Matthew Warnock wants out

dees189227

Guest Thomo

I'm a Warnock fan, but 4 games in one of the worst teams I have seen means Melbourne can't ask for much. Key backman being in demand is the only reason why he won't be delisted. Trade value would be pick 35-50 in my opinion.

Time to trade me: Warnock

I wonder if he has any value. Probably does as part of a package Warnock/Dunn/Bate?

Why do you think other clubs will chase a showbag of ordinary NQRs from a bottom level club?

Individually there not worth much. Together they are worth far less.

I think Rivers is the most overrated player that I have seen in three decades of watching football. How he has played more games than Warnock is beyond me. He plays the easiest position on the ground yet he rarely stars.

He rarely is responsible for a direct opponent and he provides almost no attacking value. I can't think of any other player in the league that has it so easy. I think Rivers would struggle to get a game at any other club.

He won the raising star as an older mature player in a weak year, and has been getting selected off it ever since.

Most weeks he plays loose because he cannot defend one on one. He is not capable of playing on a tall, a strong or a fast player. It was plain to see during the few times when he is given a direct opponent this year opposition teams isolate him because they know even in a poor side he is the weak link.

He has poor disposal, I believe that it is on par with Warnocks. He offers very little run out of the backline. He is not a marking target for kickouts. Opposition teams do not man up on him like other loose backman because he is no attacking threat.

The one thing that Rivers excels at is courage, he is not afraid to run back into a pack.He plays a loose man to help spoil and be the third man up. I believe almost any other player on the list could do this role, however they may also be able to defend or attack. Without being able to offer anything else, he is a liability in the team. I believe that Warnock could play the role Rivers does, but Rivers cannot play the role Warnock does.

Dreaming-Rivers is quicker , fitter and more accurate.Can also set up a goal .Warnock can negate but cannot get a kick even in the twos.

I think Rivers is the most overrated player that I have seen in three decades of watching football. How he has played more games than Warnock is beyond me. He plays the easiest position on the ground yet he rarely stars.

He rarely is responsible for a direct opponent and he provides almost no attacking value. I can’t think of any other player in the league that has it so easy. I think Rivers would struggle to get a game at any other club.

He won the raising star as an older mature player in a weak year, and has been getting selected off it ever since.

Most weeks he plays loose because he cannot defend one on one. He is not capable of playing on a tall, a strong or a fast player. It was plain to see during the few times when he is given a direct opponent this year opposition teams isolate him because they know even in a poor side he is the weak link.

He has poor disposal, I believe that it is on par with Warnocks. He offers very little run out of the backline. He is not a marking target for kickouts. Opposition teams do not man up on him like other loose backman because he is no attacking threat.

The one thing that Rivers excels at is courage, he is not afraid to run back into a pack.He plays a loose man to help spoil and be the third man up. I believe almost any other player on the list could do this role, however they may also be able to defend or attack. Without being able to offer anything else, he is a liability in the team. I believe that Warnock could play the role Rivers does, but Rivers cannot play the role Warnock does.

Warnock can not pay the role Rivers does...no way in hell can he.....Rivers plays that role because he is the best at it in the team. He is one of our best spoilers, has more courage than anyone else at the club barr maybe McKenzie, and his reading of the play is 2nd to none. That is why he plays a role that is super important to every team now.

Guest Gareth Keenan

Why do you think other clubs will chase a showbag of ordinary NQRs from a bottom level club?

Individually there not worth much. Together they are worth far less.

Really?

You wouldn't trade Trengove for Daniel Jackson, Luke McGuane and Angus Graham?

I'd do that deal in a heartbeat...

(Tongue planted firmly in cheek)

Exactly - you can't take three players who are 33.33 out of 100 and add them together to get a 100/100 player. Their worth reduces if you put them together because you've then got three spuds taking up valuable spaces on your list, not just one.

Exactly - you can't take three players who are 33.33 out of 100 and add them together to get a 100/100 player. Their worth reduces if you put them together because you've then got three spuds taking up valuable spaces on your list, not just one.

You're right. We should throw in a fourth round pick as well ;)

Matthew Warnock's trade value mostly depends on whether 2 or more clubs want him.

David Hale (who mostly played VFL in 2010 like Warnock has in 2011) was traded last year for an end of 1st round 5 yr compo pick (the Campbell Brown pick?) because both HFC and MFC were chasing him. In addition Hale was in contract so that increases his price because he can't threaten to nominate for the draft.

If 2 clubs want Warnock then there can be an auction. But because Warnock is OOC, if he prefers to go to the lower finishing club he can nominate for the draft with a contract price and there's a reasonable chance (but no guarantee) he'll get to that club - that decreases his price.

Edited by old55

Of some of the clubs mentioned who could be interested in Warnock here's what I reckon we'd be lucky to get in return.

Adelaide: Sloane or Dangerfield if we threw in pick 12 with Warnock but unlikely. More likely their 2nd round pick which will be about pick 34.

Carlton: Russell in straight swap. Could take Bartram's spot in our back line.

GWS:Chance to get O'Merra or Kennedy in the mini draft if we packaged Warnock with pick 12.

Hawthorn: Ellis (see Russell with Carlton).

St. Kilda: Don't really know what they've got that we'd be keen on taking for Warnock. Farren Ray is someone that can play a run with role in the midfield but don't see them wanting to trade him.

Would also like to get a 3 way deal happening with any of these clubs and Brisbane to get Cornelius to Melbourne. Reckon he's someone who's ready to take on the responsability of playing FF but may struggle to do that in the next few seasons at Brisbane with Brown & Clark.

Adelaide option - Yeah, brings back memories of the Castle

Carlton - Would love to make a play for him (him and Grimes could rotate between midfield and HBF - he has nice disposal too). Straight swap alone won't be enough.

GWS - Deal of the Century. Including Warnock in such a deal would be like rubbing salt into an open wound - why (from a GWS pov)?

Hawks - Again similar to Russell, would prefer Russell more, but Ellis would come cheaper (if only just a little bit).

And to think, the silly season is still over a month away, then people will be moaning for the draft to hurry up and get here, then people will start to get sick of pre-season wanting the start of the season to come quicker, then season starts at which time we're not as good as what we thought we'd be, then we will be begging for the end of the season, then comes trade time again, then comes the draft in which we select one Jack Viney and possibly another 2 1st rounders, then we will again be frustrated with the long summer longing for season 2013 to start................then after a somewhat fast 27 weeks we finally raise the [censored] thing????

Tomorrow, Tomorrow, i luv ya tomorrow, you're always a day away......... :)

Guest Gareth Keenan

Matthew Warnock's trade value mostly depends on whether 2 or more clubs want him.

David Hale (who mostly played VFL in 2010 like Warnock has in 2011) was traded last year for an end of 1st round 5 yr compo pick (the Campbell Brown pick?) because both HFC and MFC were chasing him. In addition Hale was in contract so that increases his price because he can't threaten to nominate for the draft.

If 2 clubs want Warnock then there can be an auction. But because Warnock is OOC, if he prefers to go to the lower finishing club he can nominate for the draft with a contract price and there's a reasonable chance (but no guarantee) he'll get to that club - that decreases his price.

Also, depends on the 2 clubs and whether they WANT him, because he's the best available to fill that particular role... Or if both teams need a role filled, and they reckon he'll do.

cant remember anyone posting this comment form the article on sportsnewsfirst....http://www.sportsnewsfirst.com.au/articles/2011/09/05/melbourne-departures-start/

Robert 5 September 2011 12:41PM

Unfortunate for Melbourne for him to want to go. There are virtually no MFC players who have developed and improved in the AFL this year and nearly all are playing with no confidence in the MFC system and in themselves. He is the type of player you need to win a premiership. It will be very fortunate for a new club in the hunt for a premiership where consistency, reliability and performance does matter. It will be interesting to see what clear, proven coaching and people management will produce in him. Warnock is a rare tall backman and one for a club to build a spine and structure around. This is possibly the start of many more who want out of Melbourne!!

Could this be his brother by any chance lol.....love the highlited bits, sounds a bit sour grapes imo lol

That kind of negativity could only come from a melbourne supporter.

Hawthorn are going to be all over Warnock.

Was thinking the same thing. I don't think Schoenmakers would get a spot on any other list, and while they've got Stratton to come back, their backline is ordinary. Warnock won't solve everything and he's not the player he was in 2008-09, but he'd walk into their backline. They should be one club pushing for his services, hopefully we can get one or two more clubs (GWS?) interested so we can garner more than pick 70 in a trade.

Warnocks worth will be determined by the amount of clubs in their premiership window that believe they are a key defender short of a tilt. Geelongs talls carving up Hawthorn on Friday does not harm his value. Here's hoping Hurley and co do similar to Carlton today. I think people will be suprised by his value if we get two clubs in need.

Edited by big_red_fire_engine

Warnocks worth will be determined by the amount of clubs in their premiership window that believe they are a key defender short of a tilt. Geelongs talls carving up Hawthorn on Friday does not harm his value. Here's hoping Hurley and co do similar to Carlton today. I think people will be suprised by his value if we get two clubs in need.

Possible interested clubs:

Hawks ?

Crows ?

GWS ?

Dockers ?

Blues ?

I hope there is a few interested. Could also be one of the first dominoes to fall.

Could also be the player who may assist in getting someone such as O'Meara of GWS, if in pursuit of O'Meara. If GWS is in pursuit of someone down back to help out Davis and take on the gorilla's.

edit: don't think Blues and Dockers would contemplate him on second thought.

Possible interested clubs:

Hawks ?

Crows ?

GWS ?

Dockers ?

Blues ?

I hope there is a few interested. Could also be one of the first dominoes to fall.

Could also be the player who may assist in getting someone such as O'Meara of GWS, if in pursuit of O'Meara. If GWS is in pursuit of someone down back to help out Davis and take on the gorilla's.

edit: don't think Blues and Dockers would contemplate him on second thought.

Would actually be a meaningful pickup for them. He could help carry the walkign frames for some others also :rolleyes:

But in all seriouslness. If if comes down to a decent pick and a player ttto get The Jaegermeister then its a bit of a win win ( again..lol )

I actually rate Matty, much maligned...good luck to him :)

Would actually be a meaningful pickup for them. He could help carry the walkign frames for some others also :rolleyes:

But in all seriouslness. If if comes down to a decent pick and a player ttto get The Jaegermeister then its a bit of a win win ( again..lol )

I actually rate Matty, much maligned...good luck to him :)

As people have stated on this thread he offers little trade value. But value at that. As I said it might even be the little 'sweetener' of the Nutra-Sweet variety along with the compo picks in return for O'Meara.

Or a small pick upgrade that may cause a domino to fall...