Don Williams

Born 3 November 1935

Died Late 1990s

Recruited from Elsternwick Amateurs

Height and weight 182 cm 80 kg

Playing career

Melbourne (1953-59) (1964-68)

205 games, 5 goals

Don Williams was an Australian rules footballer who played for Melbourne during the 1950s and 60s.

Williams was a half back flanker and five time premiership player with Melbourne, including their successive triumphs in 1955, 1956 and 1957.

After being dropped to the bench in the 1959 grand final he decided to leave the club and spent the 1960 season with West Perth, who won the WAFL Grand Final in that year. He represented Western Australia in the Brisbane Carnival where Western Australia defeated Victoria for the first time.

He returned to the Melbourne Football Club in 1964 and played in that year's 4 point Grand Final win over Collingwood.

In 2000 he was named on the half back flank in Melbourne's official 'Team of the Century'.

I'm none the wiser about Bobby's comment.

Perhaps you can elaborate?

The following is taken from Wikipedia:-

Don Williams

Born 3 November 1935

Died Late 1990s

Height and weight 182 cm 80 kg

Playing career

Melbourne (1953-59) (1964-68)

205 games, 5 goals

Don Williams was an Australian rules footballer who played for Melbourne during the 1950s and 60s.

Williams was a half back flanker and five time premiership player with Melbourne, including their successive triumphs in 1955, 1956 and 1957.

After being dropped to the bench in the 1959 grand final he decided to leave the club and spent the 1960 season with West Perth, who won the WAFL Grand Final in that year. He represented Western Australia in the Brisbane Carnival where Western Australia defeated Victoria for the first time.

He returned to the Melbourne Football Club in 1964 and played in that year's 4 point Grand Final win over Collingwood.

In 2000 he was named on the half back flank in Melbourne's official 'Team of the Century'.

I'm none the wiser about Bobby's comment.

Perhaps you can elaborate?

Sorry, WJ. I must have fallen asleep at the wheel! No, what I was pointing out was Hassa Mann's comment that Don was a National High Jump champion. I knew the great Don Williams was a very good high jumper, BUT I could find no evidence of him being Australian Champion. If anyone could find evidence of this I would be delighted to be proved wrong. One thing that was correctly stated by Chris Connolly was that Don was an all-time great. Gee, he was exciting with his exceptional leap and dash. Lying on the ground in a pack, a split second later, up and running at full bore with a long clearing kick. I guess the late, great Sean Wight was very much like Donny. Champions both. Hope this clears up my early thread.

'Dasher' Don Williams. An integral part of the greatest teams that ever played ............. and what's more, he would be equally at home on the HBF in the modern game as he was back then. But like you bobby, I have never before seen any suggestion that he was an Australian champion high jumper.

To me, the big story of Don Williams was the story of the loss of not just one key player but a number of them over a short period of time during our golden era that could possibly have yielded another two premierships. Don was involved in a dispute over his selection in the 1959 grand final. He went off to WA whilst in the prime of career to miss four years before coming back to play in the 1964 premiership. We lost Stuart Spencer at the end of '56 aged 24 to Tasmania to further his business career. He had just won successive best & fairests. Laurie Mithen retired young after 1960, still at the height of his career. Big Bob Johnson, a 6'6" ruckman/forward also crossed to WA. His career in the WAFL and then the VFL lasted more than another decade.

There were probably a few others who left the club and the last of them was Ron Barassi who left to captain coach Carlton at the end of 1964. The announcement was made at around this time 47 years ago.

I've often wondered how much more success we could have had and whether it all could have lasted longer had we kept these star players together.

To me, the big story of Don Williams was the story of the loss of not just one key player but a number of them over a short period of time during our golden era that could possibly have yielded another two premierships. Don was involved in a dispute over his selection in the 1959 grand final. He went off to WA whilst in the prime of career to miss four years before coming back to play in the 1964 premiership. We lost Stuart Spencer at the end of '56 aged 24 to Tasmania to further his business career. He had just won successive best & fairests. Laurie Mithen retired young after 1960, still at the height of his career. Big Bob Johnson, a 6'6" ruckman/forward also crossed to WA. His career in the WAFL and then the VFL lasted more than another decade.

There were probably a few others who left the club and the last of them was Ron Barassi who left to captain coach Carlton at the end of 1964. The announcement was made at around this time 47 years ago.

I've often wondered how much more success we could have had and whether it all could have lasted longer had we kept these star players together.

We also lost Doc Roet for a while during this period, didn't we?

Have been mulling over the same thoughts myself the last few days WJ.

As well as possibly making a difference in 1962-3, imagine the difference Big Bob Johnson could have made in those really lean years of 1965-68. I recall we were so "light on" in the big man department I recall in one game (if not more) that Tassie Johnson had to do the rucking against the taller top ruckmen from other clubs.

We seemed to lose so many whilst in their prime..even in the good times.. Peter Marquis, Athol Webb? Though maybe they were at the end of their careers..just seems to me they were all playing well when they moved on..Other handy players like Alan Rowarth (injury), Doc Roet, and later David Hone and many more. And losing all 3 of Barassi, Alves and Wells was a tragedy.

Yes Bush Demon..Doc Roet left for overseas after 5 games in 1965 according to Demonwiki. Came back in 1968 for a further 5 games. Sadly missed at that time.

http://www.demonwiki.org/Brian+Roet

Edited by 3031

'Dasher' Don Williams. An integral part of the greatest teams that ever played ............. and what's more, he would be equally at home on the HBF in the modern game as he was back then. But like you bobby, I have never before seen any suggestion that he was an Australian champion high jumper.

Yep, he would be perfect for today's fast moving game. Reckon Bluey adams would keep up pretty well too.

Yep, he would be perfect for today's fast moving game. Reckon Bluey adams would keep up pretty well too.

Agree. Bluey Adams = Sam Blease (in more ways than one)

Agree. Bluey Adams = Sam Blease (in more ways than one)

Gee mate that is a big wrap for Blease.

We has about 500% improvement to make over the next 10 years to equal FA.

I seriously doubt he is that good.

However it is early days.

If he is as good look forward to the top 4 in 2013.

Edited by old dee

Sorry, WJ. I must have fallen asleep at the wheel! No, what I was pointing out was Hassa Mann's comment that Don was a National High Jump champion. I knew the great Don Williams was a very good high jumper, BUT I could find no evidence of him being Australian Champion. If anyone could find evidence of this I would be delighted to be proved wrong. One thing that was correctly stated by Chris Connolly was that Don was an all-time great. Gee, he was exciting with his exceptional leap and dash. Lying on the ground in a pack, a split second later, up and running at full bore with a long clearing kick. I guess the late, great Sean Wight was very much like Donny. Champions both. Hope this clears up my early thread.

No appearance Your Worship:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Template:Footer_Australia_NC_High_Jump_Men

My favourite memory of Don Williams from this period was his card in my1964 (or 1966) Mobil Football album. Trying to remember who the other demons were; must have been Barassi and I think Tassy Johnson. Just looked it up. '64 was Mann, Dixon, Johnson. Don Williams must have been in the '66 cards.

Gee mate that is a big wrap for Blease.

We has about 500% improvement to make over the next 10 years to equal FA.

I seriously doubt he is that good.

However it is early days.

If he is as good look forward to the top 4 in 2013.

It is a big wrap OD. I fell in love with Blease before we drafted him, and I maintain my optimism ..... or should I say, I regained it in the last few games of 2011. He certainly has some of Bluey's best attributes: pace and classy disposal. It's a pity there's no longer a Des Healey on Co#lingw#%od's list.

• 3 years later...

Just to clarify my namesakes athletic ability. Don was a JUNIOR high jump, long jump and triple jump champion of Victoria and a bloody champion footballer.

Amen to that.

Have been mulling over the same thoughts myself the last few days WJ.

As well as possibly making a difference in 1962-3, imagine the difference Big Bob Johnson could have made in those really lean years of 1965-68. I recall we were so "light on" in the big man department I recall in one game (if not more) that Tassie Johnson had to do the rucking against the taller top ruckmen from other clubs.

We seemed to lose so many whilst in their prime..even in the good times.. Peter Marquis, Athol Webb? Though maybe they were at the end of their careers..just seems to me they were all playing well when they moved on..Other handy players like Alan Rowarth (injury), Doc Roet, and later David Hone and many more. And losing all 3 of Barassi, Alves and Wells was a tragedy.

Yes Bush Demon..Doc Roet left for overseas after 5 games in 1965 according to Demonwiki. Came back in 1968 for a further 5 games. Sadly missed at that time.

http://www.demonwiki.org/Brian+Roet

As I recall Tassie played ruck quite a bit in 1964 - Bernie Massey played full back in that flag season.

And didn't Don Williams play centre (now known as midfield) in that season?

In 1964 Tassie did not play in the ruck because Graham Wise rucked all day, he played in the back pocket next to Crompton and Massey.

Don Williams was selected in the centre.

I stand corrected. May have been 1963.

Don Williams

Born 3 November 1935

Died Late 1990s [Was in October 1995 but if anyone has the actual date can they send it to me so I can update Demonwiki - Supermercado]

Don Williams

Born 3 November 1935

Died Late 1990s [Was in October 1995 but if anyone has the actual date can they send it to me so I can update Demonwiki - Supermercado]

19th October 1995

When Harry O'Brien was playing for Collingwood, he always reminded me of Donny Williams sprinting from the halfback

line with fast ,straight dashes,taking several bounces, and opening up the forward line.

Two differences,though. Donny would kick a drop kick at the end of his run, and he used to take the odd hanger.