• IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

POSTGAME: Rd 07 vs Richmond

I reckon our forward line just needs a strong leader to guide and organise during play much like we have in the backline. I wouldn’t be surprised if the other backs refer to them as Mr. Lever and Mr. May.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, dazzledavey36 said:

Thought Abby Holmes handled the interview well.

Thank [censored] Luke Darcy wasn't the one that interviewed.  Would have gone as well as his Kane Cornes interview. 

Abby is very good interviewing players and I think he has built up the trust with them. 

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Mike said:

Agreed. I had the same thought with Petty as well. He looks like he just needs a short spell with Casey, just to get some touch back. I dont think it'll take much.

Yes i reckon it's a must for Petty now Mike.

Goody has certainly given him plenty of chances to improve and perform. 

However, sometimes a player just needs to reset and find the fitness & belief again at the lower level.

Seen it work so many times before and no reason why it wouldn't for Harry.

Personally i think it's mostly (60% - 80%) a match fitness issue with the remainder above the shoulders.

A few matches under his belt with some more time and space to execute at Casey, the belief should start to return again and then the confidence and results should (in theory) follow.

The other concern you have to ask...

Has his mind / heart already left the building IF he knows he is moving on at year's end?

That's not to say he's intentionally doing this.  But if he's made the decision to do so, surely must be playing on his mind... possibly even "in game" at times?

If that's the case then a spell at Casey is a non-negotiable.  And as a coach you must ask him the committment question (without asking the question) by doing so.

And what i mean by committment is "are you capable of putting that all behind you and performing at your very best each week for the remainder of your tenure?"

If so all good.  But seeing is believing.

Of course he may be staying and all of that means diddly squat and it's purely a fitness/form/belief issue.

Only time will tell

Edited by Demon Dynasty
  • Like 2

15 minutes ago, DeeMee said:

I reckon our forward line just needs a strong leader to guide and organise during play much like we have in the backline. I wouldn’t be surprised if the other backs refer to them as Mr. Lever and Mr. May.

I do understand where you are coming and they are outstanding leaders but our forwards constantly push so high up the ground that they are standing next to Mr Lever and Mr May. That is not leadership that is structure. 

Edited by Dee Viney Intervention

12 hours ago, Bitter but optimistic said:

We'll take the 4 points but , sorry to say it , that was [censored] woeful !!!

I lost count of turnovers at about 500.

We must do better than that !

It was woeful because we all know that we can do better than that.

To see stars and reputable players kick and handball like many of them did was horrible.

Don't agree with Dunstall often but he referred to our team as in a malaise. 

Although we played better in the last we still looked off.

Let's face it, if it was a top eight team the scores would have been reversed.

This is a top four team of the last three years. I honestly don't understand how we can play like we have in  the previous two games.

But last night was much worse than the lions game.

How do players like Tracc, Viney and even Lever and Max just kick under no pressure  straight to opposite players?

I thought Oliver was good despite a few hack kicks. At least he got the ball.

Max. Always solid 

The backline saved us big time.

And wowee what a gem we have in Turner.

I'm genuinely interested in views as to how we were so bad. The handballing at times was so errant it looked as if nobody wanted the ball.

There were  over a dozen premiership players from three years ago . It's hard to explain. 

An anomaly that maybe can't be explained ?

You have a good football brain BBO....what happened?

17 minutes ago, DeeMee said:

Off the field that's Melk at the moment.

BBB probably provides some guidance when he's in the side?

Agree though.  An on field / in game forward line leader / general has been lacking for us when Melk's out of the team.

Edited by Demon Dynasty
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Bombay Airconditioning said:

Oh wow, this is a serious post. My wife said the same thing, she’s been following Melbourne and the sport as a whole for 8 years. I’m not trying to be disrespectful but Mel Bourne’s post was hardly visionary, what Melbourne did last night was what we do just about every time we play a team we should put away. I posted we should be aiming to win each qtr by 4 goals, because that’s what I believe a team of our calibre should be doing, when we play a bottom 4 team with 6 of its best players missing. 

Had Mel Bourne or anyone else told me last week to load up on the Eagles, well then I’d be sitting up taking notice.

And while I’m going to all the posters / commentators who continue to roll out the Yze / McQualter factor played its part last night. This is the nearly the most scrutinised / analysed game in the world, with stats, graphs or heat maps for just about everything. Clubs have coaches whose sole job is to study the opposition. All clubs know what other clubs are going to do 99% of the time.

C’mon, let me have my moment. 😉

• Like 1
  • Haha 7

4 hours ago, Go Lordie said:

Jackson was an above average second ruck. JVR is nowhere near Jacko. JVR really needs to do more. He's not clunking marks (he's a two-grabber and that makes it easier to spoil), not kicking goals, not even flattening a few opposition players. Why is he there? Answer: there's no-one else. 

He’s a second year key forward progressing at a rate comparable to many great key forwards over the years. He’s there developing and doing so in a messy but pleasing fashion

• Like 6

21 minutes ago, Demon Dynasty said:

Yes i reckon it's a must for Petty now Mike.

Goody has certainly given him plenty of chances to improve and perform. 

However, sometimes a player just needs to reset and find the fitness & belief again at the lower level.

We have almost zero midfield these days at Casey so it's not exactly a place for a forward to regain form. We also have a number of competing NQR forwards at Casey. (Fullarton, Jefferson BBB) plus McAdam who's going ok.

If you really insist that he go to Casey he'd be better at CHB from a practice viewpoint

• Like 1

Is TMac "one goat"? Seriously, one shanked kick trying to create attack through the corridor in a season of excellence so far and some people are calling for his head. He played well again last night too.

I thought Woey was good and I'm pretty sure he'll make it. He's very strong, nails his tackles - ask Dusty, and he's got a bit of toe.  Part of a great back seven with Salem and Bowey out.

ANB was great again last night, he's everywhere and has somehow become hard to tackle - an amazing transformation. He also sticks his tackles which he didn't used to.

Lingers is back to his motoring best.

We're a work in progress with a lot of youth in our side and it's an interesting season. Heaven help us if Max gets injured though - what an awesome player and captain - the best in the league IMO.

• Like 12
  • Love 3

10 hours ago, Young Blood said:

I understand the logic to a point. We're generally looking to make the opposition turn the ball over in the middle and on the wings where there is space to rebound and hopefully kick to a more open forward line, sure. But I don't think any forward whose in the vicinity of an opposition player disposing of the ball should just 'let them advance up the ground'. I'm sure you didn't mean this in that way. I'd just like to see better intensity when there's opportunity to force the opposition the hack the ball out of defence as apposed to clean chains of ball movement which is happening too often.

No matter how good our team defence is further up the ground. More strings to our bow! We need to score in multiple ways and if we can cause opposition mistakes deep in forward 50 we should still be trying to turn them into scores.

I think the new game plan is great with trying to create more spaces in forward 50 but its just not realistic that we will be able to do this consistently in every game. We will need to play the forward half pressure game still at times depending on matchups, weather, fatigue etc.

No, I agree. I think it's really important that we don't allow the handball receive from our back half, because that quick ball movement has the potential to cut us (or any team) up.

But I don't think we mind allowing the chip play off our kick out, but we do mind the run and carry out of our A50. Which is why Kozzy's pace is so important in combination with Chandler and ANB.

But I also agree that if possible turning the ball over in our forward half way gives us a good chance to score too, although often these shots are pressured snap shots.

Edited by Binmans PA
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Binmans PA said:
11 hours ago, Doug Reemer said:

Why? We're 5 and 2, and it has little to do with centre clearance numbers...

If we let Carlton waltz it out of the middle to Curnow and McKay it won’t be 23-24 at half time.

It’ll be 23-76

We also couldn’t hit the side of a barn when we did turn it over last night, can’t blame fatigue like against the lions.

• Like 2

Have read through about half post game thread and it is a pleasure not to see any critisism of the umpires.

It is just possible there may be some comment on the Richmond fan forums.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

22 minutes ago, Diamond_Jim said:

We have almost zero midfield these days at Casey so it's not exactly a place for a forward to regain form. We also have a number of competing NQR forwards at Casey. (Fullarton, Jefferson BBB) plus McAdam who's going ok.

If you really insist that he go to Casey he'd be better at CHB from a practice viewpoint

There is that conundrum DJ.  BBB would probably have to be managed to fit him in.  McAdam comes in this week or goes around once more at Casey?

We played four talls at Casey over the weekend which was two too many already imv.

Mid field stocks very ordinary.

CHB it might need to be.  He needs to get some touches.  Cold as a wet fish playing in the seniors up forward at present. 

Edited by Demon Dynasty
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, old55 said:

Is TMac "one goat"? Seriously, one shanked kick trying to create attack through the corridor in a season of excellence so far and some people are calling for his head. He played well again last night too.

I thought Woey was good and I'm pretty sure he'll make it. He's very strong, nails his tackles - ask Dusty, and he's got a bit of toe.  Part of a great back seven with Salem and Bowey out.

Was more than one bad kick from Tom, he doesn’t put air under the ball so a lot of his under pressure exit kicks get picked off. Has to adapt that quickly, and he’s another non or poor handballer. Still playing ok though, but needs to keep improving.

I liked Woey’s tackling and general effort. Especially his preparedness to quickly counter run, unlike some of our backline who stand like statues when they win the ball back.

But he had moments caught in transition just watching his opponent  rather than hitting top speed immediately and he’s not quick enough to make ground, especially as he tired. Skills/vision aren’t great either.

I’d go with Hore next week who is a far more experienced defender.

And get Taj back to full time mid at Casey. Two full games down back have been good for him adding strings as a utility, but mid/wing/forward is probably more his future.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Bimbo said:

Have read through about half post game thread and it is a pleasure not to see any critisism of the umpires.

It is just possible there may be some comment on the Richmond fan forums.

Struggling sides give away or don’t get free kicks because they don’t play the percentages. We used to whinge about it when we were [censored].

9 hours ago, Skuit said:

I get your point. But I'm in full demonstone mode trying to work out where you plucked your example numbers from? 

Sorry, don't follow skuit

The consensus is we played poorly. Yet we still won by 43 points.

People seem to equate high scoring with playing well. As if defending brilliantly and keeping a team to 42 points should not be factored into the assessment.

And that running up a high score is be some sort of evidence of our ability to be competitive with teams that are supposedly the benchmark

So i just picked a random score that would be considered a decent score, but still with a 43 point winning margin.

A result that whilst be sexier and a nice sugar hit for fans, would have been less help to our actual chances of say making top 4 because we would  have got less percentage than we did.

The most effective way to build percentage (which is the goal of h&a games - not to look great on offence) is win by a decent margin (eg 43 points) AND keep the opposition to as low a score as possible. Tick, tick last  night

In case people didn't get the memo, goody is not a believer in his premiership coach's (blight) offence first philosophy of attacking and scoring as much as possible.

Goody's philosophy defence first and keeping the opposition under a benchmark score (each year there is a target score). 

And go from there (which this year had included trying to create space in our forward line to be more 'efficient' - something we did absolutely brilliantly last night).

No coincidence goody emphasised in the post match pressure the score we kept them to.

But, in any case, yes our kicking was woeful in rhe first half but as ive noted we piled on 10 goals in the second half (to their two).

So plenty of sugar hits for the goals is proof of excellence crew.

The game goes for 4 quarters, not two.

Sure knock our performance in the first half, but extrapolating that to the whole game does us a massive disservice.

We haven't kicked 10 or more goals in a second half since July last year, when we kicked 12 second half goals against the tigers.

I didn't go further back than that, but I can't imagine we have kicked 10 or more goals in a half that many times in the last couple of seasons (or plys 8 goals), or at all under Goody for that matter.

And it's not as if we were playing the roos or eagles.

The tigers were undermanned and butchered the ball, but as yze noted (and as evidenced by the stats, eg pressure, cps, tackles) their pressure and contest was excellent all game.

It was no walk over, and implying it was disrespects the tigers performance - and ours by extension.

Edited by binman
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

One thing I’m sick of hearing is about undermanned Tigers. We are also missing from our end of year list, Brayshaw, Smith (both done i Know) Bowey, Salem. All best 22 last year. We are also a little light on, considering 3 or possibly 4 of those are defenders. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
  • Vomit 1

1 hour ago, DeeMee said:

But who? Fritta maybe.