• IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Good Bruce Bad Bruce

Deemolition Man

178 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good

experienced?: YES;

mentor to the youngsters(?): PROBABLY

best 22(?): SHORT/MEDIUM TERM ONLY

leader(?): DEFINITELY NO (not the type of leadership I want to see on the field at any rate)

can we cover his loss?: SEAMLESSLY

Congratulations MFC for showing once again that the Club is bigger than the individual.

Disappointing on his part. This club gave him his chance. He is a 10-year player. Could/should have been a one club-life member man. That is his loss.

It's one thing to say he has to maximise his earning potential but it's one year in what will be a 12 year career (possibly 13). He has been on good money and in the end it was all about Cameron. If he was good enough he could have won a second year with us - that's where he cheapens himself in this walkout. I suspect McDonald's fate has figured heavily in his thinking, but that does not overcome the fact that he is now one of those journeyman types with mixed loyalties.

I for one will not miss those hot potato handpasses of his that put team mates under extreme pressure, and I won't miss his mis-kicks and mongrel punts, but we will miss his ability to nullify good opponents and win his own ball. He has been brave and taken some blows for us.

Clearly the football department saw more in him than many contributors to this forum. This is a short term loss for a side that lacks experience but I reckon by the second half of the year we'll have adapted, and won't be missing him.

Basically, I'm sorry he did not see loyalty to the club as worth more than one lousy year.

He's a professional footballer with a limited life span in the game. He did the right thing by himself and his family and nobody could ever begrudge him for that.

From Melbourne's point of view, it has its policies in place and it stuck to its principles. Nothing wrong with that either.

This was a case of an immovable object meeting an Irresistable force and it was in the best interests of both in those circumstances that they part ways.

Win for both.

End of story.

If we leave it retired for a year it would have got as many hard balls than if he was wearing it and playing.

Snap.

I'm disappointed that he has decided to walk away from the club and we get nothing for it. But it evidently shows the lack of passion he had for the club, so I'm happy for him to go elsewhere. I'm really looking forward to Beamer seeking him out on the field at his new team next year.

And it can only be a good thing for the club, more games into a few players that were on the fringe of selection a bit this year, like Morton, Gysberts, Strauss and Martin.

Dog act of the highest order !!! His football skills will be missed in the short term, Nothing else.

I am really pi$$ed we have been left with nothing and the way he has shat in the face of this great club. I can't wait until he lines up against us in 2011.

Don't forget to use the doggie door on the way out.

Cya lets see how many hard ball gets he will take when playing us next year ?

hope you do better then the other players that have left in the past couple of years.

think NOT

Hawthorn love the hard ball gets enjoy yourself softy

best thing for the club now all the dead wood is gone learn to walk the line boys

Edited by kallioota

Leaving doesn't worry me.

The manner in which Bruce had done it is more of an issue for me.

To leave it so long, I'm sure it must have been a hard decision, but he also must've had the naiive belief that the club would cave to his demands eventually.

It may be a case that the hawks (or someone else) came into the picture late, after trade week, offering what was previously not available to him.

Surely he didn't need to leave the decision until yesterday, though.

Either that, or he really doesn't care about the club all that much (which, honestly, I find hard to believe).

Not too disappointing at his going, , and we might not have be able to trade him at trade week, as he was so old.

Remember Gold Coast did not make a play for him, so what was he really worth?

Not much!

It is really not a great loss for us over the longer term (2-5 yrs), and good for him, maybe he will play in the finals?

I find it interesting that some people are saying Bruce (and Junior to a lesser extent) were squeezed out by the MFC.

They were not squeezed. Bruce was given a contract-He did not like it. Tell me how the MFC could guarantee Bruce automatic selection?? That is just selfish to ask in the first place.

Football is a tough contact sport-Not a desk job.

Cameron Bruce squeezed himself out by asking unreasnoable demands. I am very pleased the club did not bend. I think it shows to our list, and to those outside our club that from now on, to get a game at the MFC one has to work real hard for it.

Back in the old days of this club..If you made the seniors you got paid. Playing in the Reserves you did not get paid.

Those were the days we won Flags. Now i am not suggesting we do not pay our players, but they must be hungry to succeed.

Players will want to come to this club in years to come because i hope we reward excellence when it is achieved, and not overpay those who are above average, but not great.

Good thing.... Hate all his hand balling !!! and I only want someone who genuinly wants to play for "our mighty club"...this is not the first time Cameron has done this. Over you already Cameron...GO !!! :(

If I was Dean Bailey and Cameron Bruce asked me to guarantee his spot in the team, I would have laughed in his face. What a pathetic caveat for a sportsman to try to add to a contract. I'd be too embarrassed to even mention it if I were Bruce. "Oh, please Mr. Coach, play me even if I'm crap. My poor ego couldn't take it if I ever had to play with those peons in the VFL."

Leaving doesn't worry me.

The manner in which Bruce had done it is more of an issue for me.

To leave it so long, I'm sure it must have been a hard decision, but he also must've had the naiive belief that the club would cave to his demands eventually.

It may be a case that the hawks (or someone else) came into the picture late, after trade week, offering what was previously not available to him.

Surely he didn't need to leave the decision until yesterday, though.

Either that, or he really doesn't care about the club all that much (which, honestly, I find hard to believe).

The bottom line is this: Bruce did not figure in our long term plans, given that we're looking at Premierships from 2013 and beyond. At his age, and with the talent on our list, how could anyone be guaranteed a game every week. The club did the right thing.

this is s--t by the club

just lost one of two players over 27 who won a BnF 13 months ago, for absolutely nil

why? because they stuck to their guns. Pig-headed stubborness and idiocy if you ask me. Nathan Jones has just written he is "shattered" as "one of his best mates" is gone. What sort of culture is Bailey setting up down there? We have a galaxy of stars, who when their contracts are up will remember the way those before them were treated and I doubt they will feel like expressing much loyalty to the club. Generally our list management has been great but this is going too far and it's dangerous for the club culture IMO. This is not a clever Brock McLean trade this is just a senseless loss that will cost us a couple of wins next year, which may be the difference between finals or not. Stupid Bailey, stupid.

this is s--t by the club

just lost one of two players over 27 who won a BnF 13 months ago, for absolutely nil

why? because they stuck to their guns. Pig-headed stubborness and idiocy if you ask me. Nathan Jones has just written he is "shattered" as "one of his best mates" is gone. What sort of culture is Bailey setting up down there? We have a galaxy of stars, who when their contracts are up will remember the way those before them were treated and I doubt they will feel like expressing much loyalty to the club. Generally our list management has been great but this is going too far and it's dangerous for the club culture IMO. This is not a clever Brock McLean trade this is just a senseless loss that will cost us a couple of wins next year, which may be the difference between finals or not. Stupid Bailey, stupid.

Are you dead set? A contract has been on the table for months, he has known the terms. He is the one who has been sussing out other offers, and we have offered him what we feel is our best offer.

How were we to know he would up and leave for nothing? If he wanted to leave, most reasonable person would request a trade.

Im glad we stuck to our guns! You bend the rules once, you bend them every time. The culture we are creating is one which is ruthless, one in which if you do not want to play at the greatest football club in the world, you can head your own direction. Of course Nathan Jones is going to say that, most of the boys are mates. They spend countless hours together during every week. But ya see, Jonesy is a professional footballer. He will get over it, they can still be mates, they can still sip lattes. It was Bruces decision to not line up with one of his best mates next year. So be it.

The club were loyal, we offered him a contract. He didn't like the terms, or he didnt like the fact he isnt guaranteed of being best 22 and left. You tell me who the loyal one is?

It will cost us wins will it? I doubt it. He hasn't won us a game for a very long time.

If we were as mean and ruthless as some are making us out to be, we would have told him that he had until trade week to make up his mind, or we'd actively seek a trade for him.

We allowed him the luxury of leaving us high and dry a day before we start our pre season. How on earth are we possibly being accused of being in the wrong here?

A lot of this Bruce apologist stuff is so anal retentive. He had a reasonable offer. He refused it at the last minute thus giving the club the most hurt he could. He had a great personal career and took a lot of money from an impoverished club. But he played strictly B grade football. I can't imagine many genuine wanna be premiers keeping a player like him on their books for all these years. He was shown a lot of generosity. The episode of the last few years just reinforces the pathetic culture we have been subjected too. Players backed by their supporters who have performed well past their use by date kicking and screaming when they have to make way for new blood makes me sick.

Edited by america de cali

Credit to Bruce for not being bullied by the club. He clearly has the idea that he's got two seasons left so good luck to him in finding thatcontract. Great servant, good player. Thanks for the fish.

There are 22 players in the side at anyone time and 40+ on the list.

It is a credit to the club - not to Bruce - that they did not give in to the desires of one player, particularly on the grounds he he held out for.

One reason we have not won a premiership for nearly 50 years, is that there have been too many times when we've given to this or that, because of "good service to the club", "crowd pulling abilities", and a myriad of other reasons. This was particularly to over the last few years.

The Dees are on course, building a champion team, from the base up. Bruce could have played a part in that, if he had been willing to trust his own abilities to keep playing, one year at a time.

It is sad, it has ended in tears, but it was his choice - fr whatever reasons.