Jump to content

  • Podcast:      

  • Podcast:     

The Run Home



Recommended Posts

12 hours ago, monoccular said:

Cats always make finals given their quaintly shaped home ground where very few opposition fans can attend. 
But what is their record at the G this year? Or any year and at any normal shaped and sized ground for that matter

It occurred to me last night. Wouldn't it be great if we played the Cats Alice Springs next year. 

  • Like 2
  • Love 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites



I think our best is the best in it. At the moment Geelong are the team to beat, but they’re running at their absolute peak, Danger is back, Selwood is playing well, Stanley is playing great footy, Blitsalvs also, De Koenig + Stengel are a revelation etc. all that is fine. Can they sustain it? When will the spate of calf injuries hit? Even their best is not as good as our best.


We have the most upside of any team in the comp. Atm Max and Luke have been out of the team/off their best form for weeks. Max’s last best form game was Sydney, Luke Brisbane, if both hit their straps again, look out! They got towelled up by Stanley against Geelong, I’m betting that won’t happen again. 
Salem is building but well off his best, his kicking is just not back to its best yet, the grubber to Lever this week is the prime example, if he gets back to his best look out! 
May also, he’s missing more kicks than usual and is taking less marks. Lever showed what he is capable of against Brisbane and if he brings that in finals we’ll smash it. Trac has built back to near his best the last few weeks but there’s more to go, Clayton was down against Geelong but he’ll be back, Viney has been ok but needs to stop bombing right footed kicks straight up in the air. Kozzie just got back into his best form for the first time this year. Frittata is showing glimpses but has more. Brown lifted for Geelong and was ok against Port but needs to kick straighter. Langdon is building back to his best but has been a little off the last few weeks, by his own admission. Our role players ANB, Spargo, Bedford, Sparrow, Harmes, Hibberd have all shown glimpses but can offer far more. In fact I would argue only Brayshaw and Jordon have consistently played their best over the past month. That’s a huge upside for a team that is 13-4 sitting in second. 

I’m hoping we get it all clicking again and smash these last five rounds, but even if we don’t, what is effectively a home final against Geelong at the G, or, less likely but possible, Collingwood or Carlton doesn’t scare me at all. 3rd or 4th playing a Melbourne team is fine, even playing interstate I believe we can beat anyone at our best, but I want to be there!
If we win the next two top four is assured and from there I would dare anyone to count the Dees out in the finals, no matter what happens the last three games. Our best is THE BEST we just need to bring it. 

  • Like 1
  • Love 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites


56 minutes ago, deejammin' said:

I think our best is the best in it. At the moment Geelong are the team to beat, but they’re running at their absolute peak, Danger is back, Selwood is playing well, Stanley is playing great footy, Blitsalvs also, De Koenig + Stengel are a revelation etc. all that is fine. Can they sustain it? When will the spate of calf injuries hit? Even their best is not as good as our best.


We have the most upside of any team in the comp. Atm Max and Luke have been out of the team/off their best form for weeks. Max’s last best form game was Sydney, Luke Brisbane, if both hit their straps again, look out! They got towelled up by Stanley against Geelong, I’m betting that won’t happen again. 
Salem is building but well off his best, his kicking is just not back to its best yet, the grubber to Lever this week is the prime example, if he gets back to his best look out! 
May also, he’s missing more kicks than usual and is taking less marks. Lever showed what he is capable of against Brisbane and if he brings that in finals we’ll smash it. Trac has built back to near his best the last few weeks but there’s more to go, Clayton was down against Geelong but he’ll be back, Viney has been ok but needs to stop bombing right footed kicks straight up in the air. Kozzie just got back into his best form for the first time this year. Frittata is showing glimpses but has more. Brown lifted for Geelong and was ok against Port but needs to kick straighter. Langdon is building back to his best but has been a little off the last few weeks, by his own admission. Our role players ANB, Spargo, Bedford, Sparrow, Harmes, Hibberd have all shown glimpses but can offer far more. In fact I would argue only Brayshaw and Jordon have consistently played their best over the past month. That’s a huge upside for a team that is 13-4 sitting in second. 

I’m hoping we get it all clicking again and smash these last five rounds, but even if we don’t, what is effectively a home final against Geelong at the G, or, less likely but possible, Collingwood or Carlton doesn’t scare me at all. 3rd or 4th playing a Melbourne team is fine, even playing interstate I believe we can beat anyone at our best, but I want to be there!
If we win the next two top four is assured and from there I would dare anyone to count the Dees out in the finals, no matter what happens the last three games. Our best is THE BEST we just need to bring it. 

Agree we have some significant upside in our players. There are a few other things that would be good to see:

- team settled with few changes, that is Goody’s approach as it just builds consistency that is critical under final’s pressure 

- the last 3-4 weeks just build form as we did heading into finals last year

- someone to step up into that last key forward position, TMac form wasn’t great in finals but played the role and enabled Fritsch, Kossie, & BBB to shine in the finals. Don’t care if it’s Smith( though his durability worries me), Weid, JVR even Petty with Tomlinson down back!

- Hunt our medi sub as provides flexibility

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, Kick_It_To_Pickett said:

Having just listened to David King and Joey Montagna on Fox Footy, the Bulldogs are certainties this week. In fact, according to King, the Dogs exposed us in Rd 1 and it was only luck we won. This bloke is a complete tool. He flips his opinion weekly. Can’t stand him

He also flips his opinion in the same slot that he's on.

In the same segment King said that the Bulldogs were average in their loss to St Kilda last week and Gerard Whatley didn't even interject regarding his error.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, CYB said:

It occurred to me last night. Wouldn't it be great if we played the Cats Alice Springs next year. 

😂 Scott would complain about how unusually wide the ground is and how the AFL should set maximum dimensions (but not minimum as that would impact their under 10’s sized field). 

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

As has been said the run home is a nightmare and there's no other term for it.

Two road trips against top 4 teams and 3 against final 8 aspirants.

Add to that a sputtering forward structure and you have to wonder.

This is where a good coach shows his value. Motivating tired players is an art. In a strange way the prolonged camp arrangements of 2021 may have played into our hands in our success last year. Not suggesting that we repeat it but freshening up players mentally is a must.

I still maintain we wasted an opportunity to refresh/manage key players in the two week block against North and WCE.

Is the hunger there... we're about to find out starting on Saturday night

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

At the start of the year August games looked like a training run with a good workout in the last round, based on where teams finished in 2021:

  • Freo: 11th
  • Magpies:  19th
  • Blues:  13th
  • Lions:  4th

Now they are desperate to take our top 2 or top 4 spot and we will be fighting for a double chance.

I had really counted on a win last night.   Top 4 would have been almost guaranteed. 

So deflating to lose and to let them take a chunk of % off us.

Edited by Lucifers Hero
  • Like 3
  • Sad 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, Lucifers Hero said:

At the start of the year August games looked like a training run with a good workout in the last round, based on where teams finished in 2021:

  • Freo: 11th
  • Magpies:  17th
  • Blues:  13th
  • Lions:  4th

Now they are desperate to take our top 2 or top 4 spot and we will be fighting for a double chance.

I had really counted on a win last night.   So deflating to lose and to let them take a chunk of % off us.

So, so deflating. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites


On 7/21/2022 at 12:45 PM, Diamond_Jim said:

As has been said the run home is a nightmare and there's no other term for it.

Two road trips against top 4 teams and 3 against final 8 aspirants.

Add to that a sputtering forward structure and you have to wonder.

This is where a good coach shows his value. Motivating tired players is an art. In a strange way the prolonged camp arrangements of 2021 may have played into our hands in our success last year. Not suggesting that we repeat it but freshening up players mentally is a must.

I still maintain we wasted an opportunity to refresh/manage key players in the two week block against North and WCE.

Is the hunger there... we're about to find out starting on Saturday night

Didn't you watch the North and WCE games? We WERE resting.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Finals start now. 8 weeks.

2x blockbusters at the MCG.

2x big Road-trips.

 Each game is against top 4 contenders.  

Our record v bottom 8 teams. 11-0

Our record v top 8 teams. 2-5. !!!!! 

A lot of players need a rocket.  We thought 10-0 it was all just good enough. But the warning signs were there with 1/2 or 3/4 game efforts good enough.  Not any more !!! 

Edited by spirit of norm smith
M
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

It seems the following are the likely outcomes after the four remaining matches

Win 4 - finish 1st or 2nd

Win 3 - finish 1st or 2nd

Win 2 - finish 4th to 6th

Win 1 - finish 7th or 8th

Win 0 - finish 7th to 9th

After starting the season 10-0, anything less than top four would be a poor result. It’s very difficult to win the flag from outside the top four, you’d need to be in ripping form and if we finished outside top four we’d be in anything but good form.

All our remaining matches are against teams that will play finals and could finish top four. Our record against top eight teams last year was brilliant. This year it’s abysmal. We’ll need to find form quickly or season 2022 is over. You’d have to consider it a waste considering where we were mid year and the fact we may lose some good players over the offseason and our list might get weaker in the short term from here.

Fire up Dees please!?!

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, Lord Travis said:

After starting the season 10-0, anything less than top four would be a poor result.

Correct   very poor   may win one more for year 14 wins  6  to 8th  prob  ...........    wasted year ....  to think half time against freo all was good with the world    then over the cliff......  rather disappointing really

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 minutes ago, gregdemon said:

Correct   very poor   may win one more for year 14 wins  6  to 8th  prob  ...........    wasted year ....  to think half time against freo all was good with the world    then over the cliff......  rather disappointing really

I don’t see us beating any of our remaining opponents to be honest. Carlton and Collingwood will draw huge crowds and they will drag their team over the line. Carlton have been waiting to play us since preseason. We seem like a side happy to rest on the laurels of last year and lack killer instinct. As strange as it is to say, Friday against Freo might be our best chance of a win. Never easy winning in the west, especially of another 6 day break. But that’s where the season currently sits. We cannot get it done against the top sides. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

What are the odds of us going 0-4 on the run home and Dogs OR St Kilda  and Richmond going 4-0 on the run home?

We’ll miss finals if that happens.

If Dogs lose next week to Geelong we’ll probably unofficially qualify regardless of  us winning another game.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Bring-Back-Powell said:

What are the odds of us going 0-4 on the run home and Dogs OR St Kilda  and Richmond going 4-0 on the run home?

We’ll miss finals if that happens.

If Dogs lose next week to Geelong we’ll probably unofficially qualify regardless of  us winning another game.

Yep. I’ll be barracking hard for Geelong next week, because although I think it’s unlikely, we could lose all of the remaining 4.

Dogs are a great clearance side. If they get a hold of the Cats, they could steal it. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, At the break of Gawn said:

Yep. I’ll be barracking hard for Geelong next week, because although I think it’s unlikely, we could lose all of the remaining 4.

Dogs are a great clearance side. If they get a hold of the Cats, they could steal it. 

Firstly, I think at worst we’ll scrounge at least one win, likely against Carlton. We played good enough footy at times last night to suggest we’re a genuine top 6 side.

Secondly, I expect (and hope) Geelong’s system to hold off the Dogs at Kardinia Park.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, spirit of norm smith said:

Our record v bottom 8 teams. 11-0

Our record v top 8 teams. 2-5. !!!!! 

I just remembered this was very similar to Port last year. Couldn’t beat a top 8 side until they beat the dogs in round 23 and then they smashed the Cats at home in the QF. Got found out in the prelim though…

Link to comment
Share on other sites


No drought breaking flag team has gone back to back since Adelaide 1997-8 and Brisbane 2001-3. Before that, you need to go back to Essendon in 1984-5. Plenty have missed this century - Port, Sydney, Geelong, Hawthorn, Collingwood, the Dogs, Richmond.

We're seeking to create some history. We've landed the fixture from hell.  We'll likely finish 5th, but we can still win it from there. Enjoy the journey - we're reigning Premiers.

  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Honestly the way Collingwood looks atm they're probably my second tip for the flag after Geelong. Well coached and lots of experience with good skills. Add in ridiculous talent and they have the recipe for a flag.

Carlton are flakey and it's a 50/50 contest against them. Can't see us beating Freo, Brisbane I can't say now, but I'm probably most confident of all games because we match up well against them.

We seem destined for an elimination final not so much because of how WE are playing, moreso because of how others are playing. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

59 minutes ago, praha said:

Honestly the way Collingwood looks atm they're probably my second tip for the flag after Geelong. Well coached and lots of experience with good skills. Add in ridiculous talent and they have the recipe for a flag.

Carlton are flakey and it's a 50/50 contest against them. Can't see us beating Freo, Brisbane I can't say now, but I'm probably most confident of all games because we match up well against them.

We seem destined for an elimination final not so much because of how WE are playing, moreso because of how others are playing. 

You obviously said this before the bombers banged on 5 in a row.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Unfortunately, your content contains terms that we do not allow. Please edit your content to remove the highlighted words below.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
  • Match Previews, Reports & Articles  

    BLUE VIBE AT IKON by Meggs

    It was such a nice vibe at Ikon on Friday night.     Princes Park looked in excellent condition, a relaxed but modest crowd and President Kate Roffey and CEO Gary Pert in attendance, greeting fans and shaking hands.     It was an evening with little to complain about for Dees supporters, save for some drizzling rain, a few missed scoring opportunities and the fact that the Dees as raging favourites duly took the four points.   Carlton was always going to struggle to cover

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    BLUES AWAY by Meggs

    This Round 5 clash against the Blues at Princes Park (officially known as Ikon Park) is a great chance for the Dees to bounce back to the winning circle following our top-of-the-table loss to Brisbane last week.     Carlton will be missing several key players with the pundits calling 10 to nil.  Raging favouritism is never a comfortable thing for Melbourne supporters but we simply must deliver on Friday night.   History has seen these teams play four times since 2017 with the Dee

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    LIONS POUNCE by Meggs

    Early Sunday afternoon Meggs was coffeeing in Mornington and witnessing hail, thunder, lightning, rain, wind and feeling the freezing temperatures and knowing all these elements were heading towards Casey Fields.  Oh dear.  The Brisbane coach had said during the week that he wanted the game moved to Marvel because “if you're going to have two of the better teams in the comp playing, (it warrants) a venue and deck that suits the occasion”.  However, Casey Fields was uncharacteristi

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    RAINING PREMIERS by KC from Casey

    If the threatening dark grey skies that loomed above Ikon Park before the VFL Grand Final didn’t provide a sufficiently inhospitable reception for our visitors from sunny Queensland, the rains that bucketed down after quarter time certainly did. For years, the Casey Demons have welcomed opposing teams at their home fortress with rain, hail, wind and frosty conditions and it was just Southport’s luck that they met those conditions head on in the VFL’s big dance. They suited Casey’s skillful

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Casey Articles

    PRIDE OF VICTORIA by KC from Casey

    When Casey Demons coach Mark Corrigan talks about his charges putting their “best foot forward” on Sunday when they take on the Southport Sharks in the 2022 VFL Grand Final, it’s a signal that his team is on a mission not only for themselves but in  the name of their forebears, the Springvale Scorpions, and indeed for the pride and honour of the entire State of Victoria. The VFL club now known as the Casey Demons last won a premiership flag under the name of the Springvale Scorpions but tha

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Casey Articles

    NARRM AT HOME by Meggs

    For the fourth consecutive week, and the second week as the mighty Narrm, we take on a Top 8 team. Could this match be a preview of the Season 7 Grand Final?   Our opponents this week, Brisbane, stand undefeated atop the AFLW ladder after slaying the struggling Freo, and the unrated Giants and Gold Coast.  After amassing 225 points for and only 56 against, for a percentage of 401.8%, the pundits are claiming the Lions have the best attack the competition has ever seen.   Brisbane

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    CHANGES 2022 by The Oracle

    Part 1: The year we stood still (or did we?).  Premiership coach David Parkin who  coincidentally turned 80 yesterday, famously used to say that even a premiership team needs to bring at least five new players into the fold in order to advance from year to year and therefore, if this adage remains true, then the Melbourne Football Club really did stand still in 2022.  Of the players recruited after the club’s premiership in September, 2021, only Luke Dunstan (5 games) managed to provid

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Special Features

    NARRM BLITZES EARLY by Meggs

    The last time we played the Saints, Pride Round 3 January 2022, it was an arm wrestle for 3 quarters and a Demons highlights package for 1 quarter. Oddly familiar was our outing to Moorabbin on Sunday, except this week we are Narrm and it’s Indigenous Round.   Our highlights package was contained to a first quarter onslaught. Superior work at stoppages and our mids dominant.  We showcased our run and carry and our dynamic forward line.  With Hore, Zanker twice, Bannan, Fitzsimon and Paxy al

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    THE CASEY SHOW by KC from Casey

    The Casey Demons will play in the VFL Grand Final at Ikon Park next Sunday after overturning their final round loss to the Brisbane Lions Reserves and dominating the Preliminary Final to emerge victorious by 51 points.  And while the distance in standards between the AFL and VFL at finals time is admittedly a wide one and the opposition and conditions different, there were a few Demons on display who excelled to the point where one was left to ask whether they could have made the difference

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Casey Articles
  • Tell a friend

    Love Demonland? Tell a friend!

×
×
  • Create New...