Nathan Jones

melbournefc18

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

His has an outstanding yr why has he been dropped?

just think it is the make up of the team-but by gee he is STIFF.

with two mids in...youd have to suppose one would have to go out. Short straw stuff

There's a bit more in this.

It looks to me like the team is being introduced to a new way of doing things, to say to all that no ones positions are automatic selection, & that players returning from injury will have a hitout @ Casey to ease back into form.

Those who have recently come back through VFL. James McDonald. Jack Trengove. Cale Morton. Matthew Bate. Col Sylvia. Jared Rivers.

I expect this trend will continue next season and beyond.

He could hardly walk after the game, too. Played every game this year, but with our depth in the midfield, and with the pace of the Richmond mids, I'm not surprised to see him miss. I hate to say it, but in a way I'm glad it's him and not someone else. Out of our entire team, I'd say Jonesy is one of those with the least upside.

I like Jones. However anyone who could not see this coming is kidding themselves. He gives his all but he has serious deficiencies to his game. As we improve as a club players who have limitations will be pushed to the side. This is part of us becoming a better side. It will not be the last we see of him and if DB is the teaching coach he says he will have been sent back to work on the facets of his game that need work, and there are a few. Hopefully this makes him the type of player some of you already think he is and I hope he may one day become.

just think it is the make up of the team-but by gee he is STIFF.

Certainly is. He had 25 possessions against Brisbane = - the same number as Jurrah, Bennell, and Wonnaeamirri combined! You can hardly say that Jones gets a lot of cheap easy kicks. Looks like Bailey wants more pace in the team.

Maric was also stiff to go out, and we now have a reserves team with Morton, Bate, Jones, and Warnock - 4 guys who were probably in our top 22 at the start of the year.

Things will only get tougher next year when Tapscott, Blease, Grimes, and Gysberts are pushing for places.

I like Jones. However anyone who could not see this coming is kidding themselves. He gives his all but he has serious deficiencies to his game. As we improve as a club players who have limitations will be pushed to the side. This is part of us becoming a better side. It will not be the last we see of him and if DB is the teaching coach he says he will have been sent back to work on the facets of his game that need work, and there are a few. Hopefully this makes him the type of player some of you already think he is and I hope he may one day become.

I have a massive soft spot for Jones. He tries his heart out and nothing gets me going more than Jonesy slotting one from outside 50.

However he makes PLENTY of mistakes, over and over again. He is a class below the rest of the guys in our team this week.

I have a massive soft spot for Jones. He tries his heart out and nothing gets me going more than Jonesy slotting one from outside 50.

However he makes PLENTY of mistakes, over and over again. He is a class below the rest of the guys in our team this week.

Probably said it best here. Would suggest the majority would admit to the same. We cannot play all of Junior, Moloney, McKenzie & Jones and I will keep saying this. Jones is still great value to the team but to say he has been 'outstanding' is just not right, he has been good.

If I were Jones I would be wanting Junior to retire at the end of this year.

A bit surprised really that Moloney was not bought back through Casey as have JT & Junior amongst others, maybe the cork is well and his fitness is still ok & of course is pretty important.

The Morton omission IMO was another obvious choice. Still needs to learn a bit.

At the end of the day we bring back Beamer and Trengove.

I'm pretty happy with that.

I hope we win on Sunday, what a week it has been.

Wasn't he sore after last weeks game? I think he said he was fine, but maybe he pulled up a bit sore during the week.

He admitted after the game in the interview that he had seized up after a contest on the boundary line at the final siren. Said he had never felt like that before. Couldn't move. I wonder if this may have had some effect on him being left out of the 22.

I have really mixed feelings about our selections of late.

Imo, Bate, Warnock, Morton and Jones are all in our best 18 players. But then you look at the team sheet, and its hard to find someone to drop.

I think there are inferior players to Morton and Jones playing on Sunday, but it is extremely relevant that these players have found their niche and are playing an important team role.

- Wona and Bennel provide forward pressure

- Bartram defensive back pocket

- Dunn defensive half forward (play on Newman or Deledio?)

- Dunn defensive half forward (play on Newman or Deledio?)

firstly, he practically won us the match last week, secondly who do you think he will match up on, as i feel this is the most important match up of the day.

jones is partially dropped as a recovery week, but also i think because really there is no one who needs that really hard tag from richmond n their midfield, rather have him 120% for mitchell or hodge next week.

Been going in really hard lately and has had a great year..

me thinks it may just be a rest - him not playing for casey might be a clue.

Did we notice B.Miller not playing for either the Dees OR Casey - now that Bleasme has moved up to the seniors??

Great move by the Dees -stick him in as a 3rd emergency where he cant disappoint anyone- but to the opposition (and for trade-bait reasons) he's technically 'just outside our best 22'..

Nice.

Jones is stiff, but going forward these are the hard decisions we will frequently have to make. Gives him more chances to go surfing and update his twitter account I guess. Could we see in a year or so these sort of players being placed up for trade for a particular deficiency we may need to fill, ie. theyre still young and an attractive proposition for other sides?

Exactly. I sometimes wonder what supporters watch when they go to a game. It was a pretty obvious omission. Jones is a battler. He's an honest toiler that gives his all, but he lacks class. There's a reason why he piggy backs four opponents each week on his way to 'holding the ball'.

His omission should be great news to supporters because it's synonymous with us getting better. We want to have players on the periphery that would get games at most other sides.

To include Moloney and Trengove a midfielder had to make way. If it wasn't Jones then who would people omit ? Bail provides important pace and run. I prefer what he brings to the side over Jones. It would seem the selectors do too.

Jones is unlucky to be dropped after playing a good game last week but I thought he was on the chopping block a few weeks back when he played some average games against Saints & Bombers. Bailey needed to drop another midfielder this week and Jones cramping after the Lions game was the half an excuse he was looking for. Jurrah was lucky to survive but Bailey probably figures he is 1 week closer to busting the game wide open.

Jonesy wasn't dropped,just rested.He pulled up very stiff and sore and had he played this week,he would've been the first mid to tire,so the bottom line is we need fresh legs after an interstate trip and Moloney and JT come in.

Jonesy will rest up and he'll be ready to launch into the Hawks,if we don't cop an injury this week,someone else may be rested.

Nothing sinister,just great management.

Guest watts04

We cannot play all of Junior, Moloney, McKenzie & Jones and I will keep saying this.

One paced, i'm a believer that Jones and Moloney will struggle going forward

Jones is very unlucky to be dropped, he gives his all, and throws himslef at the ball harder then anyone I have ever seen. If every player on our list threw themselves at it like he does, we would be in a great place!