• IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Bevo unleashes on Tom Morris

dazzledavey36

13 minutes ago, Demonstone said:

I'll openly admit to being a caveman.

It all started a long time ago with his first band The Boys Next Door who became The Birthday Party and then continued on during his solo work and with long time cohorts The Bad Seeds.

WD7Nt7Z.jpg

He actually looks relatively chilled out in that photo! 

23 hours ago, Sir Why You Little said:

A closed app is a lot different to full public. His career is over. 
if i were Morris I would be getting serious Legal Advice, today. 
He has absolutely nothing to lose, plus it will be a fascinating test case 

His career is not over, but maybe it is with Fox.

He may not need legal advice if Fox paid out his full contract.

5 hours ago, Sir Why You Little said:

There is no way Beveridge knew anything about Tom Morris’ other indiscretions before the Press Conference of last Wednesday night. He just doesn’t want to add anymore to it 

Sorry WYL, but unless you are Bevo in disguise, you can't say that. Only Bevo really knows what he knew.

• Like 1

Not a word on this on The Front Bar, not a surprise as it's a "comedy" show but last week they were happy to show the Beveridge presser. Can't wait to see zero footy related shows discuss this story this week, let alone lead with it.

8 hours ago, Redleg said:

Sorry WYL, but unless you are Bevo in disguise, you can't say that. Only Bevo really knows what he knew.

In theory you are correct.
But in reality Morris would have beeen sacked a lot earlier if members of the public already knew of those audio grabs. 
nothing stays quiet in the AFL if people know about it. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Redleg said:

His career is not over, but maybe it is with Fox.

He may not need legal advice if Fox paid out his full contract.

He won’t work in front of a Camera for many years. Damaged goods, not just at Fox  

Those comments won’t be forgotten 

2D247F0E-2E44-4052-A588-35CF8E9DB97F.jpeg

6 hours ago, Sir Why You Little said:

He won’t work in front of a Camera for many years. Damaged goods, not just at Fox  

Appalling stuff as I go over it again. I can’t believe some just can’t come out and call it for what it is.

One day perhaps he will get back on air or in print. That won’t happen until he genuinely gets more than a superficial understanding as to why what was said was beyond the pale.

And I’d say that will take many years.

34 minutes ago, Colin B. Flaubert said:

Having just read him mention me yet again in the quotations (I have him on ignore but the Demonland ignore function is limited), I too probably owe the Cranky One a hug. 

He does need some form of recompense for the fact that I (and @dieter apparently) seem to live rent free in his head.

There seems to be something so profoundly troubling about what I say to him. If what I say is so easily dismissible, surely most on here would simply ignore it?

As the old saying goes, Col…

You throw a stone into a crowd of dogs and the one who hollers is the one you’ve hit. 

• Like 1

On 3/23/2022 at 8:01 AM, WalkingCivilWar said:

Sadly, there is and always will be. It’s just that most of them aren’t foolish enough to verbalise their Neanderthal beliefs (even in a ‘private’ chat), nor implicitly trust their knuckle-dragging mates. 
Even sadder is the fact that it’s not just in this industry. It’s in every domain. 

Yes, and it is a lot more widespread than we would like to think. Tom Morris would not have been one who l would have thought to have these sorts of views, but clearly in an unguarded moment revealed himself to be one of the worst of the worst, and deserved to go. I guess one of the few things we can take heart out of this is that Foxtel acted decisively and was followed by the industry as a whole providing almost universal condemnation: l don’t think that would have occurred even 12 months ago. Maybe times are changing for the better after all, but we still have a way to go unfortunately….

• Like 2

On 3/19/2022 at 3:46 PM, Lord Nev said:

I've not see anyone state that's their job or that's what they want though?

There's clearly boundaries to that, and IMO someone being not selected due to form is purely a football matter and not a personal one. Had he been not selected due to mental health reasons or any other personal matter then fair enough, probably not going to be ok in most cases and better to let the club handle it.

Surely though you are not suggesting that a player should not be dropped because he has mental health issues in case you hurt his feelings or it is likely to exacerbate his condition. No club would agree to that, but many rightly handle these issues by saying something like "Rested" or make up a physical injury by way of explanation. Which is as it should be. I think most clubs handle these issues pretty sensibly, but do not compromise their selection integrity.

20 minutes ago, Dees2014 said:

Surely though you are not suggesting that a player should not be dropped because he has mental health issues in case you hurt his feelings or it is likely to exacerbate his condition. No club would agree to that, but many rightly handle these issues by saying something like "Rested" or make up a physical injury by way of explanation. Which is as it should be. I think most clubs handle these issues pretty sensibly, but do not compromise their selection integrity.

General Soreness 

34 minutes ago, Dees2014 said:

Surely though you are not suggesting that a player should not be dropped because he has mental health issues in case you hurt his feelings or it is likely to exacerbate his condition.

Genuinely not sure what you're trying to say here?

I'm suggesting:

1) It's totally ok for players to miss games if their mental health requires it.
2) If a journo gets the 'scoop' on a player missing selection due to mental health reasons then they should generally let the club handle the release of information the way they feel is best.

AFL journos would generally be aware if a player is missing for any other reason than listed by the club and that's where the boundaries come in.

I think you might find mental health is more complex than 'hurt feelings'.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Lord Nev said:

Genuinely not sure what you're trying to say here?

I'm suggesting:

1) It's totally ok for players to miss games if their mental health requires it.
2) If a journo gets the 'scoop' on a player missing selection due to mental health reasons then they should generally let the club handle the release of information the way they feel is best.

AFL journos would generally be aware if a player is missing for any other reason than listed by the club and that's where the boundaries come in.

I think you might find mental health is more complex than 'hurt feelings'.

I agree on both counts

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Sir Why You Little said:

The statement is somewhat incoherent.  It could be very racist or not.  Unless you have the full context ie what was said before & after its impossible to judge.

• Haha 1
  • Facepalm 1

4 minutes ago, Cranky Franky said:

The statement is somewhat incoherent.  It could be very racist or not.  Unless you have the full context ie what was said before & after its impossible to judge.

I can't possibly see how it can be seen as anything other than terribly racist, homophobic and sexist.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Cranky Franky said:

You cannot be serious in any context here Franky, and if you are…

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Cranky Franky said:

I don't think it is in the least bit incoherent. It is very specifically racist (and sexist). It is saying it is ok to discriminate against people like this, but not me cos i am white and male. How much more racist do you want?

Edited by Dees2014
  • Like 5

On 3/22/2022 at 4:03 PM, jnrmac said:

And Tom Morris should sue his 'friend' for illegally recording him and ending his career.

Some people really don't "get" this.

I am glad it came out as it showed Tom Morris to be the plonk he really is. Whether the recording was made with permission or not (and in the days of iphone what difference does it make) it is important for us to know that Morris is a racist and is sexist. He had the power over the airwaves (and in print) and that information is relevant to the general understanding of where he is coming from in his writings and commentaries. It also informed Foxtel and the AFL as to who he really was, and so they were able to get him off the air before he did irreparable damage to both the AFL and Foxtel bands.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Dees2014 said:

Whether the recording was made with permission or not (and in the days of iphone what difference does it make) 

Again, he recorded the audio clip about his colleague HIMSELF.

Then posted it in a group chat.

The other one someone appears to have recorded. But as I understand it it was posted in the same group chat.

So he knew about the post.

Meaning he could have deleted them BOTH at any point after they were posted (and my guess is they were not recent posts).

Leaving aside the content, how stupid is he for, one making the audio recording HIMSELF. 

And two, not deleting both.

Edited by binman
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, binman said:

Again, he recorded the audio clip about his colleague HIMSELF.

Then posted it in a group chat.

The other one someone appears to have recorded. But as I understand it it was posted in the same group chat.

So he knew about the post.

Meaning he could have deleted them BOTH at any point after they were posted (and my guess is they were not recent posts).

Leaving aside the content, how stupid is he for, one making the audio recording HIMSELF. 

And two, not deleting both.

My point was that the recording it was so egregious, that was a good thing that it came out irrespective of whether he recorded it or not. He does not deserve a road back - there is no room for these sorts of Neanderthal ideas in todays media, particularly in an area so central to many people’s lives (AFL) and therefore very influential on impressional teenagers and others. 

l notice already the likes of Caroline Wilson and Eddie Maguire are flagging on the latest footy classified they are preparing to open the doors for Morris’s return in under a year which would be an outrage if this were to occur. I’m sure given their current attitude to this Foxtel would require considerable persuasion, although given Maguire/Wilson long standing “in” with Channel 9 nothing is impossible unfortunately.

Edited by Dees2014

Just now, Dees2014 said:

My point was that the recording was so egregious, that it was a good thing that it came out irrespective of whether he recorded it or not. He does not deserve a road back - there is no room for these sorts of Neanderthal ideas in todays media, particularly in an area so central to many people’s lives (AFL) and therefore very influential on impressional teenagers and others. 

l notice already the likes of Caroline Wilson and Eddie Maguire are flagging on the latest footy classified they are preparing to open the doors for Morris’s return in under a year which would be an outrage if this were to occur. I’m sure given their current attitude to this Foxtel would require considerable persuasion, although given Maguire/Wilson long standing “in” with Channel 9 nothing is impossible unfortunately.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Dees2014 said:

My point was that the recording it was so egregious, that was a good thing that it came out irrespective of whether he recorded it or not. He does not deserve a road back - there is no room for these sorts of Neanderthal ideas in todays media, particularly in an area so central to many people’s lives (AFL) and therefore very influential on impressional teenagers and others. 

I'm a million miles away from a Tom Morris apologist - and agree both audio clips were completely  repugnant.

But i reject the idea that he does not 'deserve a road back'. 

Everyone, no matter their 'sin', for want of a better word, deserves the opportunity for redemption.

To put things in perspective, Morris hasn't broken any law. He rightfully lost his job, has trashed his personal 'brand' (and for anyone working in TV or radio this is huge) and has suffered public humiliation.

Again, all of this is deserved and is function of both his own warped view of the world and his stupidity.

And perhaps even naivety in that he must have assumed none of his 'mates' would release the audio clips (by the by i'm guessing his what's app group  had a lot of people in it, almost certainly all blokes - maybe he [censored] one of them off and they saw an opportunity to 'sell' or give the clips to a wealthy bevo supporter).

I say naïve, because he is/was in the gossip and titillation game, so knows full well the interest and market value of these clips (and other such audio clips and/or text - which, I'll bet my bottom dollar there are heaps more of) 

But what would you have him to do? Never work again in his chosen profession? Even if he changes and understands how and why his comments were so wrong?

People can, and do, change. And people deserve second chances. Society would stop functioning if that were not the case.

Edited by binman
  • Like 4
  • Love 3