Brad Green

Redleg

Ran back under the ball to take a mark and was involved in a heavy collision. This is the same bloke who broke his jaw earlier this year. His courage is sensational and has been for most of his career. There is nothing more inspirational on a footy field than putting your body on the line for the team. He does it often. He is the best player in the side in my opinion and should be the captain.

Thank god that fall had no dire consequences. From the angle where we were sitting, it seemed like he fell head first into the ground and his whole body followed.

I had flashbacks to Chris Lamb.

His courage is unquestionable, and if he isn't our best player, he's certainly in the top 3.

Great game tonight from him.

Ran back under the ball to take a mark and was involved in a heavy collision. This is the same bloke who broke his jaw earlier this year. His courage is sensational and has been for most of his career. There is nothing more inspirational on a footy field than putting your body on the line for the team. He does it often. He is the best player in the side in my opinion and should be the captain.

Settle down Redleg, Green has only been doing these acts of valour for the last 2 seasons.

And I'm glad he started doing them. I feel great pride for this man now.

Green should definitely be the skipper next year.

There has been so much talk surrounding who should be wearing the captain's armband on this forum and I will run through them individually.

Davey: Has taken his game to a new level this year but I don't think he needs the added pressure of being captain. I am happy to see him playing well.

Sylvia: His last month and a bit has been outstanding but I think he needs to produce this kind of form consistently for a wee bit longer. (HT: If this happens then he should def be in the leadership group.)

Beamer: He finally has his body right and is getting himself up for games week in week out - too early for captaincy IMO. (Even though he bleeds red and blue)

McLean: I believe that this guy will be a super player for the dees over the next 5 years but I think he is carrying an injury ATM and will relish the chance of getting a proper preseason under his belt. (PS: Shame on all you fellow supporters who think he is not up to it)

The too young brigade: Grimes, Jones, Watts and co.: Let these guys get out on the park and just enjoy their footy for the time being!

I thought Green should have won the B&F last year and I'm not sure what he is like around the club or on the training track but when I watch him out on the field, everything he does screams leadership.

GIVE HIM THE ARMBAND!

Settle down Redleg, Green has only been doing these acts of valour for the last 2 seasons.

What a load of carp.

He has been putting his head over the ball and without question copping the hits for many years.

Redleg is absolutely spot on.

At the start of his career I think Green was soft, the last 3 seasons he has gone back with the flight of the ball more times than he would have in his whole career to date.

Should have won last years B&F by a mile, was a disgrace he did not.

If they are not going to give the Captaincy to McLean then Green HAS to be the captain.

At the start of his career I think Green was soft, the last 3 seasons he has gone back with the flight of the ball more times than he would have in his whole career to date.

Should have won last years B&F by a mile, was a disgrace he did not.

If they are not going to give the Captaincy to McLean then Green HAS to be the captain.

Green is doing things now that he didn't do at the beginning of his career, but he was never soft. Bruce was soft and still is soft, but Green was never soft.

I beg to differ. He got punched in the throat as a 19 year old playing his first season of footy. His confidence was a little shaken, but he was ostensibly played as a forward then as an outside receiver - he got an undeserved tag of 'soft' because he played the role he was assigned. I can't remember too many times in his career when he didn't go when it was his turn - and certainly none at all in the last five years.

...................... Green has only been doing these acts of valour for the last 2 seasons.

If you think that's the case, then you can only have been watching for the last 2 seasons .... but I'm glad that you are now on board.

People who are questionning Green's courage should be banned because they are trolls. The evidence and arguments are now so convinceing that only a troll could deny it.

This is spot on. you never saw this 3-4 years ago with green. last year you saw him running back with the flight into oncoming traffic every week and more often than not mark it. he should have won our b&f last season. he was very unlucky to miss out. and to see him still going back with the flight of the ball after a serious facial injury is a credit to him and a great example to the younger blokes down at the club. i have a lot of respect for that.

I was up the other end of the ground for Green's courageous marking attempt and i haven't seen a replay, but wouldn't that be classified as tunnelling?

Did they end up bringing the rule in? and if not, shouldn't it just have been a free for taking out a plyer in a marking contest?

I know it wasn't deliberate, but it was incredibly dangerous and i was furious we didn't get a free (plus he would have taken the mark had his legs not been taken out).

Green is doing things now that he didn't do at the beginning of his career, but he was never soft. Bruce was soft and still is soft, but Green was never soft.

Agree. Whilst he was never a 'soft' player, he has taken his game to another level now, and his courage is second to none. Leads by example each and every week.

Morton and Bruce could stand to learn some things from Green.

I was up the other end of the ground for Green's courageous marking attempt and i haven't seen a replay, but wouldn't that be classified as tunnelling?

Did they end up bringing the rule in? and if not, shouldn't it just have been a free for taking out a plyer in a marking contest?

I know it wasn't deliberate, but it was incredibly dangerous and i was furious we didn't get a free (plus he would have taken the mark had his legs not been taken out).

No. The Essendon player (Hocking?) was running with the other Melbourne player (Robbo maybe?) in a legitimate attempt to contest the mark. Green came from the side/front and leapt in front of him, and momentum caused him to collide with Green. Certainly unintentional, and unavoidable too.

No. The Essendon player (Hocking?) was running with the other Melbourne player (Robbo maybe?) in a legitimate attempt to contest the mark. Green came from the side/front and leapt in front of him, and momentum caused him to collide with Green. Certainly unintentional, and unavoidable too.

Even so, a case could be made that he actually marked the ball. He took it on the first grab and clearly had control before he was hit. The ball was jarred loose after he was hit. It's just another example of the shockingly one-sided umpiring we saw last night. Does anyone believe that had it been Lloyd doing the same thing he wouldn't have been given the shot on goal?

Even so, a case could be made that he actually marked the ball. He took it on the first grab and clearly had control before he was hit. The ball was jarred loose after he was hit. It's just another example of the shockingly one-sided umpiring we saw last night. Does anyone believe that had it been Lloyd doing the same thing he wouldn't have been given the shot on goal?

The umpiring was pretty poor last night. But we have to understand that a lot of Essendon's free kicks were legitimate, and were caused by the Essendon players being first to the ball. Lots of high tackles, pushes in the back, holding the man, etc., often because we were second to the ball.

We were smashed in the contested ball last night. If the midfield we're playing can't win the contested ball then you know we're in big trouble.

The umpiring was pretty poor last night. But we have to understand that a lot of Essendon's free kicks were legitimate, and were caused by the Essendon players being first to the ball. Lots of high tackles, pushes in the back, holding the man, etc., often because we were second to the ball.

I agree we were demolished in the middle free kicks or no free kicks, but to have three soft (perhaps legitimate, but still very very soft) calls result in the first three goals of the match is wrong. It took the game away from us before it had even started. To then have Watts tackled without the ball three times in one passage of play in our forward fifty and not have a call at all is a disgrace.

I agree we were demolished in the middle free kicks or no free kicks, but to have three soft (perhaps legitimate, but still very very soft) calls result in the first three goals of the match is wrong. It took the game away from us before it had even started. To then have Watts tackled without the ball three times in one passage of play in our forward fifty and not have a call at all is a disgrace.

Yes, those free kicks at the start were soft. Over the last few weeks some of those free kicks wouldn't have been paid. Umpires have put the whistle away somewhat of late.

Little off topic but i could not believe when Lloyd hooked Frawleys arm and dragged him down on top of him Frawley didnt get the free kick. The umpire clearly saw it as he told Lloyd thats why he didnt get the free. If frawley hooked lloyds arm like that there would of been a free paid. Resultant throw in was a goal too.

Little off topic but i could not believe when Lloyd hooked Frawleys arm and dragged him down on top of him Frawley didnt get the free kick. The umpire clearly saw it as he told Lloyd thats why he didnt get the free. If frawley hooked lloyds arm like that there would of been a free paid. Resultant throw in was a goal too.

He did it again later about 35 out directly in front and got the free. Shocking call. The umpire had a clear view and you could clearly see Frawley's are pinned to Lloyds chest.

I've never understood the way some people view Green.

Regardless of whether their view was warranted when he started his career, I think the fact that people have held firm with their 'soft' tag year after year is evidence that when faced with information that challenges their views, people are more likely to discard it than change their own.

It often takes a while to change someone's views and I'm glad the number of times Green's gone back with the flight of the ball while playing behind the ball a bit more later in his career has dispelled the 'soft' tag in the views of most.

From the angle where we were sitting, it seemed like he fell head first into the ground and his whole body followed.

Same here. I wouldn't have been too surprised to see a head-size hole in the turf after he got up.