• IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Brad Miller

Yencks

That's bloody obvious. No one has posted that Miller is our CHF solution. He showed a lot in one season and has never reproduced that form. As for toughness (and it aint perceived), I'd think that it is worth a lot and other than paul johnson, no-one else in the team shows any. Flying the flag not important any more?

Bate does not play CHF alone. Dunn doesn't either. If you look at Dunn, he is yet to really show that he is any good on the lead, and certainly does not present himself that way. Contested marking, well, again what has he shown? Argueable Miller has shown plenty more (which is very disappointing) and he is not that good. As for Bate, well, the days of the power forward are over UNLESs you are just superb. Bater will play midfield/CHF, like sylvia. Interestingly, there was talk in the beginning that he had little upside and might only FF or FB. Me, I think he lacks the intesity to play midfield and his hands are not quick enough. I'd have him as part of that FF/CHF/HFF rotation group with sylvia.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll take the 2 goals a game that a Bate or Dunn could provide, ahead of Miller's perceived toughness. Name one other CHF in the AFL that plays the same role as Miller? A non goalkicking CHF is a luxury we can't afford.

Let me guess. You're one of those guys that complains about how soft the team is as well?

McPhee is playing the role atm for Essendon, Ashley Hansen for Eagles, O'Keefe for Sydney (although he floats back once he's got the ball up the ground and kicks a goal a game). Aaron Edwards does the same for North.

Besides all that, why can't Melbourne and Miller be the exceptional to the rule? Just because a few clubs have a Brown, Tredrea, Hall, Riewoldt or Franklin doesn't mean every one is going to

Let me guess. You're one of those guys that complains about how soft the team is as well?

McPhee is playing the role atm for Essendon, Ashley Hansen for Eagles, O'Keefe for Sydney (although he floats back once he's got the ball up the ground and kicks a goal a game). Aaron Edwards does the same for North.

Besides all that, why can't Melbourne and Miller be the exceptional to the rule? Just because a few clubs have a Brown, Tredrea, Hall, Riewoldt or Franklin doesn't mean every one is going to

I don't equate hardness to giving out cheap shots, and getting reported. And your comparisons are ludicrous. Miller isn't fit to tie Hansen or O'Keefe's bootlaces. McPhee has played CHF for a whole 2 weeks since Lucas got injured, and Edwards is more of a goalkicker than Miller.

And I don't understand your point of "why can't Melbourne and Miller be the exception to the rule?" What rule are we talking about. Success?

I'm just saying that because every other team has a superstar centre half forward doesn't mean you have to. There's nothing wrong with doing things a little differently.

Hansen really isn't that much of a different player to Miller - just a bit bigger and better. Both get heaps of kicks up towards the wings from leads

I'm just saying that because every other team has a superstar centre half forward doesn't mean you have to. There's nothing wrong with doing things a little differently.

Hansen really isn't that much of a different player to Miller - just a bit bigger and better. Both get heaps of kicks up towards the wings from leads

And Hansen is fragile - he'd be lucky to make 11 games out of 22.

I rate Miller as a hit up forward, that gives a contest. And don't forget, Sydney were after him, with a reported 2nd round draft pick trade. Sydney are no mugs.

And Hansen is fragile - he'd be lucky to make 11 games out of 22.

I rate Miller as a hit up forward, that gives a contest. And don't forget, Sydney were after him, with a reported 2nd round draft pick trade. Sydney are no mugs.

The only mugs around here are the (for want of a better word) supporters who can't acknowledge the positive contribution from someone they have bagged because they feel their point of view must be preserved beyond reason! I was pleased to see Miller's contribution today. He was a contributor and he made his presence felt. I can see the coach and the player in question drawing some confidence from that. We are on about list development and if Miller continues to develop along these lines then it is a good thing. I will support anyone who puts body on line and fights to restore some on-field pride in the jumper.

The only mugs around here are the (for want of a better word) supporters who can't acknowledge the positive contribution from someone they have bagged because they feel their point of view must be preserved beyond reason! I was pleased to see Miller's contribution today. He was a contributor and he made his presence felt. I can see the coach and the player in question drawing some confidence from that. We are on about list development and if Miller continues to develop along these lines then it is a good thing. I will support anyone who puts body on line and fights to restore some on-field pride in the jumper.

Absolutely.

If only some of his more-skilled teammates showed as much hunger and passion for the contest.

Miller was great in the first half. He presented, he made his physical presence felt and he kicked with purpose. We were playing far more direct football when he was at CHF.

The whole "Miller doesn't kick goals" argument is pointless. He played half his career down back, and when he is at CHF his purpose is to lead long and hard and provide a link. He CAN kick goals, as he did today, but it has never been his primary role.

I think some people can't get their head around having a player who actually does what is best for the team, not what is best for himself. He is not a selfish player who will do whatever it takes to gain some personal glory. Miller has sacrificed his own game for his entire career in order to fill holes up forward and down back for the club. I find it amazing that supporters jump up and down and get stuck into one of the only players in the team who actually leads from the front and meets all of Bailey's work ethic criteria.

No, he isn't a superstar and he never will be. Who at our club is?

I think it's time to forget the cocept that Miller can play either end.

He always looks more comfortable as a leading CHF. And there's nothing we need more.

If he plays a few more improved games like today's, let's not upset his momentum, as we have so often in the past, by putting him down back on Hall or Brown.

Yep , I couldnt agree more. I have been a big critic of his for the past 2 years but today he played the best game(albeit it 1 half) since the Final in Freo . It is so painfully obvious he belongs at CHF or flank as he actually presented quite well today as he did in that Final. I`ve said for quite some time that we need him to bring his aggression back into the game that we saw in his first year that has gone missing after a few trips to the Tribunal but, if that means getting rubbed out for 1 or 2 then it`d be worth it. If he brings his agro game back he could be a very valuable player for us , something that this team desperately needs. If he can put in 4 quarters , Well ! Wishful thnking maybe but he belongs at CHF and give him a few games there and he just may deliver!

I think it's time to forget the cocept that Miller can play either end.

He always looks more comfortable as a leading CHF. And there's nothing we need more.

If he plays a few more improved games like today's, let's not upset his momentum, as we have so often in the past, by putting him down back on Hall or Brown.

Miller has a role to play - as a leading or high Centre Half Forward, a marking link man between defence and attack leading, doubling back and then leading again so that his team mates always know that he will be there to kick to. Players like Bate and Dunn can play in the hole he creates behind him.

He has had a couple of shocking seasons. Daniher effectively neutered his aggression which did have to be channelled but by neutering him one of his strengths was taken from him.

Definitely agree his trips to the backline should be limited.

I always take it with a grain of salt when someone is labelled as a player who will never be a part of a premiership - plenty of players so labeled have played in a flag.

Riewolt has been well held goalwise though these opening few rounds. The reason St Kilda lost to the Doggies the other night was because Riewolt and Gehrig barely scored. Riewolt will still kick over 30 goals this year and could go far higher.

Miller has kicked 36 goals in his 90 something games. One goal every three games is shite, even if he has played about 20 or so in defense. I like that he gives us a lead up target and opens up the forwardline, but we really need someone who can kick goals. Neitz will retire come years end, and we're going to struggle with forward to kick goals. This draft hopefully we get a big forward, big back, and big ruck. Got enough mids now.

Between Jarka and mo64 we have a pair. BUT OF WHAT?

Drop the 'voice of reason' act boys. You do not have the style or content to carry it.

Miller was serviceable. What people like is his effort and application and character as it can be perceived. Funny, neither Jarka nor m064 rate that. Says oh so much.

Hey twit, care to discuss the actual topic for a change? Last time I checked the topic was about Brad Miller and his abilities as a footballer not how some pathetic little keyboard cowboy thinks he's superior than mo64 and myself.

I've always discussed my opinion of his abilities (funny, I thought that's what forums like this are for :rolleyes: ) and I have not mentioned his character, but of course dealing with facts has never been your strong point has it? You're much more at ease peddling with cheap shots and vague accusations.

Hopefully now that holidays are over we don't have to read your anal gibberish.

Daniher effectively neutered his aggression which did have to be channelled but by neutering him one of his strengths was taken from him.

Why does Daniher get the blame for that? I would have though a few trips to the tribunal and subsequent suspensions did far more to "neuter his aggression".

Why does Daniher get the blame for that? I would have though a few trips to the tribunal and subsequent suspensions did far more to "neuter his aggression".

Agree. Daniher gave Miller every chance to succeed. He had him in the leadership group early recognising the attributes that DB clearly values.

Hey twit, care to discuss the actual topic for a change? Last time I checked the topic was about Brad Miller and his abilities as a footballer not how some pathetic little keyboard cowboy thinks he's superior than mo64 and myself.

I've always discussed my opinion of his abilities (funny, I thought that's what forums like this are for :rolleyes: ) and I have not mentioned his character, but of course dealing with facts has never been your strong point has it? You're much more at ease peddling with cheap shots and vague accusations.

Hopefully now that holidays are over we don't have to read your anal gibberish.

Oh dear... you don't think character in some way contributes to performance?. Why were so many Melbourne supporters so in love with Trapper? Ah yes it was our facilities that cost him a premiership medallion and not his approach. All the talent in the world and only 51% of the application needed.

That's bloody obvious. No one has posted that Miller is our CHF solution. He showed a lot in one season and has never reproduced that form. As for toughness (and it aint perceived), I'd think that it is worth a lot and other than paul johnson, no-one else in the team shows any. Flying the flag not important any more?

So we've finally found our solution to our CHF problem. GREAT!! FANTASTIC!! Now we don't need to even bother trying to draft or trade for another quality CHF because we have the messiah in our team. Buddy, Tomahawk, Fev and Reiwoldt must all be shaking in their boots and the prospect of the new kid on the block who will so obviously make them all look like school kids with his ability to take contested marks and kick huge bags of goals.....

/Off sarcasm

What a complete load of self indulgent tripe you've been posting on this topic. FFS I've already said that he's performance was ok, which I honestly believe it was. Was it a great game by Miller? Does anyone here on this website honestly believe that he played a great game?

What Miller does is ok, but he is extremely one dimensional and his disposal does not really hurt the opposition. Sure he tries hard, but so did Godfrey, and on one here was that surprised when he got delisted. Is he our best CHF right now? Yes, but really it's not something to be proud of and if we want to actually win a premiership then we'll have to find other power forwards to build the team around.

stated previously that miller is the solution at centre half forward or the lead up forward... he is pretty quick, has good hands and is prepared to play team orientated footy!! do not give him time to think or else...

he actually did not give the first handball off everytime yesterday and chose better options... he also kicked a nice goal too!!

he showed aggression but it was measured and acted like a leader of the footy club chould...

i think we should be persisting with him... the inclusion of rivers allows this to now occur!!

stated previously that miller is the solution at centre half forward or the lead up forward... he is pretty quick, has good hands and is prepared to play team orientated footy!! do not give him time to think or else...

he actually did not give the first handball off everytime yesterday and chose better options... he also kicked a nice goal too!!

he showed aggression but it was measured and acted like a leader of the footy club chould...

i think we should be persisting with him... the inclusion of rivers allows this to now occur!!

RD, fair post, in reality we really don't have any other option but to persist with him this year.

Agree. Daniher gave Miller every chance to succeed. He had him in the leadership group early recognising the attributes that DB clearly values.

Disagree. Daniher played him far too often in the backline when it was clear that he was at his best when playing at CHF and leading along the wing, which he did yesterday successfully.