The Forward Line

beelzebub

I hate it how people talk about howe as if they know who he is. 48 hours ago, people had no idea who he was..now they're talking about his chances of lining up in the dee's jumper next year.

On another note, I think Tapscott is our most promising forward youngster coming through. But we just have so many forwards. I think people also need to question whether Watts should be in the team. Last season he was played purely because he was a number 1 pick, now that we have a forward set up of:

HF: Green Dunn Tapscott/Bate/Bennell/Howe

FF: Petterd Jurrah Wonaeamirri

There is no reason to suggest Watts should play if we are fully fit. If we are all honest with ourselves, Watts hasn't shown anything more than what an average player would show given the great playing minutes he has had thus far. now with a full line-up I dont think he should be there.

Edited by Freak

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I hate it how people talk about howe as if they know who he is. 48 hours ago, people had no idea who he was..now they're talking about his chances of lining up in the dee's jumper next year.

On another note, I think Tapscott is our most promising forward youngster coming through. But we just have so many forwards. I think people also need to question whether Watts should be in the team. Last season he was played purely because he was a number 1 pick, now that we have a forward set up of:

There is no reason to suggest Watts should play if we are fully fit. If we are all honest with ourselves, Watts hasn't shown anything more than what an average player would show given the great playing minutes he has had thus far. now with a full line-up I dont think he should be there.

I think Watts is played to get the experience into him while his body matures rather than letting him wallow in the VFL until his body is ready to handle the role he will eventually play. If you left him at Casey to mature, then you would have to wait for him to adjust to the pace of AFL once you did play him. By playing him over the past 2 years when he was underdeveloped, he's gotten used to the pace of the game and will only get better as his body gets stronger.

IMO I'd rather have Watts in the side than Bate.

I would agree about Watts if there was a better option, there isn't. Bate at his best, sure, but it's been a while...

You suggest Tapscott and Howe instead of Watts when they haven't played a game? How does that work? Bennell's bad games are worse than Watts'.

Whenever JW puts the ball inside 50, it results in a shot on goal, think it's close to 100%. So you're selling his value a bit short.

You are right on the money "Freak".

I hate to get a love/ hate fest going on Watts again however I agree he has shown nothing yet to convince me he is more than an Average player.

I hope like hell he is!

2011 will in my opinion decide if he is more than average.

I would agree about Watts if there was a better option, there isn't. Bate at his best, sure, but it's been a while...

You suggest Tapscott and Howe instead of Watts when they haven't played a game? How does that work? Bennell's bad games are worse than Watts'.

Whenever JW puts the ball inside 50, it results in a shot on goal, think it's close to 100%. So you're selling his value a bit short.

I am not a Bennell fan and you are right he has good games then poor games however he has shown real talent a few times more than Watts.

I struggle to remember Watts good games, the only one I can remember was vs Port in Darwin. The rest are average!

Freak, firstly I find the anti-Watts crowd to be hilarious. This group consists of those who want to make a bold statement to get attention, and also those who just don't know footy.

Secondly, that forward set up is awful. Just awful. There's so much wrong with it. With reduced rotations, you suggest that we are now going to play a high running game that requires zero key position forwards.

Awful.

He may be in for a game or two, but not as a regular. While it is true he is a couple of years older that the other three recruits, I don't rate the strength of the South Tassie competition as highly as the VFL. Howe will start out at Casey, and play most of his games there in 2011 unless we have some dire injuries.

Remember we have a bunch of young ruck hopefuls who should get time in the senior forward line next year to see what they are made of and to let them see what the required standard is. At the moment, would you rate Howe ahead of Dunn? Ahead of Bate? And they may not make it as a regulars in 2011.

One is not sure how your rating of the 'South Tassie competition' is relevant to a player recruited after a season with Hobart which was in its second year in the Tasmanian State League.

You are right on the money "Freak".

I hate to get a love/ hate fest going on Watts again however I agree he has shown nothing yet to convince me he is more than an Average player.

I hope like hell he is!

2011 will in my opinion decide if he is more than average.

???

I am not a Bennell fan and you are right he has good games then poor games however he has shown real talent a few times more than Watts.

I struggle to remember Watts good games, the only one I can remember was vs Port in Darwin. The rest are average!

???

Please stop.

Shown nothing at all? Please.

Very average posts there.

I think there are 2 types of supporters:

- those that recognize the true value of Jack Watts to the team & the qualities that he possesses.

- as AoB said, those that just don't know football.

Ahhh ... Needed a laugh for mon morning . Thanks for the giggles from the anti-Watts brigade. If he was a selfish kid he might have kicked a few more himself but then probably wouldn't get the match time. If at the end of 2011 he's not lighting a few fires then maybe some cause for concern but I doubt that.

I agree with those that think of the noobies Howe might get a gig first. I'll acede to other's thinking for the moment and offer up a Howe Green Petterd line up at the sharp end. Possibly Sylvia Watts and Jurrah at half forward line.

Be interesting to see how the preseason evolves and who puts their hand up.

Casey ought to go ok next year you'd have to think ;)

All this talk about talls, i think we are still short some genuine crumbing options who can put pressure on opposition coming out of defence.

Aussie is about all we have , and he is injury prone and not that quick.

I am hoping we can pluck a couple in the Rookie/PSD draft

Petterd is our best at "frontal pressure" a la Davey. Aussie may be the crumbing player. I still hope that Maric comes good. He was a freak in the junior comp but will he make it in the AFL?

Petterd is our best at "frontal pressure" a la Davey. Aussie may be the crumbing player. I still hope that Maric comes good. He was a freak in the junior comp but will he make it in the AFL?

Would love to be proven wrong this year, but I haven't seen anything to like about Maric so far. He was supposed to be a an elite kick and a goal shark but have not even seen a sniff in that dept so far.

Like I said love to be proven wrong

I'm more worried about Aussie That forward pocket will be needed to rest midfielders and have players that can pinch hit in the midfield. You will see Davey, Trengove, Sylvia and co resting in the forward pocket, I see players like Maric, Tapscott, Jetta, Bennell that will be able to spend time in the midfield geting ahead of Aussie unless he can get fitter.

Edited by drdrake

I think there are 2 types of supporters:

- those that recognize the true value of Jack Watts to the team & the qualities that he possesses.

- as AoB said, those that just don't know football.

Thanks for your expect opinion E25.

We all have opinions just because they vary to yours does not mean they are necessarily wrong.

Once again thank you for being the self appointed oracle of player ability on demonland.

Would love to be proven wrong this year, but I haven't seen anything to like about Maric so far. He was supposed to be a an elite kick and a goal shark but have not even seen a sniff in that dept so far.

Like I said love to be proven wrong

I agree with you I keep hoping he will turn the corner

however I have seen him at Casey a few times and as yet have not seen him dominate a game there.

I would not have put him in the top 5 players in the games I have seen.

Edited by old dee

Can you two give it a rest.

OD - Watts will be fine.

E25 - Stop badgering the witness.

And there is no oracle on DLand.

There is the anti-oracle however...

You are right rpfc I will shut up and I hope you are right, I really do.

All I want is to win lots of games and if that means I have to say he is great so be it.

I cannot wait to say it!

Hopefully Watts will complete his first full preseason after being injured last year and still at school the one before that. This year I thought he came on really well and did a lot of things that a 6' 5" kid has no right to be able to do. He will be very good

As for Maric in those couple of games he played in his first year he showed signs of having that thing that all good footballers crave - time. He was rarely hurried when he had the ball and made decent decisions even if his disposal didn't live up to the hype

Here's hoping he can pull it together

The sixty four dollar question is and has been for a long while who stands the square. Its really our missiing link of a forward attack. No one has really nailed it. Thats not just my thoughts but must surely be the reasoning behind th eclubs motive to seek a solution. Weve rolled the dice big time this draft .

Cook and Howe seem the obvious directions. But Cooks forte is apparently mor ethe lead up variety. Watts has been played al lover but for mine thats just part of his education. Howe seems a natural as a FF but maybe its as a pocket thief that will see him shine a la Robbo style.

I really dont see why Watts cant stand the square but allow the whole structure fluidity to adjust to the game.

Id probably agrre it might not be his full time home, now or ever. But possibly become his prime role. Something to grow into. A good and injury free preseason ought to see him more suited to the role and become more at home with it as time spent there increases.

The sixty four dollar question is and has been for a long while who stands the square. Its really our missiing link of a forward attack. No one has really nailed it. Thats not just my thoughts but must surely be the reasoning behind th eclubs motive to seek a solution. Weve rolled the dice big time this draft .

Cook and Howe seem the obvious directions. But Cooks forte is apparently mor ethe lead up variety. Watts has been played al lover but for mine thats just part of his education. Howe seems a natural as a FF but maybe its as a pocket thief that will see him shine a la Robbo style.

I really dont see why Watts cant stand the square but allow the whole structure fluidity to adjust to the game.

Id probably agrre it might not be his full time home, now or ever. But possibly become his prime role. Something to grow into. A good and injury free preseason ought to see him more suited to the role and become more at home with it as time spent there increases.

Maybe, but he is 18.

I would like to see what they can do with a talented tall forward, although not as talented as our other one, and try and make him a FP/FF & back-up ruck.

But that is ages away...

Edited by rpfc

Maybe, but he is 18.

I would like to see what they can do with a talented tall forward, although not as talented as our other one, and try and make him a FP/FF & back-up ruck.

But that is ages away...

Quite possibly. There is nothing in concrete at all and we all know that and thats for the main why there is no obvious answer. My words were somewhat directed to any whos thinking is that Watts CANT play the square.

A goodly type... tall athletic menacing with a decent leap might well provide fodder for a switchhit role. He is young but i sense the club wont be closetting him for that long.

we now have a very decent grab bag of forwards. Be very interesting to see how ( npi) it all pans out :)