• PODCAST LIVE @ 8:30pm      

Call: 03 9016 3666 or Skype: Demonland31
    Click Here for LIVE Chat
    If you still want to browse Demonland
    while listening to the Podcast
    choose pop up player below

TuneIn    Opens in New Tab
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Let's bring John Butcher back home!

SidVicious

Very difficult to get him to MFC.

As WJ points out when was the last time a player preferred to come to us over Carlton for example? And right now our rep is at an even lower ebb.

Second - what are you going to trade for him? No player wants to go to Port and the traded player has to agree to the trade. The talk of Jamar, Sylvia etc is fanciful - they are not going to Port Adelaide. if we try to trade them out to PA they'll be off to other much greener pastures before you can blink.

We won't be able to get him in the draft if he forces Port to put him there because we wont have an early enough pick - someone else will surely swoop.

The best we can offer is our 1st round pick somewhere between 12 and 17 and that's just not value for Port. The only way that could get the job done was if he insists that he wants to come to MFC only - go back to point 1. If he INSISTS on going to Carlton they would have to give their 1st rounder and have to trade out another good player to somwhere else to get another early pick.

It's not going to happen.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In all seriousness though, and I'm calling for the Casey observers, where does Butcher rate compared to the progress of Cook and Fitzpatrick? Obviously the latter 2 haven't done it on the big stage like Butcher seems to be doing, but in terms of pack marking, size (both height and potential bulk). I saw Fitzpatrick on the weekend, he had a jacket on and pants, but his height blew me away - I didn't realise how tall he is. If he can fill out, can he be our "Butcher"?

As WJ points out when was the last time a player preferred to come to us over Carlton for example? And right now our rep is at an even lower ebb.

Second - what are you going to trade for him? No player wants to go to Port and the traded player has to agree to the trade. The talk of Jamar, Sylvia etc is fanciful - they are not going to Port Adelaide. if we try to trade them out to PA they'll be off to other much greener pastures before you can blink.

We won't be able to get him in the draft if he forces Port to put him there because we wont have an early enough pick - someone else will surely swoop.

The best we can offer is our 1st round pick somewhere between 12 and 17 and that's just not value for Port. The only way that could get the job done was if he insists that he wants to come to MFC only - go back to point 1. If he INSISTS on going to Carlton they would have to give their 1st rounder and have to trade out another good player to somwhere else to get another early pick.

It's not going to happen.

Sounds a bit defeatist there if we should want to go this way or even move on Gaff for that matter. Who knows where we will finish for a start and who might have the first Victorian Draft pick not to mention what will come our way should someone decide to go to Sydney. Further Jamar comes from Adelaide, can see Gawn , Martin ,Spencer, Campbell, Rookie ( perhaps) will all be competing for reduced ruck spots and just might think its worth cashing in now. Who knows, he could get injured next year and what is his position then.So now could be a win/win for all. Finally what have Carlton got to offer/ McLean? the Irishman? older blokes like Simpson, Carazzo some second hand defenders? ( Not all that attractive to Port Adelaide )they would have to offer pretty big player wise. Our window will just be opening and if Carlton doesn't excite in this years finals, theirs might just be starting to close. Butcher one would presume would be smart enough to judge future upside of the respective sides.

At best we could get the player we want at worst we could make the bidding war quite a party!

Listened to an interview with the notorious Paul Connors (Butcher's manager) on 5aa in Adelaide yesterday. When asked about Butcher's chances of staying at Port, he said that Butcher is going to play this round then will spend a few days at home in Maffra with his parents and work out what he wants to do. Reading between the usual BS that a manager spits out, I got the impression that there is a fair chance he may end up back in Melbourne! Butcher is seriously homesick (if you believe local rumor) and it is basically common knowledge that he was not overly impressed with being drafted to Port to begin with. But the recent signings at Port may improve the outlook here with the club building a fairly decent young list.

But beware! Carlton will be moving heaven and earth to get this guy! He fits their needs perfectly! Eddie Betts and Jeffy would be all over the crumbs from his contests like a rash!

Also I have heard rumours that Ninethmond are sniffing around...

We really need to announce our coach ASAP! Will be easier to entice players if they know who will be yelling at them :)

A bit of a conundrum for us eh. We'd like to offer him a cracking deal, at least i'd hope we would at least consider it, and move with urgency if there's interest from the other end. But if he's manager puts up the coaching situation.....where do we go? Ummm....can Mark just hold off a few weeks and ignore offers from the Blues etc while we shore up a coach and support team...is that ok?

Maybe if the deal's attractive enough...Port will just go for it provided Butcher's management see it as attractive ehough. Someone on here said offer them Jamar. A huge risk for us given that we don't have a truly established ruckman alternative.....yet. Martin looking good but not quite the tapping skills or the body on body capability of the big Russian

Do we offer early round pick via Scully deal plus say Petterd .....or Sylvia?

We could go Morton and early round pick as a sucker deal.....but doubt Port will go for that.

Maybe we give them an early round from Scully and offer them Bate, Dunn & Maric as well lol.

I'm not saying we offer any of these. Nor do i like the idea of trading our only part time A grader (Sylvia) or our key ruckman. But like Whispering said up there....when was the last time we snaffled someone like this from under the noses of the Blues.....or anyone for that matter?

Is he worth a Sylvia, Petterd or Jamar type trade?

Is the club even interested?

Edited by Rusty Nails

Second - what are you going to trade for him? No player wants to go to Port and the traded player has to agree to the trade.

Hello? He is out of contract. Don't need to trade anything. Just convince him.

Having said that I am not convinced he has what it takes. Can take a mark but the rest? Good on him for performing at the right time though.

Edited by jnrmac

So when was the last time we beat Carlton to recruit a player from another club? 

Never.

The challenge for Melbourne's recruiters to beat the others in a race to get him would be enormous.

Nonetheless, we have one small factor in our favour and that is that his family comes from Maffra and, according to reports, his father has some form of minor coaching role at Gippsland Power which has a connection with the Casey Scorpions. Butcher also has a younger brother with Gippsland Power who is line ball to get drafted and therefore could end up down the highway at the Scorpions which is the usual destination for the better Gippsland players who miss out on the cut.

I suppose we'll know very soon how much $'s we have to splash about on recruiting and what we have in terms of draft picks to offer in trades but my guess is our priorities will be to bolster the midfield and find a tall, strong marking KPF like Butcher.

We're up against it but every little bit counts!

Same applies to Hawthorn.

Last trade week we were front runners to get David Hale on Tuesday. By Thursday, he was a Hawk. He has made Hawthorn stronger.

Hello? He is out of contract. Don't need to trade anything. Just convince him.

Having said that I am not convinced he has what it takes. Can take a mark but the rest? Good on him for performing at the right time though.

And that would mean he would have to nominate for the ND, and we have to hope that he makes it down to us. ***shivers*** very Luke Ball-like.

Edited by billy2803

It seems to me that if we want Butcher and are in a position to pay what he's worth then we need to:

1. Convince him and his management that his future lies at the MFC, and

2. Come up with a decent trade that would attract Port's interest.

Now, we would appear to be well off for ruckmen while Port's Dean Brogan retires after the weekend. On that basis, I believe that one of our ruckmen plus a draft pick might be a reasonable basis for negotiations.

It seems to me that if we want Butcher and are in a position to pay what he's worth then we need to:

1. Convince him and his management that his future lies at the MFC, and

2. Come up with a decent trade that would attract Port's interest.

Now, we would appear to be well off for ruckmen while Port's Dean Brogan retires after the weekend. On that basis, I believe that one of our ruckmen plus a draft pick might be a reasonable basis for negotiations.

If we believe this bloke is going to be a very good player as some other apparently clubs do, then the trade of a ruckman would seem a reasonable option in a trade with Port Adelaide given the Brogan situation.

How about Martin and our first 2011 draft pick for Butcher?

No way not after the way he has improved this season, different type of player but have a look at some old foortage of Dean Cox in 2003 when Gardiner injured his knee. He took a big step that year after being in the WAFL mostly before this and we all know where he went to from there. Would not like to take such a chance on Martin after the massive improvement he has shown this season. Spencer and some other seasoned players would be a better option in MHO

The guy can take a contested mark and is a natural forward, BUT his kicking is unreliable, he has had a chronic back problem and there was some question about his temperament when he was playing at the Gippsland Power. He is not worth Martin and a draft pick. We would be much better off looking for and tough and skilful midfielder. Especially if Scully goes.

Edited by btdemon

Only caught the back end of a conversation on crunch time on SEN but they said Richmond were keen, Carlton had made enquiries with his management and that Melbourne were massively into him.

The way Robbo said it about Melbourne i got the impression Melbourne were making a strong move after him?

Yeah a few clubs interested, but he fits a need for us over the next decade and he's young enough to fit into the team where it is now and will be at his peak when we are. What more can you want.

As for his history, he seems to have gotten his body right after being in the system almost two years and as for attitude, well thats for the club to find out.

The main thing is as stated, get him interested in us and then work out a deal not the other way around. That way he can got o port saying I want to go the dee's. Make it happen or I'll walk to the draft.

As for offering Martin, no way. He's a vital cog in the team. rucks and forward and even a backman. Mister versatile and far more valuable since the sub rule came in.

basically a reasonable draft pick maybe 2nd round and a player or two. This draft is meant to be really shallow so no loss there.

The guy can take a contested mark and is a natural forward, BUT his kicking is unreliable, he has had a chronic back problem and there was some question about his temperament when he was playing at the Gippsland Power. He is not worth Martin and a draft pick. We would be much better off looking for and tough and skilful midfielder. Especially if Scully goes.

When your temperament is questioned by people from Wonthaggi, you must be a pretty loose unit .

According to Caro in today's Age, Butcher is off the table:-

■Port Adelaide young gun John Butcher has signed a two-year contract with the club following teammates Jackson Trengove and Alipate Carlisle. Butcher's signing comes after recent approaches from several Melbourne clubs, including Carlton and Richmond, and is a major show of faith for Port after a dismal season.

I'm glad they've managed keep him. Seems like the kind of person that can draw a crowd, something Port desperately need.

Hardly an attractive proposition at the moment.

But your right I can think of no situation where we've landed a fish we're after

Joel Mac, Stef Martin and Liam Jurrah.

Gold fish, nonetheless fish.

Would dearly love a Great White that just moves through a school of fish.