POSTGAME: Rd 13 vs Collingwood

23 minutes ago, titan_uranus said:

Not really though, last week was all about the annihilation we received in contest, clearance and territory.

Just looking at the stats, we only fixed part of that today. +22 in CPs is improvement but -10 in clearance to a side missing De Goey, Mitchell and Pendlebury is bad, and -3 inside 50s is just as bad given we know we spent the week focusing on contest, clearance and territory.

Even half decent KFs win the occasional 50/50 battle and kick the odd goal TU.

Petty just doesn't.  He was even rag dolled in a 1 v1 against a 4 gamer on the wing at one point today.

Not having a go at Turner as he's a bare boned rookie, especially as a forward.

This fail is entirely on Goodwin for stubbornly continuing to play a guy who was never in any form for over two months and was brought back from injury severly under done and clearly not ready to play at VFL level let alone AFL level.

Playing Turner again is another massive fail after last week.

The entire season wasted through stubburness, stupidity, a team bereft of skills, run and below AFL standard pressure almost every week bar the Cartlon game.

That's at least 50% on the coach.

Edited by Demon Dynasty
  • Like 3

10 minutes ago, david_neitz_is_my_dad said:

Pathetic response. Really believed we would come out and show some ticker, was horribly wrong. Looks like we are finished, that was Collingwood’s 3rd string side btw

It just proves there are problems behind the scenes that we don’t know about. 
Problems that cannot be fixed by the current employees. 

• Like 3
  • Love 1

31 minutes ago, praha said:

Inaccurate has nothing to do with it. 

Our shots are from the pockets. Collingwood kicks theirs from direcrly in front. We have a shot directly in front from 50 and hit a target on the pocket. Daicos slots his from 55 out directly in front.

Exactly right - you could point to 5 shots hitting the post, but all were from the pocket.

• Like 2

There is nothing worse than losing to Collingwood, but putting up an effort like that after what they did to Gus really hurts, it feels like the soul of the club is gone, the players don't seem to want to actually fight anymore.

• Like 9

There's very little to take out of this game. I'm hearing that the effort was there. Though that's arguable that it was there for 4 quarters I would damn well expect it and in no way is it a pass mark after the utter garbage we saw last week. 

Tom MacDonald, Jacob Van Rooyen who at least presented, Maxy. Not many after that.

Stats were relatively even so this was a scores from turnover loss. We sucked.

• Like 2

I'm not writing Clarry off. He is doing what he can off 2 weeks of preseason. He should never have played round 0, and probably should have had a good 4-6 weeks during the season to get himself fit. But the FD that itself when Gus was ruled out. If he gets a full preseason next year, and stay on the rails, he'll be ok.

I'm more concerned about some of our older players. TMac has been good but will have zero interest in going again if we are [censored]. May looks like the end is near, and so does Viney. Those three out, plus Petty at the end of the year, and really no-one to replace them. Swallow hasn't come on, and Tholstrup is a while away, if he makes it.

We are in a big hole and without our own 2nd rounder this year. It's going to be hard to rebuild quickly.

• Like 4

It was obvious that our kicking for goal cost us the game, but constantly turning over the ball to collingwood with poor handpasses, kicks, etc enabled them to kick that winning score. Players were handballing over the head at times only to give it to collingwood players. our chasing and tacking is poor, always has been we try to play the zone game which means hedge the guy in instead of trying to tackle, the list of things we did wrong today is pretty long. sadly i dont see any real remedy. Max tried, ANB did pretty well all things considered, rivers and Roo were good and while Kozzie and Fritter tried they did not really do what was needed in the end and that was score lots of goal. if we go into our game with North playing like this we are a good chance to lose that game to. Oliver probably needs a rest to get out from all of the attention and pressure.

Everyone talks up our midfield as being so good, that is long past. while i love max his ruckwork seems to go to the opposition far more than our own players. i think this is a worse lose than the freo, collingwood is playing half a vlf side and they kicked out butts, regardless of the fact that we had more scoring shots etc. the end result is what counts. 

2 minutes ago, Ted Lasso said:

There is nothing worse than losing to Collingwood, but putting up an effort like that after what they did to Gus really hurts, it feels like the soul of the club is gone, the players don't seem to want to actually fight anymore.

Guarantee Maynard will get Coaches votes too. He's the only one who seemed to provide a response from the last game, and it was to [censored] us over again

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Tom Dyson said:

i'll save a post about the game until later but by gee Collingwood fans have sunk to a new low. 

The absolutely vile stuff being said about angus and the championing of maynard made me sick and also just very sad. 

Genuine waste of oxygen, the lot of them. 

This is why I didn't go today. I knew I wouldn't be able to keep it together when I heard what that rabble said once Maynard copped a few boos, as if they don't boo everyone all the time for anything. 

Since Covid, crowds have felt more aggressive and less friendly. I really do think its time for club-based seating as an option in the decent seats, not just behind the goals in a non-enforced way.

• Like 5

Glad I didn't watch the game but feel for those who had to watch that [censored].

2021 seems like a flash in the pan.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Billy said:

That is the dumbest comment ever to come out of Demonland & that’s saying something. Yes he’s had issues of late, but he’s a four time B&F winner.

Remember not long ago there was talk about him becoming one of the best ever Demons

Wake up & grow up, ya big baby

Dumbest comment ever? 

He hardly trained over the summer 

He rocked up to training camp late “not fit to train” and was sent home….

His off season dragged the club through the mud.

Yet the club just let him walk into the 22 for round 0. Not completing the work, and it’s bloody showing now. 

Is that the kind of character you want at your club? Let alone being one of the leaders and highest paid? 

• Like 2
  • Clap 1
  • Thinking 1

16 minutes ago, DemonWA said:

This won't be a popular post but I thought the lads had a real crack. I'm not angry or disappointed because aside from finishing off infront of goal I thought the game was an improvement from Freo. We're a bottom of the 8 sort of side this year for a few reasons

Technically..  Yes

Bit like ....only half dead today

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, david_neitz_is_my_dad said:

Oliver's worst game too? Most of his disposals set up Collingwood goals

Yes he has little impact.  Gets it.  Kicks to nothing or no one.  Helicopter mongrel punts.  Or a floating handballs to players under worse pressure.  Love Clarry as a heart and soul but decisions and skills are D grade right now.  Coaches need to coach him.  Yes coach.  

• Like 2
  • Clap 1

8 minutes ago, layzie said:

There's very little to take out of this game. I'm hearing that the effort was there. Though that's arguable that it was there for 4 quarters I would damn well expect it and in no way is it a pass mark after the utter garbage we saw last week. 

Tom MacDonald, Jacob Van Rooyen who at least presented, Maxy. Not many after that.

Stats were relatively even so this was a scores from turnover loss. We sucked.

Mcdonald, Max, JVR, Pickett and to some degree Rivers were were the only highlights for me.

• Like 6

People think the effort was there?

we played with intense desire for about 7-10 minutes in the 3rd. did you feel it? when the crowd got involved. 

aside from that we tried a bit. but no where near level needed

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, dazzledavey36 said:

Mcdonald, Max, JVR, Pickett and to some degree Rivers were were the only highlights for me.

Yep. I did like the way Rivers at least wanted to take the game on when we were 5 goals down. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Mickey said:

I'm not writing Clarry off. He is doing what he can off 2 weeks of preseason. He should never have played round 0, and probably should have had a good 4-6 weeks during the season to get himself fit. But the FD that itself when Gus was ruled out. If he gets a full preseason next year, and stay on the rails, he'll be ok.

I'm more concerned about some of our older players. TMac has been good but will have zero interest in going again if we are [censored]. May looks like the end is near, and so does Viney. Those three out, plus Petty at the end of the year, and really no-one to replace them. Swallow hasn't come on, and Tholstrup is a while away, if he makes it.

We are in a big hole and without our own 2nd rounder this year. It's going to be hard to rebuild quickly.

A sensible, but still alarming post. I agree with this 100%. Don't forget the cliff could come for Max at any moment too, similar to the way it has for May. May still looked elite up until about a month ago. Age can catch up to any player quickly. Max is 32. 

In hindsight we should not have been throwing away our second rounders last year like expired coupons just to upgrade our first rounder slightly, when Tholstrup was probably going to be there at our original pick anyway. 

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, gs77 said:

We'll have a good firdt round draft pick then.

I hear there's a good undersized back flanker available in the top 10 this draft. We should pounce.

• Haha 5

2 minutes ago, DubDee said:

People think the effort was there?

we played with intense desire for about 7-10 minutes in the 3rd. did you feel it? when the crowd got involved. 

aside from that we tried a bit. but no where near level needed

Effort also extends to very small things like sticking tackles that you should stick and applying enough energy to kick or even handball over an opposition player 1 metre away from you. The number of lazy skill errors was embarrassing and cost us dearly.

I know a lot of people think effort is just getting your head over the ball and going in hard but there's much more.

• Like 2
  • Clap 2