Let's bring John Butcher back home!

SidVicious

I think we should see the same moral as GWS use on chasing Scully

and Sydney chasing Sylvia.

The only Moral I want to here about around the MFC is the one that wins games.

The rest can go jump for mine.

There's no harm in asking the boy if he would like to come home and play with us.

If he says no we just leave it there.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The only Moral I want to here about around the MFC is the one that wins games.

There's no harm in asking the boy if he would like to come home and play with us.

If he says no we just leave it there.

Lol....now now Dee.

He was the one shining light against the Dawks last week. That has to say something. He might need some straightening up but i'm sure they'll work on all that with him.

I've only seen last weeks game, and one game doesn't really mean much, but it was against the Hawks who are doing pretty well. And the you tube vid courtesy Watt & Howe up there.

Love to secure this guy if we can. Maybe we can if Scully ends up getting poached.

Hutchi (on SEN this morning) was saying (tongue in cheek) that he's homesick apparently and wants to come home.

Almost a ready made CHF with a few pre-seasons under his belt. And at worst if we/he couldn't straighten up sufficiently i'd still love to have that contested marking skill and run off the half back line. Maybe our version of Scarlett! :wub:

Yes please for mine.

I was a huge Butcher fan the Year he was drafted but soon realised how bad we were in the Mids. Then realised later about his kicking.

Since this time we've recruited Fitzpatrick and Cook, Howe, TMacdonald, Davis so I think we don't need him atmo. we could do with an old headed tall forward for a year, but IMO we'll start to Pick more Mids and later some young development Talls.

We also need some more small forwards to follow behind Lawrence.

The only Moral I want to hear about around the MFC is the one that wins games.

edit: pity I could not spell "hear"

Go old! Lovin' that post!

I here you ... i mean....hear you!

B)

We are going to have a low draft pick lets offer it.

Plus Bate, Campbell, Spencer and Maric

Please no more skinny choir boys.

....and this one! Beautiful work mate :lol:

Sure you wouldn't wanna throw Morton in there as well? I've heard he's got a very nice voice!

He has Matthew Bate like kicking, can be effective but with such a flawed action, odds are he will miss more than he kick over time.

I can absorb what you are saying but he seems to have a great set of hands.

I can absorb what you are saying but he seems to have a great set of hands.

Terrific set of hands, and I am genuinely happy he has played so well after having so many injuries. But, if he was to come to Melbourne, a complete overhaul of his kicking action would be required (which the club didn't do with Bate and Bartram).

Even Tiger Woods changed his golf swing.

Edited by Clint Bizkit

One could say that his kicking action needs a bit of work. However, he has kicked 11.1 in his 3 games this year, which is pretty bloody accurate. What he's doing now seems to be working for him really well, so why change something that's not broke?

Sometimes individual kicking actions are best left alone. Buddy can have his arc, Cloke his ipod, Butcher his James Manson impersonation...whatever works for them.

One things for sure...this kids value has gone through the roof, and if he is intending to come back to Victoria and his home of Maffra, clubs better have deep pockets.

Can't believe Tiger Woods got a mention...he's been swinging alot of late, that's done wonders.

We won't get him he will re-sign I reckon, I don't think he will want to come to MFC.

As against staying at port with their fantastic prospects!

Having said that FdD My gut tells me he will resign.

But there is of course GWS to add to the mix.

Should have a crack to secure a KPP player like Butcher??

Use a couple of 2 first round picks we get from club x for our player?? and offer them to Port for Butcher

Merged with another Butcher thread already on this 1st page board.

Port Adelaide's John Butcher likely to re-sign but Carlton interested

Sounds like a few clubs are interested. Glad we are apparently one of them!

So when was the last time we beat Carlton to recruit a player from another club?

Never.

The challenge for Melbourne's recruiters to beat the others in a race to get him would be enormous.

Nonetheless, we have one small factor in our favour and that is that his family comes from Maffra and, according to reports, his father has some form of minor coaching role at Gippsland Power which has a connection with the Casey Scorpions. Butcher also has a younger brother with Gippsland Power who is line ball to get drafted and therefore could end up down the highway at the Scorpions which is the usual destination for the better Gippsland players who miss out on the cut.

I suppose we'll know very soon how much $'s we have to splash about on recruiting and what we have in terms of draft picks to offer in trades but my guess is our priorities will be to bolster the midfield and find a tall, strong marking KPF like Butcher.

We're up against it but every little bit counts!

So when was the last time we beat Carlton to recruit a player from another club? 

Never.

The challenge for Melbourne's recruiters to beat the others in a race to get him would be enormous.

Nonetheless, we have one small factor in our favour and that is that his family comes from Maffra and, according to reports, his father has some form of minor coaching role at Gippsland Power which has a connection with the Casey Scorpions. Butcher also has a younger brother with Gippsland Power who is line ball to get drafted and therefore could end up down the highway at the Scorpions which is the usual destination for the better Gippsland players who miss out on the cut.

I suppose we'll know very soon how much $'s we have to splash about on recruiting and what we have in terms of draft picks to offer in trades but my guess is our priorities will be to bolster the midfield and find a tall, strong marking KPF like Butcher.

We're up against it but every little bit counts!

Often, the clubs that get in early in such situations end up getting the player. If he wants to come back home as some reports have indicated then I hope we can entice him with our promise for the future. To do that we also need to be well advanced in our search for a coach as well. Of course, all it needs is for GWS to show interest and they'll blow everyone else out of the water with a ridiculous offer.

Listened to an interview with the notorious Paul Connors (Butcher's manager) on 5aa in Adelaide yesterday. When asked about Butcher's chances of staying at Port, he said that Butcher is going to play this round then will spend a few days at home in Maffra with his parents and work out what he wants to do. Reading between the usual BS that a manager spits out, I got the impression that there is a fair chance he may end up back in Melbourne! Butcher is seriously homesick (if you believe local rumor) and it is basically common knowledge that he was not overly impressed with being drafted to Port to begin with. But the recent signings at Port may improve the outlook here with the club building a fairly decent young list.

But beware! Carlton will be moving heaven and earth to get this guy! He fits their needs perfectly! Eddie Betts and Jeffy would be all over the crumbs from his contests like a rash!

Also I have heard rumours that Ninethmond are sniffing around...

We really need to announce our coach ASAP! Will be easier to entice players if they know who will be yelling at them :)