2023 AFL National Draft prospects: The next batch

10 minutes ago, Lewis said:

Doesn’t seem like a great draft for midfielders inside the first round 

That’s one of the knocks on this crop. There are a few in the pool, but there are enough (minor) concerns to pick out on each that has them ranking more in the late 1st to 2nd rd mix (Cooper Simpson, George Stevens, Kane McAuliffe to name a few). Someone there will go well at the next level and have everyone thinking ‘why did they get picked so low’.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Colm said:

Conner O Sullivan is another player that is moving up the draft boards a bit. Do you know much about him @dazzledavey36?

Known him since a young tacker when he would be down in the footy sheds around gameday running water for our team.

Played footy and won a premiership with his old man Jamarl who was an absolute gun country footballer.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

10 hours ago, dazzledavey36 said:

Known him since a young tacker when he would be down in the footy sheds around gameday running water for our team.

Played footy and won a premiership with his old man Jamarl who was an absolute gun country footballer.

Very nice size and amongst Allies best against WA. A lot of talent in that Allies side it would seem. Tassie boys and Qld academy boys for starters.

‘Young Connor might have appeal.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, dazzledavey36 said:

WJ and dazzle I have been following the reports on the U18 Championships and according to the reports there appears to be quite a few players in each state team that are receiving recognition. This was touted as a super draft I would appreciate your opinion on how deep this draft will go and should we hold firm with our draft picks or trade up for 1-2 spots.???

• Like 1

West Coast has picks 1, 19, 36 & 38 based on current ladder positions and unfortunately, many of the top players in the current state titles are high-end and will go early. Pick 1 is worth 3000 points

Based on the current ladder position the only clubs with currency swap pick 1 for early picks are
1. North picks 2 & 17 worth 3542 points
2. GWS picks 5, 7 & 43 with picks 5 & 7 worth 2522 not enough to match pick 1. Throw in pick 43 @ 378 and you still don't get to 3000
3. Melbourne with current picks 8, 15, 27 & 34. 8 & 15 equates to 2663, throwing in pick 15 equates to 3366 points alternatively picks 8, 15 & 34 equates to 3205 so we would want something back

Off course clubs could offer future draft picks but the Eagles need players here and now. GWS could offer their 2 1st rounders this year and a 1st round pick next year for pick 1. 

Personally, on points alone I would offer picks 8 & 15 for Norths 2nd or Hawthorns 3rd and something back and go to the draft with 2/3, 27 & 34

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Older demon said:

West Coast has picks 1, 19, 36 & 38 based on current ladder positions and unfortunately, many of the top players in the current state titles are high-end and will go early. Pick 1 is worth 3000 points

Based on the current ladder position the only clubs with currency swap pick 1 for early picks are
2. GWS picks 5, 7 & 43 with picks 5 & 7 worth 2522 not enough to match pick 1. Throw in pick 43 @ 378 and you still don't get to 3000
3. Melbourne with current picks 8, 15, 27 & 34. 8 & 15 equates to 2663, throwing in pick 15 equates to 3366 points alternatively picks 8, 15 & 34 equates to 3205 so we would want something back

Off course clubs could offer future draft picks but the Eagles need players here and now. GWS could offer their 2 1st rounders this year and a 1st round pick next year for pick 1. 

Personally, on points alone I would offer picks 8 & 15 for Norths 2nd or Hawthorns 3rd and something back and go to the draft with 2/3, 27 & 34

As things stand I’d rather we try to get the Suns pick 9 with pick 15&27

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Older demon said:

I like where your mind is at, but I'd caution in getting too wrapped up in the value of points alone. They are a guide and mainly useful for f/s and academy bidding. We've regularly seen lopsided trades using the points system for various reasons. Usually when trying to trade up, clubs will have to "overpay" in points to entice the club.

Gws as it stands is in best position to make a play for pick 1 with their hand. As colm posted, our most likely option is GC picks 9. This is due to them most likely wanting to trade it out for academy bidding purposes.

Something left field might come out though and if Giants don't make a play for Reid then they are another potential trading partner.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Colm said:

As things stand I’d rather we try to get the Suns pick 9 with pick 15&27

And maybe use our future first with freo (currently pick 8) pick to get hawks or norths first round pick 

So we go into draft with pick 2/3 & 9 

• Like 3

22 hours ago, dazzledavey36 said:

I was wondering DD, whether or not you've come across an U16s lad by the name of Riley Onley? I hear he's the goods, but not eligible as yet.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, FireInTheBennelly said:

I was wondering DD, whether or not you've come across an U16s lad by the name of Riley Onley? I hear he's the goods, but not eligible as yet.

Yes mate, the boy from Shepparton United.

Whilst their is still water to go under the bridge with most kids during their 15's and 16's year level, Onley is a kid with serious talent.

For his age he's already quiet tall for a midfielder (193cm). Previous to this year he was alternating between forward and back before they switched into the midfield where he absolutely dominated.

Certainly one to keep and eye on.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 3

Any chance we can land Ashton Moir??

Would be a great compliment on the outside and can go forward and damage as well.

Proficient on either side and quality finish.

Silk!

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Demon Dynasty said:

Any chance we can land Ashton Moir??

Would be a great compliment on the outside and can go forward and damage as well.

Proficient on either side and quality finish.

Silk!

No.

His form has been horrible this year.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

The more I watch of McKercher, the more I think he'd be a great fit for us. 

Reminds me of Zac Merrett/Eroll Gulden. 

Classy, can still compete in the contest. Just a really composed play maker who is charging into the top 10.

I also think we should make a charge for one of GWS's picks. 

Two top 10 picks and a pick inside 20. Would be happy to trade our first and second rounder for next year to nail three players from the draft this year. 

• Like 2
  • Clap 2

4 hours ago, dazzledavey36 said:

No.

His form has been horrible this year.

While one match doesn't make a summer .... did you happen to warch the U18 Nats between Country & SA at Ikon Park a few weeks ago?

He was a stand out and imho bested Reid on the day with both coming back from issues (Reid from the head knock & Moir injury interrupted for much of thr season).

While he didn't get alot of it i felt it was quality over quantity.  All class, off both sides and finished with 2 goals.  Some nice chained scoring involvements also.

Reid played a fair chunk early as a forward with three early.  Then i think was moved into the middle after a while.

The other notable performers on the day for mine...

De Mattia, Shipp, Rudd and to a somewhat lessor degree Wilson for Country and...

Delean & Draper for SA

There were other VG performances but father-and-son or Academy so haven't listed like Welsh.  Kid's gonna be a monster size when he stops growing lol.

Edited by Demon Dynasty
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Demon Dynasty said:

While one match doesn't make a summer .... did you happen to warch the U18 Nats between Country & SA at Ikon Park a few weeks ago?

He was a stand out and imho bested Reid on the day with both coming back from issues (Reid from the head knock & Moir injury interrupted for much of thr season).

While he didn't get alot of it i felt it was quality over quantity.  All class, off both sides and finished with 2 goals.  Some nice chained scoring involvements also.

Reid played a fair chunk early as a forward with three early.  Then i think was moved into the middle after a while.

The other notable performers on the day for mine...

De Mattia, Shipp, Rudd and to a somewhat lessor degree Wilson for Country and...

Delean & Draper for SA

There were other VG performances but father-and-son or Academy so haven't listed like Welsh.  Kid's gonna be a monster size when he stops growing lol.

I did.

He was good that game but not great imo.

His form playing for the Academy this year has been really poor and even when he's gone back to SANFL level he hasn't been as productive as that recruiters were expecting especially with the huge wraps he had. His previous SA game prior to the Vic Country game was pretty poor as well.

He just seems way too much of a Chad Wingard for me who's very inconsistent and goes missing for too long of periods of the quarter.

There are players that in the draft that are speeding way past him in the pecking order. If he doesn't improve his form I wouldn't be surprised if he drops out of the top 20 order.

Just on De Mattia, I tok am a big fan. Tough midfielder who's also got a bit of class about. Thought he was exceptional against SA.

I also liked Billy Wilson off half back. Reminded me a bit of Hayden Young.

Edited by dazzledavey36
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Clap 1

I think dursma is our man 

Apparently we were keen on Bailey Humphrey and I feel dursma can be that dangerous half forward 

Maybe similar to Conor rozee, go into middle in a few years.

Hopefully freo pick is low so we don t have to trade up to get him 

Would be nice to have a draft of dursma / mckercher or Wilson

ports draft few years back when they got rozee & butters now mixed with wines & boak 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, dazzledavey36 said:

I did.

He was good that game but not great imo.

His form playing for the Academy this year has been really poor and even when he's gone back to SANFL level he hasn't been as productive as that recruiters were expecting especially with the huge wraps he had. His previous SA game prior to the Vic Country game was pretty poor as well.

He just seems way too much of a Chad Wingard for me who's very inconsistent and goes missing for too long of periods of the quarter.

There are players that in the draft that are speeding way past him in the pecking order. If he doesn't improve his form I wouldn't be surprised if he drops out of the top 20 order.

Just on De Mattia, I tok am a big fan. Tough midfielder who's also got a bit of class about. Thought he was exceptional against SA.

I also liked Billy Wilson off half back. Reminded me a bit of Hayden 

I've only seen that match.  Fair enough Dazzle.

De Mattia will be an interesting watch.

I thought Dursma was VG in that match but only in small snippets.  A bit underhwlemimg in terms of how he went across the four quarters vs the hype.  Young fellas can be inconsistent though and only one match of course.

Edited by Demon Dynasty
  • Like 1