• IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

COAST TO COAST

Demonland

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Think the Le Cras issue is a smokescreen, I would be 'amazed' if he was named, wasn't a slight calf injury, it was groin related and rush back and it will play up, although obviously Bailey has had someobdy watching Eagles training....unless of course he is joining in the game playing

FB: Bartram - Frawley - Garland

HB: Tapscott - Rivers - Grimes

C: Bail - Moloney - Trengove

HF: Davey- Watts Petterd

FF: Green - Jurrah - Wonna

R: Jamar - Gysberts - Sylvia

I: Morton - Jones - Martin

S: Bennell

Matchups:

Frawley to Lynch

Garland to Kennedy

Bartram to LeCras (if he plays, which I doubt)

Bail to Priddis

Cox versus Jamar. But Stef Martin will need to do the run-with stuff on Cox. Jamar will be killed when Cox runs forward.

It will interesting to see who plays on LJ. I don't think they have a match for him at all.

It will interesting to see who plays on LJ. I don't think they have a match for him at all.

agreed. Speaking with LJ last night he was saying last time Shannon Hurn played on him.... seems like they know they dont have anyone to negate him totally, so they are willing to play a create player on him in the hope they get a little more space themselves?

I don't see why playing Watts as a sub was a mistake. Dean Bailey explained it as picking the team for the occasion and that Watts was the player best placed to be the substitute. My view was that the team for the Gold Coast game was similar in forward structure to Carlton's which beat the Suns on the same ground a fortnight earlier.

In respect to any given game being important to win, I accept that we're still in that part of our development where the future is part of the bigger picture we need to strive for but we can't be accepting of performances like Q3 v Hawthorn and a win v last year's spooners should be part of our expectations if for nothing else than to show they've moved ahead from last year.

Juice's twitter today confirms he's still in Melbourne 

What a day to have a birthday on!! Day off, perfect weather and having a round of golf then dinner at squires loft tonight!

and the Fev's shaving his head for his Casey debut 

Just getting my head shaved well over due bloody grays http://img.ly/3BX2

It's also Juice's 24th birthday today.

Playing on Thursday night is a little different.

Whoever is the emergency can return to Melbourne and play for Casey over the weekend.

Not sure about the "sub" but perhaps they could line up for casey if they only play 1 quarter or less.

Any ideas on the rules re the Sub playing a couple of days later?

Crucial game for the Dees this one. absolutely has to be one where we must draw a line in the sand.

We have been pathetic interstate and are playing a team coming off a spoon with a bit of form. We need to bury them.

I will be disappointed if we do our usual trick of chasing them after getting jumped early, show some typical flashes of good play, coast to coast stuff, but end up letting too many goals through playing our attacking game where the midfielders do not defend properly.

Blokes like Davey, Sylvia, Moloney, Green etc are good enough to hurt this team but when will they stand up and play well when it's a bit tougher without a home crowd?

I am bracing myself for a game where we play decent football in patches, but don't have what it takes to beat what is an ordinary side with an average midfield interstate.

10 losses in a row over there. when will it stop ? we started developing players in 2007 with a longer term view. We should be winning these games by now.

Crucial game for the Dees this one. absolutely has to be one where we must draw a line in the sand.

We have been pathetic interstate and are playing a team coming off a spoon with a bit of form. We need to bury them.

I will be disappointed if we do our usual trick of chasing them after getting jumped early, show some typical flashes of good play, coast to coast stuff, but end up letting too many goals through playing our attacking game where the midfielders do not defend properly.

Blokes like Davey, Sylvia, Moloney, Green etc are good enough to hurt this team but when will they stand up and play well when it's a bit tougher without a home crowd?

I am bracing myself for a game where we play decent football in patches, but don't have what it takes to beat what is an ordinary side with an average midfield interstate.

10 losses in a row over there. when will it stop ? we started developing players in 2007 with a longer term view. We should be winning these games by now.

Agree with you RB anything less than a win will be very disappointing.

agreed. Speaking with LJ last night he was saying last time Shannon Hurn played on him.... seems like they know they dont have anyone to negate him totally, so they are willing to play a create player on him in the hope they get a little more space themselves?

I have to ask.... Do you know if Watts was at the Western Demons Dinner? Did he make the trip to Perth?

I have to ask.... Do you know if Watts was at the Western Demons Dinner? Did he make the trip to Perth?

yes & yes

Watts was there and looked in good spirits

Watts was in the typical airport footage this morning on Fox Sports news so he made the trip.

They spoke to Rivers in the report. Nothing re team make-up, just the expected stuff about needing to prove oursleves on the road etc.

I'd back Bartram to have first crack at LeCras. Garland to Kennedy who is too quick for Rivers. I'd play Riv on Darling and hope he can give a decent chop out to Garland while he's at it.

LeCras would smash Bartram. Luckily he wont be there.

Darling would be less of a concern if he was wearing red & blue. Sadly he isn't and will be a danger in this game. (Yes, I'm aware of the long term view with Cook etc).

It would have to be Garland on Darling IMO as he plays further up field Darling and seeing Chip is still lacking a run he will likely go to Lynch with Rivers on Kennedy.

I'd be flabbergasted if LeCras was picked. Groin injuries like that don't just go away.

If he doesn't play, I'd look at Frawley on Kennedy. Rivers didn't work on him last year. I don't know much about Darling but maybe Garland can take him, and thus Rivers to Lynch (when he goes forward).

If LeCras plays, I think Frawley will go to him, as he did last year. A bit risky given LeCras won't have played any lead-up football (i.e. might be a waste of Frawley), but he could win them the game off his own boot. Then we'd need Rivers on Kennedy and Garland on Lynch.

Bail to run with Embley, who's in fine form in 2011.

Playing on Thursday night is a little different.

Whoever is the emergency can return to Melbourne and play for Casey over the weekend.

Not sure about the "sub" but perhaps they could line up for casey if they only play 1 quarter or less.

Any ideas on the rules re the Sub playing a couple of days later?

I'm pretty sure that the sub can play in the VFL.

Whilst understanding where you are coming from I couldn't disagree more and I hope the footy department hasn't taken their eye off the ball and remembers that the path we are on is to win a flag in 2 to 8 years time.

When you put this game in that light winning or losing is of no importance. What is important is to keep doing the things that will help us win when we need to and in my opinion that means playing the players that will be participants in that time frame and playing them in the positions they will play at that time. Watts must play and I was staggered that he didn't play a full game last week. The open spaces of Subi should suit him but that really is just a side issue.

To the FD credit I think they have done wonderfully this year. They gave Stef Martin a go when his form in the NAB cup was questionable. They brought Morton straight back into the team and played Gysberts and Wonaeamirri as soon as they were able. Tapscott was given a go from round one and maintained ahead of Macdonald. From where I sit the Watts decision was the only mistake and I can't help thinking there was something behind that we don't know because it was just so strange.

This "vision" if you like started from the end of last season when Junior and Bruce left. Bail and Tapscott are probably the two beneficiaries and both have grabbed their chances.

The success stories of the season to date for me have been Martin, Bail and Tapscott. Wonaeamirri is becoming another.

The disappointments to date are Davey, Dunn and perhaps Green. Dunn needs to grab his chance as there are a few others just waiting to grab his spot. Macdonald is stiff. He is good enough to be in the 22 but is missing to make way for development.

Couldn't agree more. Whilst it would be disappointing to lose and great to win, this match is no more important than the game against the Gold Coast was, or the game against Adelaide will be.

Good summary of what the FD has achieved this year. It's been under fire in some quarters, but there have been success stories as you've mentioned.

so you get a minor injury and miss round 1, you're still considered underdone 4 weeks later?

no excuses now he should be at his best IMO

Maybe should not have come back so quick. I'm not sure, but that is not his fault or 'excuse' if that were the case.

To me, he has looked off pace a little. Not concerned as yet and putting it down to being underdone a little.

Unless it is confidence but why should it be? Perhaps the 4 week mark will see him ready as you suggest.

I hope so.

Selected sides announced -

Melbourne

B: James Frawley, Jared Rivers, Clint Bartram

HB: Jack Grimes, Colin Garland, Luke Tapscott

C: Brad Green, Nathan Jones, Rohan Bail

HF: Jordan Gysberts, Colin Sylvia, Aaron Davey

F: Austin Wonaeamirri, Liam Jurrah, Jack Watts

FOLL: Mark Jamar, Brent Moloney, Jack Trengove

I/C: Jamie Bennell, Cale Morton, Lynden Dunn, Stef Martin

EMG: Matthew Warnock, Ricky Petterd, Addam Maric

IN: -

OUT: -

West Coast Eagles

B: Ashley Smith, Darren Glass, Shannon Hurn

HB: Sam Butler, Eric Mackenzie, Scott Selwood

C: Andrew Embley, Matthew Priddis, Matthew Rosa

HF: Luke Shuey, Josh Kennedy, Mark Nicoski

F: Mark LeCras, Quinten Lynch, Jack Darling

Foll: Dean Cox, Daniel Kerr, Adam Selwood

I/C: Bradley Ebert, Nic Naitanui, Patrick McGinnity, Andrew Gaff

Emg: Will Schofield, Thomas Swift, Gerrick Weedon

In: Mark LeCras, Ashley Smith, Patrick McGinnity

Out: Mitch Brown (Hand), Will Schofield, Bradd Dalziell

In: Mark LeCras, Ashley Smith, Patrick McGinnity

Out: Mitch Brown (Hand), Will Schofield, Bradd Dalziell

Goddamn it. LeCras always kills us.

Stupid footballers and their quick healing bodies! :lol:

Glad we've made no change. I think that short of Scully and McKenzie this is our best line up, so no need for too many tweaks. Very interested to see who the sub is this week, but I'm going to guess it's not going to be Watts. We'll definitely go with a runner to give us some fresh legs on that big ground.

I'd be flabbergasted if LeCras was picked. Groin injuries like that don't just go away.

Consider yourself flabbergasted then!

No change for the 2nd week in a row, and virtually the same 25. That's 5 from 5 now for Warnock as an emergency!

Rivers on Kennedy would be a huge mistake. Kennedy is exactly the type of player who makes Jared Rivers look ordinary. I'd rather play a 7-man backline than have Rivers match up on someone faster than him.

Rivers loose = brilliant

Rivers vs anyone fast = disaster.

Good thing about the Thursday night game is that Matthew Warnock, Ricky Petterd, Addam Maric will be able to play for Casey on Sat if they are not called up...

Eagles have put all of their eggs in this basket. They know they are going to loose the next 2 games so have rushed back LeCras for the game tommorow night. here is to hoping he goes down with the same injury inside the first 5 mins!