The Dan Houston Thread

3 minutes ago, Deelectable said:

Sparrow & F1?

That's where I'd start. Or I'd try and split our 2024 1st rounder.

That said, losing a defensive mid when Viney is getting towards the end is a little dangerous.

Edited by Binmans PA

If we can have Georgiades too I'm happy to give them two first and a secondary.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, poita said:

We really are determined to follow Richmond into mediocrity if we make short term list management decisions at the expense of longer term improvements. Just ask them how the Jacob Hopper trade is working out. 

The  only way forward for this group is to bring in quality kids with high draft picks. Anything else is Goodwin trying to save his own [censored]. 

Agreed. The only way forward for this group is to bring in quality kids with high draft picks. Anything else is Goodwin trying to save his own job !!! 

• Like 1

Ouch. Houston is a good footballer but I think he’s overrated.  Running half back.  Not an elite mid.  Not a goalkicking forward. 

Houston for a future 1st round pick is about right. 

NO WAY IS HE WORTH GIVING UP TWO 1ST ROUND PICKS. NO WAY !!!! 

• Like 12

25 minutes ago, spirit of norm smith said:

Agreed. The only way forward for this group is to bring in quality kids with high draft picks. Anything else is Goodwin trying to save his own job !!! 

well, no

that's ONE way forward

that's YOUR PREFERRED way forward

that's NOT the ONLY way forward

• Like 8
  • Clap 1

7 minutes ago, spirit of norm smith said:

Ouch. Houston is a good footballer but I think he’s overrated.  Running half back.  Not an elite mid.  Not a goalkicking forward. 

Think about what he adds to our side.

Our best kicks coming out of the back half are Salem (struggling fitness-wise), Bowey (struggling all round) and McVee (most of us want him pushing up the ground a bit more).

With Rivers now a mid, Houston helps shore up our back-half kicking, which is hugely important to all sides. Our foot skills are the biggest thing holding us back.

He's a genuinely good player.

We can't and shouldn't sell the farm for a 28 year old but he'd be a great get for us if we can work it out.

• Like 1

Agree. I’d be keen to add him but not if it’s costs us.  With Tassie coming in around 2027, there will be compromised drafts ahead.   Future 1st rounder is still a decent price for Houston.  He’s a good footballer but not an elite mid or goalkicking forward.   

We currently have pick 9 our first pick in the draft. If you get a pick inside the top 10 you have to take it into the draft. There is no doubt Port Adelaide will request it. Too many midfielders have left club Harmes, Brayshaw, and Jordan. Bailey Laurie has had many opportunities and hasn't taken the next step. 

We need midfielders and this year's draft has so much talent. Yes, I would like to get Dan Houston and maybe we are targeting Houston because Christian Salem had too many injuries since the commencement of the 2022 season and we need more elite kicking off the half back. I can see why the Football Department wants Houston. 

After we played Fremantle last week we don't have the midfield depth it was hard watching our midfielders getting a hiding. Please Tim Lamb go to the draft get 2 picks inside the first round and let Jason Taylor do the rest. 

• Like 5
  • Clap 3

In an era where first and second year players can have a genuine impact, I’d be looking to split Pick 9 for two picks in this draft. Particularly with the depth being spoken about.

We’d be best trying to find a deal for Houston with a player and future/later pick.

• Like 4

11 hours ago, Deelectable said:

Sparrow & F1?

I doubt they want Sparrow with Rozee, Butters, JHF, Wines and Drew. Their list is not missing much at all. I like Ken but it's a miracle he's survived this long.

It'll take a top 10 pick because he’s in contract. I'd like to use this year's in the strong midfield draft. They may be willing to gamble on our F1 but probably want a sweetener too.

• Like 1

Since when is a medium half back worth 2 1st rounders?  Its just huff and puff stuff. He is likely 27 years old or thereabouts. He is good and can play most medium positions but 2 1st rounders - no way.

We got Landon who is a gun for pick 22 and he was way younger.

The question is do we go to the draft with a reasonable pick this year or do we already have enough kids coming through and a lack of quality players around 27 years old.

I think we have heaps of kids coming through and probably need a good quality experienced player coming in. Rivers looks like stepping up to a mid role on a permanent basis so a spot for an experienced half back opens up.

Rivers plays above his age.

I think its probable we will make a play for Houston or someone of that quality to complement our younger players coming through.

• Like 1

2 firsts is steep, perhaps okay if we get a 2nd coming back our way.

Half back flank is one of the most important positions on the ground. As we try to play a more transition style game, elite skills of HB make this possible. It also allows McVee to play midfield time next year. 

The cost may be expensive but what this recruitment enables is very exciting. 

Can people stop comparing the trade value of players who were traded when out of contract to Houston..

He is in contract and if we want him we will need to pay overs to get him out. 

The question is what is a suitable level of overs? I suggest a first round pick outside of the first 10 and some sweetener to Port is fair. Whether they take it is I suggest down to various factors. The reason he wishes to leave. How much they want to get back into the first round. How much salary it frees. How far off they see themselves contending in 2025.   

• Love 1

I’m only buying if it’s a 2025 first rounder … perhaps to sweeten it we would throw in the 2024 (pick 40) 2nd round pick.  

I think we need midfielders and 1st round picks are crucial.  There are also some very good ball user half back youngsters that are in VFL or also coming through under 18s.  

Houston is good but he’s not worth 2 x 1st round picks.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Flowergirl said:

Very interesting considering multiple reputable journos have reported his keenness to come home (unlike the very unreputable ones reporting on Oliver)

• Like 1

If we can land Houston, Cumming as a FA and maybe even split our first pick for two first rounders this year provided we think the top 20 is deep enough, it could totally transform our best 22 in 2025.

Probably means we finish outside the 8 to get a top 10 pick that can be split.

Alternatively, Houston, Cumming and a top 10 draft pick young mid is pretty exciting too.

I'd back us to trade back into the first round in 2025.

Edited by Binmans PA

49 minutes ago, MrFreeze said:

2 firsts is steep, perhaps okay if we get a 2nd coming back our way.

Half back flank is one of the most important positions on the ground. As we try to play a more transition style game, elite skills of HB make this possible. It also allows McVee to play midfield time next year. 

The cost may be expensive but what this recruitment enables is very exciting. 

I’m not sure why everyone thinks Judd McVee goes to the midfield any time soon.

We have no one else who can lock down on the dangerous small forwards and he’s very important to our ground ball game in the defensive half

• Like 4
  • Clap 1

On 25/07/2024 at 21:03, ANG13 said:

I love the idea of getting Houston but I am not sure our list is in a good enough position to be giving up first round draft picks. I feel like we need to be loading up on first rounders the next couple of years. I guess we might yet trade a player to get another first round selection. Interesting  and incredibly important times ahead for the list management team. 

Good post and sums up how I feel about this too.

We can all see the cliff - does a very good half back stop us falling off it? Probably not.

I have very little faith in Tim Lamb. Seems to be shrewd enough with re-signings, but his work at the trade table has been so poor. In terms of experienced recruits, we are still living off the work of Josh Mahoney and Todd Viney.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, spirit of norm smith said:

I agree wholeheartedly Norm he's a good footballer that's worth 1 but not 2 first rounders.

To give up 2x 1st rounders he has to be 24-25 years of age and a KPP like with Lever.

He's not even a key position player and is 27 years of age.

Let's not do a Crom and pay 2x 1st round draft picks for a 28 year old Bryce Gibbs, because thats essentially what we will be doing.

It's has destroyed Adelaide's list demographic up until this point, unless a player trade is involved I wouldn't be gifting 2x 1st rounders.

Edited by YesitwasaWin4theAges
  • Like 1