COAST TO COAST

Demonland

COAST TO COAST by Dave from Dianella

Having taken a leisurely week's break after its win against the Gold Coast Suns in Brisbane, Melbourne is heading off to foreign territory again to take on the West Coast Eagles at the newly named Patersons Stadium (formerly "Subiaco Oval") on Thursday night. Although pitted against last year's wooden spooner, in many respects, the emerging Demons face a major challenge that could well shape their season.

Whenever a Melbourne side ventures west of the South Australian border, the talk inevitably turns to the club's woeful interstate playing record. Leaving aside the novelty of that triple header NAB Cup event in February, the team's record in Adelaide (no wins in more than a decade) is abysmal and its almost as bad across the Nullarbor in Perth where the last Demon victory came in Round 11, 2004. That was against Fremantle on a wet day when Peter Vardy kicked four goals and a young pimply faced Brock McLean in his first season helped in beating up the then lowly Dockers by 13.15.93 to 9.8.62. You have to go back another two years to Round 19, 2002 to find a Melbourne win over the West Coast Eagles. The Dees fell in by a straight kick that day, 15.16.106 to 15.10.100.

But all that's history. Half the current side had barely reached puberty and a fresh faced Brad Green was barely out of his teens. Little Johnny Howard was the Prime Minister, you could buy a tank of petrol without having to mortgage your house and Saddam Hussein was busily boasting about the weapons of mass destruction he either didn't have or has hidden so well in the desert that nobody can find them.

My point is that we're now in 2011. This is a new and different Melbourne team to that which last ventured over here to take on the West Coast two years ago and, if they are to start making an impact on the competition, they need to perform well in places far away from home.

And while many have been critical of the way the team has performed to date, a look at the AFL ladder indicates that, despite having already had one of its two byes for the season, it occupies a place in the top half for the first time in half a decade. That may be partially thanks to a very friendly draw but you can develop some momentum in these situations.

That's why Thursday night looms large for the Melbourne Football Club as a great opportunity for it to accept the challenge and take another step forward on what still remains a long journey.

THE GAME

West Coast Eagles v Melbourne at Patersons Stadium - Thursday 28 April 2011 at 8:40pm (AEST)

HEAD TO HEAD

Overall West Coast 25 wins Melbourne 15 wins

At Patersons Stadium West Coast 11 wins Melbourne 5 wins

Since 2000 West Coast 9 wins Melbourne 7 wins

The Coaches Worsfold 2 wins Bailey 2 wins

MEDIA

TV Channel 10 live at 8.30 pm (Victoria)

RADIO 1116SEN ABC774 3AW

THE BETTING

West Coast to win $1.72 Melbourne to win $2.00

LAST TIME THEY MET

West Coast 10.15.75 defeated Melbourne 6.10.46 at the MCG Round 8, 2010

The Demons started red hot favourites to win this game on their home turf but, after an even first half with scores were level on 5.5.35 apiece, the Eagles dominated.

Melbourne constantly bombed away into the forward line but simply had nobody to take the big grab and when the ball hit the ground, the West Coast defence moved the ball away from danger with consummate ease. To the dismay of their home fans, the Demons kicked only one goal in the last half and in the final analysis, the loss against the eventual wooden spooner was arguably their worst performance for the year. Only aging skipper James McDonald could hold his head high at the end of the day.

THE TEAMS

WEST COAST EAGLES

Backs Ashley Smith Darren Glass Shannon Hurn

Half backs Sam Butler Eric Mackenzie Scott Selwood

Centreline Andrew Embley Matthew Priddis Matthew Rosa

Half forwards Luke Shuey Josh Kennedy Mark Nicoski

Forwards Mark LeCras Quinten Lynch Jack Darling

Followers Dean Cox Daniel Kerr Adam Selwood

Interchange Bradley Ebert Nic Naitanui Patrick McGinnity Andrew Gaff

Emergencies Will Schofield Thomas Swift Gerrick Weedon

In Mark LeCras Ashley Smith Patrick McGinnity

Out Mitch Brown (hand) Will Schofield Bradd Dalziell

MELBOURNE

Backs James Frawley Jared Rivers Clint Bartram

Half backs Jack Grimes Colin Garland Luke Tapscott

Centreline Brad Green Nathan Jones Rohan Bail

Half forwards Jordan Gysberts Colin Sylvia Aaron Davey

Forwards Austin Wonaeamirri Liam Jurrah Jack Watts

Followers Mark Jamar Brent Moloney Jack Trengove

Interchange Jamie Bennell Lynden Dunn Stef Martin Cale Morton

Emergencies Addam Maric Ricky Petterd Matthew Warnock

No Change

CLIFFHANGER

Some Melbourne fans were apparently not happy with the 15 goal victory over the Suns in their first encounter against the new franchise a little under a fortnight ago. Presumably, they were expecting to see Melbourne break Carlton's record 119 point winning margin from round two (I think they could have achieved a not hit the woodwork six or seven times during the match).

This critical approach is an interesting phenomenon, perhaps due to heightened expectations resulting from a handful of very good performances in the latter half of 2010. On top of that, the club has stability at the top in terms of its administration and its finances and is developing a fine list of players that will only get better with the experience which only time can bring. But is it realistic to expect sustained rather than gradual improvement in between the usual ups and downs?

The opposition this week is also a developing unit with a good mix of youth and experience. The Eagles have shown marked improvement this year with the return to form of Dean Cox, the steadiness of skipper Darren Glass, the vitality of Andrew Embley and the return of Daniel Kerr who always seems to turn it on against Melbourne. Josh Kennedy is hitting his straps at centre half forward and long kicking Quentin Lynch is always a danger. Scott Selwood is also in his best form at the club. They also have some good young 'uns in Nick Naitanui, Luke Shuey and first year pair Andrew Gaff and Jack Darling.

West Coast has been consistent in its four matches to date and could easily have been four and zip with a bit of luck. The Eagles' last start performance was a narrow loss to Hawthorn in Launceston and it was a far superior effort to that which Melbourne produced in capitulating against the Hawks earlier in the month.

A key duel will be in the ruck where Melbourne has fared well so far this year thanks to the dominance of Mark Jamar and the rapid improvement of Stefan Martin in the back up ruckman's role. They face their biggest test in 2011 against an in form Cox and the exuberant Naitanui and this extends not only to the ruck contests but to the around the ground play on the open spaces of Patersons Stadium.

I can recall a famous Demon victory at this same venue in the late 1990s that was instigated by a winning ruck set up, a hard working midfield and some individual brilliance. The team will need to win the contested football and work hard in the clinches to pull this one out of the bag. I expect the individual brilliance to be provided by the indigenous stars in Liam Jurrah, Aaron Davey, Austin Wonaeamirri and Jamie Bennell.

The fact is that a win in this game will open up a little space between Melbourne and other competitors for a in the race for a top eight placing and even at this early stage, it will not hurt the team to be so well placed for the first time in many years.

With many players putting their hands up for a game at the Casey Scorpions, the young Demons have all the incentive to put in a blinder under the gaze of the football world on prime time television. If they want to remain in the limelight they will need to perform and I believe they will do just enough to win a cliffhanger in the West.

Melbourne by 2 points.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Channel 10 news had vision of the team arriving in Perth and Ricky Petterd's there so he's in the squad.

Still may be an emergency, perhaps the sub again.

We could do worse.

Did you see Watts?

I would send Ricky straight into the forward line in the starting 18, as i think he has been dealt a harsh hand so far this season.

I would also consider moving Dunn back to a tagging role on Priddis, who killed us last year. I know he doesn't do it much anymore, but he blanketed Jobe early in the Bombers game last year, and seems well suited to the bigger bodied one paced midfielders.

I haven't decided who to leave out though, as I would like to see Watts get a go on the larger Patersons Stadium.

if bailey is trying to send watts a message by playing him as a sub, wouldnt he be better off dropping him for a couple of weeks. the pies showed yesterday how a tall forward line can work.

This match is so important to win. We have a brutal run coming up.

The next three are, because we'll be lucky to get a win from the following five (Saints, Carlton, Essendon, Filth, Freo). I really want 3 from 3 if we're to have a hope of playing finals.

The next three are, because we'll be lucky to get a win from the following five (Saints, Carlton, Essendon, Filth, Freo). I really want 3 from 3 if we're to have a hope of playing finals.

If we win the next 3, then we will win some of that next 5. Confidence will grow in the team. Thursday's game is very important.

It is important for the team more than the individual,

Cant wait for the Aints clash......if ever we have a chance to beat em its now.

Remember Terry Wallace with his crunch games once a season or so he would identify a game they had to win and theyd all sign a ball or something? This is one of those games for us. We might lose which were all used too but nothing should be left in the rooms in this one. A must win. Go Dees Unleash hell!

This weeks team and matchups what do you think?

FB: Bartram - Frawley - Garland

HB: Tapscott - Rivers - Grimes

C: Davey - Moloney - Trengove

HF: Sylvia - Green - Watts

FF: Petterd - Jurrah - Wonna

R: Jamar - Gysberts - Bail

I: Morton - Jones - Martin

S: Bennell

Matchups:

Frawley to Lynch

No one else can go with the strength of Lynch. Frawley will kill Lynch on the rebound and could be a vital part of us taking the chocolates tommorow night. Frawleys 3rd game back into the side and needs to get up and going again, hopefully this game will be the game.

Rivers to Kennedy

Rivers wont be strong enough for Q so he will have to go to Kennedy. Kennedy is a good CHF and will test Rivers all day. I believe we will need Grimes to chop out infront of Kennedy, otherwise he may beat us.

Garland to LeCras

I think Garland will be able to match LeCras. I believe his strength is his football smarts, he is not gifted with amazing speed for a small forward and Garlands reach should trouble him all day. If he starts to get onto of Garland, Bartram switches to him for a hard tag.

Bail to Priddis

Priddis can tear up teams with his excellent stoppage work and tackling. If Jordie was playing, he would be a perfect matchup for Priddis, so Bail will have to tag another bloke similar to Black. I believe he can do it, and hurt WCE on the rebound due to his pace being far superior to Priddis.

Shuey V Trengove?

Could be a good matchup, Trengove coming off a great game and Shuey starting to play some seriously good football.

Cox V Rush

The Showdown. Show us why you are an AA standard ruckman big rush!

I would send Ricky straight into the forward line in the starting 18, as i think he has been dealt a harsh hand so far this season.

I would also consider moving Dunn back to a tagging role on Priddis, who killed us last year. I know he doesn't do it much anymore, but he blanketed Jobe early in the Bombers game last year, and seems well suited to the bigger bodied one paced midfielders.

I haven't decided who to leave out though, as I would like to see Watts get a go on the larger Patersons Stadium.

I'm flabbergasted Petterd got dropped. He was our most dangerous forward until he got injured last year. He almost won the game for us against Sydney in Round 1.

If we win the next 3, then we will win some of that next 5. Confidence will grow in the team. Thursday's game is very important.

It is important for the team more than the individual,

Being a young side, I wouldn't be surprised if we dropped one of the next three and picked up one or two of the next, more difficult, five. Performances will be up and down, both from us, and our opponents.

BTW, St Kilda, Carlton and Essendon are all very beatable.

last night bailey spoke at the western demons dinner about the matchups on Lynch, Kennedy & Darling. No suprise Riv, Garland & Chip are the 3 that will go to them, he didnt specify actual match ups though. Also said that Martin would pcik up cox on natinui if they rested forward. Bailey said that if we can prevent their big men from marking the ball (ie make our spoils) then we back our smaller running types to beat them at ground level.

LeCras is a chance to play apparently, according to Dean Bailey at training on Wednesday.

Garland will have to go to Darling then, leaving Bartram to LeCras if he plays...

I think Le Cras is still out injured.

I believe our team will be something like:

B: Bartram Frawley Garland

HB: Bail Rivers Grimes

C: Morton Maloney Davey

HF: Bennell Green Sylvia

F: Wonna Jurrah Watts

R: Jamar Trengove Gysberts

I: Martin Tapscott Petterd

S: Jones

Out: Dunn In: Petterd

Close: Maric