In his fourth season Morton, who came to the club as a high first round draft selection, disappointed with poor form and low confidence, struggling to find his place in the side. He is still highly regarded and is expected to improve under the coaching of Mark Neeld and his assistants.

Games MFC 2011 14 MFC Total 64 Goals MFC 2011 5 MFC Total 31

Games CSFC 2011 4 Goals CSFC 2011 0

Last legs unfortunately. I think we all had collective high hopes for him, and for most of us, they seem to have fallen by the wayside. I for one, will be very glad to see the best of him, but at this stage the jury is still out as to whether or not we will.

To be honest id happily trade him, he just so underwhelms. But we now hav our own "football-whisperer" on board and maybe, just maybe Neeld can get this guy to lift to his potentitla. Who knows :unsure:

if he remains its , as others suggest, make or break. For mine I hope he does something, I really do as currently hes as exciting as blacmange.

Will flourish under Neeld.

Lutz - I think that all here would sincerely hope that he would do just that, but you seem to say it with a degree of conviction that many of us would not share.

• Like 1

As the first player younger than me to ever play for Melbourne, Cale Morton has a special place in my heart. But to be honest, Kate Moss has a better chance of being hard at the contest than him - at least she has some bloody drive!

Edited by Chook

I don't think he's been as horrible as everyone says. Yes, he hasn't developed nearly enough as we would like, but with a coach with a penscient for hardness, I've got high hopes. Don't think Dean Bailey gave him the rocket he needed.

This is actually the crux of the matter. Hardness, not just of body but of mind and to date have seen neither from Cale. Im not sure hes up to it. Happy to be proven wrong..ecstatic even.

Hasn't done himself any favours with his 'bruise free' footy, if we can take that term and get something useful out of it.

But Bailey played him in strange and varied places and no-one was more pleased to get a fresh start I would guess.

We will see how he is used.

He is a talent and a good young bloke. I hope we can do something with him.

For mine, he is THE challenge for our new and improved FD - Pick 4, great engine, good skills, height, good footy brain.

Make something of him.

With Cale's help of course...

lets say the nexus of qualites in order to play footy ( well) ar elike a three legged stool.

There s talent, determination and application.

So far hes got one !!. A lot of work needed on the others.

Determination and application sound like one and the same thing. I'd say the three broad qualities are talent, application/determination and luck. Plenty of players have had failed careers on the lack of element #3.

• Like 2

Until the season just past, I was on the 'give Cale time' bandwagon, but the wheels have all but fallen off for me. 34th place in the Bluey (26 votes) is way short of what we should reasonably expect from a #4 draft pick in his fourth season. I can accept slow progress (within reason) but If anything Cale seems to have gone backwards. His decision making, his thirst for the contest and all too frequently his skill execution, continue to let him and his team-mates down. He seems totally bereft of confidence, and I can only hope that the new coaching staff can work with him to restore his faltering career. I hope he surprises in 2012 as much as he disappointed in 2011.

Edited by Deeoldfart

Determination and application sound like one and the same thing. I'd say the three broad qualities are talent, application/determination and luck. Plenty of players have had failed careers on the lack of element #3.

You can actually want to do something...but dont actually do it. As an aside.. anyone whos read Rich Dad Porr dad will be familar with Kyosake treatise on this phenonema. Theyre paired...but different. So as Determination and application, the want...and the do.

How exactly has Cale been nobbled by luck or lack of ?

Ooooh - soooo hard to restrain oneself, but soooo easy to take a pot shot at Cale.

With the best of intentions at heart, I'm trying to describe any of the attributes that aren't related to age, experience, no.of preseasons, etc which are constructive, descriptive, morale-building, and which a player of Cale's vintage needs to be demonstrating by about - let's see... Jan 1 2012:

Well - here they are: courage, commitment, heart, no-short-steps, singularity of purpose, intent to hurt an opponent, calling incessantly to receive a ball from a teammate, determination to deliver downfield accurately, will to win, desire to help a teammate.

Cale, if you can deliver these, then welcome whole heartedly into the bosom of the Demon faithful.

So now, it's totally a case of "[censored], or get off the pot."

The clock is ticking.....

• Like 1

You can actually want to do something...but dont actually do it. As an aside.. anyone whos read Rich Dad Porr dad will be familar with Kyosake treatise on this phenonema. Theyre paired...but different. So as Determination and application, the want...and the do.

How exactly has Cale been nobbled by luck or lack of ?

Are you serious?

How about the PCL in a NAB Challenge match?

Or gaining some decent weight, then straight away losing ~6kg in the preseason due to illness and recovery from an operation.

The new coaching structure is tailor made for effectively developing and getting the best out of highly talented kids like Cale.

A whole new ball game for Cale under a new coach. He needs to stay fit and put in on the track if he wants to not only stay at the club, but to stay in the AFL.

Agree that he is on his last legs, and needs to show us all why Gary Lyon still gushes over the mention of his name. He has the football talent no doubt, but the application needs to come because the excuses have run out as we build a premiership core.

There is an interesting view from an ex Lions Assistant Coach - they believe Cale is a gun who hasn't been developed properly.

He hasn't been played to his strengths and tried to be made to be something he isn't.

I think people don't realize the elite endurance Cale has and we know, when he has confidence, he can find the pill.

He has more than these two strengths but they are underestimated.

Rest assured the new coach will basically start again with Cale - play him to his strengths, give him confidence.

I believe it's not too late for him and that with some time he may well flourish.

• Like 1

Are you serious?

How about the PCL in a NAB Challenge match?

Or gaining some decent weight, then straight away losing ~6kg in the preseason due to illness and recovery from an operation.

The new coaching structure is tailor made for effectively developing and getting the best out of highly talented kids like Cale.

The element you may be mistaking for luck is fitness. But luck ? Hes had many opportunities over his journey to ramp up his play , to deliver but he invariably doesnt. How is the an element of luck in this. He has his chances and squanders most. Nothing to do with luck..Its to do with whats between his ears. I simply dont think he has the ticker for AFL. What a waste

• Like 1