Farewell Jayden Hunt

Demonland

2 hours ago, A F said:

Quite happy for Jayden to explore his options. Bowey has the same pace, but is cleaner and has elite ball use. Jayden should be a back up next year and Bowey should be in the ta ahead of him.

No way Bowey has Hunts pace.

• Like 17

Hunt hurt us quite a few times this year with his poor disposal and decision making, especially some horrific turnovers in the finals (he wasn’t alone though).

However, we absolutely need his dash and dare, just further up the field. He would do very well on the opposite wing to Langdon.

• Like 2
  • Love 1

1 minute ago, mo64 said:

He only played 6 games in 2020, and as a forward. Played 20 games in 2021/2022 as a defender. Nice try.

So that cancels out your argument as 'tidied up over the last two years' then.

If you want to go back to 2019, when he played 21 games, he averaged 2.7 turnovers per game. Over the last 2 years he's also averaged 2.7 turnovers per game. Not exactly a tidy up.

23 minutes ago, Lord Nev said:

If you want to go back to 2019, when he played 21 games, he averaged 2.7 turnovers per game. Over the last 2 years he's also averaged 2.7 turnovers per game. Not exactly a tidy up.

For comparison Salem averaged 3.4 turnovers per game this year. 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Jibroni said:

If he needs a 3 year to contract to stay then I would prefer to keep him as well.

We must attempt to continually upgrade and improve our side, to achieve the best chance of long term success. That could among other things, involve letting DL favourites go.

• Like 7
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Demon Disciple said:

Hunt hurt us quite a few times this year with his poor disposal and decision making, especially some horrific turnovers in the finals (he wasn’t alone though).

However, we absolutely need his dash and dare, just further up the field. He would do very well on the opposite wing to Langdon.

Hunty's pace and 'dash and dare' would be great assets off the wing, but I doubt that he has the tank to play the modern (up and back) wing role. Perhaps this is why he's rarely, if ever, been tried there in recent years.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Diamond_Jim said:

If he leaves... these things happen

He's bottom 6 and has gone in and out of fashion selection wise before 2021. 

His age and form merits two years at around $425k. Other clubs might offer three and perhaps a little more.

Very similar case to that of Mitch Hannan from 3 years ago

I don’t think you can afford to pay 425k to a player who is boarder line best 22 unless they have some massive upside coming in the future, as per Lord Nev stats below there was only 267 players on 400k and over in 2021 or 14.8 players per club on average. Hunt at best would be worth the next rung below 300-400 which would on average cover the best 22 of each club. Even then what is his upside at 27 going on 28 vs keeping on players like JVR,  Bowey and Jordan who will all have interested parties and will need overs to retain.

2 hours ago, Lord Nev said:

That's incorrect. I think you're getting confused with the average salary, which is now around 370k.

Going by 2021 figures, there are more players in the 100k to 200k bracket than any other.

Source: Back in the money: Who are the AFL's million-dollar men?

qeV5HQD.png

Edited by Garbo
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Deeoldfart said:

Hunty's pace and 'dash and dare' would be great assets off the wing, but I doubt that he has the tank to play the modern (up and back) wing role. Perhaps this is why he's rarely, if ever, been tried there in recent years.

burst speed is excellent

ability to run up and back all day is definitely in question

i see him as a half back who is able to offer run and carry OCCASIONALLY - he's far too unpredictable with the ball in hand to want having him get it more than 15 times or so a game

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, adonski said:

Hunt should play as a pressure forward ahead of ANB

He was certainly tried as a forward before the 21 Season 

he was kicking nice goals preseason 

I wouldn’t mind seeing him forward 

We have never really known where his niche spot is, but his speed is an asset 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Lord Nev said:

Lord Nev is 2.7 high? What is the average turnovers in our team.

I'm 50/50 on this one. Think he has played his role admirably over the past two seasons. Nothing spectacular and he only seemed to get a licence to run when we were behind. Never had a bag kicked on him as far as I can remember. 

But the question is can we do better? I guess you never know until you start turning over your list. Would Moniz Wakefield benefit from new opportunities? Can Bowey improve his defensive game to fill this role? Is McVee up to it? Is there a draftee or a 22 year old at another club than could come in and do Hunt's role better?

I guess a bit depends on what Hibberd, Tomlinson, etc do as well, and whether Rivers, Bowey and others can dramatically improve.