Dees vs Swans in finals

Dingo

Only ever played two finals against them - 1936 PF and 1987 SF.

Seemed like ridiculously low numbers for two clubs who have been in the comp from the start. Then I looked at Richmond and we've only played them twice - both in 1940.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Shocked 2

4 hours ago, Mr Steve said:

How good was that day.

I was 12, dad wouldnt take me to the game

I sat in the car and listened on the radio, tooted the horn every time we kicked a goal, until the neighbours complained that I was tooting the horn too much.

Other than that i have fairly vague memories of that finals series, except dad coming home after the hawthorn game, drunk, saying we was robbed. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 2
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, cookieboc said:

I was 12, dad wouldnt take me to the game

I sat in the car and listened on the radio, tooted the horn every time we kicked a goal, until the neighbours complained that I was tooting the horn too much.

Other than that i have fairly vague memories of that finals series, except dad coming home after the hawthorn game, drunk, saying we was robbed. 

I too was 12.

I remember crying in the stands after Buckenaras goal with everyone else. We WAS robbed

• Like 1
  • Love 2

This game along with the smashing of North were simply exhilarating. After such a long drought it was like the dam wall breaking. We played and won both games in such brilliant fashion. The team showed the football public that the North game was no once off fluke. After the game, like Paul Kelly’s iconic song, I ran across Gosch’s Paddock in Leaps and Bounds. My old man was seriously ill in Box Hill Hospital (these were the halcyon  days when you could get a bed in a public hospital).  He had been in trouble with the nurses for having his tranny on high volume and celebrating after a Demons goal. Our mutual joy was palpable as we reviewed the game and talked over the highlights. Memorable days. 

• Like 6
  • Love 3

14 hours ago, Mr Steve said:

How good was that day.

Best live footy experience of my life (until the GF win in a few weeks time! 😜). Was behind the goals at the city end, remember Robbie floating across the pack in the pocket right in front of me for a screamer and a goal. Never knew footy could be so good….

2 hours ago, Kent said:

Yes I watched it again last week

Brett Lovett starred We absolutely smashed them

Brett lovett was a star. His hanballing skills were just phenomenal, as was his ability to win contests.

Edited by binman

46 minutes ago, binman said:

In my opinion, Brett lovett sits only behind tracc and Oliver as the best mids I have seen play for the dees.

A star, with hand balling skills that were just phenomenal. 

I have a much bigger list of favourites, headed by sugar healy.

Mmnn, interesting take. Brett was, of course, more of a half back who set up so many attacking forays but could also keep an opponent quiet.

As for midfielders, I think Todd Viney is right up there. Was a big fan of Leoncelli, Jnr Mac, and Rigoni.

Greg Wells would probably be up there as well.  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, dee-tox said:

Mmnn, interesting take. Brett was, of course, more of a half back who set up so many attacking forays but could also keep an opponent quiet.

As for midfielders, I think Todd Viney is right up there. Was a big fan of Leoncelli, Jnr Mac, and Rigoni.

Loved Todd Viney as well, imagine him and Jack going head to head!

If not for injuries Steven Tingay would be right up there too.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, dee-tox said:

Leoncelli and Rigoni were incredible drivers for the whole team - ran all day - very talented with an abundance of skills frequently used to put the Dees in great positions across the game. Lovett was absolutely dependable and dominant - very, very few could compete against him on equal terms. The Macs came into their own, as well - albeit at slightly differing times. Viney was a great ball possession winner, yet his kicking - whilst usually long and powerful - was less than ideally accurate (most of the time). Great days ... great teams amongst many outstanding sides in those days. Ah, the memories....

Edited by Deemania since 56
  • Like 1

33 minutes ago, dee-tox said:

Yeah, you're right.

Not sure why I was thinking he was a mid. 

Greg Wells is definitely up there as best mid - particularly given a spot has just opened up!

10 minutes ago, binman said:

Yeah, you're right.

Not sure why I was thinking he was a mid. 

Greg Wells is definitely up there as best mid - particularly given a spot has just opened up!

Lovett played more mid under Balme, Binman.  Balmey often started him in the centre square.  Under Northey he was an outstanding attacking half back.  At the time - late 80's early 90's probably the best in the comp. Glenn Lovett was also an excellent mid albeit with dodgy hamstrings.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Sir Why You Little said:

The beautiful sight of “Sugar” Healy walking off the ground with his brother 

Never forget it

When Gerard left at the end of 1985 (when we were shizen), he said it was so that he could play finals. He got his wish - 4 finals for 4 losses though. 
But had he stayed he would have played in winning matches. C’est La vie!

• Like 1

I was in the Northern Stand Punt Road end about where the 50 metre line is today. Can't recall if they had a 50 line back then.

Do remember taping the reply. Geoff Leek was calling when Gerard Healy kicked (in hindsight) a ripper goal for the Swans out of the middle. Took a few bounces and one of the bounces didn't quite come back.

Leek said 'He bounced it on a cow pat'.

Edited by Deepfreeze

20 hours ago, Bring-Back-Powell said:

https://afltables.com/afl/stats/games/1987/111619870913.html

Won by 76 points but were actually trailing at quarter time

And I was there and it was brilliant - after we had flogged Norf by 100+ points the week before.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Tim said:

When Gerard left at the end of 1985 (when we were shizen), he said it was so that he could play finals. He got his wish - 4 finals for 4 losses though. 
But had he stayed he would have played in winning matches. C’est La vie!

Famously a 20yo Nathan Buckley waved goodbye to Brisbane to seek premiership success and glory at Collingwood. A decade later Brisbane completed their threepeat without him. I like Dogga very much but if he leaves I wish the same number of flags that Gerard and Nathan got with their new Clubs. 

• Like 2