• IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

POSTGAME: Rd 13 vs Collingwood

Demonland

Just now, YesitwasaWin4theAges said:

Cheer squad of the year surely.

Can’t see why not, right? 😁

We’ve won four of the last five years.

We may not be as loud as some of the others but we certainly look the best. 🥇 

• Like 10
  • Thanks 2
  • Love 2

2 hours ago, monoccular said:

Just looking at the Kayo mini - mid Q1 Brayshaw took a mark and was hit late on the top of the head by Maynard.

How was that not at least a 50?

Did Christian even look at it?

I couldn't believe it. Right below me.

50 every day of the week. Text book.

I wondered if I got it wrong live, bit on watching the replay when I got home it was even later than I thought live.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 3

55 minutes ago, WalkingCivilWar said:

Can’t see why not, right? 😁

We’ve won four of the last five years.

We may not be as loud as some of the others but we certainly look the best. 🥇 

Who dared win the other year!!!

• Haha 4

3 hours ago, WalkingCivilWar said:

Another thing we do that divides the cheer squad is when we look certain to win, when there’s a minute left on the clock we sing Grand Old Flag. Some members love this, some not so much. We didn’t do it yesterday because doing the Melbourne chant then them getting so close shut us up real quick. 😂

We were sitting right above you and it scared the beejesus out of me when that chant started.

I'm thinking:  OMG don't you guys know that is Coll out there, the luckiest finishing side in the AFL.  Thank God the DA shut up; it was heart stopping enough without stressing about the chant backfiring.  Loved it tho when the siren went.

We all made enough noise, yeah??  🙂🙂🙂

Edited by Lucifers Hero
  • Like 2
  • Haha 5

I’m not sure if it’s been mentioned yet as I haven’t read the entire thread, but did you notice how happy and relaxed Goody was in the post match? I can’t recall too many times seeing him like that. It was just great to see him so happy, and even cracking jokes, after completing outcoaching the opposition.

Also, just in regards to Brayshaw, his first few mins of the game were awful but to his credit he bounced back and had a solid game. My only other dig at him would be in the last centre bounce. Mitchell completely got off the chain and almost won that centre clearance. I dare say that if Oliver was there instead, there’s no way Mitchell would have got that sort of separation on someone as quick as Oliver.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, binman said:

I couldn't believe it. Right below me.

50 every day of the week. Text book.

I wondered if I got it wrong live, bit on watching the replay when I got home it was even later than I thought live.

Or when ANB I think took a mark and Mihocek simply grabbed his collar and dragged him to the ground

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1
  • Angry 1

On 6/12/2023 at 2:25 PM, binman said:

Half time in the replay.

David King confident the pies will blow us away. 

Elite analysis.

Enjoy your work but I watched it and that's not what was said. 

He said something along the lines of, "if Collingwood are allowed to play that play on, free flowing game, they'll blow this wide open." 

Which was absolutely correct. 

But he also complimented us on our ability to choke them. In his own words. 

People ride what he says too much. I rate his opinion. Emotional supporter get ticked off too easily if he has a critical view of their team. 

The vast majority of what he says is respected within the industry. And what he says about us, I agree with. It's hard not to. 

But I find it fascinating that your memory of what he said is so wrong. You clearly don't like him. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, WalkingCivilWar said:

Just indulging in a little shameless boasting right here. 🤭

COMPARE THE PAIR…

95CFF434-B543-476A-B4EE-07360AF3E9C3.thumb.jpeg.2686b20dfc9c97e09df802fe8266d3c2.jpeg

We are routinely complimented by the other clubs’ cheer squads on our size and overall look. The above pics were taken after the teams’ first goals yesterday.

These short clips were all taken yesterday. We are super proud. 

https://streamable.com/zbcegc

https://streamable.com/pyyfwx

https://streamable.com/xwe8wm

https://streamable.com/sv0lq1

Was sitting in the MCC top level about half way up on the wing fair way away, came across loud and clear all day, in fact the noise from all our supporters was very good.

• Like 4
  • Love 4

8 hours ago, Kick_It_To_Pickett said:

Any vision

I can't put a video up, but it happened about 02:06 left in the 4th quarter. Replay of the incident is with 01:44 left. (Mihocek missed a set shot)

Salem came in from the side to pressure/tackle/knock out the ball off Harrison. To me it looked like Salem hit more with his forearm and has just winded Harrison, Salem did have a clenched fist but I'm not even sure his fist connected, as Salem's arm was swinging sideways. Looked absolutely fine live, but you know what slowed down footage looks like.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Lucifers Hero said:

We were sitting right above you and it scared the beejesus out of me when that chant started.

I'm thinking:  OMG don't you guys know that is Coll out there, the luckiest finishing side in the AFL.  Thank God the DA shut up; it was heart stopping enough without stressing about the chant backfiring.  Loved it tho when the siren went.

Tell me about it! 😂 We just follow Ryan and the boys so when they started up the Melbourne chant we all joined in. Nek minnit we’re staring down the barrel of a potential two point loss. Us for the last 26 seconds …

image.gif.2ace691310e31fa6e78acaa7ebf45cfd.gif

😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 12

8 hours ago, loges said:

Was sitting in the MCC top level about half way up on the wing fair way away, came across loud and clear all day, in fact the noise from all our supporters was very good.

And yet week after week the likes of BT tend to mention that our supporters don't show up.

• Like 1
  • Angry 2

17 hours ago, Jaded No More said:

He grew up in an AFL mad house. His dad ran Auskick out at Waverley Park. He has photos as a kid with every Hawthorn great you can think, and personalised signed jumpers.

He lost his love for the game as a teen, and never had any strong affiliation to any club because everyone in his family barracks for someone different (all terrible choices too). Then he met me and understood that the only way to survive is to join in.

He is genuinely a Melbourne supporter these days and he has a great understanding of the game. His favourite Melbourne player is ANB and he thinks Fritsch is a top 5 forward in the AFL. So he does really know his stuff. 

He just doesn't love going to game because it takes us a while to get to and from the ground, and I am very unpleasant to sit with 🙄😅

You’ve tamed him. Maybe get him a Dee’s pet membership🤔 💕 

• Haha 3

5 minutes ago, demosaw said:

You’ve tamed him. Maybe get him a Dee’s pet membership🤔 💕 

Bear says 👋 

• Haha 2

8 hours ago, loges said:

Was loud on the c7 broadcast too.

Tx peeps.

• Like 2
  • Love 1

1 minute ago, leave it to deever said:

Was loud on the c7 broadcast too.

Tx peeps.

Late in the 3rd quarter I think it was we went up gear, really had them on the ropes it felt we were about to put them away, our fans sensed it the noise went right up, just couldn't kick straight.

• Like 5

10 hours ago, Macca said:

Brayshaw could play as a pure midfielder but he does a lot of good work in traffic in that area between just behind the middle and deep half back

From one side of the ground to the other. It's where we employ the press and he's right in the thick of it ... usually dishing off quick handpasses 

That's his role and it's vital.  In soccer terms he's playing as a defensive midfielder or as a holding midfielder

Plus he plays tall so he competes well in the air and also, he reads the play well

Now, as for the errors, I'd agree they were terrible but once he settled back into his normal role, he was terrific

Another longish post but his role takes a bit of explaining

I agree and he is also a big and heavy unit - puts on some fake clumsy and makes some bruises. Doesn’t take cheap shots and never shirks a contest.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Matthew Jefferson visited our tent on Monday. He chose to come as opposed to being sent by the Club. Rookie error. 😁 He came towards the end when we were at skeleton staff levels since many of our peeps had left to do the Walk to the ‘G and things had quietened down. Suddenly an unexpected wave of customers appeared outta nowhere. We were frantically trying to keep up with the demand so poor MJ in a heartbeat went from standing around politely chatting to having me barking orders at him… “Matty, more serviettes!” “Matty, sauce needs refilling!” “Matty, grab another rubbish bag!” He was so sweet and did everything asked of him, but that may well have been because he was scared of me. 🤭

Incidentally, he’s not as tall in real life as you’d think…

B0E6E97D-ED21-4839-87DD-4413DA63F782.thumb.jpeg.0e1b546b00a3a16b04848189f5ee761d.jpeg

😁

• Like 10
  • Love 8
  • Haha 3

37 minutes ago, demosaw said:

I agree and he is also a big and heavy unit - puts on some fake clumsy and makes some bruises. Doesn’t take cheap shots and never shirks a contest.

Yep and he hasn't played the role of an attacking midfielder for an age ... probably since 2018

Since then he has played various roles and that's the way it is

As stated earlier, Brayshaw is a coaches dream and I'm not sure we've got a player on our list who could come close to playing his role with the same skill set and versatility

Severely underrated on this site ... many just want to talk about a few errors

And again, as stated earlier, all of our players turn it over from time to time so lets get stuck into every other player as well hey?  (to be fair)

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Clap 3

7 hours ago, Males said:

I can't put a video up, but it happened about 02:06 left in the 4th quarter. Replay of the incident is with 01:44 left. (Mihocek missed a set shot)

Salem came in from the side to pressure/tackle/knock out the ball off Harrison. To me it looked like Salem hit more with his forearm and has just winded Harrison, Salem did have a clenched fist but I'm not even sure his fist connected, as Salem's arm was swinging sideways. Looked absolutely fine live, but you know what slowed down footage looks like.

So ***** annoying. What a joke. Yet Cox can smash Gawn in the head at a recalled ball up in the centre square and its no free/no report/play on 

And Maynard smacks Brayshaw in the head AFTER he has taken the mark. No 50m no report, no fine. Carry on. BS

Edited by jnrmac
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Angry 1

13 hours ago, WalkingCivilWar said:

Just indulging in a little shameless boasting right here. 🤭

COMPARE THE PAIR…

95CFF434-B543-476A-B4EE-07360AF3E9C3.thumb.jpeg.2686b20dfc9c97e09df802fe8266d3c2.jpeg

We are routinely complimented by the other clubs’ cheer squads on our size and overall look. The above pics were taken after the teams’ first goals yesterday.

These short clips were all taken yesterday. We are super proud. 

https://streamable.com/zbcegc

https://streamable.com/pyyfwx

https://streamable.com/xwe8wm

https://streamable.com/sv0lq1

11 hours ago, Lucifers Hero said:

I have to say, I got really nervous when the Melbourne cheer, in the Collingwood style, started up. That was before the Mihocek goal and then after the Daicos one I thought to myself, if this goes pear shaped, the industry blow-back on us going early on the cheer only to lose will be enormous.

Thank [censored] it didn't eventuate, because otherwise I thought our cheer squad (and our supporters generally) were the best we've ever been, other than perhaps the 2018 finals.

The media has seized on how loud we were to drown out the boos when Grundy took that first mark and I thought that was so damn emblematic and made me so proud.

• Like 7
  • Love 2

14 hours ago, JimmyGadson said:

Enjoy your work but I watched it and that's not what was said. 

He said something along the lines of, "if Collingwood are allowed to play that play on, free flowing game, they'll blow this wide open." 

Which was absolutely correct. 

But he also complimented us on our ability to choke them. In his own words. 

People ride what he says too much. I rate his opinion. Emotional supporter get ticked off too easily if he has a critical view of their team. 

The vast majority of what he says is respected within the industry. And what he says about us, I agree with. It's hard not to. 

But I find it fascinating that your memory of what he said is so wrong. You clearly don't like him. 

Bit of poetic license from me jimmy. Was supposed to be an irreverent, post win watching the replay post. 

But i think you might need to re watch that segment. We have a different interpretation of what he said. Not that it matters.

Personally, I don't mind one little bit if he is critical of the dees - assuming the criticism is supported by evidence, he is not disregarding evidence that counters his view and he makes a solid case to back up his opinions.  All power to him. 

And i don’t dislike him at all. I always liked him as a player and he seems a decent enough bloke. I really respect the position he has taken on head contact, particularly given how he played, and how he has navigated being a media person and issues relating to the Roos. 

But as an analyst he is decidedly average. 

And he contradicts himself with such frequency I wonder if he can recall what he has previously said.

Listen to his slot on Whateley on Tuesday just gone if you want more evidence of why he is an average analyst. I mean his analysis of the KB game was mind bogglingly one dimensional and just a hodge podge of thought bubbles strung together. 

One example of him being an average analyst of the game is he continues to bang on about our supposed scoring and connection issues. I mean, it is beyond ridiculous given the objective facts completely contradict such a position.

Past the halfway point of the year, we are third on the ladder with the second best percentage in the AFL (just behind the scoring machine, the pies – who have won 2 more games) and nearly 13 % clear of the next best, the lions. And 15% clear of Port, who are above us on the ladder, having also won 2 more games than us.

We just played the scoring machine and put 26 scoring shots past them, 9 more than they could manage, and we have a scoring and connection issue? Please.

By the by, the discussion about scoring should be focused on how high our percentage is, because as is the case every year, percentage will end up playing a critical role in the final order of the ladder and therefore who plays who week one of the finals - and perhaps more importantly where they are played.

Our very strong percentage will be a VERY big factor in shaping the makeup of the finals, particularly with our soft run home including games against the Giants, Roos, Hawks, Blues and Swans meaning it will only go up.

King should be pointing out that being 13% and 15% clear of two key rivals in the Lions and Port is almost a worth a game in hand. There is almost no chance either team will make up those percentage gaps, meaning even if we end up on the same points we will finish above both teams, likely ensuring we play on the G week one of finals not away at the Gabba or Adelaide oval. That's a big deal. 

And we will almost certainly finish with a significantly higher percentage than the PSM (Pies Scoring Machine) given our soft run home and their much tougher run (Crows, Suns away off a six day break, Dogs at Marvel off a six day break, Freo, Port away, Blues off a six day break and travel, Hawks, Cats off a six day break, Lions and the Bombers).

If we end up on the same points - which is a real possibility given the run home of both teams (unless of course you are drinking King Kool aid) - we will likely finish top of the ladder or second on percentage (depending on how Port finish off the season), possibly forcing the Pies to have to play Port or the Lions on their home deck if they slip to third on percentage. That's a big deal.  A much bigger deal than the dees' mythical scoring issues.

And while I'm talking about what some helpful analysis might actually look like, I wouldn't mind hearing some analysis from King on the Pies' record in big games.

If you include our round 22 game against them last season, their three finals last season, and Monday's game, they have played five huge high pressure, finals or finals like games against real contenders (im  not counting their blues win late last year because they didn't make finals and were never contenders - but I am counting the Freo final win even though it was decidedly low pressure match and Freo were cooked).

They lost three of those five big games!

And if you take out the Freo final, that is three losses from four games that were finals, or finals like, games against real contenders.

Spin it however you (generic you) like, that is a very poor recent record in big games - one that no TV analyst has yet raised (but I'm tipping eventually will). But it is a record that I am extremely confident is exercising the minds of the Pies coaching staff. 

What were the consistent elements in all three losses? Their inability to execute under pressure, coughing the ball up at critical moments (cost them the Swans and Cats finals games) and a clear defensive vulnerability. Their game plan, which everyone seems to just love, has major vulnerabilities.  I wouldn't mind some analysis about that topic. 

Or even some talk about the PSM's record this season against current top 8 teams. With Monday's loss they are now 4-2 against the teams currently in the top 8. Doesn't sound too bad and is better than ours (we are 2-4). But hardly earth shattering, and includes a scrappy close win against the saints, same same for their bombers' win and they could only manage 59 points in their lucky one point win over the wasteful Crows (who kicked 7.16 to throw the game away). 

Of more concern to the PSM coach would be their record against contenders ie top other 4 teams. They are 1-2 in their games against Port, Lions and the Dees (we are also 1-2 against top 4 teams). Given their poor 2022 finals series, the question for analysis should be are they good enough to beat the best teams? 

Yes, yes I know I don’t have to listen to King. But I am also allowed to if i want to.

And as this is a footy forum, King's opinions about footy are fair game. If posters don’t want to read me knock his analysis, don’t read my posts. 

My main issue with how wrong he gets things is his opinions are regularly parroted by the lazy footy media. One example - Jordon Lewis on Monday’s nights 360 talking about our supposed scoring issues as if it they are an accepted FACT. 

Worse, his opinions are parroted even by some dees fans.

As an example, you only have to do a brief scan of DL for plenty of evidence of posters, who I presume actually watch us play, parroting David King’s talking points about our supposed forward connection and scoring issues. And believing them hook, line and sinker!

If you agree with what he says about us, that is your prerogative. I obviously don't, but we all see the game differently. Which is fine. Different strokes for different folks. 

As for the ‘vast majority of what he says is respected within the industry’, what industry are you referring to? 

Maybe his opinion is respected in the insular, boy's club footy media industry, full of ex footballer boneheads who talk about footy like it is still 1994 and clearly do little or no research about games they are calling or supposedly analyzing.

Because it can’t be the AFL industry, and specifically club land, as his analysis rarely holds any water and it is clear his talking points are given to him from Champion data. 

Edited by binman
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Clap 1

On 6/12/2023 at 5:54 PM, adonski said:

Can't keep carrying ANB in these sorts of games

Did you even watch the game???????

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, binman said:

Our very strong percentage will be a VERY big factor come September, particularly with our soft run home including games against the Giants, Roos, Hawks, Blues and Swans meaning it will only go up.

Percentage doesn't matter in finals. :blink: 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Thinking 1