Bailey Smith

adonski

4 minutes ago, layzie said:

Smith is having trouble getting on a wing at the Dogs right now due to their surplus of mids. Where does he fit for us exactly?

I could list about 15 guys he'd get a game ahead of for us but I'd cop CTE from all the facepalms!

• Haha 2
  • Facepalm 3

6 minutes ago, adonski said:

I could list about 15 guys he'd get a game ahead of for us but I'd cop CTE from all the facepalms!

I like Smith, i'm a fan of gut running mids. But we're in the middle of another media circus over a player we may not have needed, this one would ensure we have another this time next year.

25 minutes ago, adonski said:

Please name them, I’m genuinely interested 

He is a wasteful accumulator. Doesn’t mean he won’t go to Geelong and be a star, but he isn’t a player who we need or who will make us significantly better. 
Whereas Geelong are old AF and need to inject speed and youth into their dying midfield.

For a packet of chips and $200k sure, but he will cost a bucketload. Money and picks we can spend better elsewhere. 

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, Jaded No More said:

Please name them, I’m genuinely interested 

He is a wasteful accumulator. Doesn’t mean he won’t go to Geelong and be a star, but he isn’t a player who we need or who will make us significantly better. 
Whereas Geelong are old AF and need to inject speed and youth into their dying midfield.

For a packet of chips and $200k sure, but he will cost a bucketload. Money and picks we can spend better elsewhere. 

I don't have to energy to debate the defensive running patterns of Charlie Spargo or Alex Neal Bullen and why they're indispensable....

But on Baz - he has the traits to be one of the best mids in the comp. Some may argue he was already up there in 2021/2

He also has the deficiencies to be Dylan Shiel 2.0 if he doesn't clean some things up

Worth taking the risk in my mind. His style of player don't come round too often...

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Jaded No More said:

No thanks. He can't kick. We have enough of those.

Besides, Geelong get what Geelong want. Wonder if Bailey wants a hobby farm. 

9 hours ago, DistrACTION Jackson said:

He is definitely a butcher. Turns it over time and time again, but the media seem to love him.

9 hours ago, DeelightfulPlay said:

Never, thanks.  Doesn't have the skills to justify it.  One of my least favourite players in the league, would be in breach of our no [censored] head policy.

Just saying...

Screenshot_20230719_015832_AFL.thumb.jpg.03e7fae9a43a3d5f6acf99b0f7905f3a.jpgScreenshot_20230719_015753_AFL.thumb.jpg.0c5ce3c46caa03d6d89fd11d2e8e3ce0.jpgScreenshot_20230719_015652_AFL.thumb.jpg.0934b603af16adccdffe4d2ab9c47d50.jpg

• Like 5

15 hours ago, DeelightfulPlay said:

Never, thanks.  Doesn't have the skills to justify it.  One of my least favourite players in the league, would be in breach of our no [censored] head policy.

How do you rate Hunter?

5 hours ago, dazzledavey36 said:

Just saying...

Screenshot_20230719_015832_AFL.thumb.jpg.03e7fae9a43a3d5f6acf99b0f7905f3a.jpgScreenshot_20230719_015753_AFL.thumb.jpg.0c5ce3c46caa03d6d89fd11d2e8e3ce0.jpgScreenshot_20230719_015652_AFL.thumb.jpg.0934b603af16adccdffe4d2ab9c47d50.jpg

Come on now, are you comparing the disposal efficiency of inside mids to an outside runner? 

Clarry and Trac basically average twice as many contested possessions as Smith. And I know you are not comparing these two champion footballers to him. I know you are not! I can’t even talk about how wrong this comparison is. 
The guy is struggling to get a game over Oscar Baker.

Compare him to Ed Langdon who has a 73% disposal efficiency or Hunter at 66.7% 

Edit: and for [censored] and giggles, ANB has a better disposal efficiency too at 64.5% 😂

Edited by Jaded No More
  • Like 8
  • Love 1

37 minutes ago, Jontee said:

How do you rate Hunter?

Hunter did seem a bit 'troubled' (what a word that avoids accountability) prior to coming to us, but has ended up fitting in well.  I can't say I know much about his personality for certain beyond what had been reported previously (eg the drink driving) and how he is seen now by his MFC team mates.  Not behaviour I condone, but it also seems to be in the past.

The difference is that I've had some overlap with Bailey in real life via a family member.  Rather than relying on media or rumours (and completely unrelated to the substances he enjoys), I dislike him very strongly based on that experience.  Of course, Bailey could one day do and be better but I have no reason to believe he's changed... 🤷

So!  That combined with the fact he doesn't really seem to fit a need for us, and that we don't really need to add more shonky kicks equals a big no to me.  And an uncharacteristically strong stance against a player.

Edited by DeelightfulPlay
Typo
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I would take him. I think we still lack in outside run.

Having 2 wingers with Hunter on board has lessend our need significantly though.

Plus the price for him in trade and salary would be high.

12 hours ago, Jaded No More said:

What’s the right price for a player we don’t really have use for? 
We need to concentrate on getting a forward. 

Jordan is playing as a midfielder at the moment and he is a much better player than him 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Jaded No More said:

Come on now, are you comparing the disposal efficiency of inside mids to an outside runner? 

Clarry and Trac basically average twice as many contested possessions as Smith. And I know you are not comparing these two champion footballers to him. I know you are not! I can’t even talk about how wrong this comparison is. 
The guy is struggling to get a game over Oscar Baker.

Compare him to Ed Langdon who has a 73% disposal efficiency or Hunter at 66.7% 

Edit: and for [censored] and giggles, ANB has a better disposal efficiency too at 64.5% 😂

It's only the past 3-4 weeks he's been shifted onto a wing. He's played majority of his career as an inside mid/wing who uses his two way running power. So like Petracca and Clayton his efficiency by foot is effected by the power of work he does inside and out.

I'm not one bit comparing to them as footballers. I'm purely comparing that his poor foot skills gets a bit overblown and compared to Petracca and Oliver they too tend to butch the footy badly.

Oliver in particular is one of our biggest ball butchers going inside 50, but no one bats an eye lid because he does everything else great.

If you look at his 2021 season when he was a 19/20 year old, his numbers as a midfielder stack up far better then Petraccas and nearly on par with Olivers.

We'd be silly not to look at him. He easily gets a game ahead of James Jordon for instance and this would allow Petracca to spend some good quality time at half forward over the next few years.

Only 22 years of age and about to play his 100th game in a system (Western Bulldogs) where talent have stalled over the years.

His upside is enormous. 

• Clap 1

13 hours ago, layzie said:

Smith is having trouble getting on a wing at the Dogs right now due to their surplus of mids. Where does he fit for us exactly?

That's a Bevo issue.

You reckon Caleb Poulter and/or Oskar Baker are better wingmen than Smith?

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, adonski said:

That's a Bevo issue.

You reckon Caleb Poulter and/or Oskar Baker are better wingmen than Smith?

I know Hunter and Langdon most certainly are ;)

• Love 1

1 hour ago, dazzledavey36 said:

We'd be silly not to look at him. He easily gets a game ahead of James Jordon for instance and this would allow Petracca to spend some good quality time at half forward over the next few years.

Only 22 years of age and about to play his 100th game in a system (Western Bulldogs) where talent have stalled over the years.

His upside is enormous. 

He's worth a look of course, but if Freo do the right thing we will pick up as good or more likely better for our needs in the draft.

I like him but the cost in draft capital and $'s probably doesn't add up.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, dazzledavey36 said:

It's only the past 3-4 weeks he's been shifted onto a wing. He's played majority of his career as an inside mid/wing who uses his two way running power. So like Petracca and Clayton his efficiency by foot is effected by the power of work he does inside and out.

I'm not one bit comparing to them as footballers. I'm purely comparing that his poor foot skills gets a bit overblown and compared to Petracca and Oliver they too tend to butch the footy badly.

Oliver in particular is one of our biggest ball butchers going inside 50, but no one bats an eye lid because he does everything else great.

If you look at his 2021 season when he was a 19/20 year old, his numbers as a midfielder stack up far better then Petraccas and nearly on par with Olivers.

His upside is enormous. 

There is a reason he isn’t playing inside anymore, even tho Dogs lost Dunkley. 
Last year when he was playing as an inside mid, he only averaged 3.7 clearances and 8.6 contested possessions, going at 54% efficiency 

Oliver’s stats were higher than that in his first season of football. 

As I said in a previous post, if he didn’t cost much then of course you’d look at him, and he will probably be a star at Geelong. But he isn’t worth the picks or financial outlay he would require, because he doesn’t fill an obvious gap. 
I would rather Taylor use our picks to unearth another really classy midfielder via the draft. 

• Like 1

A qualified yes from me, but he is only mid-range for salary.

Pros:     He breaks lines, has genuine speed, and can have huge impact moments in games that begin periods of momentum.

Cons:    Kicking is average, has periods of weeks in a single season where he is in poor form, and he wants to leave because he is not playing where he wants (me first attitude)

I reckon Choco would be great for him.

6 hours ago, beelzebub said:

I know Hunter and Langdon most certainly are ;)

I’d much rather Smith on a wing than Hunter but that ship has sailed.

Not sure Langdon is doing a great deal at the moment either

• Like 1