The Tom Scully Saga

Quote about Scully against Essendon from the first article:

"He gained the third most metres of any player on the field, while still being monitored in terms of his game time."

Scully's game time was 74%, to be exact.

Unbelievable.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Let's just stop this crystal ball gazing:

Here are the facts -

- Most promising youngster in our team, probably the league : While some opine about how "we'd rather lose no.31 over no.5" in reality that is total b.s. We're dealing with a super duper star...something the dees haven't had for a long long long time.

- The guy is total deadpan, no matter what the situation

Most everything else is make-believe speculation

So let's stop analyzing whether or not he harmonizes using perfect intonation with Moloney during the song. The guy sang it exactly the same 8 times last year. He's probably just a quiet guy, but not on the ground - certainly doesn't lack in the on field leadership (His voice around contests is the stuff of great players...unfortunately I'm stuck watching overseas atm, but on fri night there were some close ups of ball ups and scull was managing the situations like a 100 game vet).

Edited by pitchfork

"I am here to play footy and I just glad that I am out there doing what I love [and] to be part of the win tonight was very special."

Scull's word's say it all 4 me

On sports tonite last night they said that strong word is he has definately gone and has signed an agreement, they went on to say he couldnt get out of it if he wanted too.

Has anyone aslo heard the rumour about his best mate Bastinac from Nth melb also signing, and they have signed for each other to get out of having to say i havent signed anything.(power of attorney)

I would be devastated if Skull left as he is "THE" player we have been looking for all these years.

He is a once in a generation player.

Maybe all of us Melb supporters should stage a rally or fundraising event , getting media interest and putting pressure on Skull to sign.

Something like the Bulldogs did to keep Chris Grant.

Maybe get a 7 year old kid with Skulls number on his jumper to donate 20 cents as its all he has got.

If he does go it will tarnish his reputation not as a player but as a person for the remainder of his playing days.

You can use the excuse that the money was too good to pass up all you like but he has always had a choice.

If he goes he goes, no point crying over spilt milk, as hard as it will be to take.

I'll certainly be excited about the new draft prospects we get in return!

I'll certainly be excited about the new draft prospects we get in return!

True, but doesn't change the cold hard truth that this will cut our club very very deep. It will jeapardise our chances of being 'team of the decade'

True, but doesn't change the cold hard truth that this will cut our club very very deep. It will jeapardise our chances of being 'team of the decade'

Mate I could give a crap about trying to be team of the decade, how about let's just get to 'team of the year' for the first time in 47 years!

Of course it will cut deep, but what can you do about it? We pick ourselves up

And move forward like champion clubs do.

Geelong aren't looking too shabby minus Jnr are they?

Edited by Beetle

There is no doubt that the MFC will do absolutely everything in their power to keep Scully. At the end of the day though, the only thing we cannot match GWS on is the money. If the deal is too good to resist, than so be it.

Let us not forgot our many other young stars including (but not limited too) Watts, Gysberts, and Trengove plus the many others who hopefully have a bright future (Howe, Strauss, Blease, Cook, Gawn).

What will be, will be. I am still hopeful he will stay, but good luck to him if he goes. I will be devastated, but you have to respect his choice at the end of the day.

There is no doubt that the MFC will do absolutely everything in their power to keep Scully. At the end of the day though, the only thing we cannot match GWS on is the money. If the deal is too good to resist, than so be it.

Let us not forgot our many other young stars including (but not limited too) Watts, Gysberts, and Trengove plus the many others who hopefully have a bright future (Howe, Strauss, Blease, Cook, Gawn).

What will be, will be. I am still hopeful he will stay, but good luck to him if he goes. I will be devastated, but you have to respect his choice at the end of the day.

Correct we can only control what we can control.

MFC have to focus on 'selling' aspects of staying at the MFC that GWS can't match such as not being a manufactured, soulless franchise club with a terrible name and jumper compared to playing for the oldest club in the league who is on the (hopefully!) brink of a premiership window.

I don't know Tom personally but I do speak to someone VERY close to him from time to time. As of two weeks ago, I was told that Tom has had no discussions with GWS (nor has his management). Tom is very close to his family. This should work in our favour. I wouldn't worry about Mike's comments.

From the start of the 2011 season, the media have put a target on the clubs back. When ever something good happens for the moral of the club, the media step in and try to brake it down with what ever they have. They can't just let us enjoy the victory! do they have to print more Tom Scully crap? I mean really? :mad:

I don't know Tom personally but I do speak to someone VERY close to him from time to time. As of two weeks ago, I was told that Tom has had no discussions with GWS (nor has his management). Tom is very close to his family. This should work in our favour. I wouldn't worry about Mike's comments.

Being so close to his family could also work against us, 5 mil over 5 years could set up his family for life.

Gee some people here are ridiculous, dont people remember Tom said he wants to be a 1 club player and leaves contract talk upto MFC and his mangement. Jack Grimes on 3AW a couple weeks back was asked wether Tom Scully will be in the red and blue next year? his answer ABSOLUTLEY!!!! Plus Darren Jolly a couple of weeks back believes GWS will struggle to attract top players and GWS also believes they wont gain any reasonable players until 2012.

Gee some people here are ridiculous, dont people remember Tom said he wants to be a 1 club player and leaves contract talk upto MFC and his mangement. Jack Grimes on 3AW a couple weeks back was asked wether Tom Scully will be in the red and blue next year? his answer ABSOLUTLEY!!!! Plus Darren Jolly a couple of weeks back believes GWS will struggle to attract top players and GWS also believes they wont gain any reasonable players until 2012.

I reckon this latter one is a fair point - they get two bites at the cherry. Sheedy is definitely eyeing Pendlebury for the second year - why else would Pendlebury sign a 1yr extension only if not to see what GWS has to offer at the end of 2012? They can't afford to have thrown so much money at Folau PLUS do the same for Pendles and Skull, considering the first two demand over a mil a year.

I have no evidence, because there isn't any.

All I can confirm is that nothing has been signed. Mate of mine works for Hutchy and the mail at Croc Media is that GWS is confident, only because of the fact that they can offer so much more than us.

They shouldn't be so cynical about the intentions of a 19 year old that just wants to play footy and be successful. The kid recently moved into a place with his sister in the SE suburbs of Melbourne and I just can't see him leaving his family here in Melbourne.

And Mike Sheahan is an old Melbourne supporter with the same hang-ups many Melbourne supporters have surrounding "what makes our club so special to override all that money" and I also think 'Gubby' Allan is abusing his friendship with him by being deliberately coy. Constant speculation and doubt helps GWS.

Thanks for the response. I asked the same question to a couple of members who are certain he is going, and got no answer.

Tom wants be a successful player and a part of a premiership team. Tom has said that nothing has been signed. The Melbourne Football Club have to convince Tom that his best chance of becoming the greatest player he can possibly be will occur if he stays at the MFC. Money will be a factor in the negotiations, but so will location, family, our coaching line-up for 2012, and the teams' performance this season.

My mates and I are convinced he's going.

Without speculating or making up [censored], he seems to have that same pragmatic, emotionless drive that Judd has.

The curse of Norm Smith, remember?

Plus, it'll be a nice bonus if he stays.

He's either an honest person or he's not.He's either signed or he hasn't.If he's an honest person then he hasn't signed.Some people on here seem to think that its not lying if you can cover your statements with slick agreements or semantics ,I don't!Personally I prefer to think that he's the honest person type. Food for thought - what kind of parents teach their son that its ok to lie if you can somehow cover it up?

I get the same mail from someone close to the horse mouth aswell .

nothing to worry about , move on .

My mates and I are convinced he's going.

Without speculating or making up [censored], he seems to have that same pragmatic, emotionless drive that Judd has.

The curse of Norm Smith, remember?

Plus, it'll be a nice bonus if he stays.

I don't think this mindset is uncommon.

I also don't think it is healthy.

And I would add that even with your stated desire not to make up [censored], you have invoked, albeit flippantly, a club 'curse' as a reason for Tom leaving...

Does anyone think we are the same club we were three years ago?

As much as other supporters are convinced we are - we are not.

I know this, and my expectations have risen accordingly.

I no longer have an optimistic pessimism about the place (expect the worst, so that any outcome is a welcome surprise or just what you expected).

We are the best place for Tom and he will enjoy a very successful career at the Melbourne Football Club.

I don't think this mindset is uncommon.

I also don't think it is healthy.

And I would add that even with your stated desire not to make up [censored], you have invoked, albeit flippantly, a club 'curse' as a reason for Tom leaving...

Yes my tongue was planted firmly in my cheek.

I've got a contact at Croc (of [censored]) Media too and I'm afraid to ask him about this issue.

What's unhealthy is stealing a #1 draft pick of a club after he has played 30 games. But we rorted the system, so I will not be like some on here and burst into tears. Swings and roundabouts.

They say there's a positive out of everything.

yeah that's so funny

tell me are you still having a whinge about every single little facet of the club or have you gone a bit quiet this weekend? There's no use posting if you can cant sledge your own club eh?