "nothing" NAB Challenge match in the back of Bourke - the ladder will be there for everyone to see.

The fact that there is 1 LTI spot already available, as well as the other rookie elevation spot due to having 1 veteran will see a very determined group of players (Nicholson, Magner, Couch, Williams, Sheehan, Lawrence, Evans) putting in 100% (in particular the first 3 named), as well as new rookies Sellar (trying to crack in to one of the better defences in the league) and Tynan/Taggert (who could play round 1). While all these guys are fresh and I don't expect them to win games off their own boot, I do expect them to set the benchmark in regards to Neeld's hard-arse approach, and hopefully that will give some of our other players the wake-up call they need.

A NAB Cup premiership would do this group no harm whatsoever. There is a cash bonus for winning it - which won't hurt the Club, and I'm pretty sure they still have the incentive of completing the premiership double. That may not apply to us this year, but any additional coin we can get will help player development.

I'm glad we're playing the first 2 games on the round-robin night. Happened to us last year and we won both games - just think that it's easier to play 4 straight halves (can you have 4 halves??!!!!), rather than playing 2, then having an hour rest, then trying to get back up for the last one.

Will be stoked if we win both games then beat one of Hawthorn or Collingwood. Will give some momentum going in to the first round of the season proper.

Cheers Steve !

And 5 years ago the Cats were spoken of in the same sentences as ourselves, the Dogs and the Saints. Here's hoping

The Nab Cup isn't the be all end all, but if we lose all encounters and get smacked by Collingwood and Hawthorn, you'd come into the season pretty pessimistic, I would've thought.

Not only that it will effect the off Field team's ability to achieves their goals of 40,000members and a FOJ sponser

We the MFC should be taking the NAB series very seriously, not for the silverware but the experience & exposure.

Every game the MFC plays should be thought of as winnable going forward.

Which will mean each year the Premiership is looked at as a reality rather than a pipe dream. I understand the draft makes it harder, but the top clubs always seem to mount a challenge after a brief dip.

Neeld has been involved in sustained winning cultures. I will be watching this aspect of his work very closely

And 5 years ago the Cats were spoken of in the same sentences as ourselves, the Dogs and the Saints. Here's hoping

Yes , good point 'Pennant' .

It's been a long wait for Tiger fans as well ( and they might be waiting for a while ) . 17 years now since the Blues won a flag , 12 for the Bombers . And the Pies have only won 4 flags in the last 76 years ! I'm counting this year as well !

Our day will come but we'll need at least 6 stars to reach our goal .

If Jamar and Frawley get AA honours again , Sylvia realises his potential , Watts and Trengove reach their optimum and Moloney keeps getting better then there's your possible 6 . There's a few if's there , but 4 from those 6 would be a good start .

Then there are the "Diamonds in the rough"

Gysberts , Tapscott , Grimes , Clark and a few others all have a "huge" upside .

There have been many times over the years when it would have been difficult to find that much potential .

And you know what they say about potential ! As usual , a lot lies with the Coach .

Cheers

Edited by Macca

The result of NAB Cup games isn't so much of an issue but you can get a lot out of how the team will play and it is becoming more of an indicator each year.

I still remember the FD cheer squad (I have faith in Daniher, Bailey and Connolly group) on here making excuses for the 2007 run and carry debacle after extremely worrying signs in the first NAB Cup game proved correct.

The are certainly plusses to winning the pre season cup. And if we get that far then fine. However, I find the pre season cup annoying in that the test or contrived rules drive different strategies than what would happen in the real stuff. If we dont progress with the NAB cup then we focus on proper practice matches in preparation for the season.

FWIW, i think we go into the NAB cup with arguable the broadest list of available players we have had in years. Previously we have seemed to mount up injuries through the pre season and carry over from the past years. When we have been a struggling club, injuries particularly to your better players just crucifies you.

However, I would not be surprised if the team looks raw and rusty under Neeld. He has only been in charge of the side for about 5 months and its fantasy to think a team will be able to implement a new game plan/style in so short a time. I am not overly confident about MFC doing well in the pre season comp but I expect the side to improve subject to injuries etc as the season goes on reflecting the growing maturity of the young team and the understanding of Neeld's way of doing things.

• Like 1