Jump to content

  • Podcast: Jason Taylor Interview  

  • Podcast: Jason Taylor Interview 

TRAINING: Friday 2nd December 2022


DeeSpencer
 Share


Recommended Posts

Unsighted: Oliver, Pickett, Langdon, May, Harmes, Brayshaw, Melk, Tomlinson, Joel Smith, Verrall. No Dunstan, ANB either

Rehab: Ben Brown, McDonald, Hibberd, AMW, Deakyn Smith

Benny Brown doing pretty short jobs but joined in one drill and kicked the footy around. Hibbo and AWM doing solid work. T Mac not looking a mile off.

New boys:
Adams (Jed Adams): In runners and t shirt, did a good session on the watt bike. Good height, not big but solid frame, looks like he'll fill out once they do get him going though

El Jefe (Matthew Jefferson): Joined in some drills and match sim, kicks a nice drop punt and seems to have loose easy arms that easily hold marks

Kyah (Kyah Farris-White): joined in some drills, has a monster of work to do on his kicking, poor Choco wasn't marking many of his 15m stabs

Sestan (Oliver Sestan): solid but not heavy, will need a preseason to change his frame a little but hardly a mile off, kicks accurately with punch when doing some kick to kick with Choco

Edited by DeeSpencer
  • Like 15
  • Thanks 25
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Grundy: looks healthy and moves well, got involved a bit as a forward in the match sim, later was doing some runs with Fritsch and not dropping too far off him

Hunter: was heavily involved in the match sim. Partly because he had a good stint in the pink jersey that's the extra number that goes both ways. Had some nice kicks. Bobbed up in good areas. Looks fit but solid. He had to really motor to get a quick one-two which tested those legs but he got it done. I don't think he'll star and those little legs might need some rest at times, but I think he'll be revitalised.

Schache: was the main target of one of the match sim teams and so got on the end of plenty. Didn't really have too many contests. Certainly looks fit and strong in the legs. Will always have more narrow shoulders but is solid up top too. If he never has an opponent he'll be good! Wait and see if he can do more.

  • Like 18
  • Thanks 15
Link to comment
Share on other sites


Things that caught the eye

JVR was the main target of the other match sim team and he was prominent. Had some solid marking contests with Petty and he definitely has a good crack at it. A couple of two grab marks and drops, hopefully that's just early season stuff. But he looks really fit and strong and doesn't lack for energy.

McVee - paired up with Salo and drills and they linked up on the same team a bit. Looks stronger but also to be playing quicker

Rivers - had a stack of it, not as efficient with his use but a few kicks that missed by inches

Woey - looked sharp and used it well

Sparrow - had the hair flowing and moves like some kind of new age armoured vehicle. 

JJ - the match sim was all focused on fast ball movement and JJ was playing to instruction and getting it on nicely. Used the left at one stage, had a nice run and penetrating accurate kick at another, willing at the contest

Petty - cleaned himself up nicely spoiling Fritsch at one stage, but got back out there for a nice battle with JVR. Had some spoils, marks, tackles and just generally did Petty stuff. Looks good

Gawn, Petracca, Viney, Lever were all doing their things. Was good to see them all healthy

  • Like 16
  • Thanks 14
  • Love 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

The one drill I saw Sestan join in was where they split in to pairs and just did some very token pressure one-on-one marking and one-on-one ground balls with a coach just gently lobbing a ball out in front.

Sestan was joined up with Hunter and no one was providing any real pressure, but he just looked very comfortable in how to use his hips to hold off an opponent and gathered cleanly then could handball on either hand and seemed to be favouring using his left. Doesn't mean much, but it's a sign he's not super raw. Would've loved to have seen it done with real pressure and Viney or Petracca but hey, it's early days!

  • Like 11
  • Thanks 12
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, DeeSpencer said:

Things that caught the eye

JVR was the main target of the other match sim team and he was prominent. Had some solid marking contests with Petty and he definitely has a good crack at it. A couple of two grab marks and drops, hopefully that's just early season stuff. But he looks really fit and strong and doesn't lack for energy.

McVee - paired up with Salo and drills and they linked up on the same team a bit. Looks stronger but also to be playing quicker

Rivers - had a stack of it, not as efficient with his use but a few kicks that missed by inches

Woey - looked sharp and used it well

Sparrow - had the hair flowing and moves like some kind of new age armoured vehicle. 

JJ - the match sim was all focused on fast ball movement and JJ was playing to instruction and getting it on nicely. Used the left at one stage, had a nice run and penetrating accurate kick at another, willing at the contest

Petty - cleaned himself up nicely spoiling Fritsch at one stage, but got back out there for a nice battle with JVR. Had some spoils, marks, tackles and just generally did Petty stuff. Looks good

Gawn, Petracca, Viney, Lever were all doing their things. Was good to see them all healthy

Thanks Dee very informative. 

  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, DeeSpencer said:

The one drill I saw Sestan join in was where they split in to pairs and just did some very token pressure one-on-one marking and one-on-one ground balls with a coach just gently lobbing a ball out in front.

Sestan was joined up with Hunter and no one was providing any real pressure, but he just looked very comfortable in how to use his hips to hold off an opponent and gathered cleanly then could handball on either hand and seemed to be favouring using his left. Doesn't mean much, but it's a sign he's not super raw. Would've loved to have seen it done with real pressure and Viney or Petracca but hey, it's early days!

At his first day at training - wow talk about throw him into the fire 😀

  • Like 2
  • Haha 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, Jaded No More said:

I wonder where Oliver is. Hopefully he is fit. 

I think only the 1st-4th year players are due back at the moment, although a few of the older guys have already returned.

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites


28 minutes ago, adonski said:

Loose Arms Jeffer 

You’ll know what I mean when you see it, he’s slinky and his arms present nicely to the footy. I was hoping to get a closer up look at his hands. They didn’t look like big buckets from what I could see but it wasn’t up close! 

  • Like 6
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, DeeSpencer said:


Hunter: was heavily involved in the match sim. Partly because he had a good stint in the pink jersey that's the extra number that goes both ways. Had some nice kicks. Bobbed up in good areas. Looks fit but solid. He had to really motor to get a quick one-two which tested those legs but he got it done. I don't think he'll star and those little legs might need some rest at times, but I think he'll be revitalised.

 

I think the biggest benefit of having Hunter, other than his ball use, is we will have two genuine wingers with huge tanks for teams to worry about. Last year Langdon began getting tagged out of games, such was his importance to us. Now with Hunter teams will have to worry about both.

  • Like 12
  • Love 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

51 minutes ago, DeeSpencer said:

You’ll know what I mean when you see it, he’s slinky and his arms present nicely to the footy. I was hoping to get a closer up look at his hands. They didn’t look like big buckets from what I could see but it wasn’t up close! 

I liked it 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

25 minutes ago, Action Jackson said:

I think the biggest benefit of having Hunter, other than his ball use, is we will have two genuine wingers with huge tanks for teams to worry about. Last year Langdon began getting tagged out of games, such was his importance to us. Now with Hunter teams will have to worry about both.

Maybe - That works if Hunter is playing his role well

He was dropped from a team that is inferior (IMO) last season even though the Bulldogs had pretty average wingers eg: Roarke Smith, McLean, Williams etc. 

If he gets really fit and does the team things, he may be a starter otherwise he is heading for Casey IMO

  • Like 1
  • Facepalm 1
  • Thinking 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, Sydee said:

Maybe - That works if Hunter is playing his role well

He was dropped from a team that is inferior (IMO) last season even though the Bulldogs had pretty average wingers eg: Roarke Smith, McLean, Williams etc. 

If he gets really fit and does the team things, he may be a starter otherwise he is heading for Casey IMO

Yikes. Average! Bailey Smith is close to the best winger in the competition at his best, I’d have him on our list in a heartbeat! The dogs had the problem of too many quality mids and had Treloar, Dunkley along with Roarke Smith (who is decent) McLean, Williams all rotating on the wing, that pushed Hunter out, not a lack of quality wingers, an oversupply. 
The reality is our competition for wing spots is much less than the dogs. Brayshaw and Jordon both did incredible jobs but aren’t natural wingers, Oscar Baker didn’t come on, Woey and Howes were too young last year and will still be developing.

Hunter should be aiming to walk onto our second wing if he brings quality skills, application and effort. I’d have Woey a sneaky chance to take Hunter’s spot if he wavers as I really rate his improvement and if he continues his trajectory he’ll be pushing hard. But it’s Hunters to lose atm. The question is what we do with Brayshaw, Jordon, Sparrow, Harmes, Bowey, Salem not all of them will play and while a few of them will be walk up starts I think there’ll be some different roles for them this year.

  • Like 7
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hunter will be in the team. Will be a great get for us. We wouldn’t have got him without having that specific role which will be opposite to Langdon. Will be an extremely shrewd pick up that cost very little pick and salary cap wise. 
 

As for people wondering where certain players are, all players will be there on Monday. This first week was mandatory for 1-4 year Dees and optional for the rest of the group.  

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

55 minutes ago, Action Jackson said:

I think the biggest benefit of having Hunter, other than his ball use, is we will have two genuine wingers with huge tanks for teams to worry about. Last year Langdon began getting tagged out of games, such was his importance to us. Now with Hunter teams will have to worry about both.

I think they should be really flexible with where they use him. Wing, forward, back. And he’d be a good sub, now that it will be used every week.

One role I’d really like to see him used in is playing on ball, starting forward then swapping with Viney or Tracc after centre bounces. He’d give us uncontested possessions and hit up short kicks from the midfield. His ability to find space stood out today. 

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites


10 minutes ago, deejammin' said:

Yikes. Average! Bailey Smith is close to the best winger in the competition at his best, I’d have him on our list in a heartbeat! The dogs had the problem of too many quality mids and had Treloar, Dunkley along with Roarke Smith (who is decent) McLean, Williams all rotating on the wing, that pushed Hunter out, not a lack of quality wingers, an oversupply. 
The reality is our competition for wing spots is much less than the dogs. Brayshaw and Jordon both did incredible jobs but aren’t natural wingers, Oscar Baker didn’t come on, Woey and Howes were too young last year and will still be developing.

Hunter should be aiming to walk onto our second wing if he brings quality skills, application and effort. I’d have Woey a sneaky chance to take Hunter’s spot if he wavers as I really rate his improvement and if he continues his trajectory he’ll be pushing hard. But it’s Hunters to lose atm. The question is what we do with Brayshaw, Jordon, Sparrow, Harmes, Bowey, Salem not all of them will play and while a few of them will be walk up starts I think there’ll be some different roles for them this year.

Strange that they were looking at Ginger Baker given their surplus of mids.

  • Like 1
  • Clap 1
  • Thinking 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, DeeSpencer said:

Kyah (Kyah Farris-White): joined in some drills, has a monster of work to do on his kicking, poor Choco wasn't marking many of his 15m stabs

@Tim thought he saw,  he had a reasonable kick.

I thought he had an uncomfortable looking set kick style, but his hands were ok, I'll take more notice next time, especially his on the run kicking capacity. 

A long way to go to be AFL ready.

Edited by kev martin
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, deejammin' said:

Yikes. Average! Bailey Smith is close to the best winger in the competition at his best, I’d have him on our list in a heartbeat! The dogs had the problem of too many quality mids and had Treloar, Dunkley along with Roarke Smith (who is decent) McLean, Williams all rotating on the wing, that pushed Hunter out, not a lack of quality wingers, an oversupply. 
The reality is our competition for wing spots is much less than the dogs. Brayshaw and Jordon both did incredible jobs but aren’t natural wingers, Oscar Baker didn’t come on, Woey and Howes were too young last year and will still be developing.

Hunter should be aiming to walk onto our second wing if he brings quality skills, application and effort. I’d have Woey a sneaky chance to take Hunter’s spot if he wavers as I really rate his improvement and if he continues his trajectory he’ll be pushing hard. But it’s Hunters to lose atm. The question is what we do with Brayshaw, Jordon, Sparrow, Harmes, Bowey, Salem not all of them will play and while a few of them will be walk up starts I think there’ll be some different roles for them this year.

Ah I never mentioned Bailey Smith?

The first sentence of your second paragraph essentially confirms what I said he needs to do to get a game 

BTW it's not Hunter's to lose its Hunters to win - he is no walk up start without doing a great deal right and sustaining it 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Unfortunately, your content contains terms that we do not allow. Please edit your content to remove the highlighted words below.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
  • Demonland Forums  

  • Match Previews, Reports & Articles  

    TRAINING: Wednesday 1st February 2023

    PICKET FENCE'S TRAINING REPORT REHAB  Clarry, Max, Farris-White, Melky, Matt Jefferson, Jakey Lever, Joel Smith & 1 Other I couldn't place. Glad to see the Club being ultra cautious with Clarry's thumb BUT the fact he is still troubled with it is worrying (God I hate Selwood) Got there at 10.50 to see Full match Simulation Game between the Blues and the Whites. Quite clearly the Blues were the A Team and the Whites were the possibles. Some interesting faces in the white Team h

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Training Reports

    TRAINING: Monday 30th January 2023

    PICKET FENCE'S TRAINING REPORT NO SHOWS JACK VINEY, MATT JEFFERSON, CHRISTIAN SALEM. Also Did not see ADAM TOMLINSON  INJURIES MODIFIED DUTIES MAX, JOEL SMITH, ANB, AMW,( NO 47 Not sure who ) and during training CLARRY ( More on this latter)  SKILLS , DRILLS AND MANOUVERS After warm ups and Run Throughs, players broke of into 3 Groups doing a variety of Close in Handball through traffic to hit clean target with players pressuring. One on one groundh

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Training Reports

    TRAINING: Wednesday 25th January 2023

    DEMONLAND’S TRAINING REPORT Rehab Group: Lever (in runners but kicking the ball well and seems to be moving well), Max (not present), Melksham, Howes, AMW, J Smith - then later joined by the following not participating in contract drills/Match SIM - Brown, Spargo, D Turner, Verrall, Adams  Stafford was out early with Grundy & Verrall doing ruck drills.  White Guernseys: May, Bowey, Trac, JVR, Rivers, Sestan, Nibbler, Kozzie, Grundy, Hunter, Harmes, Fritsch, Laurie, Jord

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Training Reports

    TRAINING: Monday 23rd January 2023

    WIZARD333'S TRAINING REPORT I went down and it was locked out for first hour but could see through fence then allowed in. Max Gawn ran laps — it looks like a 3 to 4 week injury. Andy Moniz-Wakefield ran laps. Blake Howes was taken off late as was on restricted minutes. Adam Tomlinson loudest on track and a leader - surprised me but won't be in best 25. Jake Lever on bike and walking up n down stairs, yelling out as he does. Melky copped a niggle so ran laps but

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Training Reports

    TRAINING: Friday 20th January 2023

    TOUGH KENT'S TRAINING REPORT I journeyed out to Casey today and was fortunate enough to watch two quarters of match simulation. Here is a brief rundown of random occurrences/thoughts. First of all, there was no Jake Lever (ankle) or Joel Smith involved. AMW is still in rehab and was running strongly. It was Blue (Probables) v Red (Possibles) JvR was in blue. Ben Brown, T-Mac, Hibbo and Tom Sparrow were in red. Gus Brayshaw started at half back for blue and stayed there all game.

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Training Reports

    TRAINING: Wednesday 18th January 2023

    DEE ZEPHYR'S TRAINING REPORT Morning all. First time at Goschs for a while, there’s a scoreboard set up which I’ve never seen here before. Possible match sim? Williams yelling out to players to get their hands off hips during drills. Gus looks fine to me. Absolutely., first two mins of match sim and his kicking is exquisite on both sides. He’s moving incredibly well.  Some observations from a match sim drill that lasted about 15-20 mins. The purpose se

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Training Reports

    TRAINING: Monday 16th January 2023

    STINGA'S TRAINING REPORT Went with a friend to watch training this morning.  They have 3 sets of temporary grandstands set up next to the rooms for spectators and get a good view of everything. Fritsch was the only absentee and J Smith was on the bike for the whole session. Everyone in their own numbers except JVR in 44,   Kye Turner is 47 and Burgoyne 33. Started off with goal kicking which has been described before. Then an agility routine where where they ducked aroun

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Training Reports

    TRAINING: Friday 13th January 2023

    REDLEGS23'S TRAINING REPORT Got to training about 9:50 & headed off by 11:30. Rehab / Light Drills: • Jed Adams • Kyah Farris-White • Will Varrall • I think i spotted Joel Smith, but could be wrong. The above doing light drills. Andy Moniz-Wakefield & Trent Burgoyne doing seperate laps / runs for the whole session. James Harmes, Angus Brayshaw & Steven May all started with the main group but then progressed to light duties / laps for the remainder of th

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Training Reports

    TRAINING: Wednesday 11th January 2023

    WAYNE WUSSELL'S TRAINING REPORT Haven’t noticed Oliver, Petracca and Hunter, just about everyone else accounted for. Petracca here! J Smith striding out in rehab. BB taking lots of shots on goal after session marking in goal square v Stafford Younger players tending to float short passes to leading forward (D Smith, 33, 39, KF-S) while Petracca, Viney, Kossie, ANB shoot hard and low bullets Harmes, Verall, & Adams doing agility, ball handling JVR stand out in te

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Training Reports
  • Tell a friend

    Love Demonland? Tell a friend!

×
×
  • Create New...