Jump to content

  • Latest Podcast: JLT 02 Brisbane

Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, Wrecker45 said:

1. Oliver

2. Gawn

3. Viney

4. Jetta

5. Hibberd

No idea how you can't have t.mac there. Clearly 1st or 2nd for me. I mean, we have a deep midfield so can cover the loss of a viney just like we did for most of last season. No way do we make finals last season without t.mcdonald.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Deemania since 56 said:

Agree about that summation of Westhoff - he has been a bogey-man for us for some years ... so I'd ask Vanders to have a rest on him across the game with some close pats on the back (of the head) and a few little run-throughs that will slow him down.

Agree Westhoff always plays well Vs Us need someone?? to play a totally negative game on him!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Dee Zephyr said:

It would be an interesting discussion 56, where would you rank Jetta?

He’d be in my top 5, irreplaceable imo.

I noted that this is next to impossible amongst players, although Gawn and Clarrie are stand-outs, with maybe Brayshaw moving up to that mantel across this year. I'd stick - myself - to the order I selected, if there was any need at all for such an order. It is just an opinion, y'see.

As for your very good recommendation of Nev, DZ  - who is absolutely proven to be absolutely essential to our team - I'd agree with you if it was not for what Melksham does for the team and what Viney is capable of (when and only when he if reliably fit).

This does not place a limitation on my personal opinion of Nev because there are 22 selected each week whereby the first 11 (at least) of those rankings would be the absolute guns any way it was perceived (and of those 'guns', the limits of separation are absolutely minute). It is an interesting perspective - covering different players, different roles and positions, different interpretations from us, the masses. If it helps and if I needed to drag a substitute 5th, it would be Nev - with Viney taking his current appreciation at 6th. 'Carna Dees!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Dr.D said:

No idea how you can't have t.mac there. Clearly 1st or 2nd for me. I mean, we have a deep midfield so can cover the loss of a viney just like we did for most of last season. No way do we make finals last season without t.mcdonald.

TMac isn’t that important while our gane plan is chaotic.

He is a focal point no doubt but I don’t rate any forward in the top 5.

If Petracca could use his freight train speed to mow the opposition down he would be a chance. He’d need to convert more goals as well.

Weid would need to learn how to position himself and take an overhead mark.

Defence is the the best form of attack and we have that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

From Bigfooty:

Since 2007 when we beat Melb by 5 Pts at MCG Rd 6 and 89 pts at Footy Park Rd 17 we have played Melbourne;

MCG........ 3 times 1 win (2013 79 pts) and 2 losses (2009 11 pts and 2017 23 pts)
Darwin..... 3 times 1 win and 2 loses (2010 1 pt and 2011 21 pts)
Alice........ 3 times 3 wins
Footy Park 3 times 3 wins
Adelaide O 4 times 3 wins and 1 loss (2016 40 pts)
For an 11-5 record

They don't like playing us at the MCG.

Not sure how the poster has drawn that conclusion. 
BTW they're going to be missing quite a few key players incl Dixon, Wines, Ryder and Hartlett. Mooted there'll be four debutantes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, M_9 said:

From Bigfooty:

Since 2007 when we beat Melb by 5 Pts at MCG Rd 6 and 89 pts at Footy Park Rd 17 we have played Melbourne;

MCG........ 3 times 1 win (2013 79 pts) and 2 losses (2009 11 pts and 2017 23 pts)
Darwin..... 3 times 1 win and 2 loses (2010 1 pt and 2011 21 pts)
Alice........ 3 times 3 wins
Footy Park 3 times 3 wins
Adelaide O 4 times 3 wins and 1 loss (2016 40 pts)
For an 11-5 record

They don't like playing us at the MCG.

Not sure how the poster has drawn that conclusion. 
BTW they're going to be missing quite a few key players incl Dixon, Wines, Ryder and Hartlett. Mooted there'll be four debutantes.

Considering how appalling we have been for most of that decade, Port only having a 11-5 win/loss record over us almost makes them our bunnies. 

  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/11/2019 at 7:32 PM, Dr.D said:

what has games played got to do with anything? Hell hasnt Watts played 150? 

And coming runners up in gold coast's bnf isn't anything to write home about. 

I have to laugh as he hasn't played a game yet with us & you've already crucified him......

Games played & B & F's have everything to do with it.....recognised by his piers & coaches, especially at a young age & shows durability, determination & obvious talent....in my opinion.

Maybe just give the kid a go first before you criticise him......

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, Laughing Goat said:

I have to laugh as he hasn't played a game yet with us & you've already crucified him......

Games played & B & F's have everything to do with it.....recognised by his piers & coaches, especially at a young age & shows durability, determination & obvious talent....in my opinion.

Maybe just give the kid a go first before you criticise him......

if they play 4 debutantes that's almost game over right there. lets hope so.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On 3/13/2019 at 9:44 AM, chook fowler said:

TMac would have to be close to the top 5 - just ahead of Melk IMO

I agree Chook.....for me 1/ Clarrie 2/Gawn 3/Brayshaw 4/ Viney 5/ T Mac

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Bay Riffin said:

if they play 4 debutantes that's almost game over right there. lets hope so.

Not so sure about that, I seem to recall several matches where we lost to a bunch of kids and no names in the past (Essendon when half their team was out suspended over the supplements scandal being the worst)

  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎3‎/‎15‎/‎2019 at 3:59 PM, sisso said:

Not so sure about that, I seem to recall several matches where we lost to a bunch of kids and no names in the past (Essendon when half their team was out suspended over the supplements scandal being the worst)

yes when we were rubbish.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I wouldn't be surprised to see us 0-2 to start the year off. It'll be interesting to see how May goes first up down at the Cattery.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, A F said:

I wouldn't be surprised to see us 0-2 to start the year off. It'll be interesting to see how May goes first up down at the Cattery.

Weak and pathetic. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For those who would have frost ahead of omac these comments from gawny make it pretty clear what the pecking order is from the club's perspective.

Sure that may not change your personal ratings of the relative strengths of each player.  But nonetheless it is pretty useful info in terms of informing an objective assessment of both players and the likliehoos of one playing ahead of the other.

Demons' Mayday set to bring on Frost, says Gawn - http://m.afl.com.au/news/2019-03-15/demons-mayday-set-to-bring-on-frost-says-gawn

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Has anyone got any intel from Friday's match simulation training?  All weekend I've been nervously awaiting the news to drop that "Player A" is injured and going to miss a number of weeks.  I'm hoping that no news is good news in this case. 

Fingers crossed.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, A F said:

I wouldn't be surprised to see us 0-2 to start the year off. It'll be interesting to see how May goes first up down at the Cattery.

 

1 hour ago, stevethemanjordan said:

Weak and pathetic. 

D'land just got juicy. :D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, hells bells said:

Has anyone got any intel from Friday's match simulation training?  All weekend I've been nervously awaiting the news to drop that "Player A" is injured and going to miss a number of weeks.  I'm hoping that no news is good news in this case. 

Fingers crossed.  

It's remarkable how little info there has been about that session, particularly given it was supposedly a full scale low practice match and was at a known venue

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, binman said:

It's remarkable how little info there has been about that session, particularly given it was supposedly a full scale low practice match and was at a known venue

yep its remarkable how little info we've received about our pre season from the footy club media department this year full stop. its really gone backwards from previous years and not very good promotion of the club imo. most stories we do get are just lifted from the AFL site anyway.

Edited by Demon Dude
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm looking forward to round 1. I'm looking forward to having Viney starting in the centre square. We missed him a lot during last season.

This is what I want from this season individually:

- Lever to play 10 games

- Joel Smith to kick over 30 goals.

- Petracca to average 90 afl fantasy points.(I love my fantasy sport!)

- Brayshaw to get in the AA squad.

- Gawn to beat Grundy for AA again.

- weideman to kick 40 goals.

- Viney to play 20 games minimum.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, binman said:

For those who would have frost ahead of omac these comments from gawny make it pretty clear what the pecking order is from the club's perspective.

Sure that may not change your personal ratings of the relative strengths of each player.  But nonetheless it is pretty useful info in terms of informing an objective assessment of both players and the likliehoos of one playing ahead of the other.

Demons' Mayday set to bring on Frost, says Gawn - http://m.afl.com.au/news/2019-03-15/demons-mayday-set-to-bring-on-frost-says-gawn

In before the melts when Goody selects just Omac as our key back and uses flankers in every other defensive position...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, Demon Dude said:

yep its remarkable how little info we've received about our pre season from the footy club media department this year full stop. its really gone backwards from previous years and not very good promotion of the club imo. most stories we do get are just lifted from the AFL site anyway.

Maybe the Club is attempting to exercise some 'cloak and dagger' secrecy at the start of the season, reporting just the basics and no further, particularly where recoveries and injury management processes might well be background scenarios that opponents might exploit. I think we'd all be keen to get the drum on key players and their return/readiness for the start of the season and the first few weeks into this fixture. However, in the words of the patient, trust the Club to do the correct thing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Ugottobekidding said:

frost played well in 2018 finals. 

He played well against the cats. Just ok against the hawks and like the rest of the team poor in the prelim.

And he played well after he came in during the regular season. A solid footballer with an important strength - pace. I'm happy for him to be in the team.

But Omac is ahead of him and as Gawn implies when may is back in omac stays and Frosty is the player most likely to be dropped. Which makes sense because he is a better, more reliable key defender

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   23 members

  • Social Media

  • Match Previews, Reports & Articles

    THE WELCOME GAME by Whispering Jack

    The Melbourne Football Club has moved forward in leaps and bounds since it last met Port Adelaide in a totally forgettable (for Demon fans) season opener on the MCG.  That game, played on Sunday, 31 March, 2013 before a crowd of 22,924, was supposed to be a close encounter between two of the competition’s lesser lights from the previous season when the Power had finished 14th and the Demons 16th (ahead only of AFL newbies Gold Coast and GWS). It turned into a slaughter with Port taking the

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    THE WALKING WOUNDED by Paddy Gosch

    Forget the fact that Melbourne narrowly missed out on getting the four JLT points on offer for a second consecutive week and the blow to the ego of a supposed top four contender losing ... well almost at home ... to a team that has recently dwelt in the AFL cellar and won a mere five games in 2018. The things that emerged from the horror final JLT outing was that the Demons are a long way from being prepared to take on the rigours of a long tough season in which they have one of the hardest fixt

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    PRACTICE MAKES PERFECT by Paddy Gosch

    The Demons have named a star studded line up in it’s final practice match before the season proper. They take on the emerging Brisbane Lions out at Casey which is the second of three matches at the ground on Saturday. Many of the Dees best 22 have been recalled including Vice Captains Max Gawn and Neville Jetta whilst Captains Nathan Jones and Jack Viney will play restricted minutes in the VFL curtain raiser. Former Gold Coast co-captain Steven May will play his first official game for Melb

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    HIT OUT by Paddy Gosch

    As far as preseason hit outs go, the Demons’ first JLT Community Series fixture against the Tigers in the blistering heat at Shepparton, was instructive of a number of things but not really conclusive as to how each team will fare in the regular season against the competition's big guns (which includes against each other). That’s the way these practice match hit outs go. Neither of the teams was at full strength, particularly Melbourne but if you were looking for the reason for the 12 point

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    HOT OUT OF THE CITY by Paddy Gosch

    The Dees travel out of the city for game one of two JLT Community Series practice matches before the season proper. Our first match takes us to the floodplains of the Goldburn River in Northern Victoria to the city of Shepparton. We take on the Tigers for the first of at least 3 encounters with the 2017 Premiers this year. The game will be played in scorching temperatures so expect plenty of rotations, ice vests, fans running overtime and extra water carriers. The Demons are coming off a wi

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    GAME, SET & SCRATCH by Paddy Gosch

    I always believe in starting off any report by accentuating the positive and in that regard, as at the time of writing, the Demons have not reported any injuries so that’s my major positive from today’s practice game v the Magpies (albeit that we know the club is somewhat lax in reporting these things so my best wishes go out if any of today’s participants are in intensive care at the Alfred).  Another positive was that Razor Ray performed his umpiring duties admirably which is more than I

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    SCRATCH by Paddy Gosch

    The Demons are set to take on the old enemy Collingwood in a good old fashioned Scratch Match on Friday Morning. It is unknown what form the match will take, how many quarters there will be, their length, the amount of rotations or even whether they'll keep score. One thing we do know for sure is that both coaching staffs will be keeping their cards close to their chests to ensure neither will glean too much from their competition. The Dees will likely be without some of their stars as Tom

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    IMAGINE by Whispering Jack

    The Demons made their official return to the training track for 2019 on a sunny Saturday morning at Goschs Paddock with most of the interest initially centred on a small patch of ground in one of the pockets where the rehab group was going through the paces. Some good pieces of news on that score. The  rehab group is considerably smaller than it was prior to the Christmas break with Christian Petracca (knee), James Harmes (shoulder), Jayden Hunt (shoulder), Neville Jetta (shoulder), Oscar M

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Special Features

    THAT WAS THE YEAR THAT WAS by Whispering Jack

    Melbourne atoned for the heartbreak of its frustrating finish to the 2017 season by, at long last, making the finals and then disposed of two highly credentialed and experienced teams in Geelong and Hawthorn before it capitulated meekly to eventual premier West Coast in the Preliminary Final in Perth. The club’s progression has been forward and upward since it finished 2013 with two wins and appointed Paul Roos as coach. The number has increased to four, seven, 10, 12, and now 14 games. The

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Special Features

×
×
  • Create New...