Brad Miller 'a required player'

Rogue

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Melbourne defender Simon Buckley, who impressed last year as a rebounding half-back before being cut down by injury this season, is attracting significant interest from several clubs.

The Demons could move him on for the right deal, which could be a second or third round pick.

They rate Buckley highly, but have others who play a similar role.

Carlton is one of the clubs linked to Buckley, with the Blues also believed to be interested in Daniel Bell.

Despite speculation of a move, Brad Miller is a required player at Melbourne.

Miller is yet to sign, but has been on an extended overseas break.

The Demons are offering him a new deal.

It is understood Melbourne and Carlton have spoken to Bulldog Andrejs Everitt about a possible move.

But the Demons appear unlikely to make a serious play for Everitt, who is under contract.

They will have picks No.1, No.2, No.11 and No.18 in the draft after the McLean deal and have every intention of keeping them.

This article seems odd to me. Buckley being linked to clubs, Miller a required player and Blues interested in Bell???

All seems very odd. Hell, they can take Bell as part of the Mclean trade. That way it opens up a spot for Buckley to stay!

Guest melbman

As far as Brad Miller goes, he gets enough of the ball in the forward line to be a decent scoring forward. Once someone takes the time to teach him the important aspects in kicking, in specific to look at the actual ball as you kick it, he could rack up a decent annual goal tally. Spinning the ball while moving in to kick actually compounds the problem

His confidence in games is shot and I feel the footy dept is partly to blame

In what other ball sport would a player consider looking at the intended destination rather than focusing on the point of impact when they are striking the ball? Imagine how hard it would be to hit a golf ball while gazing down the fairway

The focusing eye looks at the ball, the peripheral eye may feel/see the destination at best, there can be no other way.

If you were designing a robot to hit, kick, whack or smash a ball, the cameras would look at the ball and foot, or bat and ball, or club/racquet etc and ball, I don't think there would be a single design where it would look at the intended destination in preference to the strike

* throwing the ball in sport not included in the above as the body already has contact ;)

/end rant

I wouldnt trade bucks for any pic above 30, especially in this draft. and would hesitate for anything above pic22ish.

If carlton show interest in bell well then we should push to move him on for anything really, we need to find extra spots on our list.

As far as Brad Miller goes, he gets enough of the ball in the forward line to be a decent scoring forward. Once someone takes the time to teach him the important aspects in kicking, in specific to look at the actual ball as you kick it, he could rack up a decent annual goal tally. Spinning the ball while moving in to kick actually compounds the problem

His confidence in games is shot and I feel the footy dept is partly to blame

In what other ball sport would a player consider looking at the intended destination rather than focusing on the point of impact when they are striking the ball? Imagine how hard it would be to hit a golf ball while gazing down the fairway

The focusing eye looks at the ball, the peripheral eye may feel/see the destination at best, there can be no other way.

If you were designing a robot to hit, kick, whack or smash a ball, the cameras would look at the ball and foot, or bat and ball, or club/racquet etc and ball, I don't think there would be a single design where it would look at the intended destination in preference to the strike

* throwing the ball in sport not included in the above as the body already has contact ;)

/end rant

its too late for Millers Kicking, if the blues are interested in Bell they can have him with Brock for pick 11, CJ now Bell , i love it

That doesn't really surprise me.

The club probably realised that we'll get a crap 3rd round pick for him, and decided it's better to sign him up on an average contract for some strength and maturity in the forwardline.

People are kidding themselves if they think Watts will play 22 rounds and star next year. He'll need some breaks to give his body a rest, and that's without taking into consideration any possible injuries.

Buckley will struggle to get a game next year, as will Bell, but Miller is a good mature body to have lying around as an insurance policy.

Hope Miller stays as I believe he is value to the team and shows good leadership to the younger guys barring his kicking.

As far his kicking for goal goes I think he could give away the habit of continuously flipping the ball over in his hands as he is moving in to take a shot.This may be a nervous habit.He just needs to concentrate a bit more and have some expectation and confidence that the ball will go through for a goal.

[

"They rate Buckley highly, but have others who play a similar role."

I'd like to know which players they think have similar pace and strength as Simon Buckley to break the lines. I can understand some criticisms of Buckley(Clangers etc), but to say we have similar players is definitely incorrect.

We must remember what a good season he had in '08, and forgive him for missing '09 with an injury resulting from overtraining.

I sincerely hope it is true that we keep him. His toughness and bulk will be needed around this skillful young immature forward line.

I sincerely hope it is true that we keep him. His toughness and bulk will be needed around this skillful young immature forward line.

I agree

I can see opposition backmen really trying to push ,shove and intimidate Liam and Jack Watts next year , I would too both are built like toothpicks . Miller is worth being in there if only to step in and protect. If MIller isnt there to do this who will fly the flag down there Newton :lol::lol::lol::lol:

We must remember what a good season he had in '08, and forgive him for missing '09 with an injury resulting from overtraining.

2008, the season Buckley finished 21st in our Best & Fairest? This guy is seriously overrated by a lot of people on here. Yes he can

run fast and 'break lines', but his use of the ball is still very questionable. He's now had 4 years on our senior list and still has 'potential' to show for it. If we keep him on any longer he'll be a list clogger. If Carlton offer a 2nd or 3rd round pick for him, I wish him well playing alongside Chris Johnson at the Bullants next year.

..a required player ... bit like "he has our full support " ... the dreaded deathknell !! lol Its all words. Just keeps the suitors honest.

Hope Miller stays as I believe he is value to the team and shows good leadership to the younger guys barring his kicking.

As far his kicking for goal goes I think he could give away the habit of continuously flipping the ball over in his hands as he is moving in to take a shot.This may be a nervous habit.He just needs to concentrate a bit more and have some expectation and confidence that the ball will go through for a goal.

Miller takes a lot of marks within scoring distance and if he could learn how to set up, concentrate and kick through the ball he would be a 60 goal a year player for us. You see some of the other players go through their routine and make sure they have everything right and then you see Miller walk in with his eyes roaming around everywhere and spinning the ball. No wonder he can only kick 40 mtrs.

I would get him some tapes of players like Lloyd and Fev and make him watch them as they prepare to kick for goal and he would see that they are concentrating 100% on what they are about to do. It's a bit like putting in golf, as they say it's the money shot.

Miller has a big body which is good, but if he goes I won't be dwelling over it at all.

Same goes with Buckley. I use to love watching him play and his pace and size is something we don't have but if he goes well don't let the door hit you on the way out. Just frees up another spot for a young player and gives them more games.

Miller takes a lot of marks within scoring distance and if he could learn how to set up, concentrate and kick through the ball he would be a 60 goal a year player for us.

If I was a better footy player, had better hamstrings, and could kick straighter, I too could be a 60-goal forward.

He is what he is, and he ain't a 60-goal forward.

Besides, in 2 years time the forward line will be dominated by Watts, Jurrah, Bate, and Sylvia. If Miller kicks 60 goals in any given year - all those guys are injured, our midfield is killing it, and we are all living in Bizarro world.

Miller has historically taken most of his marks further than kicking distance...( in fact half way to the locker rooms we all seemed to think :rolleyes: ) that was the major bugbear of many of us.. he wasnt a lead up forward.. he was a halfway home one !!

On Miller, I like him as that lead up CHF and he will present contest all day. According to most people the players we have drafted in recent drafts have very good foot skills, if that is the case Miller will be a better player, if we can hit him on a lead he will mark it. The next stage is to get Davey and Co running past at speed for Miller to hand off. He can be a very important player with the right delivery and people running past.

If I was a better footy player, had better hamstrings, and could kick straighter, I too could be a 60-goal forward.

He is what he is, and he ain't a 60-goal forward.

Besides, in 2 years time the forward line will be dominated by Watts, Jurrah, Bate, and Sylvia. If Miller kicks 60 goals in any given year - all those guys are injured, our midfield is killing it, and we are all living in Bizarro world.

I'm talking about one major flaw Miller has; you obviously have a lot more.

Over the last 2 years he has taken a considerably more marks around the 50mtr line and should be able to convert more of them. He’s a big guy so strength shouldn't be an issue in his kicking its more technique and if he was able to correct his kicking faults he could kick a lot more goals.

Miller once commented that he started moving further up the ground and Daniher didn’t say anything about it so he assumed that he didn’t mind him doing that; well he may have to play a more restricted game if he wants to continue to be picked.

Edited by RobbieF

Only one thing springs to mind for mine as to why theFD would retain Miller in any battle plans. His forte is the lead up mark, he does posess a pretty good pair of mitts...his feet are awkward. If however you are in possession of the ball at or around 50-60 and have a flurry of fleet-footed fellows able to deliver to targets then his ( Miller's ) preference to off load could be turned from a handicap to a weapon. If they ( either the FD or the presence of talented mids , or both..lol ) can magically arm him with confidence to play on immediately instead of taking a half-hour survey then he may well yet earn his keep.

I cant think of any other reason for him being "required"

Only one thing springs to mind for mine as to why theFD would retain Miller in any battle plans. His forte is the lead up mark, he does posess a pretty good pair of mitts...his feet are awkward. If however you are in possession of the ball at or around 50-60 and have a flurry of fleet-footed fellows able to deliver to targets then his ( Miller's ) preference to off load could be turned from a handicap to a weapon. If they ( either the FD or the presence of talented mids , or both..lol ) can magically arm him with confidence to play on immediately instead of taking a half-hour survey then he may well yet earn his keep.

I cant think of any other reason for him being "required"

They might give him one year, or 2, looking to trade to GC-17 next year.

They might give him one year, or 2, looking to trade to GC-17 next year.

I see this offered up time and time again..and its not a retort at you per se dee-l... but exactly of what value is miller going to be to GC ( or anyone for that matter ) in 2 years. If we cant make some return on him ..what anyone else?

I see this offered up time and time again..and its not a retort at you per se dee-l... but exactly of what value is miller going to be to GC ( or anyone for that matter ) in 2 years. If we cant make some return on him ..what anyone else?

It's a valid point, I guess we can always hope for a wood duck