Mitch Thorp nominates for ND

Redleg

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

all this means is that we haven't committed to taking him in the PSD at this stage I would think...

Forget the PSD he won't get there. Someone will take him in the ND. Maybe us, maybe not. Some clubs have some very late picks in the ND.

Interesting.

I guess it tells us that MFC have not committed to him, but little else.

inversely we are keeping options open..and fluid

Forget the PSD he won't get there. Someone will take him in the ND. Maybe us, maybe not. Some clubs have some very late picks in the ND.

We need to consider that Hawthorn said he was put up for trade with no takers they then delisted him in contract. I would not be so sure he will go in the ND but you would think we would have a better insight into his frame of mind and his physical health than other clubs so would be well placed to assess whether he is worth the punt at 50 if available..

Would we not consider him at 34? Should still be around by then. Former number 6 draft pick, has spent 3 years developing at Hawthorn and played only 2 games. Didn't step enough to a level that could see him overtake Franklin or Roughy which could be a worry, but, put in a team where he is the main man and who knows, he might just blossom.

I'm just really, really nervous about putting all our faith in to one of these KPF kids that could potentially go 1st round. At this stage, Butcher is the standout, but I'm just not sure how outstanding that is. Far, far bigger risk than Watts was last year. In 3 years, he (Butcher, etc) may be a star, but he may not, Thorp could be a star in 2010, but then again, he may not be either.

Getting the obvious at 1 & 2, Vardy at 11, Thorp at 34, and Liam Patrick at 50. At 18, see who is left out of the 3rd tier players (1st tier obviously the top 2, 2nd tier would be Moriarto, Martin).

PSD looks like it may be McDonald. Can't hurt having a guy his age/maturity level on our list. As the Herald Sun reported about this years draft for Melbourne, we are severely lacking players around that age group.

keep in mind we cant get everyone we want. its best fit

He nominated for the ND?!

You know what this means - he doesn't want to play for us.

He has hurt us emotionally and I would be livid if we picked him up.

Don't read too much into it.

How many picks do you think clubs will have in the PSD? Probably 1 or not at all in a lot of cases.

So if he is lucky - 1 chance in 16 of being picked up.

He has far more chance of being picked up in the ND, and can still be picked up PSD.

....and if he has heard that we have committed to someone else for the PSD ???

If he's still three at 50 he's worth the pick. At 34, who knows?

No at 34. Hawthorn delisted a player who's only claim to fame is being a tall picked at no. 6 in the draft. Since then both his body and mind have let him and his teammates down. Personally I'm not that into to picking big headed rejects from clubs like Hawthorn. If he's training with us and we're not commiting to him I'll take that as a pretty clear sign of where he sits in the draft order and it's not 34. Is it 50, not if Liam Patrick is still there, I'd much prefer to roll the dice on Jurrah's cousin, but that's just me.

Edited by Roost It

He nominated for the ND?!

You know what this means - he doesn't want to play for us.

He has hurt us emotionally and I would be livid if we picked him up.

I never wanted the bastard anyway! :lol:

If we were keen on him, we would have told him to nominate for the PSD, as it is, it seems that both us and Thorp want to keep their options open.

would the club have said to him to nominate for the ND?

Yes if they want someone else in the PSD and believe that they still could take him at 50 with their last pick, or alternatively don't want him at all. If he keeps training with us this next week that could be an indication.

Edited by Redleg

If he keeps training with us then that suggests he is still interested in being a demon, and we are are still interested in having him. It also means that either we want to use our number one draft pick on someone else, or we are just not sure about Thorpe yet.

Given that Joel MacDonald has nominated for the pre-season draft only, i think it very likely that we have had a chat to him and told him we are interested but that we don't want to commit because you never know what will happen draft day, I also think he has probably got more definite answers from Kangaroos and/or Richmond (if they don't go for Polak) who are next in line, but would prefer to come to us.

In my mind, Thorpe nominating for ND (I don't think anyone else will go for him at all in the ND, let alone before 50), and MacDonald (or Junior Junior as he will now be called) nominating for PSD is all good news.

Edited by Ingo

ND is the best chance at a second shot. Dees look like they have verbally committed to MacDonald according to reports in the age this morning, meaning the only way to get Macdonald and thorp would be for Thorp to nominate for the ND.

I have a gut feeling that Thorp will be selected with pick 50 in the ND unless a very tasty prospect slides to us at 50. If he is not there, good luck to him. If he misses a ND selection, I believe he can still nominate for other upcoming drafts.