Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

PRESEASON TRAINING: Closed Sessions at Casey until 2024

Demonland

17 minutes ago, Queanbeyan Demon said:

Makes sense it's behind locked doors. Cos the rest of the comp has know idea about our ineptitude inside F50.

Now we know we have no idea 🙂

• Like 1

1 hour ago, D Rev said:

It's a reflection of how many games we have to play next year.  Injury and fitness are more important than ever.

I think La Dee-vina is wondering what Ralphy finds so exciting about Dees vs Blues in particular. I too wonder what’s so remarkable about this matchup that it warrants not one but two exclamation marks. 

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Bitter but optimistic said:

'Closed sessions' mean nothing to our intrepid Pulitzer Prize winning reporter @picket fence !!!

Spying Dont Look GIF by Nickelodeon

THE MAN FROM UNCLE

Edited by Tarax Club
  • Haha 8

10 hours ago, Earl Hood said:

Yes let’s hope so. Although my observations, admittedly from when I was a regular track watcher, say up to 2020, the training day game plan practised didn’t always resemble the game day plan executed! At practice at least when I was there, the ball movement is constant and players are taking every opportunity & risk to switch play to find the next target forward. It’s great to watch at practice and for a sublime period of time in the second half of 2021 it appeared in all its beauty on successive game days right up to the GF win! 

Since then it’s been long stretches in games of one dimensional down the line delivery, muscling it over the boundary then push slowly forward, bombing it in to a crowded forward line but I am sure they still move the ball sublimely at practice. 

Well I hope they change the game plan the last 2 years of it was our down fall.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Demon3165 Was it our game plan or our inability to implement it, ie, take advantage of all those extra I50’s that we generated  but failed to capitalise on, we’re the misses due to fatigue opposition pressure or missing talent.? Bringing in McQualter plus additional quality forwards should smarten up our F50 entries.!

Edited by DeeZone
Added new talent
  • Like 5
  • Thinking 1

11 hours ago, DeeZone said:

Demon3165 Was it our game plan or our inability to implement it, ie, take advantage of all those extra I50’s that we generated  but failed to capitalise on, we’re the misses due to fatigue opposition pressure or missing talent.? Bringing in McQualter plus additional quality forwards should smarten up our F50 entries.!

In 21 the game plan was contested football bring the ball down boundary side contest to contest worked well, we then went into 22 with the same plan and if you look it up I said after i think it was round 10 we would not win the flag with that forward set up said the same thing about not winning the flag in 23, sides figured us out but we kept doing the same thing. 

Which brings me to your second point we did not have any contested forwards to play that type of game plan regarding forward entries, so if it was our inability to execute the game plan who's fault is it then as they say the definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result, remember we 69 entries into the forward line against the pies to 37 what does that tell you?

Whilst adding Billings, Fullerton and McAdam should help I hope Goodwin changes how we move the ball forward I also hope he uses Kossie in a different way and by that I mean like the pies used Hill and Elliot, he goes no further than the half forward line full stop and then leads back and stop trying to take mark of the year all the time.

We have a great backline strong midfield but need an outside runner as we are one paced there, Langdon and Hunter need to get away from playing boundary side and create more inside run. but thats the game plan at the moment and I hope it changes and i'm sure it will.

In closing we create enough forward entries to win games but need to change how we go about it to win the next flag.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Clap 1

32 minutes ago, demon3165 said:

In 21 the game plan was contested football bring the ball down boundary side contest to contest worked well, we then went into 22 with the same plan and if you look it up I said after i think it was round 10 we would not win the flag with that forward set up said the same thing about not winning the flag in 23, sides figured us out but we kept doing the same thing. 

Which brings me to your second point we did not have any contested forwards to play that type of game plan regarding forward entries, so if it was our inability to execute the game plan who's fault is it then as they say the definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result, remember we 69 entries into the forward line against the pies to 37 what does that tell you?

Whilst adding Billings, Fullerton and McAdam should help I hope Goodwin changes how we move the ball forward I also hope he uses Kossie in a different way and by that I mean like the pies used Hill and Elliot, he goes no further than the half forward line full stop and then leads back and stop trying to take mark of the year all the time.

We have a great backline strong midfield but need an outside runner as we are one paced there, Langdon and Hunter need to get away from playing boundary side and create more inside run. but thats the game plan at the moment and I hope it changes and i'm sure it will.

In closing we create enough forward entries to win games but need to change how we go about it to win the next flag.

It tells me that we didn't have a forward line. We lost Petty and Melky before the finals, and we lost Gus in the first few minutes, so Tracc was forced to play more minutes in the midfield rather than take a leading role forward. It got worse for the Carlton game when we lost JVR. If these players had been available, I think we would have defeated the Pies and we would not be having this conversation about our gameplan.

• Like 6
  • Clap 3

30 minutes ago, djr said:

It tells me that we didn't have a forward line. We lost Petty and Melky before the finals, and we lost Gus in the first few minutes, so Tracc was forced to play more minutes in the midfield rather than take a leading role forward. It got worse for the Carlton game when we lost JVR. If these players had been available, I think we would have defeated the Pies and we would not be having this conversation about our gameplan.

Good teams make changes and by the way we didn't beat the pies and we are.

Edited by demon3165
  • Sad 1

6 minutes ago, demon3165 said:

Good teams make changes and by the way we didn't beat the pies and we are.

Good teams make little changes to their gameplan(s). They back their system over the opposition. That is why we don't have taggers in the game anymore. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, djr said:

Good teams make little changes to their gameplan(s). They back their system over the opposition. That is why we don't have taggers in the game anymore. 

Hate to tell you good teams make changes when they have to we one a flag in 21 and was bundled out in 22 and 23 in straight sets so do you think they will go with the exact game plan next year then?

Edited by demon3165
  • Like 1

I know I'm a bit late to the party but I've been down to a couple of training sessions including Monday's, I enjoy watching the boys do their time trials but really it's not as indicative as some might think.  Trac struggles in the time trials because of his physique but that doesn't mean anything.

The younger boys, particularly the talls struggled.  Adams and Verrell were examples of this.  Sestan is not a natural athlete but is working hard on his fitness by the look of things as is Jefferson.  For a bloke of Tomlinson's size his running is outstanding.  He ran with Nibbler until there was about a lap and a half to go and then just went.  I thought he was on his last half lap when he broke away but no.  He was so strong and was really impressive.  But that doesn't mean he's a different footballer to last year, he's just an outstanding athlete.

When I go to these sessions I'm really only interested in the young blokes because in the main that's where the improvement will come from but it's such early days it's not really realistic to take much away. But in the wet last week I was impressed with how good the ball handling was from all players.  Verrell did some impressive stuff below his knees and it just shows he's got some skills which are rare in big men.  He may be a key position player prospect as well as a ruck.  His issue is his stamina, he couldn't play ruck at AFL level purely based on not being able to get to enough contests.

McAdam is another to impress.  He's just got that magical indigenous ability to make the difficult look easy and I'm really looking forward to seeing what he can do.  But he was another struggling with his running so that will be a watch.

As others have said The Kolt has swagger but it doesn't look like arrogance to me.  And he can kick it, both distance and accuracy.  He did a really good time trial so looks to have the fitness to play early.  Windsor hasn't stood out but what he's done he's done well.  Kicking is good and ball handling is clean.  I've liked what I've seen Kynan Brown do but he's as skinny as so it will be a while before he's ready even if he's got the skills, and Marty Hore just looks at home.

I've been a track watcher for a good long time now and I well remember watching James Strauss train and thinking he could be anything.  Training form at this time of year is very problematic in terms of predicting players development but we look pretty good.

As I've read the other posters comments the common comment is "I'm looking forward to seeing *insert player* get a go this year.  The issue of course is there will be very few spots up for grabs if we have a reasonably fit list.  Billings and McAdam can both play and would be in front of the young guys. Howes and Laurie (yes, I'm still a believer) have multiple preseasons under their belt and Woey looked promising last year for a second year player.  The question is "who for". I mean how does Kolt get a go?  Who does McAdam get in for and Billings as well.  Spargo has been impressive.

This brings me to my final point.  At this time of year we have unbelievable depth with far too few spots for the players.  But when we've lost a few games it's more like "we are just swapping the deck chairs on the Titanic".

It's groundhog day.

Edited by Slartibartfast
Sorry, wrong thread, Demonland please move if you want to.
  • Like 24
  • Thanks 14
  • Love 3

1 hour ago, demon3165 said:

I went past on Monday post time trial and they did a lot of full ground transition work. It was outnumber play, but they were definitely practicing moving the ball quickly inboard through the corridor and as as another poster said, having a couple of options deep. No bombing down the line/to the pocket to be seen. It was very fun to watch.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 3

Last year we moved the ball forward to slowly so the forwards were crowded. We kept it in could not score goals and got flogged on the rebound.

Moving it forward  quickly means we need pace and precise disposal. Then we need players with skill to get away from opponents on the lead or get the ball to ground in a spot where the smalls can go to work.

So we either need players who can win the ball and kick goals in a crowed forward line or players who can move the ball forward quickly to players who can make position to receive the ball and create a goal.

The only hole in my theory is that i have no idea how to make it all work in practice. The lounge chair is pretty comfortable ATM.

Enjoy reading training watchers views on the young players coming through.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Slartibartfast said:

I know I'm a bit late to the party but I've been down to a couple of training sessions including Monday's, I enjoy watching the boys do their time trials but really it's not as indicative as some might think.  Trac struggles in the time trials because of his physique but that doesn't mean anything.

The younger boys, particularly the talls struggled.  Adams and Verrell were examples of this.  Sestan is not a natural athlete but is working hard on his fitness by the look of things as is Jefferson.  For a bloke of Tomlinson's size his running is outstanding.  He ran with Nibbler until there was about a lap and a half to go and then just went.  I thought he was on his last half lap when he broke away but no.  He was so strong and was really impressive.  But that doesn't mean he's a different footballer to last year, he's just an outstanding athlete.

When I go to these sessions I'm really only interested in the young blokes because in the main that's where the improvement will come from but it's such early days it's not really realistic to take much away. But in the wet last week I was impressed with how good the ball handling was from all players.  Verrell did some impressive stuff below his knees and it just shows he's got some skills which are rare in big men.  He may be a key position player prospect as well as a ruck.  His issue is his stamina, he couldn't play ruck at AFL level purely based on not being able to get to enough contests.

McAdam is another to impress.  He's just got that magical indigenous ability to make the difficult look easy and I'm really looking forward to seeing what he can do.  But he was another struggling with his running so that will be a watch.

As others have said The Kolt has swagger but it doesn't look like arrogance to me.  And he can kick it, both distance and accuracy.  He did a really good time trial so looks to have the fitness to play early.  Windsor hasn't stood out but what he's done he's done well.  Kicking is good and ball handling is clean.  I've liked what I've seen Kynan Brown do but he's as skinny as so it will be a while before he's ready even if he's got the skills, and Marty Hore just looks at home.

I've been a track watcher for a good long time now and I well remember watching James Strauss train and thinking he could be anything.  Training form at this time of year is very problematic in terms of predicting players development but we look pretty good.

As I've read the other posters comments the common comment is "I'm looking forward to seeing *insert player* get a go this year.  The issue of course is there will be very few spots up for grabs if we have a reasonably fit list.  Billings and McAdam can both play and would be in front of the young guys. Howes and Laurie (yes, I'm still a believer) have multiple preseasons under their belt and Woey looked promising last year for a second year player.  The question is "who for". I mean how does Kolt get a go?  Who does McAdam get in for and Billings as well.  Spargo has been impressive.

This brings me to my final point.  At this time of year we have unbelievable depth with far too few spots for the players.  But when we've lost a few games it's more like "we are just swapping the deck chairs on the Titanic".

It's groundhog day.

I agree with everything you say.  I've watched a small amount of pre season at Casey over the last few years and you see the newer guys is the various drills and you think 'how good will they be'.  Then as the pre season goes along and the match sim part of training becomes more serious the senior players continue to dominate.   The better on ballers still get the ball 30 times so leaves less opportunity for the newer guys to stand out and you realise how much further they need to improve.  But then 3 - 4 years ago Bowey, Kossie and Jackson came along and last 2 years it was JVR and McVee.   Sometimes you just don't know until a few games into the season.  But as you say they have to overtake a player already there, so only leaves a spot for 1 or 2 permanently.  Your best players have say 12 year careers. (18 to 30 years of age)  With 24 main players, mathematically that only allows for the 2 a year.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

I think this draft just passed we recruited in an area that needed strengthening for quiet some time.

Our F50 was in dire need of rejuvenation and the inclusions of McAdam, Billings, Tholstrup and Fullarton to an extent will help give that area of the ground competition for spots.

Last years finals series was a cold and brutal reminder of the need for cool heads when presented with goal kicking opportunities.

we could never capitalise on our domination in periods of games especially against better opponents, we have had very little depth in our small forward department.

Small Forwards seem to do most of the damage these days in front of goal so we went out and drafted for a specific need an area we have neglected since Kozi got drafted.

Im confident with this new injection of live wire forwards and cleaner bill of health with our forwards that it will drive us back into GF calculations.

Edited by YesitwasaWin4theAges
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Clap 1

2024 draft prospect, Harvey Langford is training with the Dee's for a week:

Harvey Langford (Dandenong Stingrays)
Midfielder/Forward | 188cm | 15/03/2006

Langford put together a stellar bottom-aged campaign with Dandenong, averaging 22 disposals and just under a goal per his 14 games. His consistency through the middle stages of the Talent League season was outstanding, standing up as a young leader in the Stingrays side. In terms of style, he’s a strong stoppage player with clean hands and the ability to impact when rotating forward.

Intrepid reporters and fence jumpers might get a glimpse if they venture out to Casey in the next week. If so, we'd love to hear from you - @stinga @picket fence @waynewussell and any others!

Edited by Roger Mellie
Clarry-fication
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 3

51 minutes ago, Red and Blue Flame said:

Anyone spotted Jed Adams at pre season training?? Yet to see him/hear about him - even last week when it was just 1- year players

45 minutes ago, Dee Zephyr said:

@WalkingCivilWar

can tell you all about it. 

Here’s the thing: Jed Adams and Harry Petty are one and the same person. True story. He/they trained well. He’s/they’re coming along nicely.

3E4C8490-7C25-404F-AFC2-2DFB3A366C5F.thumb.jpeg.3fcb4596739356412e6dc2cfb524f21d.jpeg

There’s basically just a mo separating them. Not even a mo, slightly more than bum-fluff. 

Edited by WalkingCivilWar
Added photo to back up my claim about Harry Adams/Jed Petty
  • Haha 3
  • Clap 1

45 minutes ago, Red and Blue Flame said:

Anyone spotted Jed Adams at pre season training?? Yet to see him/hear about him - even last week when it was just 1- year players

The three training threads from last week will answer your questions about Jed and indeed all of the players. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, WalkingCivilWar said:

Here’s the thing: Jed Adams and Harry Petty are one and the same person. True story. He/they trained well. He’s/they’re coming along nicely.

3E4C8490-7C25-404F-AFC2-2DFB3A366C5F.thumb.jpeg.3fcb4596739356412e6dc2cfb524f21d.jpeg

There’s basically just a mo separating them. Not even a mo, slightly more than bum-fluff. 

Jed's training and Harry isn't - still recovering from his injury.

• Like 1