Jump to content

  • Podcast:      

  • Podcast:     

Farewell Jayden Hunt



Recommended Posts


Two years isn't enough to keep Jayden, someone will offer more. It just sets the bar for an offer from another club to require 3rd round compensation.

We reportedly upped the offer and signed J.Smith to 2 years after he got interest from Sydney. But I don't think this is necessarily a positive sign for similarly retaining Jayden, quite possibly the reverse.  Particularly with reports Hibbo has been offered a year.

We need list turnover and cap space, and Jayden's exit as a FA with some compensation - pick 51? - seems likely to me.

Edited by old55
  • Like 3
  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

if ur hunt you take 2 years at melbourne before you go to wce, especially given you've played 20 games in each of the last two seasons. yes he might want 3-4 years but take the two and back yourself in to get another 1-2 after that

  • Like 2
  • Thinking 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

24 minutes ago, old55 said:

Two years isn't enough to keep Jayden, someone will offer more. It just sets the bar for an offer from another club to require 3rd round compensation.

We reportedly upped the offer and signed J.Smith to 2 years after he got interest from Sydney. But I don't think this is necessarily a positive sign for similarly retaining Jayden, quite possibly the reverse.  Particularly with reports Hibbo has been offered a year.

We need list turnover and cap space, and Jayden's exit as a FA with some compensation - pick 51? - seems likely to me.

Firstly, losing Hunt makes me very sad.

Re the FA compensation.  I would have thought an end of 2nd round pick approx # 37 especially if we do what other clubs do and get the receiving club to make the first two years $ of the contract such that he falls into this category ie top $50% of players.

  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Quite happy for Jayden to explore his options. Bowey has the same pace, but is cleaner and has elite ball use. Jayden should be a back up next year and Bowey should be in the team ahead of him.

Edited by A F
  • Like 7
  • Thinking 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites


14 minutes ago, Abyssal said:

Play him on the opposite Wing to Langdon.

Use his speed to our best advantage.

Too shaky in one on ones in defence.

I agree. Gotta be a better option than spargo on a wing which was tried this year. He needs to be more offensive of HBF , although opposition coaches tended to try exploit his poor one on one and limit his offensive run and often dragged their forward  deep

Edited by Bates Mate
  • Like 2
  • Love 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

59 minutes ago, mo64 said:

Would rather keep Hunt than accept a paltry compo pick. 

He offers pace in the backline which is important on offense and defence.

 

Yes I can see that. I have always been a Hunt fan.

I stand to be corrected as I obviously don't know the actual figures, but if we assumed Hunt $400k, Hibbo $500k, Melk $500k and Baker $150k that is $1550m and say Bowes backended contract if $700k. We have $850k next year to use.

Would you let Hunt go, delist Hibbo, Baker and Melk, get Bowes and pick7, a compo pick for Hunt and have more salary cap room to deal with?

I would.

Actually could still keep Hunt and be ahead on salary cap and have 7.

Edited by Redleg
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

52 minutes ago, Abyssal said:

Play him on the opposite Wing to Langdon.

Use his speed to our best advantage.

Too shaky in one on ones in defence.

Can't help but feel the opposite tbh. I thought he played some of his best footy of the year as a lockdown defender.

His disposal and decision making would cost us too much on turnovers on the wing.

  • Like 2
  • Sad 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Lord Nev said:

Can't help but feel the opposite tbh. I thought he played some of his best footy of the year as a lockdown defender.

His disposal and decision making would cost us too much on turnovers on the wing.

Each to their own.

For mine, his best moments this year were in the last minutes against Carlton, winning the ball near the centre, using his pace and getting it in deep.

His worst moments were getting caught out in a one in one marking contest as the last defender as well as  losing his man at a stoppage near goal.

  • Like 3
  • Sad 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, Lord Nev said:

Can't help but feel the opposite tbh. I thought he played some of his best footy of the year as a lockdown defender.

His disposal and decision making would cost us too much on turnovers on the wing.

The narrative of Hunt having poor disposal and decision making is overblown on Demonland. Over the past 2 years he has tidied up in both areas.

  • Like 9
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Abyssal said:

Each to their own.

For mine, his best moments this year were in the last minutes against Carlton, winning the ball near the centre, using his pace and getting it in deep.

His worst moments were getting caught out in a one in one marking contest as the last defender as well as  losing his man at a stoppage near goal.

Maybe I've got some confirmation bias happening, but I have far more memories of him running himself into trouble, making poor decisions, kicking it badly and being caught trying to run too far, than I do of him using his pace to get out of trouble and delivering well.

 

  • Like 2
  • Thinking 1
  • Sad 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, mo64 said:

The narrative of Hunt having poor disposal and decision making is overblown on Demonland. Over the past 2 years he has tidied up in both areas.

You mean when he's mostly played as a deep defender? He still turns it over nearly a third of the time he has it.

Across 2021 and 2022, he averaged nearly 3 times as many turnovers as he did in 2020. Not sure that counts as a tidy up.

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

59 minutes ago, Redleg said:

Yes I can see that. I have always been a Hunt fan.

I stand to be corrected as I obviously don't know the actual figures, but if we assumed Hunt $400k, Hibbo $500k, Melk $500k and Baker $150k that is $1550m and say Bowes backended contract if $700k. We have $850k next year to use.

Would you let Hunt go, delist Hibbo, Baker and Melk, get Bowes and pick7, a compo pick for Hunt and have more salary cap room to deal with?

I would.

Actually could still keep Hunt and be ahead on salary cap and have 7.

Again, who plays on the small forwards next year?

It's all well and good to look at this from a numbers perspective, but IMV Hibberd is very much a required played unless all of a sudden Maynard was available or someone of that ilk and ability.

Edited by A F
  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites


Yep, good thinking, ET. Always on the ball. Keep your ear to the ground.

  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Redleg said:

Yes I can see that. I have always been a Hunt fan.

I stand to be corrected as I obviously don't know the actual figures, but if we assumed Hunt $400k, Hibbo $500k, Melk $500k and Baker $150k that is $1550m and say Bowes backended contract if $700k. We have $850k next year to use.

Would you let Hunt go, delist Hibbo, Baker and Melk, get Bowes and pick7, a compo pick for Hunt and have more salary cap room to deal with?

I would.

Actually could still keep Hunt and be ahead on salary cap and have 7.

There's no way we'd be paying Melksham and Hibberd anywhere near 500k next year.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Lucifers Hero said:

Firstly, losing Hunt makes me very sad.

Re the FA compensation.  I would have thought an end of 2nd round pick approx # 37 especially if we do what other clubs do and get the receiving club to make the first two years $ of the contract such that he falls into this category ie top $50% of players.

I love you optimism but unless they are paying him $600k over 5 years it will be a mid 3rd rounder.

 

1 hour ago, Redleg said:

Yes I can see that. I have always been a Hunt fan.

I stand to be corrected as I obviously don't know the actual figures, but if we assumed Hunt $400k, Hibbo $500k, Melk $500k and Baker $150k that is $1550m and say Bowes backended contract if $700k. We have $850k next year to use.

Would you let Hunt go, delist Hibbo, Baker and Melk, get Bowes and pick7, a compo pick for Hunt and have more salary cap room to deal with?

I would.

Actually could still keep Hunt and be ahead on salary cap and have 7.

Hibbo wouldn't be on that much he signed a 1 year deal last year.  And Baker would be on at least $350 as even rookies get that amount.

Melksham signed a 3 year deal,  so 500ish would probs be around the mark I think.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, Travy14 said:

And Baker would be on at least $350 as even rookies get that amount.

That's incorrect. I think you're getting confused with the average salary, which is now around 370k.

Going by 2021 figures, there are more players in the 100k to 200k bracket than any other.

Source: Back in the money: Who are the AFL's million-dollar men?

qeV5HQD.png

Edited by Lord Nev
  • Like 3
  • Thinking 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

32 minutes ago, Lord Nev said:

Maybe I've got some confirmation bias happening, but I have far more memories of him running himself into trouble, making poor decisions, kicking it badly and being caught trying to run too far, than I do of him using his pace to get out of trouble and delivering well.

“Confirmation bias”     ???

Do you mean Your opinion ?

  • Thinking 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

33 minutes ago, Lord Nev said:

You mean when he's mostly played as a deep defender? He still turns it over nearly a third of the time he has it.

Across 2021 and 2022, he averaged nearly 3 times as many turnovers as he did in 2020. Not sure that counts as a tidy up.

He only played 6 games in 2020, and as a forward. Played 20 games in 2021/2022 as a defender. Nice try.

  • Thinking 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Demonland changed the title to Farewell Jayden Hunt

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Unfortunately, your content contains terms that we do not allow. Please edit your content to remove the highlighted words below.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
  • Match Previews, Reports & Articles  

    EYES ON RED & BLUE by Wilma from West Perth

    It was a great weekend for the Red and the Blue on this side of the Nullarbor.   On Saturday, West Perth bested Claremont by two goals after leading all day with the exception of a few early minutes to take out the WAFL Premiership and on Sunday, Melbourne scored a five goal win over Fremantle with a stunning four goals to zip in the final term.   Again, it was the red and the blue leading nearly all day to record their fifth win from six games.   The ou

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    THE TRADING CHRONICLES by The Oracle

    Part One - ZERO HOUR, 9AM The AFL Trade Period begins in earnest at 9.00am amid the announcement of a bombshell by North Melbourne’s 2021 Number 1 draft pick Jason Horne-Francis that he wants to leave the club and return to his home state to play for Port Adelaide.  The Herald Sun is reporting that “Horne-Francis will cite the instability at North Melbourne this year in his first season“ along with a likely continuation of chaos as a result of the uncertainty surrounding coach Alastair

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Special Features

    BLUE VIBE AT IKON by Meggs

    It was such a nice vibe at Ikon on Friday night.     Princes Park looked in excellent condition, a relaxed but modest crowd and President Kate Roffey and CEO Gary Pert in attendance, greeting fans and shaking hands.     It was an evening with little to complain about for Dees supporters, save for some drizzling rain, a few missed scoring opportunities and the fact that the Dees as raging favourites duly took the four points.   Carlton was always going to struggle to cover

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    BLUES AWAY by Meggs

    This Round 5 clash against the Blues at Princes Park (officially known as Ikon Park) is a great chance for the Dees to bounce back to the winning circle following our top-of-the-table loss to Brisbane last week.     Carlton will be missing several key players with the pundits calling 10 to nil.  Raging favouritism is never a comfortable thing for Melbourne supporters but we simply must deliver on Friday night.   History has seen these teams play four times since 2017 with the Dee

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    LIONS POUNCE by Meggs

    Early Sunday afternoon Meggs was coffeeing in Mornington and witnessing hail, thunder, lightning, rain, wind and feeling the freezing temperatures and knowing all these elements were heading towards Casey Fields.  Oh dear.  The Brisbane coach had said during the week that he wanted the game moved to Marvel because “if you're going to have two of the better teams in the comp playing, (it warrants) a venue and deck that suits the occasion”.  However, Casey Fields was uncharacteristi

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    RAINING PREMIERS by KC from Casey

    If the threatening dark grey skies that loomed above Ikon Park before the VFL Grand Final didn’t provide a sufficiently inhospitable reception for our visitors from sunny Queensland, the rains that bucketed down after quarter time certainly did. For years, the Casey Demons have welcomed opposing teams at their home fortress with rain, hail, wind and frosty conditions and it was just Southport’s luck that they met those conditions head on in the VFL’s big dance. They suited Casey’s skillful

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Casey Articles

    PRIDE OF VICTORIA by KC from Casey

    When Casey Demons coach Mark Corrigan talks about his charges putting their “best foot forward” on Sunday when they take on the Southport Sharks in the 2022 VFL Grand Final, it’s a signal that his team is on a mission not only for themselves but in  the name of their forebears, the Springvale Scorpions, and indeed for the pride and honour of the entire State of Victoria. The VFL club now known as the Casey Demons last won a premiership flag under the name of the Springvale Scorpions but tha

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Casey Articles

    NARRM AT HOME by Meggs

    For the fourth consecutive week, and the second week as the mighty Narrm, we take on a Top 8 team. Could this match be a preview of the Season 7 Grand Final?   Our opponents this week, Brisbane, stand undefeated atop the AFLW ladder after slaying the struggling Freo, and the unrated Giants and Gold Coast.  After amassing 225 points for and only 56 against, for a percentage of 401.8%, the pundits are claiming the Lions have the best attack the competition has ever seen.   Brisbane

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    CHANGES 2022 by The Oracle

    Part 1: The year we stood still (or did we?).  Premiership coach David Parkin who  coincidentally turned 80 yesterday, famously used to say that even a premiership team needs to bring at least five new players into the fold in order to advance from year to year and therefore, if this adage remains true, then the Melbourne Football Club really did stand still in 2022.  Of the players recruited after the club’s premiership in September, 2021, only Luke Dunstan (5 games) managed to provid

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Special Features
  • Tell a friend

    Love Demonland? Tell a friend!

×
×
  • Create New...