Jump to content

Posting Unsubstantiated Rumours on this Website is Strictly Forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

    Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

    We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

    However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

    The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

    Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

    We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

    WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

    Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.


PREGAME: SF vs Carlton


Demonland

Recommended Posts

We played half a season without Oliver and finished top 4.  Brayshaw covered Oliver, now Oliver covers Brayshaw.  We go back to basically the same midfield we've had for half a season.  Our key forwards have been non existent all season - other than a very brief cameo from Petty.  Still most weeks we've found a way.  Wholesale change and panic moves at this time of the year almost never work. Our best bet is to play McDonald and Smith along with Fritsch, Petracca and the smalls - Pickett, ANB and Chandler/Spargo and then have Gawn and Grundy moving through there in short bursts each quarter - probably when McDonald comes off.  Nothing too radical - the catastophizing can come after the game if it needs to.  I still believe our best is more than good enough to beat everyone left in it.  And after tonight, everyone is down to their last chance, including Collingwood.  

  • Like 15
  • Thinking 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Diamond_Jim said:

The radical move is Max to the TMac position and Grundy to ruck… Max should not kick unless he has to.

In big Finals there has on occasion been unexpected selection/positional moves which have blindsided the opposition. (BMT of course!) Jack Mueller’s recall in ‘48 is the stuff of football legend. Max has goal kicking form in finals, who could forget the ‘21 Preliminary final where he gave the sCats five of the best?

Edited by Tarax Club
get Brody in!
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Roost it far said:

Waffle, we’re not playing May forward and I’m almost certain Tomlinson won’t play. We play tough, hard football every week. If you haven’t seen that already I can’t help you. 

Yeah, but in the past 3 finals, playing tough hard football hasn't got us anywhere! We cannot go with the same team this week, or it is all over. If you can't see that, I can't help you!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, fr_ap said:

? We lost most key stats to the blues when we lost to them. They play a similiar profile to us. Kicking straight is a start but won't be enough. 

Kick straight, stop Curnow, win clearance, and negate Weitering. That would do the job.

I'm with ya. And find a forward who can clunk a few. And it ain't Max, Grundy or TMac, so who is it?

Link to comment
Share on other sites


9 minutes ago, bobby1554 said:

Yeah, but in the past 3 finals, playing tough hard football hasn't got us anywhere! We cannot go with the same team this week, or it is all over. If you can't see that, I can't help you!

Firstly, you implied we hadn't be playing tough, hard football which is rubbish. Secondly we were carrying multiple injuries to some of our best players last year, plus it's last year, so hardly relevant. We'll lose JVR, likely for Grundy, which in all honesty, is a pretty damn fine swap. Don't forget Grundy's a bloody good footballer. We've lost Brayshaw and JJ is an adequate replacement. Lower the eyes, kick straight, don't panic. In all honesty I think those early goals to Collingwood and losing Brayshaw to a concussion through us off. By mid way through the second we were on top, sadly we couldn't get it done. You can run around yelling the sky is falling flapping your arms or you can knuckle down and win 3 games of football. I reckon I know what the club will do but hey after the first half of last night I was thinking Carlton will floor us so what would I know?

Edited by Roost it far
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Roost it far said:

Firstly, you implied we hadn't be playing tough, hard football which is rubbish. Secondly we were carrying multiple injuries to some of our best players last year, plus it's last year, so hardly relevant. We'll lose JVR, likely for Grundy, which in all honesty, is a pretty damn fine swap. Don't forget Grundy's a bloody good footballer. We've lost Brayshaw and JJ is an adequate replacement. Lower the eyes, kick straight, don't panic. In all honesty I think those early goals to Collingwood and losing Brayshaw to a concussion through us off. By mid way through the second we were on top, sadly we couldn't get it done. You can run around yelling the sky is falling flapping your arms or you can knuckle down and win 3 games of football. I reckon I know what the club will do but hey after the first half of last night I was thinking Carlton will floor us so what would I know?

Don't get me wrong, I was certainly not implying that we aren't tough. And if the Maynard action threw us off guard, return serve. Grundy as a forward isn't the answer, nor is Max. So selecting Grundy would be a huge mistake IMO. But on a warm dry September night we need a big marking forward

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, DubDee said:

T Mac stays in. missed 3 months and came in for a fierce contest. he’ll come good

Trac to play 80% fwd plus Fritsch will have to do. 

Unfortunately whenever we've played Tmac over the past 12 months he hasn't offered more than he did Thursday night , wouldn't be expecting much improvement.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, bandicoot said:

Carlton play Walsh, Cripps, cera and Hewitt out of the middle. 
we play viney, trac and Oliver. Brayshaw was our 4th. Not sure who does this job now? Sparrow?

Rivers 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, dazzledavey36 said:

He wasn't there to take Nibblerd spot bin.

Right now he'd be competing with Chandler and Spargo. On form alone this year he's ahead of both.

Sorry dazzler  that's not the case.

As jordon Lewis literally just said on the pre giants saints coverage - Bedford is playing the 'critical high half forward role', going on to describe the challenge of covering such players eg di you follow them up the ground etc.

I have mutiple gws people explicitly say Bedford was recruited for the 'high half forward' role

That is nibbler's role. It is a distinct role from the small, speed forward role that koz and candler play (though Chandler has had to plsy a bit of a hybrid role)

Its also spargo's role, amd i agree he be competing with him. And would be in the team too.

Only players with elite aerobic capacity can plsy the role to nibbler's level. Bedford has that capacity and has been brilliant tgis year. I wish we could have kept him

Link to comment
Share on other sites


15 minutes ago, binman said:

Sorry dazzler  that's not the case.

As jordon Lewis literally just said on the pre giants saints coverage - Bedford is playing the 'critical high half forward role', going on to describe the challenge of covering such players eg di you follow them up the ground etc.

I have mutiple gws people explicitly say Bedford was recruited for the 'high half forward' role

That is nibbler's role. It is a distinct role from the small, speed forward role that koz and candler play (though Chandler has had to plsy a bit of a hybrid role)

Its also spargo's role, amd i agree he be competing with him. And would be in the team too.

Only players with elite aerobic capacity can plsy the role to nibbler's level. Bedford has that capacity and has been brilliant tgis year. I wish we could have kept him

We’d still be better off with Bedford over Chandler. That was as clear last year as it is now. In saying that I’m not overly disappointed as both are now best 22 in finals teams.

Edited by Roost it far
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, Roost it far said:

We’d still be better off with Bedford over Chandler. That was as clear last year as it is now. In saying that I’m not overly disappointed as both are now best 22 in finals teams.

I 100% agree.

We wanted to keep bedford and i wish we did.

Leaving aside role. Bedford offers something we sorely lack - pure leg speed, both from standing start and over say 150 metres.

He has serious wheels - faster than nibbler, Koz and Chin

Edited by binman
  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, binman said:

I 100% agree.

We wanted to keep bedford and i wish we did.

Leaving aside role. Bedford offers something we sorely lack - pure leg speed, both from standing start and over say 150 metres.

He has serious wheels - faster than nibbler, Koz and Chin

I don’t think it’s left us with a deficiency in that area though. My concerns lie with the drop off of Salem and Langdon. I also actually think we’re going to be pretty strong forward of the ball once Petty is back.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Tarax Club said:

In big Finals there has on occasion been unexpected selection/positional moves which have blindsided the opposition. (BMT of course!) Jack Mueller’s recall in ‘48 is the stuff of football legend. Max has goal kicking form in finals, who could forget the ‘21 Preliminary final where he gave the sCats five of the best?

You do realise 2 were taken directly out of the ruck and another was a handball receive from centre clearance.

Max is not a forward he’s still the best ruck in the comp and you don’t stray from that

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

If we lose Friday we'll be the first team ever to go out in straight sets in consecutive years. Hawthorn went out in straight sets in 2016 and 2018 but missed finals in 2017.

  • Thinking 1
  • Angry 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 9/7/2023 at 10:20 PM, Mickey said:

Jumping the gun a bit. Should be SF, not PF.

 

TMac and Hibbo out. Grundy and Tommo in. Tommo isn't great, but we need to get the three talls down back

Reckon Wowy in, he’s much better than Laurie, who by the way is not an AFL footballer, and in my opinion never will be, Wowoedin in Grundy in, Schache in for TMac, JJ as sub

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
  • Demonland Forums  

  • Match Previews, Reports & Articles  

    PREGAME: Opening Round vs Sydney

    The Demons head up to Sydney to open the 2024 AFL Season against the Swans at the SCG. Who will debut for the Dees? Will Clarry be recalled to the team?

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Melbourne Demons 16

    PODCAST: Practice Match vs Carlton

    The Demonland Podcast will air LIVE on Thursday, 29th February @ 8:30pm. Join George, Binman & I as we dissect the Practice Match victory over the Blues at Ikon Park. You questions and comments are a huge part of our podcast so please post anything you want to ask or say below and we'll give you a shout out on the show. If you would like to leave us a voicemail please call 03 9016 3666 and don't worry no body answers so you don't have to talk to a human. Listen & Chat LIVE

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Melbourne Demons 11

    POSTGAME: Practice Match vs Carlton

    The Demons had total control of the practice match against the Blues taking out the honours and running out victors by 38 points at Ikon Park.

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Melbourne Demons 93

    GAMEDAY: Practice Match vs Carlton

    It's Game Day and the Demons are headed for a date with the Blues at Ikon Park for their final practice match before the ball is kicked in anger to open the season in just over a week's time. Date: Wednesday 28th February 2024 Location: Ikon Park Gates Open: 5:30pm Match commences: 6:40pm Watch: Foxtel & Kayo VFL practice match: Please note, the VFL practice match (10:30am) is no longer open to public. Entry: Your entry gate will be detailed on your ticket (4, 5 or 6)

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Melbourne Demons 308

    TRAINING: Tuesday 27th February 2024

    I headed down to Gosch’s Paddock this morning for the Captain’s Run in the lead up to tomorrow night’s practice match against the Blues.  The squad that took the field was indicative of the lineup for that match at Ikon Park.  Likely Selections based on the groupings of players at the Captain's Run today at Gosch's Paddock. Main Group: Gawn, Viney, May, JVR, Lever, Petracca, McVee, Windsor, Billings, Langdon, Bowey, Schache, Rivers, ANB, Fritsch, Sparrow, Chandler, Kozzy,

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Training Reports 4

    SCRUTINY & RESILIENCE by Whispering Jack

    If the week when preseason training melds into scratch matches with other clubs, is the first marker for the beginning of a new season, then this has certainly been a torrid opener for the Melbourne Football Club in its campaign to remain a leading AFL premiership contender in 2024. The Demons were already under enormous scrutiny from the media and football’s fan base (including their own) after consecutive straight-sets finals exits, with Clayton Oliver’s well documented woes, the Joel Smi

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Melbourne Demons 27

    Angus Brayshaw Forced into Retirement

    After 167 games including the drought breaking Premiership Angus Brayshaw has made the heart breaking decision to medically retire from football as a result of a series of serious head knocks over his nearly decade of footy. We wish Gus all the best and he'll always be a hero at Demonland. 😢

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Melbourne Demons 414

    PODCAST: Match SIM vs Richmond

    The Demonland Podcast will air LIVE on Tuesday, 20th February @ 8:30pm. Join George, Binman & I as we dissect the Scratch Match loss to the Tigers and hopefully provide me with some free MFCSS therapy. You questions and comments are a huge part of our podcast so please post anything you want to ask or say below and we'll give you a shout out on the show. If you would like to leave us a voicemail please call 03 9016 3666 and don't worry no body answers so you don't have to talk to a

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Melbourne Demons 43

    PREGAME: Practice Match vs Carlton

    The Dees will play their final practice match before the start of the 2024 seasons against the Blues at Ikon Park. What are you wanting to see in this final hit out before the season proper? Will Clarry & Salo return to the side? 2024 AAMI Community Series | Carlton v Melbourne Date: Wednesday 28 February Time: 6:40pm (AEDT) Location: IKON Park | Wurundjeri

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Melbourne Demons 183
  • Tell a friend

    Love Demonland? Tell a friend!

×
×
  • Create New...