Lucas Cook

e25

Love how everyone bags BP for his choice of Lucas Cook at 12, but then refuse to acknowledge/(forget?) that he snared Howe and Tommy Mc with picks 33 and 53 respectively in the same draft

Prendergast was an unmitigated disaster.

You could get two picks right in 4 drafts.

• Like 4

we picked up a footballer maybe 10 rungs too early in the draft

Because, as we all knew, we were crying out for a KPF - or KPF's. He was the only left at that stage of the draft.

No accident that one of the first things Neeld and co. did was to move mountains to get Mitch Clark - and follow it up with Dawes and Hogan. Wtih Cook, we were addressing a (desperate) need.

It didn't come off - in the short term at least.

On the other hand, could be interesting to revisit this thread in a few years.

Cook is just another one of the mentally soft crew that wasn't cut out for the rigours of AFL.

He joins Jurrah, Morton and Gysberts, a lazy, soft bunch of non-workers who malingered on our list.

What a load of crap.....Just another keyboard hero bagging past players....All were very skilled player who did not ,for what ever reason fit into to Neelds big...strong style of game plan

Jurrah....had more problems than Ben Hur.....(Not ours)

Morton played some very good games under Baily

Gysberts.....just too immature and skinny....(has a few tickets on himself) and the wrong attitude..

Cook.....Too skinny as his body has not matured yet...but still had good skills

Exactly what I am saying w00dy. It amazes me how ppl get very personal about a player not making it at AFL level. Cook did not ask to be drafted by the MFC. He just threw his hat in the draft in the hope he could make it. You cant blame a player for wanting to play AFL. If he and Jace Bode were recruited they were seen as having potential.

Dont get angry at Cook for not making it. He gave it a go.

• Like 3

FCS leave the poor kid alone

Wasn't his fault BP put the no.12 noose around his neck

He must be devastated, i feel sorry for him

Haven't we got better things to discuss than kicking around this kid's carcass?

I agree - it is time to move on. FCS it was a selection that didn't work out, probably a very bad selection, but we surely have had enough positives this off season recruiting wise to get excited about something.

So many here just want to dwell on past mistakes.

• Like 1

It that was his 'highlights' video back in 2010 what on earth were the selectors looking at?

He didn't take contested marks, was slow and constantly fumbled.

Pick 12? What on earth were they thinking.

huh, & who was rumored to be interested in him in that draft, Carlton...

...where did Prendergast end up?

....where did Riley end up after the Kreuzer cup?

.... who kicked off the tank pillow talk on the couch? ex Dee now blue, who just somehow managed to keep on the list? ...and now it seems is the spokesman for the cardBoard kings... how can someone so near the chop from the list, tell they're captain to step down, publicly?

a real public speaker is brock

all our bad luck seems to come from pricefixing park.

• Like 1

I remember the talk leading up to the 2010 draft - everyone knew the Dee's we were after a KPF, and hoping like hell that Tom Lynch would last to pick 12. Unfortunately, he got picked up by Gold Coast at pick 11. Lucas Cook was considered at the time the next best option...

I remember the talk leading up to the 2010 draft - everyone knew the Dee's we were after a KPF, and hoping like hell that Tom Lynch would last to pick 12. Unfortunately, he got picked up by Gold Coast at pick 11. Lucas Cook was considered at the time the next best option...

I think that, even then, smart clubs were realising that an 18 year old KP player takes 5 years to come on.

You take them later, or on the RL, or you overlook them altogether and wait for them to mature outside the system.

The fact is - you can't solve all your problems through the draft and that is the sense I got from the club Pre-Neeld.

Joel MacDonald was the only experienced player recruited IIRC from the 4 years DB and CC were calling the shots. With Howe, Bail and Nicho being the only 'mature' age recruits (at 20).

Neeld and co. have had 2 off-seasons and have brought in Rodan, Byrnes, Sellar, Clark, Pedersen, and Dawes as experienced players with Magner (25), Couch (24), Terlich(22), Jones(25), and Clisby(22) as actual mature age players.

I have morphed this response into a larger point but I just feel that Cook, a thin KP prospect, at ND12 was the epitome of the thinking of the club Pre-Neeld.

Note: I agree that we should leave the kid alone, but that doesn't mean we can't critique his selection.

Edited by rpfc
  • Like 2

I think that, even then, smart clubs were realising that an 18 year old KP player takes 5 years to come on.

You take them later, or on the RL, or you overlook them altogether and wait for them to mature outside the system.

The fact is - you can't solve all your problems through the draft and that is the sense I got from the club Pre-Neeld.

Joel MacDonald was the only experienced player recruited IIRC from the 4 years DB and CC were calling the shots. With Howe, Bail and Nicho being the only 'mature' age recruits (at 20).

Neeld and co. have had 2 off-seasons and have brought in Rodan, Byrnes, Sellar, Clark, Pedersen, and Dawes as experienced players with Magner (25), Couch (24), Terlich(22), Jones(25), and Clisby(22) as actual mature age players.

I have morphed this response into a larger point but I just feel that Cook, a thin KP prospect, at ND12 was the epitome of the thinking of the club Pre-Neeld.

Note: I agree that we should leave the kid alone, but that doesn't mean we can't critique his selection.

100% correct

And John Meesen? Was he brought in during the Bailey years?

• Like 1

I'm glad you're so relaxed about throwing a first round draft pick down the toilet.

I dont sweat history I can't change.

I look and feel comfortable that I can see that the ruling junta are not going down the same path with project players.

Having said that we could all be sitting here in 18 months time and thinking - what the hell was Neeld and Co thinking with picking up mature age players - I dont judge over one year but if we were to - would you say the selection of 4 mature age footballers last year was a success ?

can someone shoot this thread and put it out of its misery !! pwwwweeeeease :)

• Like 1

Didn't realise he was only 21 and had only played two games previously (I don't know why, but I thought he played about 20 previously). In that case, you were correct when you said Joel Mac was the only "experienced" player recruited.

Robbie Campbell. Ex Hawthorn. Rookie'd in 2011.

I dont sweat history I can't change.

I look and feel comfortable that I can see that the ruling junta are not going down the same path with project players.

Having said that we could all be sitting here in 18 months time and thinking - what the hell was Neeld and Co thinking with picking up mature age players - I dont judge over one year but if we were to - would you say the selection of 4 mature age footballers last year was a success ?

The problem with the Cook selection was the players we overlooked in doing so.

It would be handy to have Atley in our squad or Darling or any other player that was capable of playing AFL football. I bear no grudge towards Cook it wasn't his fault, but someone that has as many flaws as he, should have thought more about putting their hand up in the first place. He simply wasn't equipped to compete at that level and surely in his heart he would have known that; it's not a secret how tough it is.