• IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

GAMEDAY: Rd 12 vs Carlton

Demonland

2 hours ago, Redleg said:

Tells you where the Coach thinks BBB is at and he is probably not wrong.

We finally did it....we Melburnised him.

You know it’s gonna be a loooonnnggg GameDay when we start talking about [censored] like coffee and the Lion King. 😂

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, FireInTheBennelly said:

What does that mean?

Lyrics from a song by a very much underrated Australian band called The Avalanches. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, layzie said:

"That boy needs therapy, psychosomatic, that boy needs therapy.."

“He’s crazy in the coconut”

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, FireInTheBennelly said:

What does that mean?

1 minute ago, WalkingCivilWar said:

Lyrics from a song by a very much underrated Australian band called The Avalanches. 

Just realised you clearly know the song since you just quoted a line from it. Or was that a coincidence?

43 minutes ago, old dee said:

Not sure I agree with you Smith's big problem as we all know is his body. It Simply cannot withstand the pressure of AFL football. 

Smith is not a defender against the Charlie Cameron's of this world.

He is better if we play him fwd.

• Like 8
  • Thinking 1

16 minutes ago, jnrmac said:

Agree.

Much better fit for his strengths, and perhaps more importantly his weaknesses.

I suspect his number one kpi tonight will be, if we cant mark a high ball inside 50 it comes to ground.

I also suspect they'll use him in the tmac role of getting up the ground to provide a marking option from kicks to half back from deep in our defence and lead up option on the wing. 

• Like 5

54 minutes ago, poita said:

The backline looks better balanced this weekend, and the midfield slightly stronger as well. 

But imagine being an AFL coach and thinking that you can challenge for a premiership with a forward line consisting of Gawn, Van Rooyen and Smith as the marking targets. The lack of forward craft in those three is astounding, although clearly Van Rooyen will be a good player in time with more strength and experience. 

And then you have Chandler and Spargo contributing stuff all between them at the moment.

I think it will show the intent from the outset will be to drag TDK as their only ruck or Slivagni into our forward line, making Weithering cover the taller player while hopefully creating a mismatch with JVR or even Smith. Hopefully never getting out marked. In our wins Gawn and Grundy have kicked a combined 12 goals, while they only have 2 in the losses. 

• Like 1

I am normally pretty level with emotions and perspective, but have probably had more ups and downs the last few weeks. My view is that we are slow to address areas of concern and back our system- when I think we should be adapting to trends that are unfolding in the game..

All that aside, I am going to try and put my positive hat on.. 

Dees to win tonight, start to build form and upset the Pies next week. Joel Smith to finally get his body right and build a block of form over 6 weeks to prove he belongs. Back talls to click and again establish themselves as the best defensive unit in the comp. 
Hopefully positivity brings positive results!!

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, Red and Blue realist said:

I think it will show the intent from the outset will be to drag TDK as their only ruck or Slivagni into our forward line, making Weithering cover the taller player while hopefully creating a mismatch with JVR or even Smith. Hopefully never getting out marked. In our wins Gawn and Grundy have kicked a combined 12 goals, while they only have 2 in the losses. 

Silvagni has a surprisingly good record against us. I recall he kicked 3 against us recently when playing ruck/fwd.

Setterfield, Docherty also seem to play well against us,.

2 minutes ago, jnrmac said:

Silvagni has a surprisingly good record against us. I recall he kicked 3 against us recently when playing ruck/fwd.

My thoughts exactly when I saw his name on the Carlton IN’s

18 minutes ago, binman said:

Agree.

Much better fit for his strengths, and perhaps more importantly his weaknesses.

I suspect his number one kpi tonight will be, if we cant mark a high ball inside 50 it comes to ground.

I also suspect they'll use him in the tmac role of getting up the ground to provide a marking option from kicks to half back from deep in our defence and lead up option on the wing. 

I can see JVR drawing two defenders and Smith flying in front of the pack taking marks. 

32 minutes ago, jnrmac said:

Agree and I think that is where he will play tonight. The bun is not a forward he is a ruckman and a good one but expecting him to regularly kick goals is pushing the envelope. That leaves us tonight with one tall forward in JVR a kid with a handful of games who has done nothing the last month mainly IMO because he has no support. I hope Smith can give him that tonight. It would appear Schache pass has already been stamped, Tmac it would appear has been playing injured and now out for surgery. Brown is in the wilderness and seems to have lost form/ support from the FD is he playing injured too?  Our tall forward options it would appear are Smith and JVR. I find it difficult to believe that duo can take us to a GF this year. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, jnrmac said:

Setterfield can do what he likes tonight. Now plays for Essendon.

• Like 3
  • Haha 5
  • Clap 1

1 hour ago, old dee said:

Not sure I agree with you Smith's big problem as we all know is his body. It Simply cannot withstand the pressure of AFL football. 

I have never seen Joel play and acceptable game

Has anybody else seen one?

• Facepalm 1
  • Vomit 1

10 minutes ago, Newport34 said:

I can see JVR drawing two defenders and Smith flying in front of the pack taking marks. 

we would be a better chance if we sopped bombing it in indiscriminately

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Red and Blue realist said:

Very interesting stat re: Gawn and Grundy.

Against Gold Coast they combined for 4 and sure enough we won.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Demonsterative said:

Agree WJ. This means a game plan that matches our first 3 to 5 matches this year. Run, carry and/or 30 meter passes to a free man. Forward fast ball movement. Chandler and Spargo were influential.

Whatever did happen to that game style 🤔🤔🤷🤷🤷

I miss that 🥴🥴🥴

It's hard not to be fearful of what might happen in this game.

Clearly, based on the Blues recent tales of self-destruction, we win easily. Cripps seems injured (slower than normal), Harry has the yips and Charlie is finding the burden of being the No.1 player in the game (Robbo's view) hard to live up to. Add in the injuries and it's hard not to back us and just about every tipster in the country is.

But those who remember Joe Daniher destroying us on a couple of occasions (and losing the plot in a  couple of others) know that this could be the night when Harry converts his first on Tomlinson and gets on a roll. Given we aren't playing hard tags (Harmes is out of favour) it could also be the night that Cripps gets rolling (unless Sparrow has a blinder on him). And it's not as if their injuries are key omissions - their six out are all depth players replaced by in-form VFL depth players. Their midfield core of Walsh, Cerra and Cripps are all playing so Charlie may have enough supply, while Saad and Docherty are still in to provide run and Weitering, McGovern and Young good enough to quell our key forwards.

What worries me most is that, under Goody, we continue to play four small forwards and with no major height through the middle aside from Trac, we get picked off whenever we try switchbacks from our left-side defensive forays.

I don't understand how we can continue to play four small forwards - we are the only side doing it and aside from a few magic forays from Kozzie and the early form of Chandler, the benefits of the structure are non-existent. And the goals have dried up recently. Chandler has kicked one goal in his past three, ANB one in the past four and Spargo nine for the year.

It's not as if they are smalls that take the odd surprise mark or are that we get benefits from their tackles. Yes they all work their butt off but who would you rather tackle you - Beau McCreery, Sam Powell-Pepper, Zac Bailey or Chandler, Spargo and ANB. Which is not to say that our trio don't work their butts off - it just that at 175c, 172cm, 182cm plus Kozzie at 171cm our small forwards aren't intimidating. And that is one of the major reasons why we have absolutely no chance against Collingwood, although Carlton's current propensity to self-destruct should enable us to get through tonight.   

• Like 2
  • Clap 1

2 hours ago, layzie said:

"That boy needs therapy, psychosomatic, that boy needs therapy.."

1 hour ago, FireInTheBennelly said:

What does that mean?

Now I'm worried this game is going to umpired by a man with a golden eyeball.

• Haha 3
  • Clap 1