Matthew Bate 

Demonland

Fell out of favour with the selectors early in the season and, after dominating in the VFL, came back for a couple of productive games for the Demons at the end in more of a midfield role.

At the Scorpions, Bate was runner up in the best and fairest and voted MVP. He also came second in the JJ Liston Trophy behind former Demon Shane Valenti.

Games MFC 2011 7 MFC Total 90 Goals MFC 2011 4 MFC Total 90

Games CSFC 2011 14 Goals CSFC 2011 29

After saying that he is too slow for the midfield I can only see him competing for a spot there if he stays at the club past this trade week. Is a big body and that is in his favour, but I would think even he would want to move on at this stage.

• Like 1

Draws significant commentary for his weaknesses (turning circle and speed in particular) and they are real weaknesses

Confidence seemed to be an issue until late in the season. Kicks long and well, big frame and provides a contest..... honest competitor.

Expect he would be looking for an opportunity to move on in trade window, or at least a sign from Neeld/ Craig that it there is something to look forward to

Neeld and his roles focus: I doubt if he could see Matty as a forward, so unless he believes he can recreate him as a mid or on baller I suspect he will be moved on.

Guest The Exorcist

An honest trier but not nimble enough to play on the ball and too small for a key forward post.

Trade now while he still has some (diminishing) currency.

Posted 01 March 2006 - 09:23 AM

There was a fair bit of chat on the Lynden Dunn thread about how quick Matthew Bate is.

Some, in particular Trav20, have him in the top 3 or 4 at the club. Others thought he was nowhere near that.

I haven't seen enough of Bate to comment, but I found an interesting quote from Neale Daniher in sundays paper in relation to Bates pace.

From the article : Bate was quick and powerful, particularly off the mark, although Daniher would not say where he ranked amongst his teammates for speed. "Let's just say he's up there," Daniher said.

So where does leave us in the Bate debate?

Cant see why he would want to stay. Went very backwards this season, cant play at ground level and doesnt have a second effort. A good last game vs Port in a loss isnt enough IMO, unless hes happy at casey

Cant see why he would want to stay. Went very backwards this season, cant play at ground level and doesnt have a second effort. A good last game vs Port in a loss isnt enough IMO, unless hes happy at casey

More courage than Dunn.

Found something late in the season that'd been lacking. Worth 1 more to see If he can turn it.

Move on dunn now.

Posted 01 March 2006 - 09:23 AM

There was a fair bit of chat on the Lynden Dunn thread about how quick Matthew Bate is.

Some, in particular Trav20, have him in the top 3 or 4 at the club. Others thought he was nowhere near that.

I haven't seen enough of Bate to comment, but I found an interesting quote from Neale Daniher in sundays paper in relation to Bates pace.

From the article : Bate was quick and powerful, particularly off the mark, although Daniher would not say where he ranked amongst his teammates for speed. "Let's just say he's up there," Daniher said.

So where does leave us in the Bate debate?

5 years ago, yes he was very quick. Bulked up too much last year and had a number of injuries that have held him back badly.

Early on in his AFL career, Bater seemed to have a strong future at Melbourne, but that has become a distant memory over the last two years. He had a great season at Casey in 2011 (and he must be commended for that), but apart from a couple of late season games where he played a bit in the mid-field, he failed to have any influence when playing for Melbourne. I'd love to see him reinvent himself as a midfielder or HB flanker, but I just don't think it will happen. IMO he is not well equipped for the modern game.

• Like 1

I'd have Dunn over Bate anyday.

This is like arguing which deckchair to sit in on the Titanic to listen to the band 'play on'...

But I would have Bate's diffidence, 'continental drift'-like turning circle, and 'concrete' hands over Dunn's false bravado, jumper punching, and inconsistent effort.

• Like 1

This is like arguing which deckchair to sit in on the Titanic to listen to the band 'play on'...

But I would have Bate's diffidence, 'continental drift'-like turning circle, and 'concrete' hands over Dunn's false bravado, jumper punching, and inconsistent effort.

for me its just the idiotic moustache, but whatever works, same end.

I think Matty Bate could become our Cam Ling in the midfield.

Good post- dont be Bater hater.He's a high rater.

Many I supect fall into a trap where by any admonishments of a player are misconstrued as hate. FOr many , myself included its just disappointment.

• Like 1

After saying that he is too slow for the midfield I can only see him competing for a spot there if he stays at the club past this trade week. Is a big body and that is in his favour, but I would think even he would want to move on at this stage.

he's got one more year on contract and they will give him this year

he's got one more year on contract and they will give him this year

This need not constrain a trade . it might be pointed out to him his career may well get a kick on at a club with greater opportunities. At the Dees his are somewhat limited

His attitude is great - he gave his all at Casey, and I liked his midfield work. I would hope that the sports science guys will help him rediscover his pace. He is contracted for another year and I hope the club keeps him.

Certainly the sports science / high performance guys have a huge challenge with the Master -- I as much as any would be over the moon should they be able to reinvent him. His work rate and efforts are exemplary, but are they enough?

Bate is crap. Comparing him to Dunn serves no purpose.

Sorry to be so blunt and negative, but they've both had plenty of time, and neither is good enough. We have other options to develop, I'm sick of wasting time on Bate, who just can't create enough contests due to his speed (or lack thereof) and turning circle. His marking isn't good enough either, his kicking is long but generally not effective.

His effort is usually OK, but in saying that, he's not the hardest chaser off the ball.

I'm all for moving him on.