• IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

POSTGAME: Rd 06 vs Richmond

Demonland

1 minute ago, Doug Reemer said:

I’m sure it’s been already mentioned but.

Three of the worst calls I’ve ever seen by an umpiring group.

The deliberate out of bounds for a an intercept spoil, payed against Brayshaw.

ANB a clear 50 after rioli tackled him after he took a mark?

The shepherding free against who knows for a Tiger defender falling over? When Fristch took that mark close to goal.

it seemed to kill our momentum breaking moments every time! We did well to grind that out!

You forgot the HTB against Gus who clearly kicked the ball before getting smashed side on by Rioli 

Absolute joke of a free

Roseberry with all his experience lost control of the umpiring last night. The other 3 were inexperienced baboons and the AFL should do better. 

• Like 10
  • Thanks 2

47 minutes ago, dees189227 said:

Can I just say what a wonderful job Hibberd did on cumberland last ngiht after he went to him after he kicked his 3 goals. Kept him virtually statless after that and did brilliantly. 

What hasn't really been mentioned is that along with giving that silly goal away when May took the intercept mark, Cumberland kicked his three on McVee. When Hibberd went to Cumberland, he barely touched it.

• Like 6

33 minutes ago, Demonstone said:

Steven May knew.  He was telling Lever all about it after the 50 was paid.

Don’t think he did. Umpire explained the rule on the goal line, when May asked what happened.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2

37 minutes ago, Willmoy1947 said:

So many holes in that argument. They do and it happens to this Club often...

Also players going the wrong way again, because they don't know what is going on either.

So we have the situation, the combatants don't know. The Umpires don't know. The Public don't know. The AFL don't care..

That particular guy picks decisions quite often that are very very controversial, when it comes to us. The smiling assassin my name for him.

There are now 4 of them and they still cannot get it right and no questions are allowed.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, kev martin said:

Good sentiment, though I see Anzac day as a time to reflect on the futility of war. 

I see remembrance day (11 Nov) as more of a time to thank those who served.

Wish we didn't have to have a defence force, and when active, the displacement and suffering of civilians is very sad indictment of our madness. The pain of losing and maiming, (especially the psychological) a family member who served, is devastating. I think the soldiers know and ask, why? Especially when at that time, our foreign policy was controlled by another country. It is how that defeat became a nation definer to us and New Zealand.

Lest we forget.

An interesting point Kev and worth thinking about.

I'm probably the other way round, I feel when watching the dawn service/march and the representation of people who served from WW1 up until now is a great chance to say thank you. Remembrance day I'll think of my relatives and the how it all could have been so different. No hard and fast rules though.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Redleg said:

You and Deva 5160 are both correct.

it is clearly a rule and it’s not paid.

I must admit I was just unaware of it until last night, when that diagram was shown on here.

According to the rule it was a clear and obvious breach.

The funny thing is that Lever and the other players appeared unaware of it, as did the commentators. Richo said he had never seen it paid before and why was it paid, as Lever was behind the man on the mark. The others didn’t know either.

Interestingly, when you take a side on kick, the players must be 10 metres away from the side of the man on the mark and they never are. Why isn’t that officiated properly?

Last night was as poor and what seemed biased umpiring as you could see. Our players appeared dumbfounded at times and to their credit kept their cool.

The mistakes all seemed to go the Tigers way. A Bombers mate messaged me to say the umpires were killing us and it was blatant.

The ANB non 50, the Gus deliberate and holding the ball when he kicked it and wasn’t tackled, but was bumped, the 3 round the neck to Sparrow, the Hunter holding the ball, the Petty holding the man on Vlastuin, when they were standing still and Vlastuin just dropped it, the Fritsch reversal, several soft frees in front of goal and many others, all mistakes and all in the Tigers favour.

I can only imagine the Scotts and Dimma if it had been them on the receiving end of constant bad decisions.

To overcome all that and a poor first 2/3rds of the game, was great by our boys.

Well done Dees, those types of games build belief. Everything going wrong, but still finding a way to win.

Why did they reverse Fritta's mark? I haven't seen anything clear about that.

12 hours ago, dees189227 said:

Sorry Van Rooyen. I had you back at Casey next week. 

I was secretly hoping you could do something in the final quarter but boy you did more than that

Appreciate your honesty, some have run off to hide.

• Like 1

Just now, ElDiablo14 said:

Why did they reverse Fritta's mark? I haven't seen anything clear about that.

Nothing shown on TV, but my son at the game, said he saw JVR slightly push Vlastuin, as Fritta took a great mark. What makes it a poor decision, was that Vlastuin was no chance of taking the mark anyway.

• Like 2

Richmond usually get smashed in the free kick count, why? Because they’re a physical side with a lot of mongrel like their coach, and they’re full of dumb players too. 

My guess is Richmond sent the word in to the AFL about our marking tactics and made it a focus. 

So you get the McVee block which was perfectly legal fighting for position and ready to mark being penalised. And the one taken off Fritsch that had no bearing in the contest.

And the umps largely took their eye off the ball when it came to Richmond’s backline and midfields constant shoddy tactics of holds.

Throw in some blatant wrong decisions like the Gus htb and Nibbler non 50 and you’re on a rough end of things. 

• Like 8
  • Angry 1

1 minute ago, layzie said:

Appreciate your honesty, some have run off to hide.

No one should be so harsh on criticism towards a 20 year old player.

I was also noticing his absence during the early parts of the game. However, if you pay attention closely you'll notice how he keeps trying. By pressure, running, Shepperd, contesting marks... He is just a work horse.

• Like 6

2 minutes ago, Redleg said:

Nothing shown on TV, but my son at the game, said he saw JVR slightly push Vlastuin, as Fritta took a great mark. What makes it a poor decision, was that Vlastuin was no chance of taking the mark anyway.

I thought it was Petty, but yes Vlastuin about 5m behind the contest copped a minor block. Completely inconsequential to the actual marking contest 

• Like 1
  • Angry 1

5 minutes ago, DeeSpencer said:

Richmond usually get smashed in the free kick count, why? Because they’re a physical side with a lot of mongrel like their coach, and they’re full of dumb players too. 

My guess is Richmond sent the word in to the AFL about our marking tactics and made it a focus. 

So you get the McVee block which was perfectly legal fighting for position and ready to mark being penalised. And the one taken off Fritsch that had no bearing in the contest.

And the umps largely took their eye off the ball when it came to Richmond’s backline and midfields constant shoddy tactics of holds.

Throw in some blatant wrong decisions like the Gus htb and Nibbler non 50 and you’re on a rough end of things. 

Spot on

2 hours ago, Brownie said:

Kade Chandler is showing him how it's done so far this season. Really impressed with his defensive efforts, hard running and getting to the fall of the ball.

Maybe all of this contract stuff is getting a bit distracting for Koz? I'm sure he'll click sooner than later. He's just gotta keep his feet on the ground and be at the fall of the ball.

The contract is an easy out but I think it's more trying to balance his furious attack on the ball with not giving away frees/getting reported. When you go 100% that can happen and it seems he's second guessing himself in order to avoid the frees/suspension. It will click soon and he'll have another game like round 1 or last year v Port.

Edited by Dr. Gonzo
  • Like 2

Very good win and great last quarter by JVR. The pack mark and the eyes on the footy was great to see, along with composure. Liked the way we fought it out to the end (has been a positive in all losses also).

Concerns for me: (which can be worked through)

JVR first 3 quarters - We need Brown or TMAC there to take best defender. Hes also lucky he didn't give away 50 to Riewoldt for knocking the ball out of his hands (he missed).

Petty forward experiment needs to stop - Need him in defence

Pickett on another planet last night?

May carrying an injury?

Question marks over Sparrow, ANB, Rivers.

Hunter and Langdon do not do enough.

I do like how we are rotating players and getting the wins, hopefully peak at the right time of year, unlike all guns blazing for first half of last year. Hoping the next few weeks we get the wins and boost the %%.

3 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

The contract is an easy out but I think it's more trying to balance his furious attack on the ball with not giving away frees/getting reported. When you go 100% that can happen and it seems he's second guessing himself in order to avoid the frees/suspension. It will click soon and he'll have another game like round 1 or last year v Port.

Don't forget to also please ask him to stop forcing the mark of the century..

It will come when he least expects it, he just needs to be the dangerous and strong force of nature he can be. 

JVR is looking good, but at this time he needs someone else to take the heat from himself.  BBB or Tmac,

He is not a Ruck to play all over.   Almost knocked the ball out or Riewoldts hands after a mark last night, in the 3rd Q. Silly act..   Flew too often and upset our other players last week, and did little this week until Balta was moved  (If I am correct)

so he had a less physical opponent,  But that last quarter, he imposed himself on the result, and the Tigers gave up, (almost).

And his play and jumping for the ball is so reminiscent of Schwartz   in his (the Ox) first 10 or so games, Rooey could be absolutely anything.     A great get for the DEmons.    We are comparing him after only 3 (?) games, probably a bit early.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, layzie said:

An interesting point Kev and worth thinking about.

I'm probably the other way round, I feel when watching the dawn service/march and the representation of people who served from WW1 up until now is a great chance to say thank you. Remembrance day I'll think of my relatives and the how it all could have been so different. No hard and fast rules though.

Much of the modern narrative is that way. 

I have been brought up to believe that it is a very sad and poignant celebration about and for the whole community. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, Jaded No More said:

I would say it was 60/40 Melbourne. We absolutely outnumbered them. 

I think I get a warped view of the crowd because I'm in the AFL members where we were clearly outnumbered - it seemed like they had about 70% of the crowd but it might feel different if I was in the Northern Stand.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, 4_Kent_Watts said:

I don't care what the afl's explanation is about the man behind the mark giving away a free kick and 50metres, it can't be a free kick if you're outside 5 meters and BEHIND THE BLOODY MARK. STOP trying to make up rules that only exist for one interpretation to satisfy your rubbish and WRONG explanations.

But Lever WAS inside 5m zone behind the mark. He ran up just behind McVee on the mark as the ball was kicked.

It was a howler by Lever, defence 101 brain fart

However, the umpiring in general last night was poor