PREGAME: Rd 11 vs St. Kilda

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Tolstoys Nudge said:

Club hopefully agree.. strange but I have a feeling Hunter is gonna play well, don’t ask me why!

Noticed Tim Membrane is mercifully lining up for Sandy. Not named as an emergency? Will await final teams and tactical sub with a sense of trepidation. Kent Kingsley’s ghost lingers out there in the ether somewhere.

Speaking of the literary spirit world there’s a few hovering about DL. Hemingway, Mariel much preferred admittedly. Tolstoy, War and Peace reading it the once was quite the chore. Has the sequel has commenced?

TN given the love for # 12 are you moonlighting as Lachie’s manager or caddy?

Edited by Tarax Club
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Tolstoys Nudge said:

That’s just completely untrue! Hunter role totally different, and has been working back form several soft-tissue injuries — it’s apples and oranges! AMW atm doesn’t have AFL Level disposal or running patterns but is def closing in. Hunter has merely been used at VFL level as a tune-up for his AFL return. Some players just don’t play well at VFL level and vice-versa, Hunter a proven AFL level player, so this comment just isn’t quite right in my opinion and humble one at that.

Maybe you should change your moniker to Hunter's Mate 🤣🤣🤣.

Seriously AMW got 95 DT points last game to Hunter's 46.

Hunter was terrible & doesn't deserve a promotion on last week's effort unless he was unwell or injured.

• Clap 1

2 hours ago, Tolstoys Nudge said:

Hunter is a much stronger defensive runner, and has a very astute footy IQ. In modern game, turnover is crucial — Hunter is one the best exponents we have in terms of helping create turnover by being in the right places and putting pressure on in a more implied way, as well as being physical around the contest, he does lots of deft touches, ground-handballs etc that help us in transitioning the ball effectively which is crucial in punishing turnover. He also has a good i50 brain with angles and finishes better than Billings as well. Proven AFL level exponent where his impact can’t always be measured, as even pressure acts don’t quite showcase his importance in this area and in his defensive running patterns that are extremely effective. 

I think this is a very good summary of his strengths. He is a great endurance runner but lacks burst and can rush his disposals, kicking especially. But we clearly lacked the defensive positioning last week so I think he'll fill a big role this week.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Cranky Franky said:

Hunter was terrible & doesn't deserve a promotion on last week's effort unless he was unwell or injured.

AMW’s stats/DT score I assume excite unless you watched the game. 16 of his 24 kicks were play ons from kicking out. He had limited impact. For the record Hunter was poor. The only reason he is being promoted is Billings confidence is shot with the ball and particularly in front of goal. Would be disappointed if Hunter is in the starting 22. 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, MrFreeze said:

But we clearly lacked the defensive positioning last week so I think he'll fill a big role this week.

"lacked the defensive positioning" - what sort of nonsense is that !!

We were beaten 'cause WC were more desperate & aggressive, spanked us at centre bounces & we were innafective in attack & Darling & Waterman pantsed our defence.

We had maybe 3 or 4 good players all game.

• Like 1
  • Clap 1

7 minutes ago, Cranky Franky said:

We were beaten 'cause WC were more desperate & aggressive, spanked us at centre bounces & we were innafective in attack & Darling & Waterman pantsed our defence.

Did not watch but listened to WA comments. 3 or 4 good players.  Yes about sums it up well.   Hated listening to their drivel but was all I could do

36 minutes ago, Cranky Franky said:

Absolutely, they whooped us in a number of areas, especially centre bounces. But we missed Langdon bad, and with Brown they just waltzed the ball outside d50. Players like hunter will clog up the ground and it make much harder for the opposition to move the ball.

• Like 1

Our team looks good on paper but like last week I am worried about this one again…..we’re playing an older and slightly slower side will we have enough run to match the Saints? They aren’t all they good but they are stacked with runners….

14 minutes ago, ANG13 said:

I personally would like seeing younger players getting a game in front of Hunter. 

Disagree -  Hunter is hard at the contest and has some footy smarts. If hes in form he deserves a run. People write him off because he's a long term bulldog so they're not emotionally invested in him. Same with Billings. 

Hope McAdam gets a bit more love from the fans than the other 2

• Clap 1

31 minutes ago, MrFreeze said:

Absolutely, they whooped us in a number of areas, especially centre bounces. 

#Demon myths

We smashed them from centre clearances:

Summary

Category Score Against Diff
Kick-in 0.0.0 0.0.0 +0
Centre Bounce 4.1.25 1.1.7 +18
Stoppage (Other) 5.1.31 4.4.28 +3

• Shocked 1

4 hours ago, Tolstoys Nudge said:

I actually have same thought but then 50/50 between Hunter and Windsor as Sub as Windsor starts games well.. Hunter not running hard at Casey etc as reported by @georgeontheouter drastically overstated, he played his role & just didn’t get near it enough & I had a feeling he’d be close to selection and was told as such. He adds some much-needed cheek and mongrel for mine!

My preference would also be to run Windsor off the HFFlk as a utility, centreing the ball, using pace to set up deeper forwards, creating wider, open spaces ahead, beside, behind and central to his lines or otherwise of attack and game play.

We are in the midst of a slump and I doubt Goodwin has the coaching nuance to coach us out of it this week.

The writing has been on the wall for our forward structure for quite some time and he's even admitted that this week is going to be a "slog". You just know that means we'll score 60 points and some potato for St Kilda will kick a career high 5+ goals in a game-winning performance for them.

The longer it takes Goodwin and his team to realise that Fritsch should be played as an isolated key forward that can kick 50-60 goals a year ala Jack Reiwoldt, the longer we will be a middling finals and mid-table team.

Goodwin badly needs to reinvent how this team is coached and plays otherwise he risks turning into Ross Lyon 2.0 or Ken Hinkley 2.0. I'm willing to bet it won't happen this week and St Kilda paying $3+ is ridiculously good money. An underperforming good team is an easier beat, than an average team in the midst of a slump looking for a win.

• Like 2
  • Clap 1

11 minutes ago, praha said:

The longer it takes Goodwin and his team to realise that Fritsch should be played as an isolated key forward that can kick 50-60 goals a year ala Jack Reiwoldt, the longer we will be a middling finals and mid-table team.

Definitely worth a thought. I can also see Kozzie racing from the 75 metre mark in to assist leaving the backman in his wake.

Tactically though can you kill this set up by positioning a Lever type player at 50 who will just close down the forward kick.

We could trial it at Casey. Last week we often had zero forwards when we got a rebound as they had all pushed up the ground

Posted (edited)
22 minutes ago, praha said:

We are in the midst of a slump and I doubt Goodwin has the coaching nuance to coach us out of it this week.

The writing has been on the wall for our forward structure for quite some time and he's even admitted that this week is going to be a "slog". You just know that means we'll score 60 points and some potato for St Kilda will kick a career high 5+ goals in a game-winning performance for them.

Goodwin badly needs to reinvent how this team is coached and plays otherwise he risks turning into Ross Lyon 2.0 or Ken Hinkley 2.0. I'm willing to bet it won't happen this week and St Kilda paying $3+ is ridiculously good money. An underperforming good team is an easier beat, than an average team in the midst of a slump looking for a win.

ridiculous assessment

for starters, he's got one thing as a coach that lyon and hinkley don't have

goodwin has thrown multiple different ideas at the wall to modify our forward structure - i presume you give him zero credit for doing so, seeing as you don't think he's changed things many times throughout his coaching tenure

not to misquote @binman but it's #demonlandmyths that he's doesn't have any 'coaching nuance'

Edited by whatwhat say what
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Clap 1

31 minutes ago, praha said:

Fritsch averages 50-60 goals a year and is on track for it again this year

• Like 2

1 hour ago, DemonWA said:

Disagree -  Hunter is hard at the contest and has some footy smarts. If hes in form he deserves a run. People write him off because he's a long term bulldog so they're not emotionally invested in him. Same with Billings. 

Yeah fair enough, definitely lots of different opinions on Hunter. 

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Cranky Franky said:

100% Cranky.  This is why players like Moniz end up moving on and potentially getting a gig at senior level elsewhere.

They play their hearts out over and over including some performances that warrant a call up in a few consecutive matches.

Experienced fringe player comimg back from long term injury and trying to build some fitness / form then plays a few games without doing much at all, looking somewhat disinterested but somehow gets a recall.

Selection integrity is an integral part of a club's culture.  Unfortunately it hasn't been there for us of late.

Very dissapointing decision.

Surely Choco is seeing the inequity here??  Would be great if he could speak up and highlight this.  No doubt Richo is on the SC but if Choco isn't also there advising of Casey players' form and fitness he should be imo.

Edited by Demon Dynasty
  • Clap 1

2 hours ago, DemonWA said:

Do you serious think that fans don’t like Hunter and Billings and may not take to McAdam because they are recycled?

Do you mean like May Lever Langdon BBB?

1 hour ago, praha said:

Certainly it would seem a good tactic to try to isolate #31 deep forward by getting other players to lead fast and wide.  He is fast and a good mark.  Has it been tried?

3 hours ago, binman said:

#Demon myths

We smashed them from centre clearances:

Summary

Category Score Against Diff
Kick-in 0.0.0 0.0.0 +0
Centre Bounce 4.1.25 1.1.7 +18
Stoppage (Other) 5.1.31 4.4.28 +3

I completely forgot about this, indeed we scored huge numbers from stoppage and ran dry on scores from turn over. Maybe Goody is turning the game plan around already 🤔

• Haha 2

Well you can bet on one thing the saints will look to switch the ball around and will play through Hill for the outside run, so will be interesting to see how we go about it.

2 hours ago, MrFreeze said:

I completely forgot about this, indeed we scored huge numbers from stoppage and ran dry on scores from turn over. Maybe Goody is turning the game plan around already 🤔

Easy to do, such is the power of the Demon myth spell.