POSTGAME: Rd 23 vs Hawthorn

Demonland

Fascinating watching us choose to kick it around the 50m arc  4/5 times throughout the match (as did Hawthorn) without penetrating and going for what feels like the 'usual' long bomb to a pack.

I'm not sure if it was about conserving energy, a deliberate change in tactics (and be that, due to personnel) or whether it was due to Hothron, flooding back and filling in the spaces.

Good to see though.

• Like 4

15 minutes ago, layzie said:

Thoughts on Laurie's game?

Better than ok I thought. I was looking for reasons to drop him, but thought he showed confidence, some nice evasive skills with ball in hand and good foot skills. I’d like another look at him.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1
  • Clap 1

Just now, In Harmes Way said:

Better than ok I thought. I was looking for reasons to drop him, but thought he showed confidence, some nice evasive skills with ball in hand and good foot skills. I’d like another look at him.

Yep, I was on the same wavelength about reasons to drop him. Took some hits, and did some very nice subtle things.

• Like 3

I said this a few weeks back - we are not going to be ‘out of games’ but we will have periods of dominance that I just don’t think we are going to be able to capitalise on with the way we move the ball and the space and entries that we create.

61 Inside 50 for 87 points.

Never sneeze at a tough win against a resurgent Hawks (they need to be remain dead a bit longer so let’s hope something happens) but we have not seen our finals forward line and we have not seen the best of our ball movement.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Jaded No More said:

Used it well but defensively was poor. 

A bewildering call to sub Schache on for Tomlinson. I understand they didn’t wanna not use him, but FMD we are lucky it didn’t cost us. 

Tomlinson played well. Schache has no urgency. 

Yep. Thought he had a nice last quarter but had some jitters early on.

Didn't expect Tommo to go out. 

4 minutes ago, layzie said:

Trent Rivers might be our best player right now on form 

To quote Richie Bernard, when asked what suit he'd like to wear out of the cream, the white, the ivory or the beige?

'Yes'. 

• Haha 1

35 minutes ago, Ugottobekidding said:

Why was trac handballing, does he have a sore foot?

Oliver looked like someone who hasn't played alot of footy this year. Laurie showed enough. Tmac needs to return. Kozzie looks disinterested, needs a week at Casey to wake him up. Viney is a beast... McVee looks good, Rivers is a potential captain.  Hope Fritch is ready for finals. Van rooyen = a long year for a debut season.

U want to drop Kozzie to Casey???? Yeah right 😱

• Like 10

29 minutes ago, layzie said:

Thoughts on Laurie's game?

Was pushing for Spargo ahead of him based on their last game at Casey

A quiet first quarter but gotta say, after that i was proven completely wrong.

A very very solid game, improving as the game went on.

Strong over the ball, slipping tackles, a few nice HBs to players outside the inner ring to get us going forward, some good kicks i50 to the advantage of a few on the lead or just to advantage.  Tackled really well.

He stays in for now unless he puts in a shocker and someone has a massive game or two at Casey.

He was even ahead of Chin today imho, albeit they play slightly different roles.

Edited by Demon Dynasty
  • Like 6

24 minutes ago, Graeme Yeats' Mullet said:

In the end comfortable, but hardly during

And not convincing by any stretch

Hoping to land C'wood at the G in the Finals

We've got a good system in place. We're good at grinding teams and then breaking away when we can because teams can't keep up.

23 minutes ago, Engorged Onion said:

Were you sitting comfortably for the first 3?😵

I was nervous like all supporters, but I knew if we could just clean up our skill level we would eventually break away which we did.

Good hard fought win and plenty of positives to take away from.

• Like 4

25 minutes ago, Jaded No More said:

Used it well but defensively was poor. 

A bewildering call to sub Schache on for Tomlinson. I understand they didn’t wanna not use him, but FMD we are lucky it didn’t cost us. 

Tomlinson played well. Schache has no urgency. 

A bewildering call to put Schache as sub in the first place.

Certainly wasn't based on last week's form at Casey.  Maybe they were looking at his block of form prior to that as he was horrible last week.

The only other take is they want a rucking option as back up for Max if needed and someone who can also play either end a la Smithy.

Grundy being the original back up ruck option and also a chop out fpr Max early in the season.  But of course most likely no longer an option so Schache was it (for Goody & the SC anyway).

Happy for Top 4, but the win was a bit ‘meh’.

Cannot see us winning 3 or 4 finals to be honest. No doubt we are competitive, just have far too many lapses in games.

Forward craft still frustrating, we loved kicking it to Ned Reeves today, why on earth a big body doesn’t go up to compete baffles me. At least try get to the contest.

Sometimes we just boot it into the 50 then hope and pray someone can mark. Lower the eyes please.

Hoping for Pies week 1 👍👍

10 minutes ago, seventyfour said:

I would like to see Hibberd in the side too, maybe for Bowey. Free up Rivers to do even more attacking work.

Would be an extremely harsh call to omit Bowey, but the holding the balls and the critical fumbles deep in defence are starting to stack up over the last few weeks.

Whilst his offensive game is in order, we may be better off defensively with Hibberd replacing  Bowey.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Demon Dynasty said:

A bewildering call to put Schache as sub in the first place.

Certainly wasn't based on last week's form at Casey.  Maybe they were looking at his block of form prior to that as he was horrible last week.

The only other take is they want a rucking option as back up for Max if needed and someone who can also play either end a la Smithy.

Grundy being the original back up ruck option and also a chop out fpr Max early in the season.  But of course most likely no longer an option so Schache was it (for Goody & the SC anyway).

It was fine that he was sub. If we lose Gawn in the first quarter you can’t have JVR go alone in the ruck. Would be a disaster. 
I don’t know why we subbed him on in the last tho.