POSTGAME: Rd 10 vs Yartapuulti

Demonland

That rivers free kick on the 3/4 time siren really really hurt. It's a massive thing going into the final quarter up by 17 points and then we gave it away and only went in by 11 points. 

On that last lever play. There was massive space for someone to lead up, we had time to set it up. 

• Like 6

4 minutes ago, Kick_It_To_Pickett said:

Like Hodgey, who conceded that the ball hit the deck, but doesn’t mind the mark being paid, because the bloke was playing in front 🤯

Yeah that bump ball was a joke, umpire about 10 metres away too 

Just now, layzie said:

That is true. You'd rather they go down fighting and I guess they did somewhat. 

At half time I would’ve taken a 4 point loss and ran with it given what happened In the third quarter of  Gather round V Essendon. We were deplorable in the first half tonight.

Clearly our “best loss” for the year.

• Like 2

Losing by less than a goal in the wet isn't the end of the world. First half was disappointing though given the importance of the game.

However, the form of a few guys is a huge concern.

Chandler can't get a kick any more.

ANB is horrible

JvR's two free kicks against plus having little impact is a worry.

Grundy is not as good as many think he is.

Kozzie has played one decent game for the season.

Our much vaunted midfield doesn't have the depth of the best midfield. 

Our season is on edge.

All those boasting about us scoring more over the season after last round need to take a reality check. Our forward line is terribly weak.

JVR, Tmac, Kossie, ANB (was he playing?), Spargo. It's a horror movie in our F50 

As usual, a few players kept us in the game... many, many were unsighted or ineffective.

Big chance of missing top 4

• Like 2

For anyone suggesting we can’t blame the umpires for appalling umpiring, and tonight it was truly atrocious, who then should we blame for it? 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Not too disappointed about a loss in May to a hot Port over there. We haven’t travelled well this season but we hung tough all game despite being outplayed for most of it. The next three weeks will tell us a lot. 

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, McQueen said:

The game is becoming a poor spectacle. Four field umpires all gunning for their 15 seconds of fame by blowing the whistle on the most flaky and dubious decisions of the year. 
Am I biased? Hell yeah!

But the sport is quickly losing its appeal to me. I pride myself on not losing control of my emotions but tonight I cussed and yelled like never before. Disgusting display of umpiring with the final boundary throw in clearly favouring Port but not being pulled up by the field umps. 

It was a wet game being adjudicated like a dry game. Decisions like the JHF tripping free was absolutely [censored] ludicrous!

These umpires are seriously out of their depth. 
Something needs to change because I’ve lost the loving feeling for the sport  of Aussie rules. 

X2. Honestly if we weren't a decent team I wouldn't watch football anymore it's just a constant roll of the dice with every contest now.

• Like 5
  • Clap 1

13 minutes ago, rufus said:

You look at our lineup on paper and just wonder how we can be so ordinary so often when coming up against the better teams.

We seem to be smack bang in the middle of wasting the best group of MFC talent we may see in our lifetimes.

Then again, maybe our guys are just a bit overrated.

We are absolutely overrated and so we’re the dogs for a long time after winning there flag, since round 10 last year we have gone 13 wins 11 losses, we are a middle of the road side at present, it is what it is.

• Like 5

An absolutely brilliant midfield display by Port.  Butters, Rozee and Horne-Francis destroyed our lot.  Tactically brilliant to keep the play away from Gawn.  Rozee made it clear after the game that a lot of the pre game planning revolved around Gawn's influence.  That we got out to a three goal lead and lost by less than a goal is miraculous given how much better Port played.

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, chook fowler said:

Only got ourselves to blame - can’t play 1 quarter and expect to win. JVRs poor discipline needs to be addressed. I think McVee may also need a spell. Nibbler also had a mare. Max has hardly taken a mark for 2 weeks. 

All to be dropped Max stays but a dumb performance tonight! plus the Robot is just past it!!

6 minutes ago, The heart beats true said:

How much did we lose by again? Oh, that goal that he gave up?

Defend him all you want, but he made 2 horrible errors, one off the ball (which is undisciplined), and one where he didn’t tackle properly.

He’s 19 for gods sake & you want to blame him for the loss

What about the pathetic performance of the whole team in the first half?

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, Maldonboy38 said:

Please stop blaming the umpires - they didn't beat us we beat ourselves. We got as many dodgy frees as Port did.

I don't understand the 'Goodwin is a [censored] coach vibe' when it is the players' intensity and skills that let us down.

I don't understand why we don't play a tagger. 

JVR & Viney made some critical errors in the last quarter that were so costly.

There is something off with our midfield.

Oh but the umpires were terrible. We didn’t deserve the win but the umpires made sure we didn’t.

There were about 3-4 goals in total from frees of which 1-2 were genuine.

How Lever didn’t get a double 50? There were about 3 front on contacts missed when Frotta gets pinged for contested a 50/50 ball. 

It is just amateur hour  with umpires and the game is largely becoming unwatchable. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

That 1st half was just pathetic. You can't win games putting in a half like that. jvr and chandler need a break. Again our centre clearances are a problem and I wonder what will happen next week against a decent rucking duo.

• Like 2

I think some questions need to come in the media about our midfield. Our numbers are appalling. We look to be tinkering with the game plan, but surely the game plan can’t see Trac and Oliver get 30 every week, and still get beaten?

Something isn’t right, and I’d love the club to feel some real heat now. As already noted we are now 4-10 against top 8 sides since mid last year. That’s not ‘trending badly’, that’s straight up not working. 

• Like 3

Just now, Webber said:

For anyone suggesting we can’t blame the umpires for appalling umpiring, and tonight it was truly atrocious, who then should we blame for it? 

You can’t blame the umpires when you’re going 0-10 in clearances and letting damaging opponents rack up 40 touches. You can’t blame the umpires for JVR hitting Finlayson high or giving away a high free kick in a tackle. 
You can’t blame the umpires for May kicking out to the same spot every time, nobody taking the mark, and yet nobody staying down to contest the ground ball. No umpire is to blame for that. 

We lost because they were better for longer. One good quarter of football isn’t enough to win games against quality sides. 

• Like 11

4 minutes ago, rolling fog said:

I’m done with Ch.7 commentary - it’s so sub standard in so many areas it’s now a joke.

I’m now at the stage of syncing up Kayo with SEN/3AW etc. 

If it was easy to do and my Kayo didn't buffer a million times like it did tonight I'd probably do that too.

• Like 1

Can't come into a big game like this and only play 1 good quarter. 

Umpiring in most games is just so haphazard you can never say what's going to be paid with any certainty.

In such a tight game Van Rooyen's mistakes were very costly.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, dees189227 said:

That rivers free kick on the 3/4 time siren really really hurt. It's a massive thing going into the final quarter up by 17 points and then we gave it away and only went in by 11 points. 

On that last lever play. There was massive space for someone to lead up, we had time to set it up. 

Can  I say this epitamised the umpiring all night, I saw 10 examples of this close in the packs and not one was paid, it was a really soft free kick, where yes technically it was there, but not paid any other time 

5 minutes ago, YearOfTheDees said:

Port simply could not and will not play better. As for us, why we can't change how we play to suit the conditions is beyond me. About time the club made an official complaint about how Gawn is treated on the field.

They also won’t kick that poorly in front of goal next time. No top 8 side should fear us at the moment, we will go out the same as last year assuming we even get a double chance

• Like 1

We need to go to the umpiring department and ask for a please explain!  Max and Grundy get blocked, geld and pushed in ruck contests all the time, usually against the 2nd ruck or fwd ruck and it never gets called.

I seriously thing they believe that because it's not an actual ruckman they can do what they want to win the Tap

Edited by Travy14
  • Love 1

3 minutes ago, Webber said:

Exactly. In a 1 kick game that level of incompetence or cheating has a massive impact.

• Like 3
  • Thinking 1

3 minutes ago, Deestar9 said:

I actually think Kozzie had been a shadow of himself since that report. 

He's been well below .

so has Anb and Lngdon.

spargo may add a goal or two now andvthen but hes borderline

It was Grundy and Max that let us down tonight.

Jack too.

Trac was ok in tge 2nd but hadc4 touches in the. first half

Lever was mia again.

It was always going to be tough with umps that get conned over there every single time.

Sadly it was there to be won but one quarter of footy is never enough.

Such a weak effort with no soul tonight. No running. Weakest tackles that were just stepped around and nobody holding a mark.

We aren’t top 4 material from that showing.

Had port kicked true we would have lost by 35.

• Like 2
  • Shocked 1