Andrew McQualter - Appointed coach of the West Coast Eagles

8 minutes ago, Bates Mate said:

Good ol Tom always ready to run with a negative MFC angle

I'm all for bashing the journalists, but he isn't taking a pot shot at us, With McQualter moving to West Coast, and it's got nothing to do with our club, it's about opportunity..

It will be a fascinating to see where we go to recruit for both vacant positions.  

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Jaded No More said:

There would be lots of great assistants who would love this same opportunity.

I would like to see Cameron Bruce offered that role, but I am sure there are others. 

It's the logical one given the connection to the club, and that he's just coached the premiership midfield, however I think I heard Greg Swan on the radio over the weekend saying that most of their football dept have been signed up for next year and beyond, so probably unlikely.
Seem to also recall that unless it's being put up as a 'Senior assistant role' most clubs are reluctant to let assistants move clubs across in essentially the same role if under contract.

• Thanks 1

Seems like a nice guy but he made no impact with us and hope that continues with West Coast.

Nathan Bassett the front runner to be the replacement.

Edited by Jibroni
  • Like 2

Good Luck to Andrew, from video footage i saw, he sounded like a great guy. But I don’t think he was a great midfield coach for us, so I think this is a win/win. 
We must find a gun person for the midfield job…..

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Die Hard Demon said:

Am i the only one happy about this? We were the 2nd worst performing midfield this year in terms of clearances. Glad our hands forced to bring in a new midfield coach - only up from here 

Brayshaw(?), Petracca(?), Oliver(?)

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Die Hard Demon said:

Am i the only one happy about this? We were the 2nd worst performing midfield this year in terms of clearances. Glad our hands forced to bring in a new midfield coach - only up from here 

No your not.  I am too as it opens up a much bigger re-fresh opportunity off field

Providing we choose wisely.

• Like 2

Didn't really set the world on fire at the Dees Mcqualter and probably for good reason.

Hopefully someone with fresh ideas can impart their knowledge on our young up and coming midfielders.

Fit and firing come day one of Pre season, we don't want excuses this year from every facet of the club, we just want results.

Edited by YesitwasaWin4theAges
  • Thanks 1

Yeah blame the coach and not the players it wont matter who's coaching the midfield group next year the problem will be the same, one paced, lack of skills no outside pace but a year older and who will you blame then the coach again we need pace and skills injected in the midfield and a different game plan to improve.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Gorgoroth said:

So mid coach and Forward.

fast food wtf GIF by Looney Tunes

sad wile e coyote GIF by Looney Tunes

200.gif?cid=bdfa2d1fh9qqns737aht76ag2gib

Shortlist these guys.

• Haha 1

Another big tick for our Footy Dept and Goodwin

Yze and now AM appointed to the last 2 open coaching jobs

Hope WC remain a rubbish team but AM does OK (if that is even possible)

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

I thought McQualter was in charge of an average MFC midfield, and I can't imagine West Coast placed much stock on his 12 months at the club. Must have been all the ground work he put in during his assistant coaching days at Richmond as well as a 7-5 record as interim coach which is nothing to sneeze at.

Having said that, McQualter didn't have the luxury that Yze had with respect to our midfield:

Missed Trac for 10 games, a pre-season less Oliver and copped a regression year from Viney. By the second half of the season we were in experiment mode with Rivers (reasonable success) and McVee (unsuccessful).

Good luck to him and hope we can get a capable replacement.

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, Jibroni said:

Seems like a nice guy but he made no impact with us and hope that continues with West Coast.

Nathan Bassett the front runner to be the replacement.

Bassett was always talked up as a future coach 6-7 years ago. Haven't heard him in line for a senior gig lately , highly regarded though, be happy to have another further demon 😅

• Like 1

Not exactly sure how the soft cap works but assume this means we've got a bit more to work with to attract an assistant coach than we normally would.  Hopefully can get a good tactition / communicator with good IP from recently successful clubs / gameplans eg Bris, Swans, Pies, Hawks, Geel.

Interestingly, Geelong after their desastrous end to 2021 revamped their whole footy department which seemed to make a big difference.  I hope we shake things up in a similar fashion. I remember hearing them talk about rebuilding their gameplan based on the players they had and maximising their strengths.

This is from Wikipedia:

Chris Scott continued as the club's men's senior coach for a twelfth season, and in May 2022, signed a two-year contract extension until the end of the 2024 season.[1]

Following the end of the 2021 season, Geelong overhauled their football department, with Matthew Scarlett, Corey Enright, and Matthew Knights departing.[2] Several former Geelong players joined the football department as their replacements. Coming in as head of medical and conditioning services were Harry Taylor, head of player development Matthew Egan, and development coaches James Kelly and Josh Jenkins. Joining them were Jason Lappin (football analyst) and the recently retired Eddie Betts (development).[3]

Geelong instituted a non-traditional coaching structure in 2022 with the club moving away from assistant coaches being responsible for specific positions.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I can't wrap my head around why these jobs are coveted. For instance, both Horse and Yze alike with their differing seasons would walk away from 2024 quite unhappy. I hope McQualter with a young family has a good support network out west, and wish him the best of luck (and mental health). 

Given he's been the front runner for some time, I'd hope we've got a good replacement plan afoot.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, djr said:

I wouldn't mind Daisy Pearce. She was held in high regard at Geelong and is doing a great job as coach of WCW. She has a great tactical brain.

She is contracted till 2026

Edited by Young Blood

38 minutes ago, demon3165 said:

Yeah blame the coach and not the players it wont matter who's coaching the midfield group next year the problem will be the same, one paced, lack of skills no outside pace but a year older and who will you blame then the coach again we need pace and skills injected in the midfield and a different game plan to improve.

Even after a disastrous year, we still were ranked 4th in Score Source Differential from Centre Bounces and 3rd from Stoppages. Not bad for a second string midfield with no skill and one paced.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I don’t see this as a positive, McQualter was highly rated. But it is an opportunity.

From what I saw of training McQualter had good energy and passion, I think he could’ve got a fit midfield playing faster footy.

I know they go back and review trainings with footage so maybe that came after but I thought McQualter was more ‘rah rah’ than instructive. 

• Like 1
  • Thinking 1

34 minutes ago, deelusions from afar said:

Not exactly sure how the soft cap works but assume this means we've got a bit more to work with to attract an assistant coach than we normally would.  Hopefully can get a good tactition / communicator with good IP from recently successful clubs / gameplans eg Bris, Swans, Pies, Hawks, Geel.

Interestingly, Geelong after their desastrous end to 2021 revamped their whole footy department which seemed to make a big difference.  I hope we shake things up in a similar fashion. I remember hearing them talk about rebuilding their gameplan based on the players they had and maximising their strengths.

This is from Wikipedia:

Is it a coincidence that you didn’t mention Power much more successful than Hawks over the last 7-8 years dfa?