WELCOME TO THE MELBOURNE FOOTBALL CLUB - BILLY STRETCH

e25

Gunstan, the Hill brothers, Lewis Taylor, Jake Neade, Jack Martin, Lachie Whitfield, Ballantyne, Zorko, Michael Walters, Kane Turner all seem to be doing okay and I am sure there are many others out there on AFL lists

Some of these have the height and or weight advantage

Ballantyne at 174 is still a solid 79/80 kgs Gunstan at 191 has better height.

Of the rest you have mentioned they are not dissimilar in height and weight to Stretch and it will be interesting to see if he can match for pace the rest of those who you have mentioned.

Of the rest you have mentioned they are not dissimilar in height and weight to Stretch and it will be interesting to see if he can match for pace the rest of those who you have mentioned.

Lewis Jetta and Isaac Smith have both played in and won grand finals with bodies not dissimilar to what Billy will have at the same age.

and how much did Ballantyne weigh when he was 17 you peanut

Some highlights of Billy playing for Glenelg:

http://madmondayshow.com/2014/10/22/billy-stretch-player-analysis-video/

Thanks for that.

He looks ok, something I can't put my finger on fully but he seems to not try to beat his opponent if he comes within a couple of metres goal side, he'll back off rather than back himself to outpace him.

When he gets a bit stronger and can slot them on the run from 50, along with his endurance and pace, Stretch will become a real weapon. I'd expect to see him as much as we saw Salem in his first year - they both seem to have that willingness to do the team thing. For a third round pick up, Billy could be the steal of the draft! We've done alright out of father/son!

• 1 month later...

Knightmare on Billy Stretch ~

Billy Stretch (Melb – F/S – SA – Mid/Fwd)

Height: 182cm, Weight: 71kg, DOB: 8/09/1996

Recruited from: Glenelg

Draft range: 3rd round

Best position/role: Midfield – outside

Strengths:

Footskills – Stretch is an excellent user of the ball by foot and can find his targets over a variety of distances. What has also impressed me is his execution by foot while under pressure, showing that he can at times while getting tackles or when under pressure he can at times lace out hit his targets. With ball in hand Stretch makes good decisions quickly and has the vision to find good targets long up the field.

Pace and endurance – Stretch has excellent straight-line speed and an excellent line breaker, breaking the lines frequently each game. He also has excellent endurance as someone who gives many of those high speed efforts in game but then also covers substantial ground over the court of a game.

Evasiveness – Stretch is not so much someone who will sidestep guys but he uses his pace to run around opposition players and avoid tackles routinely.

Outside game – Stretch has the right mix of footskills, pace and endurance on the outside to experience success. On the outside he runs to the right positions and works hard to get into good positions to link up as well as be involved in running chains forward.

Versatility – Stretch while best suited on a wing does have the ability to play on a forward flank and given his pace and footskills could also likely as required play of a back flank.

Ready to play – Stretch while light bodied was one of SA’s best through the U18 Championships. At SANFL League level he played some excellent football and produced some excellent numbers. At both levels he has shown an excellent ability to accumulate the footy, use it well and at SANFL League level he has shown that he can still do what he does against stronger bodies and have a strong impact on games. Given his performance and already proven ability against more mature bodies Stretch light bodied as he is, is capable of playing at AFL level from season one.

Weaknesses:

Marking ability – I have found Stretch at times with his marks to be very two and three grab. He generally takes his marks but he just needs to become cleaner and more one grab. What I do like with his work overhead is his ability to read the flight and read the drop of the ball to consistently get to the right places to take the mark.

Inside game – Stretch while not a soft outside player and at times capable of winning his own ball is likely not going to become an inside player. He is a smallish, light body and his contested ball numbers are mild at best. He is not a particularly strong or aggressive tackler, not tackling all that often and is not someone who can forcefully win his own ball. What he can do is use his smarts to opportunistically be in the right place to get the ball but that is about the extent of his inside game.

Light body – At this stage Stretch only weighs 71kg and has a thin frame that suggests he will likely always remain relatively on the light side and remain an outside player.

What I expect will improve:

With Stretch I anticipate mostly natural and continued improvement of his outside game. I expect he puts on some weight but I still expect he remains a light bodied but very good and productive outside player.

Who he can become?

I see Billy Stretch developing into a lower level Bradley Hill as that outside type with elite endurance, pace, a high level skillset but then also the excellent numbers, just perhaps without the same level of flash and hurt-factor.

When will he be ready to play?

Stretch given his proven ability to play well at SANFL League level has the ability to play from season one.

How to best utilise him?

Stretch is best utilised on a wing.

Interpretation of his numbers:

Stretch’s numbers and more specifically his uncontested ball numbers have been excellent both through the U18 Championships as one of SA’s leading disposal getters, and using it well but then also at SANFL League level also showing that he can find the uncontested footy to a high level and use it well and take plenty of uncontested marks around the ground. Given this Stretch has the ability to play from season one and develop into a quality, high production outside midfielder.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
19 minutes ago, Italian Stallion said:

Gerard Healy just said that Stretch needs a shoulder operation does anyone know anything about this?

I thinks that's Billy Smedts from Geelong.

• Like 12

12 hours ago, Clint Bizkit said:

Early contender for worst post of the year.

I think you're being unfair. Italian Stallion just misheard something and then sought more information about what he thought he'd heard. The worst post of the year will be an ill-informed opinion. I'm sure we'll have plenty of those during the year ahead.

5 minutes ago, La Dee-vina Comedia said:

I think you're being unfair. Italian Stallion just misheard something and then sought more information about what he thought he'd heard. The worst post of the year will be an ill-informed opinion. I'm sure we'll have plenty of those during the year ahead.

I think you are being too kind. I would take Italian Stallions hearing over Gerard Healy's reporting any day of the week. Smarten up Gerard and get the names right, you goose.

• Like 2