• IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Players who did live up to expectations (or better)

Whispering_Jack

Given the existence of the other thread, I thought we should go for one about players who did live up to expectations or better.

I thought I'd kick it off with the great Robert Flower who, when I first saw him in an under 19 practice match, was thin, scrawny and bespectacled and hardly a likely champion of the future. All I can say is "thank god for Robbie" because, without him there would have been little to cheer about for a decade and a half.

Given the existence of the other thread, I thought we should go for one about players who did live up to expectations or better.

I thought I'd kick it off with the great Robert Flower who, when I first saw him in an under 19 practice match, was thin, scrawny and bespectacled and hardly a likely champion of the future. All I can say is "thank god for Robbie" because, without him there would have been little to cheer about for a decade and a half.

What ever happened to his brother. Was it Tom? I can't remember much about him. Did he have injuries or did he play like Robbie looked like?

Jim Stynes a little bit...

Cameron Bruce did, but then the expectations raced ahead of him.

Colin Garland was already on some people's 'discard' list after a few nothing performances in his first year. Then one day he clicked and went ahead of what even the more favourable expected.

And finally, Jordan McMahon... nobody really thought he'd have a big impact on football. ;)

It wasn't so long ago everyone had written off Mark Jamar... who would ever have thought that he would make All Australian. Another is Jordie McKenzie, a bolt out of the blue making a big impression straight off the rookie list... unlike Davey, he was completely unheralded.

Aaron Davey. Changed the way football would be played forever. Not many people have done that.

Brett Lovett - Was an unsung hero in defence from 1987 to 1998

Reminded me of Bruce Doull in his no fuss & effective approach to the game

Was a bloody unlikely but effective footballer in some great Demon sides in the late 80's.

Edited by Old Man Rivers

Throughout our history LAURIE FOWLER was the best player we ever got from Richmond and he was as solid as any demon during that era

It is unfortunate that he is best remembered for putting John Nicholls on his backside but we demons know better

Norm Smith even doubted the ability of STAN ALVES to make it and he did better than anyone expected through hard work and a never quit attitude

GARY HARDEMAN'S first few years was average at best but his improvement was amazing and was one of the first picked in any state side in his own centre half back position

JUM STYNES is probably the best example of the least expectation of any footballer in any club

This year i would pick MARK JAMAR is the most impressive improvement

gee so many..

Dyson, I dont remember him being the best but was certainly one of the biggest kicks going around.

Robbie Flower, skinny kid with glasses...

Sean Wight/Jimmy - loved them both

Anthony Ingerson - was a shocker when he first came over, finished his career in dominating form.

Brian Wilson...Got asked by my teacher when he won the brownlow whether I was going to take the 2 off my jumper...I laughed in his face :)

Brett Lovett

Gary Lyon - champion for 1 reason, he could win the game off his own bag...and did so a few times for us in the 90's.

Woey - way above expectations

Even Norm Smith - who would have expected when he joined us so long ago, nothing special from what I remember when they took him on.

Jamar - deserves it.

to name only a few...I'm sure I'll think of more later.

David Neitz. For what he achieved out of the game, after some early acknowledgment of his talent he lived up to expectation.

Neita had a fantastic career but I always expected him to become a great at the club. This is because I first came across him as a tall, young 15 year old from Parkmoor trying out for a schoolboy squad of which a neighbour's son was also became a member. He was in Melbourne's then metropolitan zone so I followed his fortunes up through the ranks. Even then, he had the makings of a potentially dominant key position player of the absolute highest order, whether forward or down back.

At just 18 years of age, he made his debut for MFC in round 1, 1993 and six games into his career, David booted six goals at FF in a Friday night game against Richmond (note his age compared to the developing talls at the club today).

If that was the benchmark for David Neitz and one's expectations of him, I would have to say that, at the very best, he only equalled those that I had of him when he was 18 years old although he did go on to be AA twice, the first time as a magnificent CHB who had great duels with a young Wayne Carey.

My theory as to why he never made it to the absolute superstar status that I expected was that he had enormous responsibility thrust on his shoulders as, one by one, many of his contemporaries at the club who held down key positions (or were capable of doing so) were hit by injuries or left for other reasons. In the mid 90s we lost the likes of Lyon (back). Schwarz (knees x 3, yes I know he only had 2 knees), Jakovich (back), Prymke (back) and Pyke (off field indiscipline). Suddenly, Neita was our only fit KP (and even he was out for a short while with a broken jaw).

He was shunted around the ground like a pinball to cover various deficiencies and, though there was a fairly strong case for him as a CHB, he ended up as a FF where he did make AA again. There was a long debate about whether Neita should play forward or back with the former winning out and in the end he became physically better suited as a forward. However, in the absence of those injuries that curtailed the careers of those mentioned above, he might well have achieved far more greatness on an individual and a team level and would have been a far better leader at the club.

So, for those reasons I can't really say that IMO he fits into this category.

Throughout our history LAURIE FOWLER was the best player we ever got from Richmond and he was as solid as any demon during that era

It is unfortunate that he is best remembered for putting John Nicholls on his backside but we demons know better

Norm Smith even doubted the ability of STAN ALVES to make it and he did better than anyone expected through hard work and a never quit attitude

GARY HARDEMAN'S first few years was average at best but his improvement was amazing and was one of the first picked in any state side in his own centre half back position

JUM STYNES is probably the best example of the least expectation of any footballer in any club

This year i would pick MARK JAMAR is the most impressive improvement

Good post Swamp. I was going to write the same thing.

Good post Swamp.

I echo the sentiments re: Swampfox's post. I immediately thought of our prez, big Jim.

Re: Duursma in the other thread, I was a tad harsh in hindsight. I admired him for what he contributed in the time he was at the club.