Rivers ready to fire

Demonland

Yes i'm on record about having serious misgivings re Rivers but just in case he should turn back the clock and indeed come out afresh and firing then it will definitely add a dimension to an

already fine backline possibly allowing Grimes some largesse to impose further upfield during play. Can't allowmyself anymore enthusiasm than that though, too many false dawns !!!

Edited by belzebub59

"I'm 25 and in the top 11 oldest guys at the club, so it shows how young our list is," Rivers said.

says a lot about us in just one sentence. Good luck Jared ....strange from me I know...but hey.. you're a Dee...and go DEES !!

says a lot about us in just one sentence. Good luck Jared ....strange from me I know...but hey.. you're a Dee...and go DEES !!

Very strange. You had him as an outcast back in November/Dec. After learning of Joel Mac's inclusion. You pretty much had written him off as finished.

See what a season of Summer does to you....bit of Vitamin D always helps the eye sight. ;)

Very strange. You had him as an outcast back in November/Dec. After learning of Joel Mac's inclusion. You pretty much had written him off as finished.

See what a season of Summer does to you....bit of Vitamin D always helps the eye sight. ;)

As far as im concerned he still has it to do. Im just taking a glass half full approach at the moment. Has he played like his RSA year since ?? No !! will he ?? I hope so. Have always said that. what Ive qualified it with is he is over rated based upon his efforts of recent years. His "promise" was of an outstanding player ( defender ) one stellar year does not a star make ( in actuality )

My concern has always been with his injuries. A good pre-season is really very encouraging and I sincerely hope this continues into the season proper and he can regain his former pro-ess.

Should he falter there are any of a number of players that will nudge him aside and that will be his lot.

Im not convinced..but as hopeful as any other Dee supporter that he can contribute...if not him ...someone else as I really dont care who it is..its a team thing for me.

i can still wish him well..and be qualified by his past form. My acknowledgement of his quote serves really to show just how young we ( MFC ) are..as he said.

he reminds me of a startling good racehorse...full of ability and potential...but constantly curtailed by form. Good job they dont shoot footy players !

Jaded still running her Riv's injury free tally?

It seems it's no longer necessary, and thank goodness for that.

Might start a Garland one, to help him along :P

Anyone who says there isn't room for Rivers is kidding themselves. Footy hasn't changed THAT much.

Spot on.

A good player is a good player regardless of the way footy is played. Rivers, injury free and back to his old form is easily in our top 18 and makes us a much better team.

MFC Official site article - Rivers ready to fire

afl.com.au article - Injury-free Rivers ready to fire

Interesting that the it's the same article with a slightly different title. Guess the MFC doesn't like the word injury.

old man river has retruned just watch out a really big year coming up old man river has retruned just watch out a really big year coming up

• 3 weeks later...

How has Rivers been going in the pre-season?

Haven't been able to watch any games.

I was very impressed with him on numerous occasions at the Essendon match and the intra-club.

This coming from someone who thinks of Rivers as a poor man's Tom Harley.

Looks set for a good year.

This coming from someone who thinks of Rivers as a poor man's Tom Harley.

I'm a true River's fan and believe once he's surrounded by other competant players and our midfield helps restrict the flow to our backline he'll come into his own. Remember this year we'll have Frawley, Warnock, Garland or Martin down back. That will allow River's the 4th forward. It should free him up to help the others out when they are one on one against big forwards. I see this as his major strength. He knows where the ball's going and he's not afraid to meet it head on. It'll just require a midfielder to check River's man and we're away. I'm expecting Rivers to first silence his critics and then shove a footy through their computer screens.

I'm a true River's fan and believe once he's surrounded by other competant players and our midfield helps restrict the flow to our backline he'll come into his own. Remember this year we'll have Frawley, Warnock, Garland or Martin down back. That will allow River's the 4th forward. It should free him up to help the others out when they are one on one against big forwards. I see this as his major strength. He knows where the ball's going and he's not afraid to meet it head on. It'll just require a midfielder to check River's man and we're away. I'm expecting Rivers to first silence his critics and then shove a footy through their computer screens.

Hhhmmmm and yet he is not listed in your favourite players... :P

Rivers was brilliant earning the Rising Star. Injuries obviously set him a long way back. His pace and lack of run out of defence are the only concern's for mine. He is one of the best readers of play in the game. I am really hoping to see big few years from him.

Hhhmmmm and yet he is not listed in your favourite players... :P

Haha good pick up. Roost, it's a bit of a worry that one of your favourite players is an uncapped Port Adelaide player!

As for Rivers, without injuries in the team I'm not sure I'd have him in - that's just me though. I can see his value and see no reason why he can't get back into the best 18/22 in my view.