PREGAME: Rd 13 vs Collingwood

Demonland

If I may stray from the topic...it has always seemed wrong to me that where a player is suspended the team he erred against doesn't get the benefit of the suspension.

In my view where player A concussed player B, at least one week of the suspension should be served the next time those 2 teams meet. As it stands at the moment, the aggrieved player/team can be further disadvantaged by 1, 2 or 3 other teams, competing for ladder position with player B's team, getting the benefit of player A not playing.

Team B should get the benefit of the penalty.

• Like 3
  • Love 1
  • Thinking 1

16 hours ago, The heart beats true said:

I reckon Joel Smith does a defensive role on Moore. Try and get a match up between JVR and Frampton. Moore will take Fritsch. I’d back our boys in, and they’d struggle against Max.

Well if that's the case Fritsch should go nowhere near the pill, drag him away from the contest

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Soidee said:

I have zero confidentce against the pies, however I am just wishing it's us that ends their domination this year.  Can't think of much worse watching a Power V Pies GF. 

If that was the case would love the Power to come out pre game in the prison bar jumpers, that would send them into a frenzy.

• Haha 3

40 minutes ago, Bystander said:

If I may stray from the topic...it has always seemed wrong to me that where a player is suspended the team he erred against doesn't get the benefit of the suspension.

In my view where player A concussed player B, at least one week of the suspension should be served the next time those 2 teams meet. As it stands at the moment, the aggrieved player/team can be further disadvantaged by 1, 2 or 3 other teams, competing for ladder position with player B's team, getting the benefit of player A not playing.

The game needs a red card. That was a pathetic act. It takes one minute for a VAR or video confirmation. Every other sport has it and the universe doesnt implode. 

• Like 2
  • Clap 1

55 minutes ago, Bystander said:

Your analysis is spot on, but the trouble is there may well be no penalty when the clubs next meet - possibly in the following season.  By then the offending player may have been dropped or injured anyway.  I'm afraid it's either some form of 'red card' or we just live with it as it is. (I don't mean with the current corrupt decision making of who gets runned out though.)

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, demon3165 said:

If that was the case would love the Power to come out pre game in the prison bar jumpers, that would send them into a frenzy.

Will the Tasmanian team have first dibs on prison bar jumpers ? After all, south australians always bang on, to people that don't care, about the fact they didn't have convicts.

• Haha 3

3 minutes ago, sue said:

Your analysis is spot on, but the trouble is there may well be no penalty when the clubs next meet - possibly in the following season.  By then the offending player may have been dropped or injured anyway.  I'm afraid it's either some form of 'red card' or we just live with it as it is. (I don't mean with the current corrupt decision making of who gets runned out though.)

So in an all or nothing grandfinal there is nothing to stop someone willing to deliberately hurt opposition player(s) to win the game or take good opposition players out of the game. so they serve a suspension next year, not a hugh penalty against the potential reward. we need a red card system, you hurt someone like that and your team has to play man down as well. kind of reminds me of Carl's D's last game for melbourne.

• Clap 1

32 minutes ago, Jjrogan said:

The game needs a red card. That was a pathetic act. It takes one minute for a VAR or video confirmation. Every other sport has it and the universe doesnt implode. 

Thats the ideal and proper action.

Remove said transgressor from field...  the team can deal with it as best able.

• Like 1

I’m not a big fan of a continuous revolving doors forward set up, but Schache has had two pretty good weeks in a row in the VFL, while Smith didn’t do a whole lot on Friday. I understand the need for role players, but you can’t just rely on Fritsch to kick a bag when you’ve got JvR averaging 1 a game and Pickett the same. 

With Moore and Frampton both being >200cm then surely Goodwin brings in Schache to help with our height down there with Grundy/Gawn. You’d think then that Murphy takes JVR, Maynard on Fritsch, and Quaynor on Pickett.

Ins: Schache, Hibberd, Jordon (sub)

Outs: Smith, Bowey, Harmes.

• Thinking 1

I like the idea of a red card adjudicated immediately off field, with the penalty being the guilty player is removed plus another player selected by the aggrieved sides coach.

Get the idiots out of the game.

• Thinking 1

What if the VAR reviews the act and issues a red card. Player is immediately subbed out of the game.  If sub has already happened then bad luck, also subbed with no replacement. Seems to align with current processes.  Should only be used where VAR feels case goes immediately to tribunal (not just across mr Christian’s desk).

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Lord Travis said:

No. Still listed as 2-3 weeks in injury report and no mention of him by anyone in media.

He was listed as two to three weeks last Monday, 29/5. That makes King’s birthday Monday 12/6 exactly two weeks. Now it’s a long shot, there’s no mention of him returning in Goody’s presser for example. But if 2-3 was indeed true then there’s a chance he’s available this week. Otherwise we’ll have him cherry ripe after the bye. It’s probably wishful thinking to have him back for KB but it’s not insane, it’s within the stated timeline. 

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, At the break of Gawn said:

I’m not a big fan of a continuous revolving doors forward set up, but Schache has had two pretty good weeks in a row in the VFL, while Smith didn’t do a whole lot on Friday. I understand the need for role players, but you can’t just rely on Fritsch to kick a bag when you’ve got JvR averaging 1 a game and Pickett the same. 

With Moore and Frampton both being >200cm then surely Goodwin brings in Schache to help with our height down there with Grundy/Gawn. You’d think then that Murphy takes JVR, Maynard on Fritsch, and Quaynor on Pickett.

Ins: Schache, Hibberd, Jordon (sub)

Outs: Smith, Bowey, Harmes.

I disagree. If the backs are taller then what do you need to do? You don’t bomb it in that’s for sure. Our forwards need to lead and the passes need to be low. Simple.

• Like 2

They might keep Smith in to play a forward defensive role on Moore, as he can go with him in the air, and understands how to play defense.

• Like 1

Collingwood seem to want to choose when they "go" or not. If they play that kind of arrogant game plan, we will easily beat them. Especially without De Goey effecting the midfield battle.

I expect them to be "going", and we have to be "going" with them. If they get a good lead we will be done. This year we are better at playing for the 4 quarters. We've lost the capacity to put several goals on in short periods regularly (can't rely on a good burst) . 

If we sustain our pressure, effort and complete the fundamentals well for the 4 quarters, then we go a long way to beating them.

My question is, can the Woods play a hard fought 4 quarter game, as I think we can?

Go Dees

Edited by kev martin
  • Like 5

10 minutes ago, kev martin said:

Collingwood seem to want to choose when they "go" or not. If they play that kind of arrogant game plan, we will easily beat them. Especially without De Goey effecting the midfield battle.

I expect them to be "going", and we have to be "going" with them. If they get a good lead we will be done. This year we are better at playing for the 4 quarters. We've lost the capacity to put several goals on in short periods regularly (can't rely on a good burst) . 

If we sustain our pressure, effort and complete the fundamentals well for the 4 quarters, then we go a long way to beating them.

My question is, can the Woods play a hard fought 4 quarter game, as I think we can?

Go Dees

They just have to be unpicked, like we were. They get overlappers sprinting hard from concealed rear formations as soon as they have a ball-winner. From that set-up it is guard to stop them. We need to counter their ploy with our own Oliver's army-style formation: 

https://youtu.be/gIej8Kg4Prs

• Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, DeeZee said:

They might keep Smith in to play a forward defensive role on Moore, as he can go with him in the air, and understands how to play defense.

Not the worst idea DeeZee.

Moore needs to be accountable. Smith, if given this sole task, can match him athletically.  Other teasm have put work inot May and Lever.  let's hope we do the same and Goody and MC don't go down the arrogant path thy di against Power and th battle of the midfields.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, dazzledavey36 said:

I've fancied the pies all year but i have this weird sensation that i think well beat them.

Reckon there'll be some fired up lads from last year.

Yeah me too...its out grandfinal after all

• Haha 1